NH NH/CA - Terry Peder Rasmussen, suspected SK, Allenstown, 1981-2000's - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firefighting crew.

I'm assuming he meant Volunteer Fire Fighters; we have them in rural or non-incorporated communities here in the south. You go and sign up they will put you through a course if you pass your in.

Calling them a crew ... IDK may be just a figure of speech ...

The people in Nordic countries tend to be Lutheran/Protestant. Very few are Catholic, especially in Denmark.

Feel the same way, West Coast up to the Rocky Mtn region. Have an aunt & uncle in Tacoma WA, uncle is originally from there and I do not hear the same dialectic in Evans but who knows ..

I'm assuming he meant Volunteer Fire Fighters; we have them in rural or non-incorporated communities here in the south. You go and sign up they will put you through a course if you pass your in.

Calling them a crew ... IDK may be just a figure of speech ...

I've lived in the South (various SE states) for 15 years and before that I grew up and went to college in the Midwest (various states) and I've NEVER heard it called a crew. My grandfather was a volunteer Firefighter in the Midwest and never called it a crew. (He might have called it a team or a squad possibly, but not "a crew"). Out of curiosity, I googled and the phrase "Firefighting crew" seemed to be used almost entirely in newspaper headings of stories from the Western US-- California, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico, etc.

Nice Write up Gardener ...

Phrases and words he uses and my thoughts:

"I had some things to attend to" (very formal phrasing, not the way a southerner would speak IME)

"Give me Leeway"

"Ducks lined up" (repeated exactly as "lined up" instead of saying "Ducks in a row" which is the phrasing I'm more familiar with)

"We've been through this road already" (Interesting phrasing instead of using "down this road" he says "Through this road")

"You're not my priest" (Indication of possible Catholic upbringing?)

"You're not my priest, you're not my doctor" (figure of speech used to basically say he doesn't have to tell them anything/it's none of their business?)

"I'm not going to cut you off" (When indicating he didn't want to interrupt the detective speaking? )

"I've always tried to live by the motto that "There's no defense against the truth"

"southern fire was roaring last month"

When talking about the fire he mentions: "rural area" and says "most people are signed up for the fire ______?" (Can anyone understand that exact word?)

Mention of "Journeyman Carpenter", "Unions", Professional Journeyman", "Works to code", and then talks about going to work for the Forest Service.
"It used to be driving through places like that if you had a pair of shoes and you were close to the fire you would get, what would you call it, you'd get volunteered. Park your car, mister, you're going to be a fire fighter"

(That's all I saw that was unique in his phrasing...The look on his face at about 3 minutes in when they confronted him about his aliases was a flash of sheer anger, IMO, though he tried to hide it and denied using those aliases.)

I've lived in the South (various SE states) for 15 years and before that I grew up and went to college in the Midwest (various states) and I've NEVER heard it called a crew. My grandfather was a volunteer Firefighter in the Midwest and never called it a crew. (He might have called it a team or a squad possibly, but not "a crew"). Out of curiosity, I googled and the phrase "Firefighting crew" seemed to be used almost entirely in newspaper headings of stories from the Western US-- California, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico, etc.

Understand have lived in the south in various states my entire life... each state tends to have their variation of terms and phrases.

Alleykins ... good observation in regards to the beverage that would be a "I gotcha" no doubt

Do you find it most interesting in regards to the volunteer fire fighter, he did enjoy parks .. makes sense he may have volunteered as he was traveling around the country. I'm looking for Wildfires in the late 1990's to 2002 periods

Typing fast hearing power surges... WELCOME to New Orleans TROPICAL Storm CINDY !!!!!!!

The firefighting crews he's referring to are fighting forest or range fires. I grew up in Montana and don't recall hearing them called anything but a crew. Usually a Forest Service crew, sometimes a BLM crew.

P.S. I'm working on a transcript...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Understand have lived in the south in various states my entire life... each state tends to have their variation of terms and phrases.

Alleykins ... good observation in regards to the beverage that would be a "I gotcha" no doubt

Do you find it most interesting in regards to the volunteer fire fighter, he did enjoy parks .. makes sense he may have volunteered as he was traveling around the country. I'm looking for Wildfires in the late 1990's to 2002 periods

Typing fast hearing power surges... WELCOME to New Orleans TROPICAL Storm CINDY !!!!!!!

Stay safe, folie!

Stay safe, folie!

TY for the kind thoughts ... We should be fine, rain was heavy early today now its just a normal rain fall, however wind gusts have really picked up quite a bit in the last hour. As long as the drains are clean and the pumps stay on we should be A-OKAY

I will say this we normally do not start with TS until August this is mid-June ... it is unusual but it was predicted to be an above average season

For some reason Indiana comes to mind. I have a few friends from there and some of his manner of speaking sounds familiar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, stay safe! We finally had another hot day here. Yep. One.
Doesn't the military call some of their groups, crews?

Does it creep anyone else out, seeing and hearing him in a video, knowing what he left in his wake?

For some reason Indiana comes to mind. I have a few friends from there and some of his manner of speaking sounds familiar.

Bingo. He talks like a 1970's vintage TV newscaster. David Brinkley or Walter Chronkite. It's a carefully cultivated voice that is learned, not natural. I'll bet his native voice and accent are very recognizable and he went to a lot of trouble to learn this unidentifiable "neutral" American accent.

I'm not quite understanding his reason for talking about firefighters, carpenters, etc.
Was he drunk, or trying to explain something in a very drawn out, roundabout way? He's kind of rambling.

I'm not quite understanding his reason for talking about firefighters, carpenters, etc.
Was he drunk, or trying to explain something in a very drawn out, roundabout way? He's kind of rambling.

Rambling ...

At first I thought there was no reaction to being told his alias was known. But then I looked again - he blinks frequently.

Calling firefighters, carpenters etc a 'crew' is very common in NY where I grew up. My Dad was a foreman, Union Iron Worker in NY and the men on the job site were always referred to as his crew. Dad spent 2 years in the Navy as a very young man, and the term 'crew' may have derived from that. But all the Ironworkers I ever met through my Dad called the men a 'crew' My Dad was born in 1932.
Honestly, Bob Evans interview sounds like a very carefully cultivated story by a man of exactly my Dad's age. Definitely a HS graduate, but no higher education.That is what gives him his smug attitude. He's smart but let's everyone know he does not need a Diploma to be smarter than you. He's a con man. It's a story told multiple times till it becomes a narrative. The fire crew story 'if you drove by you became a firefighter' something to impress younger people about how times have changed.
My guess he was born between 1932-36, he spent a lot of time in upstate NY, near the Canadian border. He served in the Navy during the Korean conflict but was not drafted. He rambled around the East Coast until he killed Denise and long enough for his accent to become was blurred. He worked possibly as a laborer on Union Job sites resenting all those around him because he believed his 'skills' were higher and he was smarter than those earning Union Wages.

googled 'ducks lined up' and got alot of Australian results! I'm one, so I can definitely say he ain't!

I could be wrong but I felt like he was saying he is better than union workers or maybe he was trying to say he survived a time when there were no unions to regulate pay and he made little money for hard work? IDK. It's interesting the way he phrases things in a third person type story but still makes it sound like it's all about him. The whole "if you drive up and you're wearing shoes" they make you a fireman sounded like bragging (IMO)-- It's as if he was trying to say that happened to him without telling the story in first person. But whether it happened or not, I can't tell. It felt like one of those "I came from the days when I walked to school 10 miles in the snow and it was uphill both ways" type of story. Embellishment to try to impress and paint a picture of something. I'm not sure of the point of that, however. I would like to see more of the context of the conversation just prior to that ramble.

A couple things about his voice. I'm picking up something very distinctive in his pronunciation of the word "different" in the beginning of the clip. There are a few other words as well, but overall I'm getting like a John Wayne speech pattern or something. Now I'm wondering if JohnWayne was another alias. (Tongue in cheek, but not necesssarily kidding. Anything is possible).

The firefighting crews he's referring to are fighting forest or range fires. I grew up in Montana and don't recall hearing them called anything but a crew. Usually a Forest Service crew, sometimes a BLM crew.

P.S. I'm working on a transcript...

Sent from my SM

Or a National Park Service (NPS) firefighting crew (such as the one of which I was a part) called to fight the 1988 (late summer and early fall) catastrophic fire in Yellowstone National Park engulfing parklands in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. I was not a trained firefighter, but federal personnel in many agencies, both near and far, were pressed into service, and I was one. Volunteer firefighters from communities all over the country also were part of those NPS firefighting crews. Anyone who had been trained in any branch of the U.S. military at any time was welcomed, no further questions asked. As I was typing this, it occurred to me that the word "crew" is frequently used in the U.S. Navy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member