New Guinea - Amelia Earhart & Fred Noonan, en route to Howland Island, 2 July 1937

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok - I should have made it clearer that I'm not leaning towards any of the theories. I think both of the main theories sound possible, just which one is the right one (or if something else entirely happened) depends largely on things we don't know for sure. I just put those links here in case people were interested. Even if she was not in Saipan at all, I do think that investigating all the claims that she was could help rule out this theory and figure out who the reports are about then.

I'm sorry if I came across as not being interested in the articles, I read them and liked them. I just think that all of that has been looked at and dismissed. I like any information on this topic though. I hope they can find something when they go back to Nikumaroro.

Keep adding stuff. It's an interesting topic. What's your theory?

I'm sorry if I came across as not being interested in the articles, I read them and liked them. I just think that all of that has been looked at and dismissed. I like any information on this topic though. I hope they can find something when they go back to Nikumaroro.

Keep adding stuff. It's an interesting topic. What's your theory?

Thanks, it's fine. :) I think that even if it wasn't her, there has GOT to be a reason why so many people would report seeing a short-haired American woman who disappeared, etc. It'd be interesting to know if there's a reason behind it and if so who it could have been.

I don't really have a theory, my mind isn't fully made up yet. I think that the Nikumaroro theory is probably the most likely one IMO. I don't see how they could have found a woman's shoe of the same brand she wore, if it's a coincidence then it's a huge one. I think it's likely that they died on the island or while trying to escape. I don't know if I think that there was a cover-up where the bodies are concerned (someone here said that a man's skeleton was found, so not hers, and I wonder if any connection to Noonan has been ruled out), they could have simply been washed away by the tide or if someone found them and didn't know who they were, they could have been buried.

I think that if they were ever somewhere else, it was via Nikumaroro (e.g. being found by a passing ship).

:moo: of course. As I said, I'm not entirely sure of anything.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/30/world/earhart-plane-search/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

(CNN) -- A grainy sonar image taken hundreds of feet below the ocean's surface may help unravel a mystery that has baffled historians for decades.

What happened to aviator Amelia Earhart, and where's her plane?...

1_anomaly.jpg

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/66_NikuVIIUpdate/1_anomaly.jpg

Federal judge rejects lawsuit claiming searchers secretly found Amelia Earhart's missing plane

A federal judge on Friday dismissed a Wyoming man's claims that an aircraft recovery group secretly found wreckage of aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart's missing airplane in the South Pacific but kept it quiet so it could continue raising funds for the search.

[snip]

Expert witnesses for Mellon filed statements in court earlier this year saying they saw similarities between parts of Earhart's plane and objects shown on video of the ocean floor from the aircraft recovery group's 2010 search.

However, in his ruling Friday, Skavdahl said underwater video showing objects that may appear similar to airplane parts wasn't good enough to keep Mellon's lawsuit alive.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2014/07/25/judge-dismisses-lawsuit-over-amelia-earhart-search

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/10/29/amelia-earhart-plane-fragment-identified/

Amelia Earhart plane fragment identified

"New research strongly suggests that a piece of aluminum aircraft debris recovered in 1991 from Nikumaroro, an uninhabited atoll in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati, does belong to Earhart’s twin-engined Lockheed Electra.

The search for Amelia Earhart is about to continue in the pristine waters of a tiny uninhabited island, Nikumaroro, between Hawaii and Australia".

http://news.discovery.com/history/u...om&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=MythBusters

The patch replaced a navigational window: A Miami Herald photo shows the Electra departing for San Juan, Puerto Rico on the morning of Tuesday, June 1, 1937 with a shiny patch of metal where the window had been.

“The Miami Patch was an expedient field repair," Ric Gillespie, executive director of TIGHAR, told Discovery News. "Its complex fingerprint of dimensions, proportions, materials and rivet patterns was as unique to Earhart’s Electra as a fingerprint is to an individual."

More at link.

Okay, I'll bite.............so where is the rest of the plane ?? You know....the tires, the engine, the wings...the big stuff.

That piece of sheet metal could have drifted for a thousand miles or more and could have come from any one of a hundred different "patch" jobs done on the skins of airplanes back then, including military craft.

Okay, I'll bite.............so where is the rest of the plane ?? You know....the tires, the engine, the wings...the big stuff.

That piece of sheet metal could have drifted for a thousand miles or more and could have come from any one of a hundred different "patch" jobs done on the skins of airplanes back then, including military craft.

