Netherlands - Dutch family living in basement 9 yrs, Ruinerwold, Drenthe Province, 15 October 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can you imagine if none of these people were actually related? <modsnip> what a nightmare. This story is crazy. It seems like nobody can really say for sure how many kids this guy has. I don't know if he really confined them there and didn't allow them to go anywhere. But the thing is, by not registering any of them at birth, what kind of chances did they have in the outside world? They can't get a job, they can't drive, they can't open a bank account, they can't rent a house, <modsnip> they can't even book a hotel room. I'm assuming they don't have any sort of state issued identification so, they couldn't really do much on their own. So, in one way or another, they were sort of confined there. Could they go outside? Maybe. This whole thing sounds cultish all the way, but there is a ton of stuff that doesn't really add up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twee verdachten zaak-Ruinerwold blijven komende negentig dagen in de cel

Two suspects in the Ruinerwold case remain in jail for the next ninety days.

The two suspects in the Ruinerwold case will remain in prison for the next ninety days. The court in Assen has decided on this.

They are Gerrit-Jan van D., aged 67, and Josef B, aged 58. The court also upholds the restrictions, so that the two of them may only have contact with their lawyers.

The duo is being held on suspicion of unlawful deprivation of liberty, harm to the health of others (abuse) and money laundering. Van D. is still regarded as the father of the six young adults with whom he led a secluded life on a farm in Ruinerwold, in the province of Drenthe. The Public Prosecution wants to determine whether the group is indeed related on the basis of a DNA test. Josef B. is the tenant of the farm.

The family had been living in solitary confinement for years. In mid-October the case started rolling after the 25-year-old son had turned up several times in a village pub in Ruinerwold. When he told his story to the bartender, the latter called in the police.

BBM

Rechter gaat kijken in boerderij Ruinerwold

c8f2a98e-fb25-11e9-9466-0217670beecd.jpg

The court visited the rooms in the farm in Ruinerwold where two weeks ago 67-year-old Gerrit Jan van D. and his five presumed children were found. A spokesman for the court in Assen reported this. The judges were at the location around half past three.

BBM

Crazy.
Makes you wonder if there are other continuing cases like this that have gone unnoticed.
So, they were waiting for the "end times" ?
Was their captor brainwashing them into thinking he was some kind of "prophet" ?
Bet there was abuse of every sort occurring .
Eta : Added.

Last edited:
Crazy.
Makes you wonder if there are other continuing cases like this that have gone unnoticed.
Was their captor brainwashing them into thinking he was some kind of "prophet" ?

No end times and no prophet. Check the thread, it isn't that long. I translate all the stuff so you have the best available info. That is my mission here on WS: to give a voice to the smaller languages so their message does not drown in the English and US domination of the press.

No end times and no prophet. Check the thread, it isn't that long. I translate all the stuff so you have the best available info. That is my mission here on WS: to give a voice to the smaller languages so their message does not drown in the English and US domination of the press.
The first reports were really dramatic, but this is still pretty cult like to me.

Am going to do that.
Haven't had enough time to read all of the threads that are interesting and current.
Will try to catch up. ;)

Privacy settings

Cremation of the mother of the Ruinerwold family classified as a 'special file' at the crematorium in Zwolle.

The cremation of the mother of the hidden Ruinerwold family, who died in 2004, was kept strictly secret from the outside world by the family at the time. This is the conclusion of research by De Stentor. The crematorium in Zwolle was instructed not to disclose any details to third parties. The cremation is known to us as a 'special file'," says the director of the Kranenburg Crematorium, Fons Bergman.

Keeping a cremation secret is an exceptional request according to the director of the crematorium and the National Association of Crematoriums.

For a long time it was unclear where the woman, who was registered under the name Hye Jin Moon, had gone. Since the raid on the farm, the wildest rumours are circulating about the woman. She is said to be buried in the garden in Ruinerwold or in Hasselt, where the family lived until 2004. None of these horror stories turn out to be true. Last week, crematorium director Bergman was also approached by the police investigating the Ruinerwold case.

BBM

The remains of the mother were cremated in the Kranenburg Crematorium.
The Crematorium is only allowed to do this if a permit for burial or cremation has been issued by the town council.
The town council will only issue this permit if the death has been registered, and the death will only be registered if a physician has issued a death certificate.

End of mystery. All legal obligations were apparently met, and the rest is free according to the law, and entirely up to the surviving family to decide.

Privacy settings

Cremation of the mother of the Ruinerwold family classified as a 'special file' at the crematorium in Zwolle.

The cremation of the mother of the hidden Ruinerwold family, who died in 2004, was kept strictly secret from the outside world by the family at the time. This is the conclusion of research by De Stentor. The crematorium in Zwolle was instructed not to disclose any details to third parties. The cremation is known to us as a 'special file'," says the director of the Kranenburg Crematorium, Fons Bergman.

Keeping a cremation secret is an exceptional request according to the director of the crematorium and the National Association of Crematoriums.

