NE NE - Vanderlei, Jaqueline, Chris (fnd dec'd) Szczepanik, 7, Omaha, 14 Dec 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My better half is an attorney. All immigration law is federally controlled, be it federal agencies or judges. A lawyer who is a member in good standing of ANY state bar can represent a client in ANY federal hearing.
An attorney can be a member of many different state bars, and represent clients before federal and state agencies and judges. An attorney can be a consultant on a case, and usually this would be because that attorney has some specialized knowledge of the particular law being argued. In this case it could pertain to obtaining entry visas,or obtaining permanent resident status for church members from Brazil * I am only using that as an example * This is a really interesting case.....

real interesting. Like the Immigration ministry or whatever that corporation was called.

My better half is an attorney. All immigration law is federally controlled, be it federal agencies or judges. A lawyer who is a member in good standing of ANY state bar can represent a client in ANY federal hearing. An attorney can be a member of many different state bars, and represent clients before federal and state agencies and judges. An attorney can be a consultant on a case, and usually this would be because that attorney has some specialized knowledge of the particular law being argued. In this case it could pertain to obtaining entry visas,or obtaining permanent resident status for church members from Brazil * I am only using that as an example * This is a really interesting case.....

Thanks for that liz b !! I'm interpreting that to mean they can represent in a federal case, but only one that takes place in a federal court within the state in which they are a member of the bar. Correct me if that's wrong.

If that is the case, then does that mean there is no such thing as someone applying to be a "federal attorney"?

Sorry for the questions, but ... i'm in canada ;)

SillyBilly,
You are correct, there is no such thing as a federal attorney. For a lawyer to represent a client in a civil, or criminal matter, the lawyer MUST be a member of the state bar where the case is being tried. Example : If you are going into court to obtain a divorce, and you live in Michigan, then your lawyer MUST be licensed to practice law in Michigan. Your lawyer would have to be a member of the state bar of Michigan.
But, if you are an immigrant,trying to get a green card, then your lawyer will be dealing with federal agencies and judges,and need only be licensed to practice law in a state. They could be licensed to practice law in NY and yet go before a federal judge in California. Make sense yet ?

SillyBilly,
You are correct, there is no such thing as a federal attorney. For a lawyer to represent a client in a civil, or criminal matter, the lawyer MUST be a member of the state bar where the case is being tried. Example : If you are going into court to obtain a divorce, and you live in Michigan, then your lawyer MUST be licensed to practice law in Michigan. Your lawyer would have to be a member of the state bar of Michigan.
But, if you are an immigrant,trying to get a green card, then your lawyer will be dealing with federal agencies and judges,and need only be licensed to practice law in a state. They could be licensed to practice law in NY and yet go before a federal judge in California. Make sense yet ?

It is ironic to me that in the federal areas of practice of bankruptcy and immigration, there is so much fraudulent activity. Just a commentary on the subject matter, not any lawyers or law firms.

Bankruptcy law is both federal and state ; the statutes are federal, but each state can amend the federal laws and add their own. Immigration law is only ever federal,and states may not amend it at all. Don't know any immigration or bankruptcy lawyers,so can't speak to any kind of fraud in those areas. The lawyer in this case was probably doing consults on immigration law. I'm following the tax exempt status thing here, and also enrty visas and green cards....

http://www.action3news.com/Global/story.asp?S=11948290

Omaha, NE - The peculiar disappearance of an Omaha missionary family originally from Brazil gets the attention of a local organization. Now it's taking action, trying to help out.

So far, A Hand To Hold organization has gone door to door handing out more than 300 of the flyers hoping someone knows something. One man tutors little Christopher everyday after school. "Christopher's a little shy," said friend of the family, Joao de Brito.

A Hand To Hold also handed out hundreds of flyers to customers at the HyVee near 36th and L street. Police found the family's abandoned car last week, but no clues since. If you know anything, call police at 444-STOP (7867).

Posted by: Reporter, Erika Summers, esummers@action3news.com

Missing family's van found

Published Friday February 12, 2010

By Tom Shaw
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Omaha police say they have found the Beige 1995 Dodge Caravan that belonged to a missing Omaha family.

The unoccupied vehicle was found Thursday, but police would not say where.

a little more here

http://omaha.com/article/20100212/NEWS97/100219807

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35373453/ns/local_news-omaha_ne/
''snippets''

Police said the van was found in Omaha outside the family's neighborhood.

