GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If he’s been buying and selling cars for awhile, is it common for him to go on a test drive with potential buyers? Or have them go alone? I have not heard of sellers going along in the car with strangers. That sounds dangerous.

Agreed, this was puzzling to me also. And with Covid, getting in a car with two strangers is really high risk too.

And Cameron Village is way too busy on a Saturday to think he could be forced into a vehicle against his will and not make a huge scene and immediately be noticed.

Last edited:
Raleigh local here. You wouldn't really get on 440 to head to Danville, but there is a portion of 440 that is also I-40 (we call 440 the Beltline). Perhaps the perpetrators didn't know that. It's easy to get mixed up in that section of roadway if you aren't familiar with the ins and outs.

There HAS to be cameras in Cameron Village. BUT, one thing that sticks out to me is that the K&W closed permanently recently. So, even though Cameron Village is a busy spot, that section of the shopping center might not have been.

The gentleman's phone was reported to have been found near exit 287. That exit is I-40 West at Harrison Avenue. I'm guessing it was mistakenly reported as Exit 287 on I-440. So it would be headed West towards the Danville, Va area. I have used I-40 and 29 to travel to that area as my grandparents lived there.

The gentleman's phone was reported to have been found near exit 287. That exit is I-40 West at Harrison Avenue. I'm guessing it was mistakenly reported as Exit 287 on I-440. So it would be headed West towards the Danville, Va area. I have used I-40 and 29 to travel to that area as my grandparents lived there.

Umstead Park and various woods are to the right off Harrison Ave. however, on a Saturday afternoon there would be a lot of hikers/bikers out in that area and cars parked along the road.

It would be worth trying to get this info out to any Raleigh cycling/Umstead type groups to see if anyone noticed that Range Rover Saturday afternoon.

This is local to me. I was watching the news at 5 when they aired an interview with his brother& parents(?) Nothing new was really said other then what’s already been posted here. Except they briefly mentioned that they didn’t think his going missing was related to an “incident” from his past, they didn’t say what the incident was though. I’m going to watch again at 11 cause I’m sure they’ll replay it to make sure they referred to it as an incident. Maybe it has nothing to do with this but who knows.

Umstead Park and various woods are to the right off Harrison Ave. however, on a Saturday afternoon there would be a lot of hikers/bikers out in that area and cars parked along the road.

It would be worth trying to get this info out to any Raleigh cycling/Umstead type groups to see if anyone noticed that Range Rover Saturday afternoon.

There are also gas stations at that exit on Harrison. They would have cameras.

That makes more sense actually. When I originally heard 440, there wasn’t an exit # provided.

As in, you think there is more to it potentially than what it seems. With the car "buyers" kidnapping him and taking off?

I think that it was meant to look like a car buy but wasn't. So what was is it? If it was a kidnapping, it's unlikely to be random; Andy appears to be an average middle-aged guy, he isn't wealthy nor is his family, that we've heard. And no ransom has been requested. So if he was kidnapped, it was likely personal to him, IMO.

But kidnapping wasn't foremost on my mind, though. What was the incident his family alluded to in the news interview, I wonder?

Also, the quarry is to the right off Harrison Ave (exit 287), coming from Raleigh, before the entrance to Umstead Park. But it’s not apparent from I-40 as it’s hidden by trees.

Also, the quarry is to the right off Harrison Ave (exit 287), coming from Raleigh, before the entrance to Umstead Park. But it’s not apparent from I-40 as it’s hidden by trees.

Active quarry. I don’t know about a Saturday, but I wouldn’t expect to drive into that quarry inconspicuously.

I wonder if the phone was found along the exit ramp (indicating they’d left the highway at exit 287), or just near there. The highway itself is busy in that spot. I think I’d notice something being thrown from the window from a RR in front of me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back