New Search 9/12/2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think I understand it all now ...

• Dogs hit on an area of disturbed dirt
  • Anthropologist was called in to determine whether the area had artifacts which would indicate this could be a Native American or early settler burial site. It was determined to be "a newer burial site".
  • More cadaver dogs were called in to validate the "human remains hit"
  • Now LE can begin excavating and process the remains.
That was confusing for a while!

Not to mention... these dogs will hit on an area that used to contain a body.

So someone could have buried a body there... then recently moved it... and all of this could be for nothing.
I hope they did use ground penetrating radar.

Say there WAS a body there... and then someone came down and moved that body on a camping trip.

Say LE had a GPS on that person's vehicle so they know where that person went on their camping trip.

Then after going there, that person just went back to their hotel... or to eat... or to the store... and didn't go to any other wilderness areas.

So, LE assumes that he moved the body TO this location, rather than FROM it. Or just checked to make sure it was still there.

Has anyone considered that the body may have been taken from this "possible grave" and just taken to wherever the person was going next?

Almost everywhere has dumpsters... and that has actually happened before.
Where someone went and got the body years later and then threw the bones in the dumpster... just a thought...

I do think they believe this is a big deal. They don't guard sites at night for no reason, kwim?

bbm

As of 5 p.m. MDT, searchers and dogs had dug into the gravesite about 1 foot deep and 3 feet wide, NBC station KSL reported. Merritt said dogs continued to give a "strong indication" that remains are present.

"The dogs are smelling something," he said. "It's human decomposition."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44537821/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.TnLAsmaGkXw

Not to mention... these dogs will hit on an area that used to contain a body.

So someone could have buried a body there... then recently moved it... and all of this could be for nothing.
I hope they did use ground penetrating radar.

Say there WAS a body there... and then someone came down and moved that body on a camping trip.

Say LE had a GPS on that person's vehicle so they know where that person went on their camping trip.

Then after going there, that person just went back to their hotel... or to eat... or to the store... and didn't go to any other wilderness areas.

So, LE assumes that he moved the body TO this location, rather than FROM it. Or just checked to make sure it was still there.

Has anyone considered that the body may have been taken from this "possible grave" and just taken to wherever the person was going next?

Almost everywhere has dumpsters... and that has actually happened before.
Where someone went and got the body years later and then threw the bones in the dumpster... just a thought...

bbm

I thought of that, but then I think it may be the other way around. If there was snow on the ground like they said, then I think it would have been too hard to even dig a shallow grave. So I wonder if she was somewhere else, LE was getting too close, so she was moved...?

No actual human remains have been found in the search for missing Utah woman Susan Powell, though police cadaver dogs did pick up scents at a desert location, police reportedly said, clarifying earlier claims that they had found remains.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/susan-powe...uncement-mistaken-officials/story?id=14525301

I really don't understand what is going on.

It is certainly confusing. I wonder whether the idea is to keep the pressure on the Ps by letting events move extremely quickly, but to semi-officially announce a find of bones, which become "human remains" and then, through a series of back-pedals, "scents" verges on the reckless, surely. And if the site in question shows evidence of recent activity (body dug up and moved) -- when and how? Has either Powell been back in Utah since they embraced their new Cheaper By the Dozen lifestyle in WA? Are there Powell minions we don't yet know about who can be dispatched across states to rob graves and destroy evidence?

If this is Susan, no doubt all will be forgiven so far as this oddball day goes, and hopefully the Cox family will find some peace. If it isn't her I foresee some awkward times ahead for Sgt. Powell et al.

Slightly OT, I am reminded once again of how on this site threads containing developing news begin to take on extraordinary momentum until they are almost live things, especially when the thread is a mature one, and there is the sense that its followers have been holding their breath for months and can finally exhale.

I hope that some resolution lies round the corner.

s

Remember, there is ground penetrating radar that can detect voids, objects and disturbances in the soil. They have not said that they've used this, but I imagine they have, which is why they're spending their time excavating. They know it is there, just not how deep. Seven dogs is not a coincidence.

In fact, I'm almost certain the archaeologist who inspected the site used this technology. It is how she would know, other than surface irregularities, that there was a new disturbance. In her field, she would be trained to use it, as you have to be to understand what you're seeing.

I know it is tough to be patient, I went shopping after work and kept checking my phone for websleuth updates!

I don't know...maybe they are gonna sweat him, so they can get those kids out of there....get him to leave the house, possibly a situation where they can intercept those kids?

super weird

An anthropologist who examined the scene where human remains were found Wednesday in Utah's West Desert said the ground had been disturbed recently, according to Lt. Bill Merritt of the West Valley City Police Department.

"We may not even be looking at ten plus years. This may end up being something that's maybe seven or eight or ten years old, or it could be months old or it could [be] anywhere in between," Merritt said.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-s...for-susan-cox-powell-20110914,0,5405325.story

BBM

bbm

I thought of that, but then I think it may be the other way around. If there was snow on the ground like they said, then I think it would have been too hard to even dig a shallow grave. So I wonder if she was somewhere else, LE was getting too close, so she was moved...?

I just don't think josh would have been able to move her. I'm sure LE has a tracker on his vehicles or is otherwise watching him. And even if they aren't, he probably thinks they are. You think he'd risk being found driving around with the two years dead body of his wife? I'm not seeing it.

But then again, who knows, criminals are stupid. josh certainly is. And the mine searches were a ploy to get josh to do something like that.

It is certainly confusing. I wonder whether the idea is to keep the pressure on by letting events move extremely quickly, but to semi-officially announce a find of "human remains" and then follow-up with news of a find at a far earlier state verges on the reckless, surely. And if the site in question shows evidence of recent activity (body dug up and moved) -- when and how? Has either Powell been back in Utah since they embraced their new Cheaper By the Dozen lifestyle in WA? Are there Powell minions we don't yet know about who can be dispatched across states to rob graves and destroy evidence?

If this is Susan, no doubt all will be forgiven so far as this oddball day goes, and hopefully the Cox family will find some peace. If it isn't her I foresee some awkward times ahead for Sgt. Powell et al.

I an reminded once again of how on a site like this threads begin to take on extraordinary momentum until they are almost live things. I hope that some resolution lies round the corner.

s

I think it would be really hard to give directions to a third party to a hidden grave site. Some of these criminals can't even find the body they hid, after they confess and agree to show LE.

I don't know...maybe they are gonna sweat him, so they can get those kids out of there....get him to leave the house, possibly a situation where they can intercept those kids?

super weird

Ojala! (How I wish, in Spanish!).

http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=2848701

Listen to the actual interview, it's very telling. The body has been moved very recently from that location, if you read between the lines of his answers to the questions. The new dogs, the lack of bones, the way he answers (and interrupts his own answers as he is being careful not to reveal this info yet) etc. add up to this. MOO.

The way this could unfold I think is Abbot being able to say he witnessed JP and/or his vehicle at the original burial site, and there being enough DNA from the burial site remains to identify Susan (I hope anyway. Curious what people knowledgeable on that think.) That would be enough (along with all the other evidence in the case) to get a conviction, IMO. Or even perhaps a confession.

Listen to the actual interview, it's very telling. The body has been moved very recently from that location, if you read between the lines of his answers to the questions. The new dogs, the lack of bones, the way he answers (and interrupts his own answers as he is being careful not to reveal this info yet) etc. add up to this. MOO.

Excellent find! Thank you for sharing this link and for your opinion. I think you and I are of like mind right now! ;)

Excellent find! Thank you for sharing this link and for your opinion. I think you and I are of like mind right now! ;)

Yes I agree we are of like mind on this - great to have your input. :)

What's ironic is that JP is the one that led authorities to the burial site by trying to prevent the body from being found. His paranoia did him in.

Prayers tonight will be that DNA can be found in the remains.

Thank God for DNA.

At about the 7:35 mark in the press conference video he describes "recent". He had not been to the search site yet during the interview and was only going by what the anthropologist told him and speculating on what "recent" meant. I can see where you could think Josh was there on his camping trip but he was sketchy and carefully trying to word his interview. ah.

JP's kids are 6 and 4 (or at least in December they will be.) What do you parents think about the possibility they could help tell where they went on the August camping trip? If JP had told them to promise never to tell where they went, or daddy will be taken away, etc. would that be a barrier here?

I wondered if while WVCPD was in Puyallup if they put GPS locators on anything; they had jp standing in the back of the house and during that time something could be placed on his van. :)

I'm wondering too. Otherwise, why at that time would they need to do a thorough search of the van? I think it was an excuse.

I'm wondering too. Otherwise, why at that time would they need to do a thorough search of the van? I think it was an excuse.

Is that legal? That would seem to violate his rights and would blow the case if discovered. MOO.

Back a few pages - yes! JP was in UT Aug 26th. You all have come up w the most amazing scenarios on this! Hope the info helps. Wait a sec, when did SP give the speil on their affair? Gah! Was SP in WA on the 26th? For some reason I keep thinking divide and conquer.

This is my thinking of what is going on my theory:

The first search LE did in the mines that I think was done to make JP visit the actual grave site. My guess is profiler"s got more information the more JP and his dad spoke that a strategy was put together and put into motion and that first motion was to search the mines to unnerve JP which worked. If I recall LE stated that that search yielded something.

They wanted JP to actually take them to the body, if LE was close to the search area he would want to go out there and make sure the site is secure and nobody found it yet. However, LE was prepared for it. Either with GPS, aircraft or someone tailing him. JP lead them right to the area to search.

They start this new search, find an area where the dirt looks different, they have prods and in some cases a tiny camera at the end. My guess is the prod went in and bingo they realize it is a grave and there is remains in it. The dog alerts, they bring in another dog to alert.

All the red tape involved to get the excavation rolling needed more conformation. They got that now the digging starts.

Perhaps this area was an area that held great importance to JP and his rock hunting. (his favorite spot) maybe he had dug holes in previous visits so there fore he didn't have to dig much deeper he knew where he dug before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelikaBor