GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a Crimestoppers number they can call?

What they need is a pay-phone-or in reality-LE coming out and telling the public that they are guaranteed anonymity. And meaning it.

14 and 15 year olds are the major target age for drug dealers imo. That age is more afraid of parents than the dd's. Later on, embedded in the drug trade-they then become afraid of the dealers etc.

There have been a few times that both of the missing pages have posted about this. I'm sure they feel somebody knows something but is scared to tell. I agree, they need to really beat this into their heads even at school. If you have something to tell you can do this without ever giving your name. It is anonymous.

I have been trying to follow Abigail's case but this has been a hectic weekend. Has something come up in the investigation into her disappearance that suggests drug involvement or drug dealer involvement or is there speculating due to Abigail's age, etc. on this possibility?

I am trying to get caught up on what I have missed TIA to anyone who can let me know if there has been some new development or lead I am not aware of.

Just a whole lot of trying to come up with difference scenarios we haven't thought of yet.....nothing real has come up in the case. Thinking we are all frustrated with it feeling it is going cold, grasping for some things we haven't covered.

If a parent is a good parent-then they would try to be on top of their child's friends and friend's parents. And watch for behavioral changes.

I would only hope that the first person who ever called a cop on that child would be their own parent if warranted. Meaning the child was completely out of control etc. At that point the parent could ask for medical attention/intervention.

Editing to add that
I did that with my own DD. Went through a couple of thousand more sleepless nights of terror for her.
To this day, she is alive and well. She went missing for over a week at one point. I thought I was going to die.
During those few thousand nights I had to threaten her friends, track her down, track them down, plead, cajole, bribe-you name it. I became a good listener after 9 years. All I wanted to do was protect her. I didn't want to be her friend. I tried to hide my own foibles and weaknesses from her. I became a basket case and a babbling idiot many a day/night. But I never gave up nor ever will.

Bottom line is:
Parents-be your child's own personal cop. They go through a period where they hate your guts, but secretly they feel secure and protected by that and they can blame you for their having to go home etc. It is all part of their gaining independence yet feeling grounded by family.

I feel like this varies greatly depending on where you live, right down to the specific middle school. I found statistics that say 16% of teens have sex by age 15, and only 2% have sex by age 12.
Wonder what they are for 13 and 14?

I'm rural now, I was not rural before. Oddly, I find it to be worse out here! I cared for friends young teens and saw it at their middle school 1/2 hour away, too while dropping off and picking up. It was very shocking then because my none of my kids had hit those ages yet!

If a parent is a good parent-then they would try to be on top of their child's friends and friend's parents. And watch for behavioral changes.

I would only hope that the first person who ever called a cop on that child would be their own parent if warranted. Meaning the child was completely out of control etc. At that point the parent could ask for medical attention/intervention.

Trying to be a good parent and being one are two different things. I also think a good parent can miss something due to simply not knowing all the possibilities and what to look for. Unrelated or related, but a point that needs making: Cultural differences make it very difficult for a parent to keep up with todays world in a new culture. Heck those of us who grew up in this culture have a tough time keeping up with it!

Hmmm, curious on the second part what you mean. Do you mean a kid who has behavior changes, a kid who is getting into trouble, a kid who may know something? (totally confused where you're coming from/going with that...not your fault, my cluelessness)

Just a whole lot of trying to come up with difference scenarios we haven't thought of yet.....nothing real has come up in the case. Thinking we are all frustrated with it feeling it is going cold, grasping for some things we haven't covered.

oh thank you. I feel so behind on my cases :(

And yes, the lack of leads is getting to that frustration point where we are all ready to throw stuff at walls and hope something sticks.

Well, if you can't provide links, we of course can't argue with you, but I doubt very much that where you live people aren't arrested/fined/reported for DUIs, drug possession, domestic disturbances, barking dogs, trespassing, drunk and disorderly, etc. Maybe those things just aren't being reported publicly in your local newspaper or online, but they happen everywhere.

sure it happens everywhere. and reported, they aren't. but not like in north conway. my town is no 'better' but with 4x the population next to a very crime-ridden area, doesn't see that kind of misdemeanor/felony propensity out of juvenile-to-24-year-old's.

teens aren't angels, i'm far too aware of that. but the crimes advertised by LE in north conway is exponentially higher for that number of residents than is "normal". IMO.

so, my semi-educated guess is that the kids are staying quiet not for their own 'good' but for their own 'not-so-good'.

just a guess and JMO...

