Found Safe NC - Tobias “Toby” Lucky, 8, seen near wooded area, Sydney Falls Trail, Crooked Creek, 24 Apr 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
MCDOWELL COUNTY, N.C. (FOX Carolina) - The McDowell County Sheriff’s Office is searching for a missing 8-year-old last seen near a wooded area on Sunday.

According to deputies, Tobias “Toby” Lucky, 8, was last seen on Sydney Falls Trail in the Crooke Creek area at around 7 p.m.

Deputies say Toby is 4 feet 9 inches tall, weighs 75 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing green sweat pants and a grey shirt, deputies say.

If anyone has information on his location, contact the Sheriff’s Office at 828-652-4000.

JJIPTSNEK5BK5PIJQAQY7S6GNA.png

Deputies searching for missing 8-year-old last seen near wooded area in McDowell County

Missing Child, Tobias "Toby" Lucky, 8, last seen near a wooded area on Sydney Falls Trail in the ... from McDowell County Sheriff's Office : Nixle

Teams from across the region are responding to a search for a missing 8-year-old in western McDowell County.

According to emergency radio traffic, the activity was in the Sky Falls Trail area off Catawba Falls Parkway near Old Fort.

At 10 p.m., crews from across the county were asked to help after the initial search earlier in the evening did not locate the child. Emergency workers were using drones and UTVs to try to locate the child.

UPDATE: Search is underway for a missing 8-year-old in western McDowell County

Oh, I want to just hug that cute, sweet-looking Toby!
Hoping he is home by now, but I worry...

And yes, it is indeed "Crooked Creek in McDowell County, NC
It's about 120 miles from Charlotte, NC, and about 25 miles from Asheville, NC.
---------------------------------------------
Here's a bit about Crooked Creek, NC --
Crooked Creek Township is located in North Carolina with a population of 4,129. Crooked Creek Township is in McDowell County. Living in Crooked Creek Township offers residents a suburban rural mix feel and most residents own their homes. Many retirees live in Crooked Creek Township and residents tend to be conservative. The public schools in Crooked Creek Township are above average.

About
Population

Source:
Living in Crooked Creek Township
--------------------------

Last edited:
MCDOWELL COUNTY, N.C. (FOX Carolina) - The McDowell County Sheriff’s Office is searching for a missing 8-year-old last seen near a wooded area on Sunday.

According to deputies, Tobias “Toby” Lucky, 8, was last seen on Sydney Falls Trail in the Crooke Creek area at around 7 p.m.

Deputies say Toby is 4 feet 9 inches tall, weighs 75 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing green sweat pants and a grey shirt, deputies say.

If anyone has information on his location, contact the Sheriff’s Office at 828-652-4000.

JJIPTSNEK5BK5PIJQAQY7S6GNA.png

Deputies searching for missing 8-year-old last seen near wooded area in McDowell County

Missing Child, Tobias "Toby" Lucky, 8, last seen near a wooded area on Sydney Falls Trail in the ... from McDowell County Sheriff's Office : Nixle
Shared and following since the alert went out.
As of 20 minutes ago he's still missing.
Map of the area.
FB_IMG_1650867602687.jpg
Chi

As heavily wooded as it appears, searchers are going to have a hard time finding him. An eight year old won't be easy to see wearing green and grey. I keep wishing parents would put brighter colored clothing on their kids.

I’m local. There was a large forest fire in the area on Saturday. I’ll get my own little boy off to school and do some more digging. It’s an extremely large wilderness area but the weather has been okay. Hug a tree, Toby, and stay put in one place!

I'll probably be adding updates today, so I'm sorry in advance for double posting.

This is in a gated community called Catawba Falls Preserve in the middle of nowhere about 15 minutes outside of Black Mountain, NC. Old Fort NC is about 15 minutes to the east. There are maybe 25 houses in there? It's hard to tell because it's so wooded and private.

My opinions are based on the fact that we own property in the preserve, although we only go up there about once a year. (We got the land at a great price with the thought that we might build at some point.)

There is a waterfall called Catawba Falls accessible by a fairly rugged trail from the Preserve. As far as I know, all of the other waterfall names are actually street names. For example, "Sky Falls Trail" is a street name, not an actual trail. I think every street in the preserve has "falls" in the name. There are some other trails but I don't know the names of them. The houses are very nice, with strict guidelines about building and such.

Based on the above post about this being a rental property, I believe this to be the place from which Toby disappeared.
Google Maps

The Crooked Creek fire is contained and quite a ways from Sky Falls Trail, so now that I'm looking at the map, I don't think there's a connection.

The Catawba Falls trailhead (the entrance from within the preserve) is quite a ways from Sky Falls Trail, so I don't really expect that to be an attraction for Toby either, but sometimes 8 year olds don't understand distance.

I'm noticing on the map that the left prong of the Catawba River seems to be down below the cabin. From experience, it is probably straight down the mountainside and probably very dense with rhododendron (just an educated guess). That's the only attraction I can think of for an 8-year-old boy in the area, so that's where I would naturally start. Hopefully he just sits down and waits instead of trying to find his way back. It's a huge area. :-(

Found safe! All that work for nothing, thank goodness!!!! I should have searched the news first. Sounds like he got lost in the woods. They are working now to "extricate him," so I'm guessing I was right about him being down an embankment. Alerting mods for a title change.
8-year-old child missing from McDowell Co. found safe

Update: Rescue crews find missing 8-year-old safe in McDowell County
From your link.

Just after 8 a.m. Monday, authorities confirmed with News 13 that the boy had been found safe and in good condition in a private development nearby. He was soon after reunited with his family.

He had crawled up under a bush and went to sleep last night," Kehler told News 13. "He was a pretty good ways from where he went off the trail. And we’re just so thankful and it’s a huge blessing not only to the family to have this kid back, uninjured and unharmed, but also to the emergency personnel who were out there all night and to see a happy ending - we’re just so thankful it turned out the way it did.”

The EMS director said Toby was located by rescuers who had been searching the area on foot.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks
Back