NE - Det. Kerrie Orozco, 29, fatally shot, Omaha, 20 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If there are any other Omaha peeps on here OPD is asking that those who support officer Orozco wear blue tomorrow. :blue:

I hope every officer out on the streets today is greeted by a sea of blue!!!

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/liv...cbe-fff6-11e4-b4e0-a35d2c0c84b1.html?mode=jqm

Wheeler fired nine rounds from a 9mm Glock handgun.

Police Sgt. Jeffrey Kopietz, 51, fired back at Wheeler, who was shot twice. He was declared dead at Creighton University Medical Center, Schmaderer said.

Orozco was shot in the upper chest, above her protective vest. The bullet passed through the chest of the 29-year-old new mother and exited her back.

She also died at Creighton.

Kopietz, who has been with the department since 1991, was placed on paid administrative leave per department policy until the end of a grand jury hearing and internal investigation. Neither Orozco nor two other officers — Robert Laney and Jeff Shada — fired their weapons.

She never fired her weapon. OPD has always been very forthcoming in immediately naming the officers involved in shootings. There has never been any rioting or looting resulting from these incidents.

I meant by "BS warrant" that NOTHING in that warrant was equal to a person's life.

In other words, what kind of monster thinks killing an officer to avoid a sentence is a good idea? The warrant was total BS compared to this woman's life. They two aren't even close.

I might kill another person to save my child's life if that person were trying to kill her. I get that. But killing a cop to avoid going to jail? Total BS.

I will say this: people on this forum will jump on posts and twist what you say and repost it over and over and try to villify you. Why are there so many dadgum bullies on here?

I said nothing but supportive and respectful things regarding the awful murder of this officer and yet my words are being twisted as somehow anti-LE.

Is it really that hard to not jump people's ***** and go on some tirade? Really?

Not directed at you, but at all posters who are being reactive without reading or understanding.

Sorry, I took it the wrong way. This is local for me and I have family in law enforcement. Plus, the scenario of the overzealous cop enforcing his own justice doesn't really happen here in Omaha. Someone else from Omaha may jump in to argue or correct me, but I will go out on a limb and say that police are trustworthy and race relations are fairly good compared to similar-sized cities.

If there are any other Omaha peeps on here OPD is asking that those who support officer Orozco wear blue tomorrow. :blue:

I'm in Lincoln and work in a large office building, I've seen A LOT of blue today! Makes my heart happy to see![emoji153][emoji170]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the positive side, there are no signs of civil unrest in Omaha resulting from the shootings.

No but have you been looking at some comments by citizens on local media websites. I sent a message to the webmaster at the Omaha World Herald suggesting they disable all comments until after the funeral. I just felt a lot of them were inappropriate. People ranting about sending troops into North Omaha to 'clean things up' and so on. I have lived in Omaha most of my life. I am more fearful now of what may happen in this city than I ever have been in my life. This could be a healing moment for all of us in this city. I appreciate the anger but really, some folks need to think about what they typed before pushing the button. JMO.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/fug...cle_efc37eb3-a1cd-51d9-a1e4-5bacdacd1fe4.html

The criminal who shot her was a known gang member.

Wheeler had also been charged in connection with two earlier shootings, but the charges were dropped, according to records.

In 2013, Wheeler was charged as an accessory in a June 2007 slaying. Wheeler was also accused of shooting at an inhabited home in March 2013, attempting to cause serious bodily injury to Ashley Bordeaux. The Douglas County attorney dismissed charges in both cases.

In 2008, Wheeler was sentenced to five years in federal prison for possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. Wheeler got out on supervised release, but that was revoked in 2013. He returned to prison and was released in February 2014.

This criminal should have been behind bars, not out running around on the street, free to kill a police officer.

His baby mama was arrested, too. She sounds like a lovely human being.

Coppage-Williams, 24, has been charged as an accessory to first-degree assault and obstructing an officer. She appeared in court for the first time Friday.

Authorities said in court that she made serious and vulgar statements to police Wednesday and refused to cooperate with authorities.

The prosecutor said Coppage-Williams made disparaging remarks about Orozco and said she wanted the officer to die a painful death.

The state said Coppage-Williams knew that Wheeler was wanted on a felony warrant, yet she allowed him to stay with her. The judge set her bail at $60,000. She will need to pay $6,000 to be released.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/man...cle_b38d0de6-a320-5952-9594-2fc4904535ca.html

I can't believe her bail was set at only $60,000. $6k and she's back out on the street. I would think $1 million bail would be more appropriate.

