DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theindependent.com/stories/103005/new_missing30.shtml

Web-Posted Oct 30, 2005

Looking for the lost, missing
Not all cases are handled the same by officials

By Gretchen Fowler

From the 2001 abduction of a Kearney teenager to a massive search for two Ord natives lost in a snowstorm, missing persons cases in Nebraska over the past five years have made local, state and national news.
Not all cases are handled the same, and not all cases have a happy ending. Fortunately, even in the grimmest looking of circumstances, some of them do.

"Our attempts to locate, the majority of the time, come in the form of overdue parties," said Capt. Chris Kolb, who commands the Nebraska State Patrol's Troop C, which is based in Grand Island.

Such was the case when Kearney farmer Gerald "Jerry" Gillming, 52, was reported missing on Oct. 21 from his farmland near Gibbon. He didn't show up when expected and was reported missing by his family.

Gillming was found alive five days later in Kansas and returned home in good health. He claimed to have been abducted but admitted later that the story was made up.

Air and ground searches conducted for Gillming were similar to searches conducted for a missing Indiana woman whose abandoned car was found in Hamilton County this year. In both cases, law enforcement had a specific area to search, and in both cases, the search was called off when the area had been thoroughly covered.

"A lot of it is based on the information you have on hand and the resources available to use," Kolb said of the decision to initiate a full-scale search.

The situation's circumstances control what assets are put forward and how far the initial search goes, he said. When you exhaust immediate leads, he said, you sit back and wait for the next break that will lead you somewhere else. There is no set time for how long a physical search should continue.

"A lot depends on the circumstances and the information the reporting parties give you," Kolb said. "There are no set circumstances that somebody has to be gone X-number of hours."

The search in January for Ord natives Janelle Hornickel and Michael Wamsley began in Sarpy County when dispatchers received several 911 calls from the couple saying they were lost in a snowstorm. In that case, the search was centered around areas in which the couple believed they might be and areas near cell phone towers that picked up their calls for help.

That case, as well as the case of the missing Indiana woman, Gillming's case and the case of a Central City native who was reported missing in February, all involved volunteers from the general public.

Kolb said the Gillming incident is "indicative of the Nebraska spirit of cooperation and helping out fellow citizens."

He said it's nice to know that, when the need arises, people will leave their regular jobs and go out and help.

Many volunteers who helped search for missing persons in Nebraska this year did so on their own time. That assistance, Kolb said, is invaluable and very much appreciated.

"The number of people that you have betters your ability to cover a tract of land thoroughly so you can make sure you didn't miss anything," Kolb said.

When it comes to how long you should wait before reporting someone missing, Kolb said you need to look at the circumstances. Is it like that person to go somewhere without letting others know, is it like him or her to be late, and would that person call under normal circumstances?

When asked what a person can do to ensure his or her safety, Kolb said, "Be aware of your surroundings. One shouldn't live in fear, and I don't think someone has to live in fear in this part of the country."

If you're going somewhere you're nervous about, Kolb suggests taking a friend along or letting someone know where you'll be and when to expect you back. Take a cell phone with you when you're alone. If you perceive someone who is odd or paying extra attention to you, put yourself in the position to be around a number of people so there would be help readily available if something would happen.

A new clearinghouse designed to track missing adults in Nebraska was launched this month on the Nebraska State Patrol's Web site. Nebraska lawmakers created the Missing Person's Clearinghouse during the 2005 legislative session, with the passage of LB111.

The Nebraska State Patrol will serve as a central repository for information on missing persons. Information gathered is disseminated to assist law enforcement agencies, public and private organizations and the citizens of Nebraska in locating missing persons.

"The patrol has long maintained a database of missing children. The addition of missing adults will allow us to provide information for all Nebraska families searching for a missing loved one," said Col. Bryan Tuma, State Patrol superintendent.

The public can access information on missing persons in Nebraska by logging on to www.nsp.state.ne.us, clicking on "Programs/Services" in the left-hand menu column, then clicking on "NE Missing Persons."

The Nebraska Missing Persons Clearinghouse can be reached by calling (402) 479-4986 or (877) 441-LOST (5678).

Area missing persons cases in the news

Kearney teen Anne Sluti was 17 years old when she was abducted from a mall parking lot in Kearney on April 6, 2001. Witnesses reported the abduction to police. Sluti was held captive for six days by Anthony Zappa, also known as Anthony Steven Wright, a fugitive wanted for various crimes in five other states. Zappa surrendered after a 10-hour standoff with police at a remote cabin in Montana. He was sentenced in September 2002 to life in prison without parole. Sluti was returned safely to her family, and the story was featured on Court TV in 2004.

Jason Anthony Jolkowski of Omaha was 19 years old when he was reported missing. His whereabouts and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance are still unknown. Jolkowski's grandparents live in Grand Island, and his story was featured on the Montel Williams show in November 2004.

Ord natives Michael Wamsley and Janelle Hornickel, both 20 and of Omaha, got lost in a blizzard in rural Sarpy County in January 2005 and died from exposure to the elements before they could be found. The couple made several calls to 911 for help on Jan. 5. Massive air and ground searches were conducted in the area near Gretna. Wamsley's body was found on Jan. 6, and Hornickel's was found on Jan. 12, at a sandpit southwest of Omaha. The story was featured on ABC's "Primetime Live" in March.

Central City High School graduate Kendra Benham left friends on Feb. 4, 2005, to attend a party near the Southeast Community College-Beatrice campus, where she was a first-year student. She was reported missing on Feb. 7 when she failed to show up for classes. Air and ground searches were conducted in Gage and Jefferson counties, and her body was found on Feb. 10, along with her pickup, in a ravine in Gage County. Her death was ruled an accident.

Bradley Petersen, 28, of Grand Island was reported missing on March 13, 2005, by his wife, who hadn't seen him since he left for work the day before. Authorities tried calling his cell phone, which hit off a tower in rural Howard County. Air and ground searches were conducted, and Petersen was found in his pickup in a Howard County field. He tried to elude law enforcement by driving through fields and pastures but eventually surrendered. A small amount of methamphetamine and marijuana was found in his truck, Nebraska State Patrol Capt. Chris Kolb said.

Jennifer Zachman, 22, of Indiana was reported missing on July 8, 2005. The search for her began on July 14, when a vehicle with Indiana plates was found abandoned and out of gas in Hamilton County. A check of the license plate indicated that Zachman was driving the car. Air and ground searches were conducted in the area, but Zachman was not located. She was found alive by a motorist on Aug. 11. She had apparently been living under an Interstate 80 bridge near Grand Island for weeks.

Gerald "Jerry" Gillming, 52, of Kearney was reported missing by his family on Oct. 21 after disappearing from a rural farm pasture northwest of Gibbon. Air and ground searches were conducted on Oct. 22 and 23, and Gillming was discovered alive in Kansas on Wednesday. Gillming initially said he was abducted by three men and put on a train but later recanted the story. He returned home late Wednesday night in good physical condition. The incident remains under investigation.
Still missing

Name: Jason Anthony Jolkowski

Classification: endangered missing adult

Alias/nickname: J.J.

Date of birth: June 24, 1981

Date missing: June 13, 2001

From city/state: Omaha (His grandparents live in Grand Island.)

Age at time of disappearance: 19

Race: white

Height: 6 feet 1 inch

Weight: 165 pounds

Hair color: brown

Eye color: brown

Complexion: light

Clothing: White Chicago Cubs or Sammy Sosa T-shirt, black dress pants, blue Cubs cap, dress shoes and also carrying red work shirt

Circumstances of disappearance: unknown. Jason was last seen bringing in garbage cans at his residence after pickup. He was leaving to meet a co-worker at the high school only eight blocks away to get a ride to work but never arrived. He has not accessed his bank account and has not cashed checks from his employer.

Investigative agency: Omaha Police Department

Phone: Call (402) 444-5657 if you have any information that may be helpful in this case.

Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary Dear Kelly and Jim

May you continue to see each other with stars in your eyes, and Love in your hearts....

Somewhere out there, in either this life or the next, Jason is thinking of you and wishing his parents the same.

GOD Bless you and your years together, both Past and Present.

With much love and Hope...
Gabby

Thanks for the anniversary wishes, Gabby.

This is the email I recieved from the people that inquiringminds suggested. It's back one page, I believe.

"Dear Kelly,

Thank you very much for submitting your case to Solvemycase.com. We have received many case submissions and we are carefully reviewing every single one. We will not be able to take on every case, although we wish that we could.

We will contact you within the next 3 weeks' time if we have any additional questions or require further information about your case. If you do not hear from us by December 1, 2005, we will not be able to take on your case at this time, but please know that our thoughts and our hopes for resolution will be with you.

Best Regards,
The Producers
"Private Investigators" "

Thank you so much for providing those links with the AGE PROGRESSION photo. He is such a handsome young man. I had a brain cramp and couldn't think of the words---age progression. Sorry 'bout that. I hope more people take a look at the photo. Someone, somewhere knows something. Keep up the good work with the media.
Many Hopes and Prayers,
ShowerSinger

Yes, thank you for the opportunity to post an updated poster for Jason. I have a pretty well read bulletin board on the outside of my shop. I will put Jason's poster there with Krista's. This is in Texas but you just never know who might come by. We have many visitors from all over the world come to our little corner of the world.

Please keep me updated on any new info or posters on Jason.

Thanks a million and much love to you and your family.
:blowkiss:

I saw Jasons name as a new post on here and my heart stopped! I thought maybe good news was here at last!
I still feel the same about Jasons absence as I once said , and I think of him and yourself often.
I have no news sadly of Daniel Morcombe it seems to have hit a brickwall, I see his parents in the media and they will never give up looking for him the same as your family with Jason.
It is nearly Christmas and I know this is a hard time for all families of the missing , but I am sure wherever Jason is he will be thinking of his family .
Best Wishes for your anniversary Kelly, and I hope good news comes to you in the near future.
Your Australian Friend (Who is now Director Of Coaching at Soccer!)

Kelly said:

This is the email I recieved from the people that inquiringminds suggested. It's back one page, I believe.

"Dear Kelly,

Thank you very much for submitting your case to Solvemycase.com. We have received many case submissions and we are carefully reviewing every single one. We will not be able to take on every case, although we wish that we could.

We will contact you within the next 3 weeks' time if we have any additional questions or require further information about your case. If you do not hear from us by December 1, 2005, we will not be able to take on your case at this time, but please know that our thoughts and our hopes for resolution will be with you.

Best Regards,
The Producers

If they don't ... just keep on bugging them until they do......

Best wishes and much love,
Gabby

ShowerSinger said:
Someone, somewhere knows something.

Yes, we certainly agree, and we keep looking forever. Someday we hope to find that person or persons. Every effort brings us a step closer to that point. None are in vain.

We thank everyone for their efforts, whether these be of prayer or action. There is a need for all.

Many blessings and thanks to all,
Kelly

I have invited a father of Australian woman Lateeesha Nolan to join us I have put the link to his daughters sad story on another thread missing I think.

I have also given him contact details for Kelly, as its so behind here in Australia when it comes to help and forums we only have victims of crime assoc.
The parents of missing people need daily support not monthly meetings we really need to get someone to start a forum like this one for Australian cases.
I found 1 website and in the guestbook people were very negative to the webmaster saying she is causing distress by putting peoples missing loved ones on the website (I am like ???????????????) .
I think Australia really needs to move with the times and her father agreed and emailed me so hopefully he will get some needed support in here! Cheers again from sunny Oz

Kelly said:

"Dear Kelly,

Best Regards,
The Producers
Oh Kelly, I was so excited when I read this! I'll keep praying they air Jason's story. BTW, I've hung up the age progression photos of Jason in IA. I'm praying about that too :blowkiss:

Keep the faith!
Jennifer

Thinking of Jason this morning as I brought our trash cans back up towards our house.

Prayers for Jason, Kelly and family.

A Project Jason Press Release:

Students Arrange Over 1,500 Adoptions of Missing Persons

Omaha, NE, November 16, 2005--Sometimes, it seems as if there are few feel-good stories in the news about missing persons. Many of the stories covered would give the indication that there are only victims in the wake of this tragedy. These stories are viewed and often then discarded in the minds of the public. The viewers are detached from the situation, safe in their homes with their families beside them. Their involvement may end with those few seconds on the screen.

Rarely are we treated to a story that portrays hope for these left-behind families. How often do we witness someone becoming involved who has no personal tie to any missing persons or their families? This story, and the people who made it happen, accomplish both objectives: becoming involved and giving hope to the families of the missing.

In 2004, 20 year-old Danae Leali, a creative writing major at Ashland University in Ohio, heard about a unique awareness program for missing people called Adopt a Missing Person. The program is one in which photo buttons of missing persons from across the country are given to persons who wish to "adopt" that missing person, wear their button, and share their story. She, and a friend, Vanessa Wagner, were moved to take action. The two launched a campaign to get other students at the college involved. They succeeded in arranging for 432 adoptions of missing persons with students and staff at Ashland. The campaign culminated with an all day prayer vigil and remembrance for these missing persons.

Danae was not finished with the project, however. She wanted to see it expand to other schools and grow. She and Vanessa made plans to do a second campaign in 2005. They also worked behind the scenes to get other schools to participate, and in fact, just returned from a nationwide conference for residence hall associations. Vanessa stated: "These missing persons are real people, with hopes and dreams, family and friends, futures and pasts. Deep down I feel that most people want to change the world for the better and if they can start off with a simple project like this, it is one step in the right direction."

Danae's goal was to double last year's campaign number. The 2005 campaign ended with 4 participating schools and an astounding 1,511 adoptions of missing persons secured. Danae and Vanessa's campaign at Ashland University netted 1,380 adoptions. 25 adoptions were made at the University of Akron, and 106 at Loudonville High School. The Westlake High School Key Club is also participating, but with a later campaign date.

Danae had more than tripled last year's numbers, and has no intention of this being the last campaign: "That's what I want. It's beginning. Nobody really knows how far this could go...It's an important topic. It's something that's getting the media's attention, and it needs to be bigger."

On Wednesday, November 16th, Danae and Vanessa will proudly don their buttons, along with the other 1,511 persons who opened their hearts to help families they've never met, many of whom are thousands of miles away. They will hold an all day vigil at the Ashland University campus chapel, starting at 9am and culminating with a brief ceremony at 8:30pm. Giant greeting cards will be posted, one for each family of the missing, so that attendees can express their thoughts of hope. These will be sent to the families after the vigil. The press and public are invited and encouraged to attend.

The Adopt a Missing Person program was created by nonprofit organization, Project Jason, which assists families of missing persons and provides education for the public. Families of the missing provide photo buttons of their missing loved one and a personal biography, so that people all over the country can help by "adopting" their missing loved one. Adopters pledge to wear the button and share the story with others to increase the odds of location, and give hope to the families.

Kelly Jolkowski, mother of missing Jason Jolkowski, and founder of Project Jason, explains the impact of the program: "After the police have sifted through the clues in a missing person's case, and have no more leads, what the family has left is hope and awareness. The Adopt a Missing Person program enables people to be able to give these priceless gifts to the families. It helps them get through another day without their loved ones, knowing that a stranger cares. You just never know. The next person to see their face, may hold the key to unlock the mystery of their disappearance and be the catalyst that reunites a family."

To find out additional information about the Adopt a Missing Person program, please see www.projectjason.org, and click on the Adopt a Missing Person link. All of the featured missing persons on the campaign can be found on this site, along with links to additional information about these cases.

Contacts:

Danae Leali
Ashland University

Vanessa Wagner
Ashland University

Kelly Jolkowski
President and Founder
Project Jason
402-932-0095
Kelly.jolkowski@projectjason.org

Mike Block
University of Akron
Akron, OH

Rose Kerr, Teacher
Loudonville High School
Loudonville, OH

Westlake High School Key Club
Westlake, OH
Su Gao, Campaign Head

####

http://www.wmfd.com/newsboard/single.asp?Story=21624

Ashland University's 2nd annual adopt a missing person project

Ashland University's 2nd annual adopt a missing person project was held on November 16th. About thirteen hundred students, faculty and staff members participated in the event by wearing pins with a picture of one of the twenty-four missing persons the University has adopted. A candlelight vigil was also held in the lower level of Ashland University's Memorial Chapel. Students had the opportunity to sign giant cards with messages of hope to the families of missing persons. For information on how you can get involved in the adopt a missing person project visit www.projectjason.org.

Thinking of Jason and your family this Thanksgiving. Praying you find the answers you seek.

Bumping for Jason, those who love him and those who pray for his return...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viki Cowan