For a long time it was unclear where the woman, who was registered under the name Hye Jin Moon, had gone. Since the raid on the farm, the wildest rumours are circulating about the woman. She is said to be buried in the garden in Ruinerwold or in Hasselt, where the family lived until 2004. None of these horror stories turn out to be true. Last week, crematorium director Bergman was also approached by the police investigating the Ruinerwold case.

BBM

The remains of the mother were cremated in the Kranenburg Crematorium.
The Crematorium is only allowed to do this if a permit for burial or cremation has been issued by the town council.
The town council will only issue this permit if the death has been registered, and the death will only be registered if a physician has issued a death certificate.

End of mystery. All legal obligations were apparently met, and the rest is free according to the law, and entirely up to the surviving family to decide.
I don't understand. Is her death on record or no?

I don't understand. Is her death on record or no?

Yes it is.

Dutch procedure when someone has died (and no foul play is suspected):

Physician issues a death certificate.
With the death certificate, the person's death can be registered at the town hall.
Upon registration, a permit for burial or cremation is issued.
The crematorium (cemetery) needs this permit for the cremation (burial).
Cremation or burial outside offical sites in not allowed.

There are a few rules about the number of days between the death and the funeral, this should be six working days max, with exceptions and special permits, but once the family has the death certificate, the registration and the permit, it is legally entirely up to them to decide who should or should not be involved or informed if they stick to the time frame.

Latest news:

The woman was cremated under the name she was registered with in the civil registry: Hye Jin Moon.

Hye Jin Moon died of cancer in 2004 in the hospital in Zwolle.

Moeder Ruinerwold-gezin in geheim gecremeerd

BBM

Yes it is.

Dutch procedure when someone has died (and no foul play is suspected):

Physician issues a death certificate.
With the death certificate, the person's death can be registered at the town hall.
Upon registration, a permit for burial or cremation is issued.
The crematorium (cemetery) needs this permit for the cremation (burial).
Cremation or burial outside offical sites in not allowed.

There are a few rules about the number of days between the death and the funeral, this should be six working days max, with exceptions and special permits, but once the family has the death certificate, the registration and the permit, it is legally entirely up to them to decide who should or should not be involved or informed if they stick to the time frame.

Latest news:

The woman was cremated under the name she was registered with in the civil registry: Hye Jin Moon.

Hye Jin Moon died of cancer in 2004 in the hospital in Zwolle.

Moeder Ruinerwold-gezin in geheim gecremeerd

BBM
Thank you so much for doing all of this! So... it's likely that she wasn't asian though, right? I don't know about the other children, but the one we were able to see looks caucasian as can be.

Thank you so much for translating!

Crazy.

I am pretty sure there are cases like this happening that are unnoticed.

I just had a speed-read through the thread, so my apologies if this has been discussed; this updated CBS link indicates there was a "hidden staircase" that led to the basement and "Mayor Roger de Groot said the man living with the children is not their father nor the owner of the farmhouse."

Not sure how factual that is, but IMO it's not fitting the possible scenarios of end-times / preppers.

I just had a speed-read through the thread, so my apologies if this has been discussed; this updated CBS link indicates there was a "hidden staircase" that led to the basement and "Mayor Roger de Groot said the man living with the children is not their father nor the owner of the farmhouse."

Not sure how factual that is, but IMO it's not fitting the possible scenarios of end-times / preppers.

Thank you for linking to a report that is obviously FAKE news. They may add links to make their yarn more credible but those links do not support at all what they write. In fact they often contradict it. Yet CBS brazenly adds these links to lend credibility to their FAKE reporting. It beggars belief that they would add links in support that in fact contradict their reporting, but they do it several times.

I watched the video from the link in the article and NOTHING that the text mentions has actually been said by the Mayor.

Mayor Roger de Groot said the man living with the children is not their father nor the owner of the farmhouse. "I've never seen anything like it," he told local reporters.

Debunking this FAKE news:

The video with the press conference dates form October 15.
At that time, one person had been arrested, namely Josef B.
Josef B rented the house. He did not live there. A reporter asks the Mayor if the man arrested is the father of the children. The Mayor says that he is not.

Reporters ask the Mayor if he has visited the place. The Mayor does not say he has never seen anything like it. What the Mayor does say is that he hasn't visited the place because the police is still investigating the premises.

The Mayor never mentions a basement, he says the persons were living in provisional living quarters.

From another source it has become clear that this farm does not even have a basement.

Offical reports of the Drente Police mention specifically that the people were found in a place that was NOT a cellar.
Drente Police on Twitter (link in article!) never mention a hidden staircase.

Yet CBS writes:
Local law enforcement confirmed they went to the house after receiving concerned reports from neighbors, sending a large team to investigate. They found a hidden staircase that led to a basement where the family was kept.

There is NO CONFIRMATION of that statement in the link. The only detail that is true is that LE sent a large investigation team. They specifically deny that there was a basement or cellar. There is no mention of a hidden staircase.
All this info is available, CBS links to it and then simply ignores it.

One wonders where the American press get their information or if they make it up as interesting click bait. I suspect they just don't care. Not giving a damn about what is really happening in non-English speaking corners of the world and misrepresenting information under the guise of MSM is a form of cultural appropriation and cultural colonialism. It has nothing to do with free speech. It should be condemned at all times.

Okay - here's what I put together....

Thursday, Oct. 31st:
*Hearing (@ CET) – Netherlands – Dutch Family (Oct. 14, 2019, at Buitenhuizerweg in Ruinerwold, Drenthe Province) - *Josef B., 58, (Austrian) tenant of the property (& carpenter), was arrested on 10/17/19. He is suspected of complicity in deprivation of liberty, mistreatment and money laundering.
10/17/19 Update: Josef B, appeared before an examining magistrate on Thursday (10/17/19) and was detained for 14 days (Oct. 31, 2019)on suspicion of unlawfully depriving the children of their liberty and money laundering (tens of thousands of euros in cash was found at the farm).
*Gerrit-Jan van Dorsten aka John Eagles, 67, (father) was arrested on Thursday (10/17/19) & appeared in court (10/21/19). He is suspected of complicity in unlawful deprivation of liberty, ill-treatment in the sense of damaging the health of others & money laundering.
10/17/19: Is staying in the penitentiary hospital in Scheveningen. The examining magistrate of the court extended his pre-trial detention by fourteen days on Monday, 10/21/19. He is in restriction, which means that he can only have contact with his lawyer.
10/31/19 Update: Both will remain in prison for the next ninety days (end of December). The court in Assen has decided on this. The Public Prosecution wants to determine whether the group is indeed related on the basis of a DNA test.
According to Dutch media, the family had no contact with the outside world waiting for the "end-of-times" (was proven false) and was entirely self-sufficient, living off a vegetable garden and a few animals for 9 years. The children were not registered and neighbors believed only one man (Josef B) lived alone on the farm. The father (Gerrit-Jan Van Dorsten aka John Eagles) & six children (ages 16-25; 2 men, 4 women). Jan Zon van Dorsten (aka Israel) (25) had been living in a 'small, enclosed space' at a house in Ruinerwold, 60 miles north of Amsterdam, for the last nine years until he appeared at a bar in the town on Sunday, ordered five beers, and said he couldn't go home. Two sons & a daughter, fled the parental home in Zwartsluis. 8 years ago; the three (runaway) children were the only ones of the family who were known. No one knew anything about the other six.

Thank you for linking to a report that is obviously FAKE news. They may add links to make their yarn more credible but those links do not support at all what they write. In fact they often contradict it. Yet CBS brazenly adds these links to lend credibility to their FAKE reporting. It beggars belief that they would add links in support that in fact contradict their reporting, but they do it several times.

I watched the video from the link in the article and NOTHING that the text mentions has actually been said by the Mayor.

Debunking this FAKE news:

The video with the press conference dates form October 15.
At that time, one person had been arrested, namely Josef B.
Josef B rented the house. He did not live there. A reporter asks the Mayor if the man arrested is the father of the children. The Mayor says that he is not.

Reporters ask the Mayor if he has visited the place. The Mayor does not say he has never seen anything like it. What the Mayor does say is that he hasn't visited the place because the police is still investigating the premises.

The Mayor never mentions a basement, he says the persons were living in provisional living quarters.

From another source it has become clear that this farm does not even have a basement.

Offical reports of the Drente Police mention specifically that the people were found in a place that was NOT a cellar.
Drente Police on Twitter (link in article!) never mention a hidden staircase.

Yet CBS writes:

There is NO CONFIRMATION of that statement in the link. The only detail that is true is that LE sent a large investigation team. They specifically deny that there was a basement or cellar. There is no mention of a hidden staircase.
All this info is available, CBS links to it and then simply ignores it.

One wonders where the American press get their information or if they make it up as interesting click bait. I suspect they just don't care. Not giving a damn about what is really happening in non-English speaking corners of the world and misrepresenting information under the guise of MSM is a form of cultural appropriation and cultural colonialism. It has nothing to do with free speech. It should be condemned at all times.

Sorry. It was not "obvious" to me.

Sorry. It was not "obvious" to me.

It wasn’t obvious to me either, especially considering the language barrier involved. I mean, in translations on this thread, they are referred to as the “ghost family” or something similar to that. Lol.

De twee verdachten in de zaak Ruinerwold blijven langer in beperking

The two suspects in the Ruinerwold case will remain in restriction for two more weeks. This has been confirmed by the North Netherlands Public Prosecutor's Office.

67-year-old Gerrit-Jan van D. and 58-year-old Josef B. are only allowed to have contact with their lawyers. Since their arrest in mid-October, they have been in restriction. At the end of October, the council chamber of the district court in Assen extended the pre-trial detention of the two of them by ninety days.
The duo is detained on suspicion of illegal deprivation of liberty, damage to the health of others (abuse) and money laundering.

Van D. is still regarded as the father of the six young adults with whom he led a secluded life in a farm in Ruinerwold in the province of Drenthe. The Public Prosecution wants to determine whether the group is indeed related to each other on the basis of a DNA test. Josef B. is the tenant of the farm.

BBM

I wonder if it is indeed legally possible to oblige the children to take part in this DNA-test. IMHO they have the right to refuse this test.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc
Back