Well, still wishing they were doing more ground searches. I was looking at the coreen weise info and they did in fact keep those searches going for weeks and weeks. No, they didn't find her that way. But they were trying. They also had a psychic come in (who clearly they got at a county fair rather than a trusted LE sourceLOL) Maybe LE could learn from past mistakes and do more thorough searching. If they'd done serious ground searches along saco and down a few miles further than they thought they needed to, they may have found her before she washed up. Not sure on the psychic but maybe a more 'reputable' one? FBI works on leads. Local works on searches and other angles. They haven't given up, but the push is gone.

This happened to catch my eye from the blotter link provided above...
Wonder if LE was able to make contact with this vehicle or gather additional descriptive info from the caller?

Sunday, Sept. 22

1:25 a.m. A caller reported a suspicious vehicle, occupied by several subjects, driving up and down Seavey Street in North Conway.

sure it happens everywhere. and reported, they aren't. but not like in north conway. my town is no 'better' but with 4x the population next to a very crime-ridden area, doesn't see that kind of misdemeanor/felony propensity out of juvenile-to-24-year-old's.

teens aren't angels, i'm far too aware of that. but the crimes advertised by LE in north conway is exponentially higher for that number of residents than is "normal". IMO.

so, my semi-educated guess is that the kids are staying quiet not for their own 'good' but for their own 'not-so-good'.

just a guess and JMO...

Since you're specifying age ranges of people, you have to be looking at the circuit court logs, which have information on people arrested/fined in Conway plus several of the surrounding towns, as well as non-local people (some from out-of-state). You can't go by the population of North Conway alone, because the circuit court logs cover much more than just that one town's residents. As for Conway residents up to age 24, there aren't that many listed.

I'm not excusing anyone's bad behavior, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the logs linked, and I don't see any particular connection to what might have happened to Abby.

The number of residents of the Conway area is highly out-of-proportion to the number of people in the Conway area at any given moment, because hundreds of thousands of tourists visit Conway and the surrounding towns each year. Many of the fines/arrests involve local people, but many also involve people from other parts of the state or out-of-state. Not every town with a small population like Conway's has a large number of tourists to deal with/police/protect in addition to their own residents.

Trying to be a good parent and being one are two different things. I also think a good parent can miss something due to simply not knowing all the possibilities and what to look for. Unrelated or related, but a point that needs making: Cultural differences make it very difficult for a parent to keep up with todays world in a new culture. Heck those of us who grew up in this culture have a tough time keeping up with it!

Hmmm, curious on the second part what you mean. Do you mean a kid who has behavior changes, a kid who is getting into trouble, a kid who may know something? (totally confused where you're coming from/going with that...not your fault, my cluelessness)
My point is that a good parent will make it their duty to know all possibilities and what to look for. They must take it upon themselves to immerse themselves into a teen's way of thinking-the culture of the day, etc.
Behavioral changes start at 13-......be on the lookout. Peer pressure is supreme.

Sorry, but I don't get what you mean by cultural differences. Do you mean age differences? Or should we call it age cultural differences (which sounds sorta stupid to me lol)

By behavioral changes I mean those changes that a human teen goes through starting at about age 13.

Oh, Cultural, meaning not born/bred American. For instance: we have neighbors that are not originally from this country. They are great people, loving parents, we are very friendly so don't want anybody thinking there is any dislike for them. Their kids do things that aren't normally allowed around here. They don't think anything of it. Not necessarily bad nor good things, just very different. e.g. they are allowed to play with knives and such outside (knives is the nice word for hatchets and machetes and suchLOL They aren't chasing people with them, but it is very unnerving as I was a big ninny of a parent when my kids were that age and probably too overprotective worrying about injuries -- the things they allow them to do are beyond my imagination, yet they are all very well mannered and respectful of their parents.). Safety matters are very very different for them and it seems to be a cultural difference and what they grew up with overseas. Or a less crazy example is how they raise their dog. They did not understand anything about leash laws. The dog came home and they had it outside just as many do overseas and even here. But this puppy was running around the neighborhood and would come home for food and sleep. I had to explain to her 1) I almost hit the puppy and 2) somebody will call as there are laws about this and if they call the puppy will end up at the shelter, you'll get a bill for their stay and for the police dept pick up of the dog and transport to shelter. They were shocked!