His baby mama was arrested, too. She sounds like a lovely human being.

Coppage-Williams, 24, has been charged as an accessory to first-degree assault and obstructing an officer. She appeared in court for the first time Friday.

Authorities said in court that she made serious and vulgar statements to police Wednesday and refused to cooperate with authorities.

The prosecutor said Coppage-Williams made disparaging remarks about Orozco and said she wanted the officer to die a painful death.

The state said Coppage-Williams knew that Wheeler was wanted on a felony warrant, yet she allowed him to stay with her. The judge set her bail at $60,000. She will need to pay $6,000 to be released.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/man...cle_b38d0de6-a320-5952-9594-2fc4904535ca.html

I can't believe her bail was set at only $60,000. $6k and she's back out on the street. I would think $1 million bail would be more appropriate.

Wth? What could this woman possibly have been getting in return for her allegiance to such a loser?? She better lawyer up fast because with lover-boy dead she is the only person that can be prosecuted for any aspect of this travesty. Those of us who were able to watch live coverage were able to see her pandering to the news cameras as she was arrested in her pajama pants. (I know, I know....I'm sorry but I am pushing 50 and if MY hubby were playing "cops and robbers" in the driveway with the police I would put on REAL pants before setting foot outside). I wonder what has happened to her babies since she decided to put herself on the line for this low-life.

No but have you been looking at some comments by citizens on local media websites. I sent a message to the webmaster at the Omaha World Herald suggesting they disable all comments until after the funeral. I just felt a lot of them were inappropriate. People ranting about sending troops into North Omaha to 'clean things up' and so on. I have lived in Omaha most of my life. I am more fearful now of what may happen in this city than I ever have been in my life. This could be a healing moment for all of us in this city. I appreciate the anger but really, some folks need to think about what they typed before pushing the button. JMO.

I haven't and I am sorry to hear this. There are lots of law-abiding folks in North O who DO respect authority and want to save their kids from the gangs. Unfortunately some of our sheltered suburban neighbors do not realize this, but hopefully they are the minority.

How do YOU think Omaha has been able to avoid significant racial tension and the complete deterioration of urban neighborhoods, Snick?? (I remember you from the MSHS shooting thread, which proved that we suburban-dwellers are not immune from gun violence and the heartbreaking tragedies that result. :seeya:). Omaha is not perfect, but we do have something special here. Perhaps other communities could learn something from us? I give a lot of credit to community leaders like Ben Gray and Ernie Chambers who have been able instill community pride even in impoverished areas. I don't share their political views 100% (especially Ernie, lol) but they certainly do represent their communities well. They are so articulate that I think the residents feel someone is truly speaking for them, and on a regular basis, not just when something goes wrong.

ETA: And then of course there are a few exceptionally gifted LEO's like Kerrie Orozco, who are able to build trust with the community. :tears:

I haven't and I am sorry to hear this. There are lots of law-abiding folks in North O who DO respect authority and want to save their kids from the gangs. Unfortunately some of our sheltered suburban neighbors do not realize this, but hopefully they are the minority.

How do YOU think Omaha has been able to avoid significant racial tension and the complete deterioration of urban neighborhoods, Snick?? (I remember you from the MSHS shooting thread, which proved that we suburban-dwellers are not immune from gun violence and the heartbreaking tragedies that result. :seeya:). Omaha is not perfect, but we do have something special here. Perhaps other communities could learn something from us? I give a lot of credit to community leaders like Ben Gray and Ernie Chambers who have been able instill community pride even in impoverished areas. I don't share their political views 100% (especially Ernie, lol) but they certainly do represent their communities well. They are so articulate that I think the residents feel someone is truly speaking for them, and on a regular basis, not just when something goes wrong.

ETA: And then of course there are a few exceptionally gifted LEO's like Kerrie Orozco, who are able to build trust with the community. :tears:

I've given your question some thought- it is not easy to answer. Omaha is indeed a bit different from places lke Ferguson or Cleveland. I think the big factor in keeping major problems down has been the economic factor. Omaha and NE in general have a very low unemployment rate. The percentages are higher in Black areas but overall I think that has to be considered. There is also no tradition of police brutality here. Some would disagree with that but I maybe should say 'in comparison to other places.' Our police chief is excellent - prior to him we had a series of nincompoops (IMO) who were just looking to jump ship and collect a pension.

