GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He did not purchase it new and I am almost certain it did not have a loan on it
Thank you @Jeepguy

WELCOME to WS
I am sorry that your friend Andy is missing.

I looked through his FB and Instagram pages and looks like he loves life and is adventurous and loves to travel.
Praying he is found safe !!!!

Andy Banks is a good friend of ours and this is absolutely devastating news. Cameron Village is a very nice area of town too.

It sounds like he met them and I imagine they went on a test drive for the vehicle and at that point they had him.

What is the incentive for a crime like this?

BBM:

Welcome to Websleuths, Jeepguy!

I'm so sorry it's under such scary and stressful circumstances that you're joining us here.

If your friend did in fact go to meet someone about the sale of his vehicle and disappear, then the most likely answer to your question is simply this:

Theft is the motive, and greed is its root cause.

While the most likely explanation for AB's disappearance does appear to be foul play, there are other possibilities.

AB may have decided to take off voluntarily for a few days without telling anyone.

Has he been under any unusual stressors recently related to work, home life, finances, social distancing measures, etc.?

JMO.

BBM:

Welcome to Websleuths, Jeepguy!

I'm so sorry it's under such scary and stressful circumstances that you're joining us here.

If your friend did in fact go to meet someone about the sale of his vehicle and disappear, then the most likely answer to your question is simply this:

Theft is the motive, and greed is its root cause.

While the most likely explanation for AB's disappearance does appear to be foul play, there are other possibilities.

AB may have decided to take off voluntarily for a few days without telling anyone.

Has he been under any unusual stressors recently related to work, home life, finances, social distancing measures, etc.?

JMO.

No recent unusual stressors that I am aware of. He has a girlfriend, his brother just got married. A very happy and likable guy who really enjoys life.

I don't think there is a chance he voluntarily went missing

He did not purchase it new and I am almost certain it did not have a loan on it
Hey Jeepguy... before we all get into trouble & get posts deleted & the thread shut down... we can’t post “inside” information that is not backed by a media link. Since you know AB personally, you have an option to become a “verified insider” which enables you to provide additional info. It’s totally optional.

VERIFIED INSIDER PROCESS
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

And this might come in handy at some point.
WS LINGO
Websleuths Lingo

Hey Jeepguy... before we all get into trouble & get posts deleted & the thread shut down... we can’t post “inside” information that is not backed by a media link. Since you know AB personally, you have an option to become a “verified insider” which enables you to provide additional info. It’s totally optional.

VERIFIED INSIDER PROCESS
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

And this might come in handy at some point.
WS LINGO
Websleuths Lingo

I will be careful with what I post, sorry about that!

Flyers are up outside of homes near Cameron Village. Just across the street - in this parking lot - is where William Banks was last seen before he went missing. #ABC11

(video)
https://twitter.com/AthansABC11/status/1305523022409981952

There’s a desperate attempt to find 39-year-old William “Andy” Banks. He went missing Saturday afternoon and was last seen in Cameron Village. We know he had been trying sell his Range Rover. #ABC11

Eh4pIs9WsAAmMGg.jpeg
https://twitter.com/AthansABC11/status/1305526184273424384

Missing Raleigh man's car, phone spotted around Pittsylvania County

SABBM:

"He met two people from Craigslist to try and sell his car," friend Amanda Finch told the Star-Tribune this morning. "He hasn’t been seen or heard from since.
<snip>
A respondent to Finch's Facebook post about Banks's disappearance reported seeing his silver 2012 Range Rover off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off. <snip>

The last sighting of his car was last night around 8:30 p.m.

Banks's cell phone was also found on North Carolina interstate 440 heading west from Raleigh toward Danville.

"We have friends that are tech people," Finch said. "They were able to look through Andy's messages through a cloud on his laptop that was at home. They were able to find out that the phone number they were using to text Andy was a burner phone."

So, his vehicle hasn't been located.

Burner phone used to text AB about the Craigslist ad = Flag.

His cell phone tossed off the side of the road = Flag.

This isn't sounding good.

At all.

JMO.

Last edited:
If the Range Rover had been sold, he would likely remove the Craigslist Ad.
if he were alive and able to do that - yes, it is customary to remove the ad. I don't like this one bit - I've sold 3 cars through Craigslist/Facebook marketplace and there are so many scammers out there - I'm not liking this one bit.

JMO

Missing Raleigh man's car, phone spotted around Pittsylvania County

SABBM:

"He met two people from Craigslist to try and sell his car," friend Amanda Finch told the Star-Tribune this morning. "He hasn’t been seen or heard from since.
<snip>
A respondent to Finch's Facebook post about Banks's disappearance reported seeing his silver 2012 Range Rover off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off. <snip>

The last sighting of his car was last night around 8:30 p.m.

Banks's cell phone was also found on North Carolina interstate 440 heading west from Raleigh toward Danville.

"We have friends that are tech people," Finch said. "They were able to look through Andy's messages through a cloud on his laptop that was at home. They were able to find out that the phone number they were using to text Andy was a burner phone."

So, his vehicle hasn't been located.

Burner phone used to text AB about the Craigslist ad = Flag.

His cell phone tossed off the side of the road = Flag.

This isn't sounding good.

At all.

JMO.

Agreed. It’s also highly concerning that the phone was thrown out in Raleigh but the car was spotted about 2.5 hours away in Va.

I fear AB might be in Raleigh and not in a good way.

I would think range rover has a gps tracker in that vehicle, now whether or not they have disabled it or if the police are working with range rover corp, remains a question. I'm sure they are and even if they disabled it, that would at least give last know location before it was disabled, plus highway cams should found where that vehicle has or is traveling. "Covert and powerful, Range Rover Trackstar is a Thatcham Category S5 tracking device that locates your car accurately through the latest GPS and GSM technology in case it's ever stolen. ... " on their website they have a thing called the "incontrol" to locate your vehicle.. So im sure they are tracking something. Land Rover InControl® Stolen Vehicle Locator | Land Rover USA

This article got updated: Missing Raleigh man's car, phone spotted around Pittsylvania County

Update 12:33 p.m.: Danville police confirmed that DPD is assisting the Raleigh police department in "any manner possible."

"The leads [that] were given to us from RPD have been followed up on and without locating Banks," Danville police Lt. Paul Deel said.

Question for those who have followed similar stories, is someone usually found guilty? Does the person eventually turn up or are there a lot of cases where nothing more is ever discovered?
IMO if LE can track the vehicle/phone there is a good chance he will be found. If they just wanted the vehicle, and that's what they now have, maybe they beat him up a bit and left him somewhere? It really depends on who these two are - I'm so sorry for your friend. and hoping for the best.

JMO

Question for those who have followed similar stories, is someone usually found guilty? Does the person eventually turn up or are there a lot of cases where nothing more is ever discovered?

Take this with a grain of salt because I’m not super experienced but someone is usually found guilty. There are a lot of cameras around Cameron Village, so hopefully one of them captured the perps pulling up in their car and getting out. Then you have gas station cameras and at some point the perps would have needed to stop for gas, and then all the cameras on the highways now, and potential for the perps to have to go through toll roads/toll booths.

440 and I40 west have cameras all over them to report on traffic.

This story doesn’t have a good feeling right now but I doubt the perps get away with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back