No different than another example I can give being that I grew up allowed to have a small amount of wine at the holiday and Sunday meals. My father grew up that way from immigrant family. So when his elders were over at our house or we at theirs, that is the way it was.

I'm totally over explaining myself as I don't want people to think I'm being racist nor that I let my kids play with kids with hatchets in their hands!

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/index.php/newsx/courts-a-cops?start=5

Hopefully N Conway PD conducts FIO during these incidents

4:39 p.m. Police investigated a report of male teens in Whitaker Woods smoking, drinking and shouting profanities. An officer located a group of juveniles who he said were neither smoking nor drinking.

http://wikimapia.org/2151450/Whitaker-Woods-Recreation-Area

4:45 p.m. Kyle Vachon, 23, of Conway, was arrested on charges of sexual assault, indecent exposure and lewdness and false imprisonment.
http://www.conwaydailysun.com/index.php/newsx/courts-a-cops?start=5

2:30 p.m. Police investigated a possible sex offense.
5:16 p.m. Police investigated a report of an assault at Davis Park.

Thursday, Sept. 12
9:40 a.m. A juvenile was arrested at Kennett High on a simple assault charge.

4:41 p.m. Police investigated a report of a disturbance that occurred earlier on Eastman Road.

My point is that a good parent will make it their duty to know all possibilities and what to look for. They must take it upon themselves to immerse themselves into a teen's way of thinking-the culture of the day, etc.
Behavioral changes start at 13-......be on the lookout. Peer pressure is supreme.

I get that, thanks! On that note, my reference to culture was that a parent may not know nor know where to look to find all the ways into a teen who is being brought up in a different culture, does that make sense?

for instance you cannot look up a word in the dictionary if you don't have a clue what the first letter is. You cannot find today's date if you aren't sure what day of the week it is.

I get that, thanks! On that note, my reference to culture was that a parent may not know nor know where to look to find all the ways into a teen who is being brought up in a different culture, does that make sense?

for instance you cannot look up a word in the dictionary if you don't have a clue what the first letter is. You cannot find today's date if you aren't sure what day of the week it is.

I guess my idea of a cultural difference would be more on the lines of socio-economics-and the way people are living and have been raised.
My DD gravitated towards lower-income-class people who came from backgrounds rife with scant education, criminal backgrounds, welfare-dependent and broken families going back generations.

Not her social circle. Had nothing to do with ethnic background or race.

Editing to add that
I did that with my own DD. Went through a couple of thousand more sleepless nights of terror for her.
To this day, she is alive and well. She went missing for over a week at one point. I thought I was going to die.
During those few thousand nights I had to threaten her friends, track her down, track them down, plead, cajole, bribe-you name it. I became a good listener after 9 years. All I wanted to do was protect her. I didn't want to be her friend. I tried to hide my own foibles and weaknesses from her. I became a basket case and a babbling idiot many a day/night. But I never gave up nor ever will.

Bottom line is:
Parents-be your child's own personal cop. They go through a period where they hate your guts, but secretly they feel secure and protected by that and they can blame you for their having to go home etc. It is all part of their gaining independence yet feeling grounded by family.

:grouphug: Starry...

You really have some very good advice here...

JMO

Yes, Starry, yes yes yes. I mentioned earlier I was a runaway. My father went around town knocking on doors all hours of the night, cops were out looking, even called in as a stolen car to keep them moving faster after I'd run a few times already.

I guess my idea of a cultural difference would be more on the lines of socio-economics-and the way people are living and have been raised.
My DD gravitated towards lower-income-class people who came from backgrounds rife with scant education, criminal backgrounds, welfare-dependent and broken families going back generations.

Not her social circle. Had nothing to do with ethnic background or race.
Oh yes, I got that. I was just adding into your comment about parents doing all they can to immerse themselves. My statement was that sometimes all they know isn't enough in this world of ours here in America. Sort of same ideas we were talking of, just you are talking more locally/American, I was talking bigger more worldly picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nlgal68