Netherlands - Dutch family living in basement 9 yrs, Ruinerwold, Drenthe Province, 15 October 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.dvhn.nl/drenthe/Oudste-...et-onschuldig-zegt-hun-advocate-26766550.html

The four elder children of Ruinerwold are going to the civil court, because they want to hold father Gerrit Jan van D. liable for unlawful acts. Their lawyer Corinne Jeekel stated this on Wednesday evening in the TV programme Op1.

"They want recognition for what was not right," according to Jeekel. "That's why they want to take a different legal path and go to a civil court for a civil case. In their eyes the judiciary should assess what has happened."

The lawyer says father Gerrit Jan van D. can expect a summons soon.

The judge's ruling on 3 March came as no surprise to either the four eldest children or Jeekel. "I have not been losing sleep over it. We were prepared for this. Yet the disappointment is great. That this court case ended like this feels very unsatisfactory."

BBM

In part four of The Children of Ruinerwold, we meet two people we haven't met before: A son from a previous marriage of the mother, and her father. Stepson and father-in-law of Gerrit Jan, who kept them prisoner in an attic, mistreated them and filmed them.

Ey916FrXMAM1z59

They look frightened, like prisoners in a concentration camp. Their tormentor won't stand trial. I'm not sure what happened to them afterwards.

"The blame belongs to Gerrit Jan, not to the rest of the world"

"In other words, he is unfit to stand trial." The last words of court president Elly Lähkamp enter through the TV into the room, where Shin, Mar Jan, Edino and Israel follow the court's verdict. It is 4 March 2021 and the decision has been made. They stare into the distance. Their father Gerrit Jan van D., who made their youth a hell, is being released.

In the last episode of the four-part TV documentary The children of Ruinerwold by Jessica Villerius, you can see, among other things, how the eldest children are preparing for the court case against the 69-year-old father of Ruinerwold, which ultimately will not take place. After extensive investigation, the court in Assen determines that, as a result of his stroke in 2016, he cannot stand trial because he would not understand the proceedings and is unable to defend himself.

"Yes," Israel sighs, who escaped from the Ruinerwold farmhouse in October 2019: "On the one hand, it's not very weird of course, but now it's real." They are worried about their little brother and four younger sisters, who want to live with their father again when he is released.

Much has been said and written about how free the nine children of Gerrit Jan van D. and his wife, who died in 2004, actually were in Ruinerwold and the years before. Van D. was detained for a long time for, among other things, deprivation of liberty, but the door of the remote farmhouse at Buitenhuizerweg was not locked. So there was actually no question of deprivation of liberty, lawyer Yehudi Moszkowicz claims in the media. He assists handyman Josef B. The youngest five children confirm his story, according to the lawyer.

The suggestion that they could just walk away if they wanted to, angers Edino (28). He left the family in 2010. "I did not even know it was possible. That they say about Israel that he might have left and would have been given money if he had said he wanted to live a different life, is not true. It was impossible."

"We couldn't just walk away either," he says of himself and Mar Jan (30) and Shin (31), who fled in the years before him. "I made that choice at the time in a panic, and as a result I lost my whole family. When I left, I was terrified that I would be locked up. I had just seen how someone else had been locked up for six months. I was almost 18 and out of school. There was no reason not to lock me up for a year or six months. I thought: that's not going to happen to me."

The oldest three children were not the only ones who were regularly isolated and locked up by Van D., the documentary shows. Also his wife's father and a son of hers from a previous marriage were locked up in the house where the family lived at a certain moment in the 90s.

Hollow eyes of an emaciated, elderly Austrian man and of a pale boy stare at the camera that Van D. is holding himself. He regularly films his two prisoners. The two are together in a room, on the top floor of the house. On the door, in English, are the 'rules' that the religious fanatic has devised for his prisoners.

The way they lived with their father, who preached his own religion and hid his youngest six children from the outside world, was not a choice, Edino stresses. "We could not choose. In fact, we still don't. And you see it with young children as well, they don't have a free choice. That was all kicked and beaten out of us at a young age. Every time you made a choice, you were punished for it. At a certain point, it was impossible to make a choice without being convinced that you weren't damaging anyone by doing so."

While the youngest five children still support their father, the elder four view the situation with mixed feelings. They wanted their father to be prosecuted, but they also sympathised with their younger sisters and brother. "When I talk to them, I also see the beautiful side of how it was. I notice that I almost start doubting myself. Why are we doing this? Shouldn't we just let it rest? And then I think of everything that we have been through and I know: we have to do this."

"Each of us hoped and still hope that we can continue together, as it was before. We have always had a good relationship and now that is being blocked from both sides. We can't get around that," is how Israel (27) describes the conflict between the older and younger children.

Both of his older brothers are extremely proud that he took the step when he decided to run away and seek help in October 2019, which led to the discovery of the 'ghost family' in Ruinerwold. Shin: "I think it's incredibly brave. He has done what we wanted to do and perhaps could not do. We are also very happy to see how well he is doing and how enthusiastic he is about life."

