Found Deceased Netherlands - Anja Schaap, 33, Katwijk, 29 May 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Missing Anja not found yet ; New possible search on Monday
Katwijk- On Sunday no further searches are made for the missing Anja from Katwijk. According to a police spokesperson, camera images and other information are viewed in order to be able to search more specifically in Katwijk. The search may resume on Monday.

Vermiste Anja nog niet gevonden; maandag mogelijk nieuwe zoekactie

A new search is expected on Monday. "Possibly closer to her house," says a police spokesperson.

So far it has been established that she has been seen on video on her own after she left a café in Katwijk on the night from Tuesday to Wednesday.
"But from that moment until she should have come home, there is still a considerable gap," says a police spokesperson.

Zoeken naar Katwijkse maandag verder

It's still a big question whether she was grabbed by someone who was walking or in a car. I hope they've tracked down everyone who was at the pub at 1:50AM, as it could be someone who saw her there.

Having that answer will help understand whether there's any point in looking for her near the area where her purse was found. Someone on foot will leave her near her purse, someone in a car means she will mostly likely be found only by chance.

Investigation of missing Anja Schaap continues unabated
Latest update:
03-06-2019 | 16:52
Katwijk - Since the disappearance of Anja Schaap (33) from Katwijk on 29 May, the police have been looking for her with all his might. The research team is still fully engaged in the investigation. This is not always visible to everyone. Consider, for example, digital investigations, hearing witnesses and requesting and watching camera images.

What has been done so far in Anja 's loss ?

• May 30 (Ascension Day) the police got the message that Anja has been missing since Wednesday morning May 29. The police team in Katwijk immediately started a search, investigating how Anja walked home from the cafe where she had been. For this, witnesses were heard, camera images were viewed and the police helicopter watched.
  • On Friday, May 31, Anja's bag was found in the water on the Melkweg.
    Divers from the fire brigade searched the water, but did not find Anja. The handbag contained personal belongings, including her cell phone. The same day Anja walked the route that Anja took between the cafe and her home.
  • On Friday evening, the police distributed their photo nationwide.
  • Forty people from the Veteran Searchteam, police, family and volunteers searched the missing woman and any traces on Saturday 1 June in the section between the Melkweg and her home on the Wega in Katwijk.
  • Saturday, June 1 and Sunday, June 2, new camera images were analyzed, witnesses spoke again and digital investigations were conducted.
  • Monday 3 June the fire brigade searched the water at the Hercules and the Noorderlicht, this is in the vicinity of her home.
vermissing-anja-schaap-alleen-kaart.jpg

Is the search for Anja stopped?

The investigation into the loss of Anja continues unabated. The investigation work done by the police is not visible to the outside world, but this does not mean that the investigation has been stopped.

Can you still use camera images?
Camera images are always welcome. You can upload images via this link on police.com .

How exceptional is Anja's loss?
Every month, 300 people are reported missing in the Unity The Hague. Only 5% of this is classified as 'urgent' loss. The disappearance of Anja is classified as an urgent loss.

What is the difference between an 'urgent' loss and a 'normal' loss?
With a normal loss there are no direct indications of threat, danger or risk. And there is often a reason that could explain the 'running away'. There are also circumstances, such as carrying money and goods that indicate that it is a conscious action.

In the event of an urgent loss, there are substantial indications that the missing person is at risk because the missing person is in complete opposition to normal behavior, or there are indications that the missing person is a victim of a crime. You can think of children under the age of 13, people with intellectual or physical disabilities, people who need immediate medical care (such as people with dementia), young people accompanied by criminals or if there are indications of (intended) suicide.

Why is the 'Collaborate' app not being used?
The help of citizens is often very effective and that is why the police want to launch an app to better organize searches. The app is still in the testing phase in which legal and ethical aspects are examined. That is why the app cannot be used yet.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=nl&sl=nl&tl=en&u=https://www.politie.nl/nieuws/2019/juni/3/06-onderzoek-vermissing-anja-schaap-gaat-onverminderd-door.html
It's still a big question whether she was grabbed by someone who was walking or in a car. I hope they've tracked down everyone who was at the pub at 1:50AM, as it could be someone who saw her there.

Having that answer will help understand whether there's any point in looking for her near the area where her purse was found. Someone on foot will leave her near her purse, someone in a car means she will mostly likely be found only by chance.
I did read on msm that LE talked to witnesses in and around the area she walked/disappeared.

-
'The search for the missing woman continues. "Among other things, we are going to view camera images and talk to witnesses," said a police spokesperson' (GT)
Cookies op AD.nl | AD.nl

"Kattukers, as the villagers are popularly called, are not talkative people. Strangers in the village are extensively observed. If Anja had been approached on the night she disappeared and someone saw that, he or she would have noticed. But so far it seems that 33-year-old Anja Schaap has simply been resolved into nothing. The only wipe sign was the discovery of her bag last Friday. On the road between the pub she left and her house.

"Take care of yourself," I always called after her, says neighbor Dirk van der Plas. He has only been living in the social housing complex for half a year, where Anja also has an apartment, but had direct contact with his neighbor. "This is so bizarre," he says. "But now that she has been gone so long, I fear the worst. That she ran into the wrong person. "
The waitress of In den Blauwe Bock in the Badstraat in the village center of the coastal town knows for sure. "Anja was not a regular customer of ours. I've been working here for years, but didn't know her, "she says. She also chooses her answers carefully. "No, there was not something special last Tuesday that she was here. It was a normal Tuesday evening. ”She leaves it at that. But she can't stop thinking about it. Just like with the rest of the inhabitants. What happened to Anja Schaap?
-
The neighbors of Anja, in the northern part of Katwijk, characterize her as friendly, cheerful, always in for a chat. But they didn't get to coffee. "She has no extensive social life," says Roelof From, who lives below her. "Her family visits a lot. That was it, "he says. Anja is also not a pub type, so the picture arises. Still, she went on the road last Tuesday. "She wanted to go out. She felt good about herself lately, "explains From. It is precisely this one excess that seems to have turned fatal. "I can't believe it," says From. "Every time I cycle along the water along her likely route, I look around me. I hope every time I see something. "[.....]

Katwijk in de ban van mysterieuze verdwijning Anja
^^
In this article it is written that it is almost certain that she left the pub on the Badstraat at 1.52 am. CCTV confirms this and according to her neighbors, she did everything on foot. The walk should have taken her about twenty minutes, past the Willem Alexander pumping station to Katwijk-Noord. At three quarters of the route, her bag was found at the Melkweg.

So she didn't have much of a social life but she was at the pub until 2AM. I wonder if she was exploring social media dating.

Here's the map with the latest search area near her home

upload_2019-6-3_17-35-31.png

So she didn't have much of a social life but she was at the pub until 2AM. I wonder if she was exploring social media dating.

Here's the map with the latest search area near her home

View attachment 187576
Had just been wondering about the same thing regarding sm dating.
Could it be that she arranged to meet somebody who purposely did not show up until later ie after Anja left the bar?

Had just been wondering about the same thing regarding sm dating.
Could it be that she arranged to meet somebody who purposely did not show up until later ie after Anja left the bar?

It wouldn't be the first time that a social media date ended in murder. As someone who is not very social, she may have revealed more information than she should. I wonder whether she was with someone at the pub, or, as you suggest, waiting for someone who didn't show up. I hope they can do something with her phone to identify last contacts.

Today LE set up a pop desk on the Melkweg to get in touch with local residents of Anja for receiving tips and answer questions.
Twitter

According to MSM about forty people came by and all new information will be send to the criminal investigation department and it will be checked whether there is any useful information in it. That also applies to tips that are received via social media.
Diverse tips vermiste Anja (33) bij pop-upbureau Katwijk

Anyway I was searching & scrolling on Twitter by using #AnjaSchaap and there are some tweets that stood out,thought it is worth a mention/post:

- Man harasses wife along the N206 Latest update: 23-04-2019 | 14:10 Case number: 2019103618 Crime date: 17-04-2019 Crime scene: Katwijk On Wednesday evening, 17 April, around 8.30 pm, along the N206 cycle path near the Cantineweg in Katwijk, a woman was harassed by an unknown man. (This twitter wonders if this person might be connected with Anja's
disappearance)
Man valt vrouw lastig langs de N206

-Also a close friend of Anja stated that Anja was on tuesday evening with her cousin in a cafe in her village near the boulevard. She had contact with her until about 10 o'clock (PM,I think?)
Wednesday she apped her some again,but she did not respond. App was not delivered either. Her sisters could no longer reach her.
Fleur van Schaik (@fleur_vanschaik) on Twitter
(I checked and Fleur van Schaik is a
journalist ,worked as a freelancer for the Haagse Courant and as an editor for the magazine Mainline. Is currently working on a book about prostitution, loverboy relationships and BDSM relationships. )

Here is her website:
Fleur van Schaik | Journalist & Schrijver

Last edited:
This interests me:

"Wednesday evening, 17 April, around 8.30 pm, along the N206 cycle path near the Cantineweg in Katwijk, a woman was harassed by an unknown man."

Although the time is earlier in the evening and the location is on the outskirts, if the man is determined enough to contact an unknown woman, he may have decided that a woman leaving a pub is an easier target.

This interests me:

"Wednesday evening, 17 April, around 8.30 pm, along the N206 cycle path near the Cantineweg in Katwijk, a woman was harassed by an unknown man."

Although the time is earlier in the evening and the location is on the outskirts, if the man is determined enough to contact an unknown woman, he may have decided that a woman leaving a pub is an easier target.
The rest of the emergency notification/112:
'The young woman was pushed over by the man, causing her to fall. The police are happy to come into contact with specifically three cyclists who may have witnessed this incident."
Thought so too,maybe the man was disturbed by the three cyclits and that chased him away..without these cyclists knowing that they might witness a violant crime.."wielrenners" are very fast.
As far as I have seen, no official source (MSM or police) has mentioned Anja being in the cafe with her cousin that night.
True,but because Fleur is a journalist herself,thought it would be ok to post and mention her twitter account here and mentioned the tweet,seems reliable,imo.
Add:Anja's family had stated that they do not wanted to be in contact with MSM,so maybe Fleur is the spokeperson of the family?
Here in msm,a tweet of Fleur is published:
Katwijkse Anja (33) week vermist, dit weten we tot nu toe

Last edited:
Considering that she walked home from the cafe and that her bag was found closer to her home, I find it less likely that she had been followed all the way from the cafe. I wonder how deserted would that street usually be at 1-2am on a weekday? Are there any bars closing at that time nearby? Would a car passing by likely be someone local? Would someone not local have a reason be there so late, e.g. passing through the area on their way home? Is the neighborhood generally safe? How often do you find people walking alone at night?

On Friday afternoon, the police decided to intensify the search and used search dogs to track her route.
Zoektocht naar vermiste Katwijkse duurt voort - Sleutelstad.nl
Is Anja's family making any appeals at all in the media?
Nope, not that I know..only on SM/FB :
"Residents of Katwijk also went looking for Anja. For example, a search for dunes and parks is being set up in the Rijnsoever district, family member Marjolein Zwanenburg writes on Facebook. "Keep your eyes open outside Katwijk as well, she may have picked up something at home and then went on. You just don't know..."
Tas van vermiste Katwijkse bij Melkweg gevonden, zoektocht met speurhonden en brandweerduikers
Family had appealed to help searching
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/nederland/artikel/4731651/politie-katwijk-vermissing-anja-schaap-zoektocht
And were present during these searches
*"Forty people from the Veteran Searchteam (VST) , police, family and volunteers searched the missing woman and any traces on Saturday 1 June in the section between the Melkweg and her home on the Wega in Katwijk. Saturday, June 1 and Sunday, June 2, new camera images were analyzed, witnesses spoke again and digital investigations were conducted. Monday 3 June the fire brigade searched the water at the Hercules and the Noorderlicht, this is in the vicinity of her home.°
*Translation from the first link in this post.

New info: Anja Schaap seen that night at 03.45 a.m.

The police are looking for Anja Schaap again.
The police are looking for Anja Schaap again.

KATWIJK - A new search on Wednesday for the disappeared Anja Schaap from Katwijk has again proved unsuccessful. However, the police have new information that the 33-year-old woman was still seen on the Kanaaldijk late in the night of May 29, tens of meters from where previously her bag of personal items and her phone was found.
Since the afternoon, a boat from the National Team Underwater Search of the police sailed through the stretch of canal from the *Willem-Alexander pumping (gemaal)
station to the lock at the sea.
The police say they are sure that Anja, who has been missing for a week, was still there on the night of her disappearance, from Tuesday 28 to Wednesday 29 May. At 3.45 am to be exact. The police do not want to say what that shows, witnesses or camera images.
The time she was seen is hours after she left from the center of the coastal town where she visited a cafe. She left the house at 1.52 am. Cameras recorded her alone, walking.[.....]

Nieuwe info: Anja Schaap die nacht om 03.45 uur nog gezien

However, I did read that the Willem-Alexander pumping station (gemaal) has CCTV.

Koning Willem-Alexander gemaal - Wikipedia
Bestand:Gemaalkatwijk.JPG

Last edited:
However, the police have new information that the 33-year-old woman was still seen on the Kanaaldijk late in the night of May 29, tens of meters from where previously her bag of personal items and her phone was found.

The police say they are sure that Anja, who has been missing for a week, was still there on the night of her disappearance, from Tuesday 28 to Wednesday 29 May. At 3.45 am to be exact. The police do not want to say what that shows, witnesses or camera images.
The time she was seen is hours after she left from the center of the coastal town where she visited a cafe. She left the house at 1.52 am. Cameras recorded her alone, walking.[.....]
Bestand:Gemaalkatwijk.JPG
The new last sighting happened almost two hours after she left the cafe. Location wise it is at least 500m away from the place where her bag was found, in the direction of the cafe.

Edited to add that we don't know where on Kanaaldijk she was spotted. I marked the closest location on the direct path home from the cafe. Willem-Alexander pumping station is on the same route.

If everything had been normal, she would have reached home (from the cafe) in 20 minutes.

Attachments

• kanaaldijk-melkweg.jpg
    kanaaldijk-melkweg.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
So what was going on? Was it really her at 3:45am? Where and when was she previously seen? When she left the cafe alone, did she plan on going somewhere else, perhaps to a place that was still open? Is there anything of interest on the street she was seen at 3:45? Did someone eventually give her a lift home?

Edited to add: If she still had her bag/phone with her at 3:45, phone pings could confirm her general location, but also movements that night.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab
Back