NC - Tyler McMillan, 13, dies while tied to tree, Macclesfield, 12 June 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did they have neighbors close by? I'm just wondering if anybody outside of the family was aware of what was going on?

VB

This was my very first thought when I read the story yesterday...I have to believe that no one who witnessed this would have let it go. I would not have let an animal tied up in that heat alone much less a child. My understanding was that the punishment was for running away.

Uh, yeah-funny that the boy preferred another location to his home.

I read in one of the articles that he may have been tied up for trying to run away. If I had parents that would tie me to a tree, I'd try to run away too. :furious:

ht_mcmillan_080613_mn.jpg

That poor boys' mother had died of cancer several years back. Of the 2 younger siblings, the younger boy is supposedly her son also. The daughter is the stepmom's. Maybe he was acting out if he was having trouble dealing with the death of his mother. Hopefully he has met up with her in heaven now. Those pitiful excuses of "parents" need to be punished.

I wonder how far their house was from others'? You'd think if there were close neighbors they would have reported that.

One of the videos showed the area and it looked very rural. There was a home across from them, but it didn't look like much on either side. It looked like small farmland. The neighbor across from them was interviewed. I believe I put "video" in the comment, so check that out if you get a chance. They showed lots of trees in their yard and I wondered which tree he was tied to. :(

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/06/nc-boy-dies-aft.html
N.C. boy dies after being tied to tree; parents charged with murder
He was first tied to the tree Tuesday and spent the night outside the family's farm in Macclesfield, SNIP
and was released Wednesday morning.
When the boy continued to misbehave that night, he was again tied to the tree, where he remained until his stepmother found him Thursday late afternoon. The temperature was in the 90s

A little more in this article:
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1107937.html

Both of the McMillans are widowed, according to past news reports.
Sandra McMillan's first husband, Dwayne "Scott" Wilburn of Rockledge, Fla., died in 2002 at age 38, according to his newspaper obituary. The couple had a daughter, Brynana Shay Wilburn.
Brice McMillan's first wife, Michelle Sasser "Mickie" McMillan of Greenville, died in 2004 at age 37, according to her newspaper obituary. The couple had two sons, Tyler Gene McMillan and Ryan Wesley McMillan.
Records show that Brice McMillan has been convicted of several driving violations, but nothing more serious.
Sandra McMillan was convicted of theft in Florida in 1991 and received probation, records show. Their first court appearances on the murder and child abuse charges are scheduled for Monday.
(more at link)

Hands and ankles tied.. that's so terrible, the poor kid; if he had to go to the bathroom, how humiliating.. a 13 year old boy. Sometimes i just don't know what in h3ll is wrong with people.

He is now with the mother who loved him and cherished him-the one he missed so much his friends said he was not the same since she died...peace to you lovely child.

Oh how sad. I wonder how the other children are? Will it turn out that they are abused as well. The child abuse in this country is just out of hand. I am a parent as well and I would never even think to tie my kid to a tree. What ever happened to making them do labor like clean out the closets or grounding them from friends for 2 weeks. :confused:

Oh how sad. I wonder how the other children are? Will it turn out that they are abused as well. The child abuse in this country is just out of hand. I am a parent as well and I would never even think to tie my kid to a tree. What ever happened to making them do labor like clean out the closets or grounding them from friends for 2 weeks. :confused:

Welcome, peacekeeper.:) I do wonder about the other children.

Very good post peacekeeper. I love your forum name. We need way more peace in this world. All over this whole world.

This is another particularly horrible case. To think of what that poor little boy went through. The pain, fear, being totally alone, heat, bugs, the dark. Probably so many other things. What was the poor kid thinking? Did he cry for his mom?

There seems to have been so many horrid cases the last couple days or so.
We do need more peace-- in every country, state, city, neighborhood and home.

Attorneys appeared Monday with 41-year-old Brice Brian McMillan and his wife 36-year-old Sandra Elizabeth McMillan of Macclesfield.

Edgecombe County District Court Judge Joseph Harper formally informed the couple of the charges against them.

A probable cause hearing was scheduled for July 2.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/16618250...l=gws_12pm&tmi=gws_12pm_1_11000306162008&ts=H

I woke up thinking about this case. I keep wondering "how" he was tied to the tree - I couldn't find such details in the articles. Being restrained in any way shape or form makes me lose my mind. Such a sad situation.

1)
http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/06/16/mcmillan.html
It's a sad case," defense attorney, Allen Powell, who represents Brice McMillan, said after the hearing. He declined to comment further.
A probable cause hearing is scheduled for July 2.
Reading the arrest warrants, Judge Joseph Harper Jr. said Tyler suffered serious bodily injury that resulted in bruising to the wrist, cuts to the entire body and missing flesh from the buttocks, all results from being tired to a tree for 18 hours.

2)
http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/06/16/tiedtotree.html?imw=Y
Tree:
image_7186129.jpg

3)
Video/pics of them in court:
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3048420/
The 13-year-old's father, Brice McMillan, 41, wept during most of the brief proceeding. Neither he nor his wife, Sandra McMillan, 36, acknowledged the other; both have retained separate attorneys.
Edgecombe County Sheriff James Knight has said the boy's wrists and ankles were bound with plastic wrap and that he was also tied to the tree with some other material.

A rope was seen dangling from a tree in the yard outside the house Friday, but Knight would not confirm whether that was used to tie the boy.

(more at all the links)

:(

I wonder if the haystacks were around the tree to keep him comfortable?!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back