"Israel has also opened the way for us to the future. If he had not made this choice, everything might have stayed the same for years. It may have been the hardest choice of his life and we may underestimate the impact it still has on him," Edino adds.

"He still feels like he betrayed his younger brother and sisters. He is alone a lot now, whereas he has always been used to being together. We have a life too and can't be with him 24 hours a day. He has to learn a lot of things very quickly, just like us. But his decision was the right one. It has also opened the way to the future for the youngest, I think."

The statement that their youngest brother also gives on behalf of their sisters after the court's decision to stop the criminal case, irritates Shin. The youngest son of Van D. writes that he and his sisters have not seen anything wrong at home and that he is convinced that their father never had the intention to harm his children. They also express their incomprehension that their brother Israel ran away from Ruinerwold. They think talking would have been better, because 'you can still run away anytime.'

Shin: "Israel is not guilty of anything. He has been the solution to this *advertiser censored*. I notice that that point really touches me. Also the fact that they told us they can forgive us, but not Israel, makes me angry."

According to him, the five are caught in their own bubble, a fake world, as it were. He describes the situation as hypocritical, because the younger one actually believe in a lie. "Put the blame where it belongs and that is with Gerrit Jan and not with the people around him. Not with the world that does not accept that you are home-schooled, that you are not allowed to have sex with your own children and that you are not allowed to hit your children. It is his fault and not the fault of the rest of the world. I can really get very angry about that."

What will happen to the five younger children when they live with their father again? Their older brothers and sister are worried. "I think Gerrit Jan can certainly still exert influence. I can't imagine that they can live their lives one hundred percent while he is still with them," says Mar Jan. "On the other hand, I also wish them to have their father."

It would give her peace of mind if her father stayed somewhere where he was taken care of and they did not have to worry about him. "If he goes to live with the youngest ones, that makes me uneasy. You would prefer him to be in a place where no one is troubled by him."

A few hours after the court's decision on 4 March, Van D., who had then spent 14.5 months in detention, was released. How they should deal with him and their siblings leads to discussions among the four oldest.

Edino has decided that he wants to stay involved. "If I don't go in the first three weeks, I won't go in the fourth week either. Then they will have lived in this new setting for a month and I will be an outsider when I visit. I want to be there from day one, so that I have a say. Then I will also be free to say if I disagree with something."

He, Shin and Israel are there when their father is released, out of their need to protect the youngsters. "I just don't want us to fall apart," he acknowledges. Shin: "I think we all have the same goal and that is to make sure we don't get into the same situation again, with hiding on a farm and having to sit by and watch."

BBM

De kinderen van Ruinerwold gemist? Start met kijken op NPO Start

'Het is de schuld van Gerrit Jan en niet van de rest van de wereld'

Zullen meer kinderen vader Ruinerwold verlaten?

Will more children leave the father from Ruinerwold?

'We can only guess and hope for the best'

Corinne Jeekel, lawyer for the four eldest children of Gerrit Jan van D., says that her clients have been greatly supported by the many reactions to the four-part documentary by Jessica Villerius.
She made this known Wednesday evening during an interview in the NPO TV programme Op1, after the fourth and final episode of The Children of Ruinerwold . An extra episode will be broadcast online on Thursday, while the children Israel and Edino will be the guests of De vooravond on NPO 1 that evening.

At the end of the last episode, one could read that one of the five youngest children no longer lives with the father. "This child approached documentary maker Jessica Villerius for this statement. On their own initiative," says Jeekel.

The four eldest children were already worried during the criminal case about the reunion of the five youngest with father Gerrit Jan. "I see the fact that one of those five children has left the father as an important development. Where will this lead? We can only guess and hope for the best."

Jeekel confirms that the documentary series was watched massively. "A lot of support has also been expressed to the four eldest children. They are happy to hear that. It makes them feel supported. They have gone through a difficult and intrusive time, that started in October 2019. How are they doing now? Up and down."

The lawyer said the four children have come to mean a lot to her. "They are articulate, beautiful people, on all levels. They have brought out their story at their own pace and in their own words. Thanks to this documentary, everyone understands why they chose to do this. In peace and in complete anonymity. That was a very good choice."

Jeekel says she sometimes sat bursting with laughter in the car with the four of them. "They are people with a great sense of humour. But I have been a lawyer for 26 years now and I do keep a professional distance."

BBM

DPG Media Privacy Gate

'Children of Ruinerwold' shocks neighbours and acquaintances to the core: 'Where were we all that time?

The documentary about the 'Children of Ruinerwold' has made a deep impact. Throughout the Netherlands, but especially with neighbours and people who knew the family years ago. They never could have guessed what was going on behind the doors of Gerrit Jan van D.'s family in Hasselt, for example.

"I'm completely devastated," Sandra Soer from Hasselt says. Tears are welling up in her eyes. The Ruinerwold family was - like handyman Josef B. - her neighbour for years. She watched the documentary and suddenly all kinds of pieces of the puzzle fell into place.