From reading the articles it appears that the piece they found is like a fingerprint. The size and rivet pattern is distinctive and matches the records of the repair done in Australia.

The rest of the airplane most likely fell off the shelf it had been resting on and is farther down or possibly resting under the shelf which is why it can't be seen with surface radar.

I watched a 2 hour documentry about this very thing .Its the same guy that did the documentary that is now saying he has the piece .Whats really wierd is awhile ago like a year or longer ago this same group held a press conference claiming they have solved the earhart mystery and the evidence they had was this same piece of plane and a few months down the road they had to say they were wrong because as experts took notice and said it didnt match the earhart plane and now there back again and somehow this piece now has the correct rivets spots so it lines up..So that makes me wonder how did the piece they found now all the sudden have the right rivet spots .It's the same piece so how did it change when before it didn line up ..In that documentary there were forensics people that went all over the island hoping to find her bones or clothes but nothing came up so they wanted to try a expariment as they noticed that every night thier was hundred of huge crabs that would come outta the water on to land and go to thier burrows which were over a meter long and the hole was the with of a mini basket ball so what they did is get a dead pig and leave it on the island when they came back the next day there was not one piece of that pig left so thats when they realiced that if she lived she would have to do it on the island but once she died being it from the plane crash or just simply died which ever it is they realized that if she had died the crabs woulda devowerd her in a few days and then when they get some thing they take it back inside there burrows and they thought thats why they have never found a trace of her ..

New Pacific expedition will search for Earhart’s plane

The search for clues into the disappearance of Amelia Earhart continues. Next month researchers from The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) will set off on a new expedition to the remote Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro in an attempt to further unravel the mystery.

Aviation pioneer Earhart disappeared somewhere over the Pacific Ocean in 1937 during her second attempt to circumnavigate the globe by air. Dozens of theories about the nature of Earhart’s death have sprung up over the years. It remains one of the most debated unsolved mysteries in America even today.

The trip will be TIGHAR’s eleventh expedition to Nikumaroro, also known as Gardner Island. A team of researchers will leave Fiji on June 8 for the 1,000-mile voyage to the atoll, arriving June 13. Once there, TIGHAR will conduct 14 days of research both on land and at sea.

Ric Gillespie, the group’s executive director, told FoxNews.com that search efforts will be focused on the west end of the atoll.

“We’ll use a camera-equipped underwater Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV) to investigate a sonar anomaly at a depth of 600 feet that could be the fuselage of Earhart’s Lockheed Electra,” he told FoxNews.com, in an email.

An experienced team of divers will search shallower waters around the atoll for aircraft debris and an onshore search team will also look for signs of an “initial survival campsite.”

Gillespie told FoxNews.com that the group hopes to make discoveries, but acknowledges that it could come home empty-handed. For this trip to Nikumaroro, he explained, TIGHAR is shifting the focus of its search efforts in attempt to find Earhart’s plane.

TIGHAR’s dive team will make an intensive search from the point on the reef edge where the plane appears to have gone into the water (the 1937 Bevington Object location).

“If we were continuing to excavate the castaway campsite at the southeast end of the atoll I would say that we could ‘expect’ to make further discoveries,” Gillespie said. “It’s an established archaeological site where we know a castaway died - apparently female and of Earhart’s height and ethnic origin - and where we have found artifacts that speak of an American woman of the 1930s.”

However, on this trip, the TIGHAR team wants to search “underwater targets” that it identified on the west end of Nikumaroro after its last expedition to the atoll in 2012.

Last year a photo of Earhart’s plane, captured by the Miami Herald in 1937, was touted as crucial evidence regarding the famous aviator’s disappearance. The picture, snapped right before Earhart made her ill-fated second attempt to fly around the world, shows a patch of aluminum bolted onto Earhart’s plane that has been described as a key clue in solving the Earhart mystery. Gillespie is convinced he and his team discovered the same aluminum plate on Nikumaroro in 1991.

While TIGHAR is convinced that Nikumaroro is Earhart’s final resting place, another theory suggests that she met her end on Mili Atoll in the Marshall Islands, some 1,200 miles away.

Follow James Rogers on Twitter @jamesjrogers

New Pacific expedition will search for Earhart’s plane

The search for clues into the disappearance of Amelia Earhart continues. Next month researchers from The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) will set off on a new expedition to the remote Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro in an attempt to further unravel the mystery.