Costa said it was unusual for either Vanderlei or Jaqueline to disappear without an explanation. Police Sgt. Teresa Negron said she doesn’t think the family has been harmed.
The case has garnered attention in South America. A team from the largest TV network in Brazil is in Omaha covering the story.
Global Television crews have uncovered information suggesting police are questioning a few specific people who have information on how the family disappeared and where they may be.

..more at link...

http://www.ketv.com/news/22549103/detail.html
'snipped'
The family's oldest daughter in Brazil will arrive in Omaha next week to help with the search.

"She said 'I want to know what happened. Everything is very strange. It’s a mystery,'" said Joao De Brito, a family friend. \

..more at link..

Hmm. Police do not suspect foul play.
Police do not release where the van was found.
Brazil's largest tv station is following the story.

I don't know what to think.

Did the family want to get away from the renovations?
But why walk out and leave everything?

Did they ask for asylum?
But they were close to getting their citizenship?

Odd.

But they were close to getting their citizenship? ...

Just a thought, but am wondering if they became aware of factors that could result in them being denied citizenship and they decided to to underground.

All generalizations are dangerous ... even this one

Hi MariBusta, and Welcome. Hope you will stay and share your insights.

I absolutely agree that we should not generalize with respect to this family's ethnic background, and haven't heard or seen anything that would lead me to believe these folks are anything but nice, hard-working, sincere individuals. While I join you in disagreeing with webrocket's generalization about ethnicity, they are as entitled to their opinion as we are to ours.

With respect to your comment about stopping <redacted>, this forum is based on fact-finding and theorizing, based on any and all information that is available to us. Given the absence of information released by LE, it is not unreasonable for us to consider that this family's immigration status COULD be a factor in their unsolved disappearance, with equal consideration given to their disappearance being the result of foul play by known or unknown persons.

We have a case in Canada where a recent immigrant is missing under suspicious circumstances, and we are definitely considering the possibility that immigration scams could play a part. While I believe the Szczepaniks themselves are honest individuals, I am not discounting that they may have been dealing with dishonest people or services who did not have the family's best interests at heart

When I first read this story of the three family members missing and all their things left, looking like they just up and walked away, I thought, they have been abducted.

Then as the days passed, and more information came out and they had been working hard renovating the school, working other jobs, involved in the community,
I thought, maybe one of the workers on the job was angry:
Maybe there was some confrontation and someone just took them and they are no longer with us.

Then, within a few days apart from one another, both of their vehicles are found.
No mention of any possible forensic evidence that would mean they had been killed.

And now, a Brazilian tv team is following detectives, the daughter is set to arrive from Brazil, LE seems to think someone might be 'hiding' them.

Now, I am confused.
Why would anyone hide them?
I don't think they were held for ransom, no one even knew they were missing for weeks.

Maybe it would be good if a tv team from NE interviewed the Brazilian tv team?
I understand why it would be such a big story from the Brazilians point of view, an entire church family disappears.
It is a big story here on WS, at least for me it is.

I am rambling along here trying to say,
why would someone abduct this family?
who
what
where
and how?

video

Okay, I watched the video after reading the story again.

And I heard something in the video, not in the written article.
Daughter is coming from Brazil and may have news about where they might be.

!!

I guess that shows me I should read and listen.

http://www.kmtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11980356
'snip'
Police call the family's absence suspicious. However, members of the family's church group say police told them they believe the Szczepaniks are still alive. The case is getting national attention. A television network from Brazil is in town to cover the story.

video

Okay, I watched the video after reading the story again.

And I heard something in the video, not in the written article.
Daughter is coming from Brazil and may have news about where they might be.

!!

I guess that shows me I should read and listen.

Very interesting. People in Brazil have more information on their whereabouts than people in Omaha.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

If it walks like a duck...........

http://tinyurl.com/yfngpvm

There is a ton of news being reported in Brazil on this story. I think this one ran before the second car was discovered.

The story was in Portuguese but I used the google translation function and while the sentence structure is not perfect, it does give some more insight.

Something interesting is that this construction project Vanderlei was working on had been going on for 4 years and "now are stuck". The end of the news items indicated that Vanderlei was not expecting work to continue during the holidays.

Interesting about the construction project. I remember reading that Chris Szczepanik had not cashed the last 2 or 3 checks that the church had sent him The church was having bad financial problems it seems. If that's true, I wonder if he ever payed the crew who was working on the project for the last 2 or 3 weeks they worked for him ?

So, in reading the google translation,
then, the construction project was stuck,
the family was not planning to be working during
the holidays,
but why would they just up and leave
all their belongings
and now it is two months later?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors