GUILTY NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah sat on her “with his genitals” as Mr Dickey said.

That revolting image speaks volumes about the defendant's skewed sense of entitlement, crude interleaving of sex and power, and contempt for women in general and for his partners specifically. It's in a direct line with stepping over Grace's dead body on his way back and forth from the bathroom, and then searching *advertiser censored* and dozing while she lies there. I don't think she had ceased to be a person to him -- I don't think she ever was.

Thanks all for posting these detailed updates. Don't see much in Brookie's closing to rebut the strong prosecution case.

bab76d32-914b-4eb0-9967-742d94d78af9_400.jpg

The evidence found in the accused's room matches what he told police, lawyer Ian Brookie said.
Grace Millane murder trial: Crown and defence sum up the case

The picture clearly shows that it wasn't just "a little bit of blood" as Brookie puts it, as the whole sole of the foot seemed to have been covered in blood.

smh Weak defence.

Someone here said Brookie is actually a very good lawyer. I think in this case he simply had nothing to work with. He is certainly an intelligent man and knows full well that his client is guilty of murder.

MOO.

Dickey reminds the jury of the witness' final comment in her evidence: "Someone who faked having cancer - just after trying to suffocate me and kill me - there is a word for that: a sociopath".

Grace Millane murder trial: Crown and defence sum up the case

I'm so pleased Dickey got this in his closing remarks. It's important. I don't think he would have, if the Crown wasn't similarly advised by professionals, imo.

Yeah I agree, Brookie just didn’t have much to work with, there’s just no good reason he can give that can explain the 7 pics of her corpse and the *advertiser censored* after her death if this was an accident and he was in a State of shock or panic. Ironically i would of been more inclined to believe a manslaughter verdict if he hadn’t give his closing speech. After the defence rested with their evidence I was thinking it could go either way, now I’m Absolutely convinced, beyond ALL doubt, never mind reasonable, that the accused should be found guilty of grace’s murder.

Last edited:
The defence argued today there is no proof of time of death and no evidence she was deceased in those photos. If we can't tell then it doesn't discredit what he said in the police interview about them taking photos of each other.
I think the "I didn't see her til morning thing" is just another - if not the biggest - flaw in his story. One that would be very hard to ignore.
Oh, I see.
We haven't seen the pictures so I guess it's hard to determine whether or not she was alive at the time. Hopefully the jury can decide.

Hard to believe he did all that googling and looking up *advertiser censored* while she lay dead on the floor and he didn't notice.
Sounds to me like he was sexually aroused and took the pictures so he could reenact and fantasize about the whole event.

Imo

Does anyone know how long it takes The judge to sum up after a trial? Roughly. I’m just thinking if it only takes an hour or so and then he sends the jury out there might be a verdict at the end of today? I doubt I’d wanna come back Monday if I was on the jury, it seems pretty obvious they’re minds would likely already be made up anyway? I can’t imagine they’ll need more than a few hours but you never know..

Morena from NZ all. Waiting to see what today will bring. I was initially quite concerned this case would have a similar outcome to the New Zealand Peter Plumley-Walker & Renee Chignell case appeal (interesting reading if you're not familiar), but I now have very little doubt that this will be a guilty verdict.

I absolutely cannot get this bit of his story to compute. She accidentally dies during sex, and he doesn’t notice, and he finishes having sex with her, leaves her lying dead on the floor, and goes to have a shower, and still doesn’t notice? How?

Agreed.

It reminds me of pistorius where he has to create a completely bizarre story to avoid seeing the victim.

It is a shame the Crown did not focus on her lack of interaction and dialogue. Frequently in these cases the victim is robbed of their voice.

Indeed it is a pet theory of mine that first time perps always make the noob script writer mistake of forgetting to write any convincing dialogue or actions for the victim.

Notice in his interview, Grace is effectively absent from the story once they get to his room.

Brookie told the jury they may come to the question of manslaughter for the accused, which Justice Moore will direct them on tomorrow.
But, he continued, if any of the jurors were unsure about the Crown's case then they must find the accused not guilty of murder.
"You know, I'm just not sure about this. I have doubts that I just can't dismiss," he said some of the jurors may think.
If a not guilty verdict for murder was returned, Brookie said, then the jury shouldn't feel as if they haven't delivered justice.
"You haven't failed to deliver on the expectations of those who have, long ago, made up their misinformed views about this case."

Grace Millane murder trial: 'It was an accidental death' - defence

Thanks Alyce.

8:45am - The jury will likely be released on Friday afternoon to begin considering the three weeks' worth of evidence presented before them. As Newshub reporter Alice Wilkins told The AM Show on Friday morning, the court normally sits to 5pm, but the jury may be allowed to deliberate later if they are close to a verdict.

"They could work through, and that sorta rests with them really. It is totally up the jury how long they take. This part of the trial is in their hands."

Grace Millane murder trial: Justice Simon Moore sums up trial before deliberations begin

Morena from NZ all. Waiting to see what today will bring. I was initially quite concerned this case would have a similar outcome to the New Zealand Peter Plumley-Walker & Renee Chignell case appeal (interesting reading if you're not familiar), but I now have very little doubt that this will be a guilty verdict.

Wow - now you are getting the old cases out of the closet!

That case titillated the nation

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raquel222