She had wanted to call child protection two or three times during those years. She discussed this with another neighbour, but in the end they did not do it. "What evidence did we have? The writer, as they always called van D., because he said he made a living from writing articles, would deny it anyway." They did ask once what was going on, that was when van D. said he had a crying baby. The family also often did not open the door.

Dick Kocken knew the family from the Free School in Zwolle and had previously spoken to the Stentor about them. At that time he said that Van D. was seen as an example. When asked whether he had seen the documentary, he said he had watched one episode. He did not need to see more. "Terrible. That is all I want to say about it."

Neighbour Soer heard that the beatings, the screams from the children, but there were also so many of them. "You don't think this is happening, do you?" She personally saw only seven children at any time. Another neighbour was convinced that Gerrit Jan van D. was killing babies, because he saw that the woman was pregnant but that there was no baby. A doctor never came to the house, he delivered the babies himself.

A neighbour went to visit the baby when the youngest child was born, but Soer did not dare to go in. When she saw the old father-in-law in the documentary, she was shocked. She had also seen him, his whole head covered with blood, wounded in the backyard. She thought he had run into the sunshade that they always had down. But he and his son also suddenly disappeared.

Josef B, the Austrian who is still a suspect in the notorious Ruinerwold case, was a frightened man, she remembers. He first came to live with the family and later moved in next door. He also tended to crawl for him. Everyone was afraid of Gerrit Jan. Even his wife and the children. When they first moved in, his wife used to chat a little with the neighbours, she used to do the shopping too. She was very kind, but terrified, you could tell. Later, Josef was the only one who did the shopping, with brute force. Then they would come speeding and disappear right away, everything went very quickly. Every morning Gerrit Jan left at eight and came back at half past three with all those children, all equally frightened, they did not make contact. The children were only allowed to play in the backyard.

There they sat in the tree, 'like monkeys'. Sometimes she would see them standing outside with their frightened faces for hours, and then the door would open again and they would be allowed in. In the documentary, she saw things that she could not quite fathom. "That Shin was locked up here in the shed, I find that so terrible. It was only later that we saw that they had bricked up everything on the fence. And that daughter Mar Jan has seen every corner of the room, she finds it awful. They must have insulated everything with that wood against the noise. My daughter used to play there and say the whole house was made of wood. After I saw the documentary I asked her again if he didn't do anything to her."

The backyard was a jungle. The dog called Kout later walked around the house emaciated. "We gave food to that dog. One day they were gone. Only Mar Jan was still living in the house. Now I think, why didn't you come to us, we would have helped you." She finds it incomprehensible that they did not see things for what they were. "That is what I find the worst. Everyone who has lived there thinks it is awful." She spoke to two other former neighbours who were also completely upset. Everything now appears in a different light. One of them saw Edino with those frightened eyes over the fence.

In Zwartsluis the shop was almost always closed. Closed 'because of circumstances' was always written on the door, Soer knows. The premises in Zwartsluis are still a big mess and locked up. Knowing what really happened there makes the sight of the closed fence even more gruesome.

BBM

I wonder about the time the mother had died. All children attended the cremation, but their father instructed them to say that the hidden children were children of a friend of the mother. These children look so much alike, how could anyone fail to notice that?

Just when you thought you probably had seen it all, other than more children leaving the father, there is news about Ermelo, a small town in the Veluwe area. Ermelo is part of the Dutch 'bible belt'.

A few days ago, a local paper published the following:

The municipality of Ermelo offers shelter to the children of the family from Ruinerwold who were held hostage for years by their father.

The aim is to offer the children the peace and security they need. This is the most important starting point, while the privacy of the children is also guaranteed. The municipality pays the rent for the house.

There will also be consultations with the people living in the vicinity of the house about offering the children a good living environment. The police and care institutions are involved.

Four of the five youngest children have indicated that they want to stay with the father. The hostage-taking came to light when one of the older children spoke about it in a café in Ruinerwold.

A fundraising campaign was recently launched for the children. The goal of 30,000 euro per child has already been reached. The father receives a refund of 97,000 Euros from the Public Prosecutor's Office.

The children staying in Ermelo have indicated that they do not want to speak to the press. It must be a safe place for them, says the spokesperson of the municipality Ermelo.

Kinderen gezin Ruinerwold opgevangen in Ermelo

So far, so good. The municipality mentioned that they want to be more inclusive in another message.
What could possibly go wrong?

Eeeh....

There is great unrest among residents of a Veluwe municipality now that it has become clear that the municipality is paying the rent for former Ruinerwold suspect Gerrit Jan van Dorsten and his youngest, now adult, children. According to concerned villagers, father Gerrit Jan - together with the Austrian handyman Josef B. - also goes from door to door in his wheelchair as a kind of door-to-door salesman looking for odd jobs, and he then also tells his story.

De Telegraaf has a photo of the two of them at the front door of a neighbourhood inhabitant. Gerrit Jan is sitting in his wheelchair with his beard trimmed. Next to him is a somewhat feral Josef, whose grey beard has grown considerably. The images date from early April and were taken from a camera at the door of one of the residents.

Villagers wonder why they are helping to pay for a house for a man who is suspected of child abuse, maltreatment, deprivation of liberty and who, moreover, has considerable personal wealth. Justice returned almost one hundred thousand euros to him, an amount that was seized earlier during the raid on the Drenthe farmhouse on suspicion of money laundering. Moreover, the self-proclaimed patriarch owns an enormous piece of land in Staphorst.

In addition, a considerable sum has been raised for the children, who live with their father, thanks to crowdfunding. The children also run their own creative business. Two Austrian followers of Gerrit Jan transferred a considerable amount of money to him every month. Whether this is still being done is unclear.

There seems to be no lack of money for the new eccentric and deviant religious resident of the village. "This is incomprehensible,''according to the authors of an online petition against the arrival of Van Dorsten. ''This man has destroyed the lives of his children and of his father-in-law through physical, mental and sexual abuse.''

The mentioned Austrian father-in-law was - together with his grandson - a 'prisoner' of Gerrit Jan for quite some time.

More than a hundred villagers have signed the petition by now. They are also angry that the municipality, according to them, is rolling out the red carpet for the family and that the Van Dorstens are thus circumventing the long waiting list. "There are many starters who cannot find a house,",the petition states. There are also too few affordable rental properties and the market for owner-occupied homes is overheated. "How is it possible to give a monster like Gerrit Jan van D. free priority over our hard-working starters in the municipality?''

Another resident says: ''It's a crying shame.'' Some villagers even threaten violence. ''My baseball bat is ready,'' writes one. If he came to live next to me, he would have no life.

The acting mayor understands the frustration of people who are also waiting for a house, she said Wednesday.

Robert Snorn, Van Dorsten's lawyer, does not want to say anything about the matter. No comment', he says. He says he understands that residents who have been looking for a home for a long time find the situation problematic.

Villagers also report that Van Dorsten actively visits his new villagers and asks if they have any odd jobs to do. ''He bothers people in neighbourhoods where he is pushed past the doors in his wheelchair'', reports a resident. He goes out with Josef, who would also live with them by now and who, because of Gerrit Jan's disability, mainly does the talking. His lawyer Yehudi Moszkowicz says he cannot comment.

Josef B. is still a suspect in the Ruinerwold trial, but has been released for the time being. Justice believes that the Austrian is co-responsible for the deprivation of liberty of the children when the family lived completely isolated from the outside world in the farmstead in Ruinerwold for nine years. Among other things, he brought food and money to the family.

Canvassing is not unknown to Gerrit Jan. In the past, when he and his family were not yet in hiding in Ruinerwold, he earned his living for a while by going round the doors with his - now deceased - wife. They sold religious postcards to residents, among other things. You have to make contact with other people, you learn a lot from it", he said at the time.

BBM

Apparently, Gerrit Jan hasn't changed much. Perhaps his actions might have done the talking in court

Onrust binnen Veluwse gemeente over komst Ruinerwold-vader Gerrit Jan: ’Hij valt mensen lastig’

Onrust in Ermelo na komst vader en 'klusjesman' Ruinerwold

The municipality of Ermelo has made 'an arrangement' with the children, but does not want to give any further details because of privacy concerns. "The request for a place to live came last year. At that time they were homeless, had nothing, and had been through a lot. There was no doubt that we would help them as best we could. As a municipality, we are committed to ensuring that people who need help with, for example, housing, get that help. The fact that these young adults now find themselves in the public eye doesn't change that."

The fact that the family was given priority in the search for a rental home does not go down well with some Ermelo residents. The mayor understands the criticism: "It is indeed a difficult situation on the housing market at the moment. We can not offer housing to everyone who needs it. But in our view, this took precedence over the other cases. These people were homeless and had a terribly sad situation behind them. There is no way to describe that."

The arrival of the children's father Gerrit Jan van D. and the Austrian handyman Josef B - still a suspect in the notorious case - suddenly makes the situation more delicate. "The children themselves have requested that the father be accepted into their family," the mayor says. The fact that the father also lives at this address is no reason for the municipality of Ermelo to stop the arrangement with the children.

Initially, there were five young adults involved. But after seeing the much-discussed documentary 'De kinderen van Ruinerwold' the youngest one also left the family. According to a neighbour who wishes to remain anonymous, the girl is currently staying in another municipality in the province of Gelderland. "Shortly after the documentary was broadcast, the place was swarming with police. There was a massive search for that girl. But she never came back."

BBM

Well I'd be pizzed to if I lived there! Gerritt has enough money himself - no need for handouts - and he doesn't seem to be too disabled if he can go around in his wheelchair!! Glad to hear another child left...

and THANKS @ZaZara for all these updates! :)

Well I'd be pizzed to if I lived there! Gerritt has enough money himself - no need for handouts - and he doesn't seem to be too disabled if he can go around in his wheelchair!! Glad to hear another child left...

and THANKS @ZaZara for all these updates! :)

My first reaction when I read the news was that Gerrit Jan had fooled them all, and I am still not convinced that he hasn't.

The four eldest children blame handyman Josef B. ... well I wonder if he would be either bright enough or stupid enough to take the Arch Father for a tour. If it was Gerrit Jan's idea, then he is able communicate a lot more than the courts give him credit for, plus he would still be in command.
If so, that is exactly the situation that the eldest four were afraid of.

I wonder what it is really like in that house now that the father has returned and Josef B would presumably be living with them too - history seems to be repeating itself.

Oldest children Ruinerwold regret upheaval about home of youngest

The four eldest children of the Ruinerwold family believe that unrest was caused by father Gerrit Jan van D. and suspect Josef B. in the Veluwe village where the father and four youngest children live. They regret this upheaval. They made this known through their lawyer Corinne Jeekel in a statement published on Facebook this evening.

Earlier today, the Telegraaf reported that there is unrest in the municipality because the father would be pushed in his wheelchair by the Austrian handyman Josef B.. They would go around the houses like door-to-door salesmen, looking for odd jobs.

According to the four eldest children, the handyman Josef B. violated the anonymity of their younger brother and sisters. Because of this, their whereabouts were exposed and the peace and safety they so desperately needed came to an end. At a time when they need this so desperately, at the start of their integration into our society,' lawyer Jeekel writes on behalf of the eldest four children.

With this statement, Jeekel is not only responding to reports by the Telegraaf, but also to stories that the Stentor wrote earlier this weekend. Contrary to the lawyer's statement, the Stentor did not publish a report on the Ruinerwold family this afternoon.

Last weekend the Stentor reported that a Veluwe municipality is taking care of the youngest four children. It was a conscious decision not to reveal the place of residence in order to respect the children's privacy.

The same report states that the municipality pays the rent of the house in which the youngest children have been living since July last year. Father Gerrit Jan van D. moved in with them after his release. The mayor confirms this. But in the statement that was issued this evening, the oldest four children contradict this. That the municipality would take care of the rent is not correct according to the oldest four children. 'A realistic rent, tailored to the financial situation of the residents, has indeed been agreed.'

They also 'express a word of thanks' that the municipality offered their younger brother and sisters housing at the time. This was in a very unsettled and critical period for them, in which their father was imprisoned and the criminal proceedings had only just begun (with the prospect of a long prison sentence).'

The eldest children, through their lawyer, had a prejudgment attachment levied on the more than 95,000 euros that father Gerrit Jan stands to receive from the Public Prosecution Service (OM). This amount of cash was seized in October 2019 during the raid on the farm in Ruinerwold. The court ruled earlier that Van D. is unable to stand trial due to his brain injury. The four eldest children then announced that they would be starting a civil procedure against their father. Through this procedure they also want to prevent the payment of the money to him.

The Public Prosecution Service does not want to comment whether the money has indeed not been paid out. 'It is not our role to say anything about that, that is much more up to the four children and their lawyer,' according to a spokesman Wednesday evening.

BBM

DPG Media Privacy Gate

Jessica Villerius shot about 150 hours of film and obviously could not use everything for the 4 part documentary. Together with the four elder children, she selected material that they would like to see in the documentary anyway. Thus, part 5 was made, and broadcast online.

Part 5 starts with Israel, he explains what he felt when he ran away and went to look for help. Israel tells that from their earliest days, they we taught to think like their father: what would HE think when he saw us do things? When Israel ran away, he had had to put that way of thinking completely aside, and now he worries that he may return to the old way of thinking when he sees his father again.
Imagine what it was like for him when he finally had gone to the Police and they brought him back and made him promise to go inside again. Israel had lost his 'faith' two years before already.

Final episode of the Ruinerwold documentary: 'For the past ten years I have lived under a mask'

"Actually, I've always wanted only one thing and that is to be normal. Mar Jan becomes visibly emotional as she makes her point. It is March 2021. The bizarre story about the family she comes from has been known for almost a year and a half now. "I am a bit empty and looking for peace. I can start building my own life now. I have that peace now that the secret is out."

Neither she nor her brothers Shin and Edino, who left the now world-famous family in 2008, 2009 and 2010, had talked to anyone about it before October 2019. None of their friends knew their full story. Edino: "I think I've been living under a mask for the past ten years for the most part."

In the additional online episode of the documentary 'The children of Ruinerwold' by Jessica Villerius, the eldest children tell how and when they ran away in the period before the family moved to Ruinerwold in 2010. In the family, religious maniac Gerrit Jan van D. subjected his nine children to his strict regime, where fear ruled and where deprivation of liberty, violence and sexual abuse were the order of the day. At least in the eyes of the oldest four. The youngsters, with one exception, still support their father.

