NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, from other cases of kids who were reported missing, weeks, months or even years later, it's usually because of an upcoming event that forces that hand. Social services makes demand to see the child. A family member starts asking questions. A non custodial parent had started demanding to speak or see the child. I wonder what the upcoming event was?

Could it have been the fire? Obviously not if they started the fire in order to destroy evidence but if it was an unrelated fire and they were afraid that LE would want to investigate if it was an arson or something and would be in their business and notice that there were minus one child.

Coincidentally she came out screaming while AB was dealing with the people investigating the fire and it seems like it could have been staged for the benefit of the investigators.

Clarification on the note:

HICKORY, N.C. -- A search warrant released Monday details what may now be a stranger abduction in the case of missing 10-year-old Hickory girl, Zahra Baker.

According to the search warrant, investigators showed up at the residence responding to a brush fire outside the home on Saturday morning when they found a ransom note inside inside a Chevy Tahoe that was parked outside.

The note claimed a girl had been kidnapped and demanded $1 million dollars in unmarked bills. The words "no cops" were scribbled nearby.

Hickory police chief Tom Adkins said Chief said "We are questioning the validity of that note. We have no further demands from the note."

The note was addressed to Zahra's dad's boss and when his daughter was found safe police left.

Seven hours later a second call this time Zahra was reported missing. According to the search warrant her dad believes the kidnappers took her.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25354656/detail.html

Ok I bolded and underlined. If they were there to investigate a fire at 5:30am on saturday and found a ransom note on the car and it states that we have your daughter... and then she wasn't reported missing till 2pm that afternoon??? Am I missing something here??

The note was addressed to Z's dad's boss. Mr. Coffy. He also owns the house they rent.

The police checked to see if Mr. Coffy's daughter was okay. Not Z.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25355983/detail.html

Timeline of events as they are now:

• SUNDAY AFTERNOON: Police gathered surveillance video from businesses near the home to put together a better timeline of events leading to her disappearance.
• SUNDAY AFTERNOON: Investigators also followed up on a call for service by the Hickory Fire Department at the home where Zahra lives with her parents for a small fire that started on the front lawn.
• SUNDAY AFTERNOON: A dozen Hickory police officers went door to door throughout Zahra's neighborhood Sunday afternoon, talking to dozens of residents and handing out Zahra's photograph. Officers looked into basement windows, and walked deep into the woods.

I am unsure if this has been posted yet.

Ok I bolded and underlined. If they were there to investigate a fire at 5:30am on saturday and found a ransom note on the car and it states that we have your daughter... and then she wasn't reported missing till 2pm that afternoon??? Am I missing something here??

The note wasn't addressed to the father-it was addressed to his boss who is also the owner of the home-
I'd guess they didn't demand to see Zahra because the family wasn't the target of the note.

Clarification on the note:

HICKORY, N.C. -- A search warrant released Monday details what may now be a stranger abduction in the case of missing 10-year-old Hickory girl, Zahra Baker.

According to the search warrant, investigators showed up at the residence responding to a brush fire outside the home on Saturday morning when they found a ransom note inside inside a Chevy Tahoe that was parked outside.

The note claimed a girl had been kidnapped and demanded $1 million dollars in unmarked bills. The words "no cops" were scribbled nearby.

Hickory police chief Tom Adkins said Chief said "We are questioning the validity of that note. We have no further demands from the note."

The note was addressed to Zahra's dad's boss and when his daughter was found safe police left.

Seven hours later a second call this time Zahra was reported missing. According to the search warrant her dad believes the kidnappers took her.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25354656/detail.html

That goes against what the dad said this morning on a morning show. He said he doubted it, but it may be possible his wife had something to do with it.
Now he is saying he thinks the kidnappers took her.

Any ideas how a kidnapper could have gotten into the house?
I've not read of any forced entry or anything.

Human remains? When human remains are burning most people have to cover their eyes - they tear up from the odor. How is it the dogs missed such an odor - guess they weren't cadaver dogs. This is a horrible scenario. moo
"Evidence of human remains". Could this not be similar to Caylee Anthony being in Casey's car trunk for a few days and not there when her car was found; but in this case possibly the car was burned to try to destroy remaining "evidence"? I thought the dogs that were there initially were looking for a "live" Zahra; not cadaver dogs. MOO

This is a long shot, but could they be telling the truth and in actuality, kidnappers took Zahra for ransom thinking it was Mr. Coffey's daughter, not realizing that he owned the home but didn't actually live there?

Still not sure why a ransom note would be left in a car . . . ?

This is a long shot, but could they be telling the truth and in actuality, kidnappers took Zahra for ransom thinking it was Mr. Coffey's daughter, not realizing that he owned the home but didn't actually live there?

Or, why dogs alerted to human remains at the house.

The note said, ”Mr Coffey, you like being in control now who is in control. We have your daughter and your pot smoking red head son is next unless you do what is asked. One million unmarked will be in touch soon.”

Mr Coffey owns the home the Bakers live in and he doesn't have a son. Police would not answer questions about that note.

http://charlotte.news14.com/content...nts--ransom-note-found-at-missing-girl-s-home

This is strange. Why does the note refer to a redhead son if he doesn't even have a son? Is it supposed to convey that these are really bumbling gangsters who didn't bother to find out anything about Mr. Coffey even though they hate his guts so it's quite understandable that they mistook Zahra for his daughter.

You have a fire, you find a note, and then you go "Oh, ok....lol, wrong house, but the kids ok"....and just leave it at that?????? I think we're missing pieces here.

The note wasn't addressed to the father-it was addressed to his boss who is also the owner of the home-
I'd guess they didn't demand to see Zahra because the family wasn't the target of the note.

Thanks... Now sounds like to me since the dogs are scenting human remains in the parents vehicles that this was all a set up. Step mom burns evidence cause I read where there was clothing in that fire.. writes the note puts on bosses vehicle then reports zahra missing maybe claiming they must have grabbed the wrong girl...

I would like to think it was just a big mistake but my gut says NO WAY!!!

http://injail.catawbacountync.gov/WhosInJail/

Looks like they are still piling on the charges:

2 more DWLR from 2004 and 2005 added today (had to be this afternoon b/c I have been checking throughtout the day)

DWLR;OPERATE VEH NO INS $200.00 11/18/2010 05 CR 001219
DWLR;FICT/CNCL/REV REG CARD/TAG $500.00 11/18/2010 04 CR 000362

I think that they thought that when the fire dept found the note they would ask them about Zahra also..not just the bosses daughter. They didn't take the bait..so they wait until the afternoon and call into LE that their daughter is missing.

Thanks... Now sounds like to me since the dogs are scenting human remains in the parents vehicles that this was all a set up. Step mom burns evidence cause I read where there was clothing in that fire.. writes the note puts on bosses vehicle then reports zahra missing maybe claiming they must have grabbed the wrong girl...
I'm quoting myself now lol..
But knowing all of this don't ya think the parents would've checked on zahra after the note was found just to make sure she was safe.. I know I would with my kiddos if I knew there was a possible kidnapping wannabe in the area.

Or, if the note was found on a car in your yard, you would think you would check on your children. KWIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts1979