NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long has the stepmother been in the picture?

Ten-year-old Zahra Baker was all smiles as she was fitted with her device.

Baker lost her hearing during chemotherapy treatments for two bouts of cancer.

According to her mother, Elesa, Baker suffers from what is known as high frequency hearing loss. As such, she has a difficult time hearing "s" and "f" sounds.

A hearing resource teacher at Baker's school in Hudson, N.C. mentioned the Speedway Children's Charity giveaway to Elesa, who jumped at the chance to help her daughter regain her normal hearing.

http://www2.independenttribune.com/...ns-charity-helps-bring-hearing-tho-ar-248536/

Hmmm just trying to think.. does fact that she is referred to as Zahra's mother maybe indicate she has been in the picture for quite a while? JMO

So whats the general concensus with this case?

Prayers this child is found safe....:praying:

I'm just sick over this.

I don't have a good feeling about this case at all :-( But OH how I pray I am wrong. What an adorable little freckle faced angel, and it sounds like she's endured so much already in just 10 short years. I am sure hoping to come on here in the morning and find out Zahara's been found SAFE (can't tell if her name is really Zahra or Zahara....even the different news links have it both spellings).

VIDEO of this sweet, beautiful little girl. I did not think the video worked, but left it open and it did start after a while. I was hoping to see the part where they walked her through how to use the device, but it's not there. Stepmom has some nice hair there.

I was going to also say... this stepmom seems like someone who was quite involved in this little girl's care. You would be amazed at the number of people who do not know what kind of hearing loss their child has.

Of course, that doesn't mean she's innocent....but I thought I'd give her that credit.

I really don't like the look on her face in her mugshot though. :(

The video is with this article:

http://triangle.news14.com/content/...ups-donate-hearing-aids-to-81-people?ap=1&MP4

Baker has a hint of an Australian accent and a faint speech impediment from her hearing loss, a result of her fight with cancer. She also lost her leg, but she didn't lose her will.

"A lot of people don't understand that treatment does tend to take other things away from you," said her mother Elesa Baker, at an event at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

As Baker moved from station to station, her hearing improved with the donated device.

"Better than without them, so I can actually hear more than without my hearing aids in," she told multiple news crews Monday.

http://www2.independenttribune.com/...ns-charity-helps-bring-hearing-tho-ar-248536/

Ten-year-old Zahra Baker was all smiles as she was fitted with her device.

Baker lost her hearing during chemotherapy treatments for two bouts of cancer.

According to her mother, Elesa, Baker suffers from what is known as high frequency hearing loss. As such, she has a difficult time hearing "s" and "f" sounds.

A hearing resource teacher at Baker's school in Hudson, N.C. mentioned the Speedway Children's Charity giveaway to Elesa, who jumped at the chance to help her daughter regain her normal hearing.

"She said this would be a wonderful opportunity to open up other opportunities," Elesa said.

Elesa, who fought back tears as volunteers walked her daughter through how to use the new hearing device, said she looked forward to the opportunities the gift will bring Zahra - opportunities to better understand her teachers and friends at school, and better communicate with her family.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/Amber-Alert-issued-for-missing-Hickory-girl-104644679.html

The FBI, SBI and US Marshal's Office are all assisting in the search for Zahra.

From the video:

"Police were called to her home around 5am Saturday for a brush fire in the backyard. No one checked at the time to see if Zahra was still sleeping or even okay in all the commotion."

zahra00055.jpg
zahra0004.jpg

Just couldn't sleep because I keep thinking of beautiful Zahra, the child who survived so much.

As mentioned above by MsFactious that if mom went through surgery with Zahra, 2 bouts of chemotherapy, and noticed developmental issues that are a result of hearing loss, she had to have invested a great deal of time and love into her child. Doesn't make sense she would do anything to bring harm to such a brave little girl...Zahra is a survivor. She is beautiful and the video is precious. Zahra missing is so disturbing to me, she must be found ASAP. moo mho

Wondering who started the brush fire in the backyard? moo mho

I am wondering if the fire was actually a bonfire? That could explain why they were all up so late that night, and didn't check on Zahra until so late the next day. If it was a bonfire, there likely would have been more people there, and quite possibly drinking.

Just heard on HLN that there will be a press conf. at 10:30am. this morning.

http://charlotte.news14.com/content/top_stories/631325/search-continues-for-missing-hickory-girl/

Praying she is found safe and sound soon... her little freckled face is so sweet.

From the link: Neighbors say they have never seen the child there... more strange things....

WTH? How does a ten year old child NOT ever go outside? I wonder how long the Baker's have lived at this address? Is there a way we can check? Maybe some of our posters from the Hickory area will know.

This makes me wonder just exactly for how long Zahra has been missing. You are right sadnpod......more stange things.

Prayers that this adorable child is found. I hope they find you Zahra!

(stepmom didn't appear to happy about being put into the squad car in that video, did she?)

MOO ....wm

She's a very well spoken little girl... adorable as ever with those freckles. I ponder, too, how she could live there and not be seen by the neighbors. If she was in school, surely she had to be seen coming and going from the house. Heck, there are Halloween decorations in the yard: kids tend to love taking part in decorating the yard for that. Now, I could understand the elderly gentleman might not seeing her, if he doesn't get out much, but others not seeing her... odd, indeed.

elphaba, I recall reading somewhere on this thread that Zhara was home schooled. I don't know if the report has been verified tho.

MOO

wm

According to information just shared by the father on Good Morning America, the fire was in the backyard that morning after Zahra had been checked on in her room at 2:30 am. I don't recall what time the father said, but he did let it slip out.

He also said that the step mother (and not him--he was sleeping he said) was the one who checked on Zahra at 2:30.

The father also seemed to have a job that kept him away form the house during the hours when Zahra would normally be awake. He said he had last seen her himself on Thursday night when they went to bed. He said he had gotten up and gone to work the next morning before Zahra was up, then returned home after she was asleep that night.

FWIW, the father seemed to not have too much confidence in his wife's innocence. He let it slip that "based on what he's been told" he thinks she might be involved.

IMO, the fire in the backyard was likely an attempt at evidence destruction by the SM or both of them.

Very sad.

Thank you, EastCoast. This child needs to be found NOW. I hope the PC is not bad news.

WTH? How does a ten year old child NOT ever go outside? I wonder how long the Baker's have lived at this address? Is there a way we can check? Maybe some of our posters from the Hickory area will know.

This makes me wonder just exactly for how long Zahra has been missing. You are right sadnpod......more stange things.

Prayers that this adorable child is found. I hope they find you Zahra!

(stepmom didn't appear to happy about being put into the squad car in that video, did she?)

MOO ....wm

BBM

WaltzingMatilda, I had cancer at eleven years old and I rarely went outside the house. One of the reasons was fatigue and the other was because I had to be careful of getting infections. I'm not sure what Zahara's condition (as far as her cancer) was at the time she went missing, but it might not be that unusual for people not to see her unless they visited inside the home.
I wasn't home schooled by my mother but I was home schooled (when I could handle it) by a "home bound" teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668