I just got off the Yahoo story about this event and reading the comments, it is like slogging through a sewer. Some, apparently Omaha people, advocating violence toward the Black community. This was NOT a racist killing but some people seem incapable of viewing it otherwise. I have stopped commenting on the World Herald site it is all a bunch of drivel about Ernie Chambers, Al Sharpton, etc. My last post was to suggest the memory of this woman was not being honored by some of these posts. Some guy posted back that the family of the cop would be 'just fine' with what they were saying and did not need to see 'your liberal drivel.' The OWH uses Facebook for posting, I wonder if these folks know all you have to do is click on their name and pull up their FB page? Most of these look like nice suburban people, soccer moms, etc. Yet here they are with their racism out there. It's pathetic.

Sad that this could be a come together moment for our community- that is a concept that seems difficult for a lot of folks. I am looking forward to her funeral being over and perhaps things can quiet down a bit. Very sad.

I've given your question some thought- it is not easy to answer. Omaha is indeed a bit different from places lke Ferguson or Cleveland. I think the big factor in keeping major problems down has been the economic factor. Omaha and NE in general have a very low unemployment rate. The percentages are higher in Black areas but overall I think that has to be considered. There is also no tradition of police brutality here. Some would disagree with that but I maybe should say 'in comparison to other places.' Our police chief is excellent - prior to him we had a series of nincompoops (IMO) who were just looking to jump ship and collect a pension.

I just got off the Yahoo story about this event and reading the comments, it is like slogging through a sewer. Some, apparently Omaha people, advocating violence toward the Black community. This was NOT a racist killing but some people seem incapable of viewing it otherwise. I have stopped commenting on the World Herald site it is all a bunch of drivel about Ernie Chambers, Al Sharpton, etc. My last post was to suggest the memory of this woman was not being honored by some of these posts. Some guy posted back that the family of the cop would be 'just fine' with what they were saying and did not need to see 'your liberal drivel.' The OWH uses Facebook for posting, I wonder if these folks know all you have to do is click on their name and pull up their FB page? Most of these look like nice suburban people, soccer moms, etc. Yet here they are with their racism out there. It's pathetic.

Sad that this could be a come together moment for our community- that is a concept that seems difficult for a lot of folks. I am looking forward to her funeral being over and perhaps things can quiet down a bit. Very sad.

So true. In addition to the favorable employment rate I think Nebraskans in general have an excellent work ethic. I have to stay off the comment pages as I already have high blood pressure and they seem to be dominated by those with extreme views that in no way represent our community. In my opinion these people don't get out enough. My elderly parents are terrified of gang violence but will still brave the streets of North O to come watch their grandson play a basketball game. Once they get there they settle down and realize that everyone is just there to watch their kids. Sometimes mom even flirts with the refs. Then they drive back out to Elkhorn and complain over the back fence to their neighbors about the gangs again, lol.

I had a humorous experience going up to North High for a game 4 years ago, right after the Millard South shooting. We walked in with our MSHS Patriots shirts on. It was a Saturday morning and I couldn't tell if the metal detectors were turned on and in use. It looked like people were just walking around them, but I didn't want to make a faux pas. I caught the eye of the guy behind the ticket table and asked "do I need to walk through here?" He looked at my shirt and said "You from Millard?? YES!!!" :drumroll:

I need to just stay off the discussion boards- Yahoo especially. That one is particularly vile. Mike Kelly had a wonderful piece in the paper this morning about how this sad event is bringing all Omahans together. Probably there is truth in that although sometimes it's hard to see. We just need to remember that people posting nasty stuff are a relatively small % of the public. Most decent folks do not hang out on those talk boards. It still gets me though- people posting rants about other races under their own names via Facebook- clearly they don't care if the world sees this side of them. Hard to reconcile all the nice Facebook pages with families, friends, events etc and realize they are racists at heart.

CF367YmWgAAyqak.jpg

:rose:

From November:

http://nebraskaradionetwork.com/201...sed-to-kill-omaha-officer-is-given-probation/

The Georgia woman who bought the gun that was used to kill Omaha Police Officer Kerrie Orozco last May was sentenced to one year probation. A judge also sentenced Jalita Johnson to 180 days of home confinement and community service.

The Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms conducted an emergency trace of the firearm recovered at the shooting and traced it back to Johnson. She pleaded guilty to lying when she purchased the gun saying it was for herself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back