Apart from their past, the oldest three children have one more thing in common: since leaving their father, brothers and sisters - their mother died back in 2004 - they had never told anyone their whole story until October 2019. That changed when Israel ran away from the Ruinerwold farm, seeking help and the younger brother and sisters with father Van D. were found.

Edino: "Everyone around me was surprised when this came out. 'Huh, you?' 'How then?' They had never expected it. "In the past I have told that my father had left for a monastery in Austria. Later I did tell them that I myself had left, because the situation was no longer tenable, but no one around me knew what was really going on."

Mar Jan (30) was the first to leave the family in 2008. "Since my mother died, I have been almost constantly isolated from the rest of the family. I was not part of it. I was sort of doing my time. I sat in a room with nothing and thought: what am I still doing here?"

She was 18 when she left. "The first weeks were survival. I was no longer a child, but I also did not know where to turn for help." Still, she ends up well, but she also still suffers from everything that happened to her, she says. "No one wants to constantly be dealing with the past, but I can't pretend it didn't happen."

"All three of us are suffering from things that we are still dealing with now, although it doesn't seem that way to many people, because we are just participating in society," Mar Jan continues. "There are things we run up against that make us lag behind people our own age. I see that with the young siblings as well. I've come to terms with it now, but certainly until well after I was 20, I felt that other people had more opportunities, allowing them to do things that I couldn't."

"I could only start an education later. That had to do with money; I had no safety net. You then feel it takes more effort to get somewhere where others have already taken things for granted. I might have had a lot more work experience, for example. And now I've been sitting at home unemployed for a year and a half, because you can't work when you have so much to deal with."

A year after her, brother Shin (31) leaves the family. He is depressed, because his father does not allow him to do anything but work and sleep. He was living with, among others, handyman Josef B. and his brother Edino in a shed in Meppel, which was also used as a workshop. Father Van D. keeps promising that better times will come, but slowly reality dawns on Shin. "Suddenly I realised: in twenty years time I will still be doing the same thing, so I had better leave."

Despite the fear that his father will find him, he leaves one evening with a backpack with some clothes in it and some money that he steals from Josef's wallet. "At first I thought that maybe my father was right. That he was the Messiah after all and that I had ruined everything by leaving."

He nevertheless continues and that night he walks from Meppel to Zwolle, where he sleeps on a bench and in the morning catches a train to Utrecht. There he wandered around for six months. "I had never felt so free. First I slept in the bushes with my sleeping bag, I had a radio and was very happy. Suddenly I was free of everything. I got the ultimate feeling of freedom. I've never had that since."

Through a friend, whom he met when he ended up in a homeless shelter, he eventually got a room and also found work. "I've been away for ten years now and I haven't got a job or finished an education that I liked. And only now am I starting to wonder what I want to do." Shin has been in therapy for seven years because of his recurring depression due to the misery of his past. Most of all, he was a victim of violence and humiliation. Among other things, he lived in a dog kennel for a time as a teenager.
Seeing, hearing Shin tell about his life in the dog kennel is heartbreaking. He was a sweet dog, he says full of emotion, about the dog. The animal would warn when the father was coming out of the house, and he also kept him warm. Video around 10-12 minutes, just listen to the sound and notice the body language.

In 2010, before the family moved to Ruinerwold, Edino (28) also fled. "I was in a panic. Josef was shopping and I thought: this is my only chance. I grabbed a bag and ran away." He first goes to his sister, with whom he has secretly made contact via Hyves, and then lives with brother Shin for a few weeks. Eventually he applied for student grants and moved to Baflo to study in Groningen.

"I knew I could pay the rent, but my school fees didn't work out and I travelled by train every day illegally. When I hear the music I listened to a lot back then, I am back in that train with that lonely feeling. I was in debt because I hadn't learned how to manage money and I suddenly had a lot of freedom, so I made quite a few wrong choices."

After some wandering, he ended up in Zwolle. Through the years, he regularly went to Ruinerwold. "I often drove past the farm and sat at a distance on a bench with binoculars, which I had bought specially for the purpose. Then I would sit and watch. At first I was very scared that I would be spotted, but later I thought: so what if they can see me..."

Edino seems cheerful and happy, but like Shin he also suffers from depression. Shin says to him: "You are very social, you have gathered a lot of people around you and you maintain the contacts as well. Sometimes I think, where do you get your energy from? But because you are busy with your surroundings, you forget your own problems. I have gathered fewer people around me and I automatically withdraw more. Then those feelings come up more. With you it's deeper.

Edino acknowledges that. "But we were taught in our upbringing that feeling sorry for yourself is wrong. If I think of what I have had the most punishment for, it is feeling sorry for myself. I am happy with a lot of things, though. If I look at what has saved me in the last seven years, it is my children. Because of them, I haven't been able to relapse all these years."

"I think now that it's all finally out in the open, the path is clear to look at who we are and what we want," Shin concludes. "We were in a place that was created until now, because that's how life went. Now we have the chance to say, 'This is what we want and we are free to go and do that."'

BBM

Extra online aflevering gemist? Start met kijken op NPO Start
Slot Ruinerwold-docu: 'Ik heb de afgelopen tien jaar met een masker op geleefd'

Nieuwe aangifte tegen Ruinerwold-vader vanwege zedendelict

Ruinerwold father reported for sexual abuse

A new report has been filed against Ruinerwold father Gerrit Jan van D. It concerns 'sexually transgressive behaviour' against one of the younger children. The Public Prosecution Service announced this.

"The report is currently being investigated," a spokeswoman confirmed. "As usual in moral cases, we will not go into further detail at this stage. This affects the privacy of a family that has already been in the limelight," she continues. Where the alleged sexual abuse was committed, has not been disclosed.

Lawyer Corinne Jeekel, who represents the four eldest children, confirms that one of the five younger children reported the case. After the release of Van D., they went to live with him again in Ermelo. Sources report that the young woman no longer lives with her father. Jeekel does not want to comment.

Jeekel: "The four eldest children are aware that one of the youngsters has made a report. Otherwise they have nothing to add to the information provided by the Public Prosecutor's Office. Whether it is the same woman who recently left the house in Ermelo is not clear."

The court in Assen stopped the trial against Gerrit Jan van D. in early March. He was suspected of years of deprivation of liberty of all his nine children and including sexual abuse of two of them. Because of the consequences of a stroke, Van D. (69) is unable to stand trial, according to the court. He cannot talk and would not be able to understand a trial.

The new investigation against him is carried out in the eastern part of the Netherlands, because he went to live there after his pre-trial detention. A spokeswoman did not want to say whether Van D. was also arrested again. Lawyer Robert Snorn, who assisted Van D. during the criminal case in Assen, says he does not know anything about the report. "But it is not necessarily customary that a lawyer is informed immediately," he reacts.

BBM

Vader Ruinerwold-gezin mag huis kinderen tijdelijk niet in

Father of Ruinerwold family temporarily not allowed to enter children's house

Ermelo has issued a restraining order against Gerrit Jan van D.
The ban means that the father of the 'Ruinerwold family' is no longer allowed to stay with his children in their house in the Veluwe municipality.

According to the municipality, the safety of the children is insufficiently guaranteed with him in the house. The municipality says it has received "signals" about this and speaks of an "appropriate intervention".

Van D. has been transferred to a care institution.

The reason for the restraining order is, among other things, a new complaint of a sexual transgression allegedly committed by Van D., about which RTV Drenthe reported yesterday. The Public Prosecution Service is investigating this report.

The restraining order would have come into effect on 28 April and initially applies for 10 days. What happens after this Friday is unclear. A restraining order can be extended to 28 days. The municipality has stated that it cannot share anything else about the case for reasons of privacy.

BBM

Vader Ruinerwold-gezin mag huis kinderen tijdelijk niet in

Father of Ruinerwold family temporarily not allowed to enter children's house

Ermelo has issued a restraining order against Gerrit Jan van D.
The ban means that the father of the 'Ruinerwold family' is no longer allowed to stay with his children in their house in the Veluwe municipality.

According to the municipality, the safety of the children is insufficiently guaranteed with him in the house. The municipality says it has received "signals" about this and speaks of an "appropriate intervention".

Van D. has been transferred to a care institution.

The reason for the restraining order is, among other things, a new complaint of a sexual transgression allegedly committed by Van D., about which RTV Drenthe reported yesterday. The Public Prosecution Service is investigating this report.

The restraining order would have come into effect on 28 April and initially applies for 10 days. What happens after this Friday is unclear. A restraining order can be extended to 28 days. The municipality has stated that it cannot share anything else about the case for reasons of privacy.

BBM
Wow! This is extremely disturbing. So it appears that he’s not as “disabled” as the courts were led to believe. Those eldest children were exactly correct on how dangerous he still is. (My opinion, of course.)

Can't stand trial, cannot communicate... yet he is actively soliciting work from his neighbors with the help of a co-defendant in the case, and also recently sexually abusing at least one of his offspring.

Okay.

Wow! This is extremely disturbing. So it appears that he’s not as “disabled” as the courts were led to believe. Those eldest children were exactly correct on how dangerous he still is. (My opinion, of course.)

IMO the Court used objective, scientific standards to come to their decision, but persons who are used to living together operate on a totally different level. On that level, the father would be able to have a lot of influence over the children. While at the same time, he would not be able to answer complicated questions about his beliefs for instance.

I have been wondering about the recent living arrangements of the younger children and the father. I read somewhere that the children had started their own 'creative company'. To create what? It felt like an arrangement like the one that their brother Shin escaped from, years ago. Of course things are different now that the family is no longer living in isolation, but still I felt uneasy about it.

A year after her, brother Shin (31) leaves the family. He is depressed, because his father does not allow him to do anything but work and sleep. He was living with, among others, handyman Josef B. and his brother Edino in a shed in Meppel, which was also used as a workshop. Father Van D. keeps promising that better times will come, but slowly reality dawns on Shin. "Suddenly I realised: in twenty years time I will still be doing the same thing, so I had better leave."

Ruinerwold-vader Van D. mag voorlopig niet bij de jongste kinderen komen

Father Gerrit Jan van D. of the Ruinerwold family is not allowed to come near the home of the youngest children for the next ninety days. The Public Prosecution Service has decided this. The Public Prosecutor has imposed a so-called behavioural order.

After the lawsuit against Van D. was dropped, the family moved to Ermelo. On 28 April, the municipality of Ermelo imposed a ten-day restraining order on Van D. because the safety of his family members - his children - could not be guaranteed. The intervention followed a report by one of the children that Van D had been involved in sexually transgressive behaviour.

The municipal authorities did not extend the restraining order, but as a result of the instructions from the Public Prosecution Service, Van D. cannot return to his youngest children who live at home.

In a statement, the Public Prosecutor's Office writes that it needs time to assess the charges, among other things. In the meantime the OM wants to keep Van D. away from the children. Therefore, for the next ninety days he is not allowed to contact the family member who filed the report and he is not allowed to visit the house of the youngest children.

"The ultimate goal is to come to an appropriate intervention that does justice to the interests of all concerned," according to the Public Prosecutor's Office in a statement.

BBM

Vader Ruinerwold-gezin onder dwang opgenomen in zorginstelling

Gerrit Jan van D. lived with his youngest children in Ermelo after the court case ended in March. Due to the report of sexually trangressive behaviour, he was ordered to stay away from the home of his children for ninety days. His lawyer has since confirmed to Dagblad van het Noorden that Gerrit Jan van D. is in a care institution. It is also known that this was an involuntary admission. His lawyer does not want to say whether Gerrit Jan van D. was admitted to a psychiatric hospital or to a (closed) ward of a nursing home.

BBM

OM seponeert aangifte zedenmisdrijf Ruinerwold-vader

The Public Prosecutor's Office (OM) has dismissed a charge of sexually transgressive behaviour against Gerrit Jan van D., the father of nine children in the notorious Ruinerwold case.

The OM Oost-Nederland announced this on Thursday morning.

The 68-year old Van D. is alleged to have committed the offence in Ermelo, within his own family. The OM is of the opinion that the criminal act can be proven, but that "an approach other than criminal prosecution would be preferable." The man is currently living in a care institution.

BBM

IMO the father would be unfit to stand trial once again. So that option is probably out anyway.

DPG Media Privacy Gate

Ruinerwold-father Gerrit Jan van D. committed to closed clinic for six months

Gerrit Jan van D., the father of the Ruinerwold family, has been compulsorily committed to a care institution for at least six months. This emerges from a ruling by the District Court of Gelderland. This means that, for the time being, the risk of repeat offences within the family has been averted. Gerrit Jan van D. is restricted in his freedom of movement, in receiving visitors, and is forcefully given fluids, medication and food, should this be necessary.

The ruling by the District Court of Gelderland was issued on 21 May of this year. The Public Prosecutor had requested this so-called care measure. The court granted that request. The court's reasoning shows that Gerrit Jan van D. has serious mental disorders. Experts have determined that he has a severe personality disorder with narcissistic, antisocial characteristics, possibly including schizophrenia.

The court furthermore said that there is a considerable chance that Gerrit Jan van D. will again cause serious harm to the children if he does not receive proper care. The ruling also shows that both Gerrit Jan van D. and his youngest children want to be reunited. The Netherlands Institute for Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology (NIFP), examined Gerrit Jan van D. The NIFP writes: ,,(...) However, there is a clear risk of seriously damaging behaviour towards the children. When the person involved returns to his family (both the person involved and the youngest children want to be reunited), there is a chance of a resurgence of the old dynamics, also because the youngest children are still indoctrinated(...)".

For the court, the fact that this may already have happened also counts heavily. The ruling states that the public prosecutor has 'serious objections' against Gerrit Jan van D. because, after his release in March of this year, he might have committed a sex crime with one of his children in Ermelo. Last Thursday, the Public Prosecutor dismissed the case. Gerrit Jan van D. was released in March after the court in Assen stopped his trial because he was not able to follow his case. Because of a stroke he is paralysed on one side and he can hardly communicate.

The verdict also shows that Gerrit Jan van D. himself wanted to live with a good friend instead of being committed. His lawyer Paul van Oss was more interested in a restraining order to prevent any new sex crimes. The court does not see any point in this because Gerrit Jan van D. needs care that can only be provided in a specialised clinic.

The compulsory admission lasts at least until 21 September. After that, the judge can extend the period once more by one year. This can be done up to a total of five years. If, according to the experts, compulsory admission is still necessary after 5 years, the period can be extended by a further two years.

BBM

Thank you ZaZara for keeping this threat updated and translating the articles to english. He needs to be kept in that institution for the rest of his life.
The younger ones clearly are under his control and do not see anything wrong with his behaviour. I really hope everyone of his kids can have a fulfilling life out of the shadow of this man.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oakes
Back