Aviation pioneer Earhart disappeared somewhere over the Pacific Ocean in 1937 during her second attempt to circumnavigate the globe by air. Dozens of theories about the nature of Earhart’s death have sprung up over the years
TIGHAR’s dive team will make an intensive search from the point on the reef edge where the plane appears to have gone into the water (the 1937 Bevington Object location).

<Snip> I can't wait!! This is one story that I would like to find closure on. She and her air travels have always held me in suspense ( If that makes sense). I sure hope they find something! Thank you Hilda! :blowkiss:

New Pacific expedition will search for Earhart&#8217;s plane

Aviation pioneer Earhart disappeared somewhere over the Pacific Ocean in 1937 during her second attempt to circumnavigate the globe by air. Dozens of theories about the nature of Earhart&#8217;s death have sprung up over the years. It remains one of the most debated unsolved mysteries in America even today.

The trip will be TIGHAR&#8217;s eleventh expedition to Nikumaroro, also known as Gardner Island. A team of researchers will leave Fiji on June 8 for the 1,000-mile voyage to the atoll, arriving June 13. Once there, TIGHAR will conduct 14 days of research both on land and at sea.

Ric Gillespie, the group&#8217;s executive director, told FoxNews.com that search efforts will be focused on the west end of the atoll.

&#8220;We&#8217;ll use a camera-equipped underwater Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV) to investigate a sonar anomaly at a depth of 600 feet that could be the fuselage of Earhart&#8217;s Lockheed Electra,&#8221; he told FoxNews.com, in an email.

An experienced team of divers will search shallower waters around the atoll for aircraft debris and an onshore search team will also look for signs of an &#8220;initial survival campsite.&#8221;

Gillespie told FoxNews.com that the group hopes to make discoveries, but acknowledges that it could come home empty-handed. For this trip to Nikumaroro, he explained, TIGHAR is shifting the focus of its search efforts in attempt to find Earhart&#8217;s plane.

TIGHAR&#8217;s dive team will make an intensive search from the point on the reef edge where the plane appears to have gone into the water (the 1937 Bevington Object location).

&#8220;If we were continuing to excavate the castaway campsite at the southeast end of the atoll I would say that we could &#8216;expect&#8217; to make further discoveries,&#8221; Gillespie said. &#8220;It&#8217;s an established archaeological site where we know a castaway died - apparently female and of Earhart&#8217;s height and ethnic origin - and where we have found artifacts that speak of an American woman of the 1930s.&#8221;

However, on this trip, the TIGHAR team wants to search &#8220;underwater targets&#8221; that it identified on the west end of Nikumaroro after its last expedition to the atoll in 2012.

Last year a photo of Earhart&#8217;s plane, captured by the Miami Herald in 1937, was touted as crucial evidence regarding the famous aviator&#8217;s disappearance. The picture, snapped right before Earhart made her ill-fated second attempt to fly around the world, shows a patch of aluminum bolted onto Earhart&#8217;s plane that has been described as a key clue in solving the Earhart mystery. Gillespie is convinced he and his team discovered the same aluminum plate on Nikumaroro in 1991.

While TIGHAR is convinced that Nikumaroro is Earhart&#8217;s final resting place, another theory suggests that she met her end on Mili Atoll in the Marshall Islands, some 1,200 miles away.

I really do hate to be negative on this, but I wouldn't expect anything to come from this. All of the islands in that area were extensively searched in 1937. If the plane was not found then, it's highly unlikely it will be found in the same place 80 years later.

I do think it is possible that her plane could still be found. But if they are going to find it, they are going to have to look in waters a lot deeper then that.

What of the eyewitnesses who saw her as a POW on Saipan? IIRC researchers even looked for her grave.

Another US serviceman years later claims he found her papers on Saipan and either him or another serviceman even claimed to see her airplane. The army then destroyed it for reasons unknown.

Amelia Earhart's final photoshoot in California is well known; they were taken just before she continued her round-the-world flight and disappeared, seemingly forever. She had been recovering there, from injuries received after her plane crashed in Hawaii.

Now publisher Doug Westfall has discovered a film of the photoshoot - the very last moving images of Amelia as she poses beside her plane. It had been hidden away in California for decades, by the man who shot the film. He died 20 years ago, and his son has just released the film to Westfall's Paragon Agency.

AP's video report can be viewed here, showing clips of the film. Earhart looks much taller than I thought she was.

http://t.co/I9rOK7MzyT

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-09-09-24-43-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-09-09-24-43-1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 50

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads