NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt she would have hid anywhere close to the area where the car is. I think there is a good chance she either ran a ways away from the car or (like you said) got a ride from someone. Like I have said before I think one of the biggest reasons no trace of her has been found for fifteen years is that they got stuck searching for her in the area right around the crash.

I think it is entirely possible that her body has been found but it wasn't in the area and she didn't have any i.d. on her so she just ended up being a jane doe. The states in the New England area are pretty small. If say she left the state and died somehow it could be difficult to identify the body if she got rid of all her identification (which she may have done if she was trying to avoid the cops).

If her body has been found as a Jane Doe, wouldn't officials have cross referenced her DNA in the database for missing persons in obtaining a match? It's entirely possible but also unlikely as well. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't release the information if they did find a match to a Jane Doe is to protect the integrity of the case. Though, I could only imagine law enforcement would have released something by now. We may never know. I'm sure some pertinent information is being withheld - Strelzin said in one of the affidavits that this case may lead to criminal charges but we can't be entirely sure that's even true.

Maura had to have gotten away somehow or if she did enter the woods, it had to have been farther outside the search radius.

I am sure other posters know but it is coming up to another anniversary of Maura's disappearance. Maura's case is one of the most high profile out there and at the moment seems to be stuck as a permanent mystery which cannot be nice for her family. When I watched her Dad on the Disappeared program searching for her it upset me. Here is a link to a recent Podcast about the upcoming anniversary in the case. Episode number 95:

Human remains have been detected in a basement close to the crash site.

The house is across the street fron Butch Atwood's former home.

Fred Murray hired PI's and search dogs and in November and December that is when they got a hit on remains.

Dad wants N.H. authorities to dig for his daughter’s remains - The Boston Globe
With the 15-year anniversary of his daughter’s disappearance fast approaching, the father of Maura Murray believes her remains are buried in the basement of a Woodsville, N.H., home, close to where the UMass student crashed her car and vanished on the night of Feb. 9, 2004.
Father Believes Missing Daughter’s Remains Are Buried In Basement Of NH Home
On November 25th, and then again on December 1st, two different trained cadaver dogs responded to possible human remains in a basement just a stone’s throw from where Maura crashed her car in 2004.

Sorry folks but I believe this is just the same thing that that John Smith was going on about around a month ago. The police have already dismissed this I believe. I think it is just another A-Frame house type of scenario.

If her body was in any of the houses next to the crash site she would have been found a long, long, long time ago

Last edited:
I read that she was in a other car accident a week before she when missing. Could she had some type of Brain or head injuries that no one noticed?

Probably slim to none regarding the brain injury part but her having another recent wreck probably has a lot to do with why she chose to leave her car. She was likely under the influence and had her second wreck in a short period of time on top of that. She was going to be in big trouble if she stuck around for the cops to get her.

Probably slim to none regarding the brain injury part but her having another recent wreck probably has a lot to do with why she chose to leave her car. She was likely under the influence and had her second wreck in a short period of time on top of that. She was going to be in big trouble if she stuck around for the cops to get her.

Yes-I really, strongly believe that Maura ended up dying of exposure after taking off on foot from the accident she had. I’d like to think that her father will know what happened to her before he dies, but I’m not at all sure that he will. There seem to be lots of demons in that family. I guess we may soon see if she did end up in that basement. The former owners turned down a request to search that house...I wonder what that was all about? Do people regularly turn down LE requests to search their basements? Just curious to see if most people here would say no, if they knew that she couldn’t possibly be there.

Yes-I really, strongly believe that Maura ended up dying of exposure after taking off on foot from the accident she had. I’d like to think that her father will know what happened to her before he dies, but I’m not at all sure that he will. There seem to be lots of demons in that family. I guess we may soon see if she did end up in that basement. The former owners turned down a request to search that house...I wonder what that was all about? Do people regularly turn down LE requests to search their basements? Just curious to see if most people here would say no, if they knew that she couldn’t possibly be there.

No the police already has checked the property (with cadaver dogs as well) and found nothing of interest there. I think it was just Fred Murray that the former owners denied access to. If I was in that type of situation where a potential crime of a missing person happened next to where I lived and I had already fully cooperated with police but still had the parent bugging me about it I might act the same way as well. Even if you didn't have anything to do with it you still wouldn't like being questioned by people who had no qualifications to do any official questioning.

You can't really blame Fred because of all he has been through but at the same time I think has had a habit of going on wild goose chases and in making accusations when he had little to no evidence to support his claims. That's basically what the A-Frame house was and it seems that that is what this is as well.

And as far as him finding evidence you need to remember that he is the one paying all these investigators. So of course they probably want to give him a little bit of hope and not simply just take his money and run leaving him feeling even more hopeless than he was before.

Now of course I guess there is a chance there might be something there but I highly, highly doubt it.

I've always held the same belief. I used to drive that route often, and it's just so very secluded. There are some side roads and driveways that are plowed in winter, so if she turned off on one of those, there wouldn't necessarily have been prints leading from the road, and as some homes were seasonal, it's entirely possible nobody would have been there to see her. If she was walking in the dark, and saw a car approaching and wanted to avoid being seen, it's possible she went up a driveway, and had she decided to hide in the woods, there are many steep embankments as well as the river she could easily have fallen in the dark. I often saw coyotes on my early morning drives, so a body could well have been scattered and any footprints melted or covered by fresh snow before anyone came by to find them.

Unless there was someone following her and targeting her (possible), or one of the residents in the immediate area of the crash was a baddie (also possible; maybe the latest lead will pan out, but I'm thinking it's more clinging to hope than anything), it's unlikely she'd randomly meet someone just out cruising that road late at night looking for a victim. I remember days when I'd barely pass a car in several miles and I drove the full length of the road from Woodsville to North Woodstock. The Woodstock end was more heavily traveled, but once you got past the tourist stops, it wasn't a busy road compared to the surrounding areas. When I was Maura's age, if I'd been in the same situation, I'd have found it very hard to sit in my car and wait for help; I'd have felt like a sitting duck, and my instinct would have been to start walking. If Maura was afraid of getting in trouble, that instinct was probably ramped up. JMO, but knowing the area, there's just so many places where a person could get lost and injured.

What confuses me is that while LE says the house that Fred Murray is concentrating search efforts in was searched, and they say that cadaver dogs were around the house, but never in the house. Obviously, if she was dead and they were swift with the dogs ( not years later, IOW), her body would have been carried into the house and likely the cadaver dogs would have still signaled a hit in that spot. They didn't react to scent of decomposition.

Also, if she died or was killed somewhere close to where she crashed the car, why would she be buried inside that very property? Why not put back in the car and left as a victim of the crash, or in the woods as a victim of hypothermia? Or at least bury her body far away from the house where the person Mr. Murray has been upset with for years, he says, lived? ( House in question has new owners, or at least, new from the first searches).

Is he a conspiracy theorist, since he doesn't want Haverhill investigators involved at all because he believes they are involved somehow, or has one influenced him unduly about this one house? How and why?

When was the house initially searched? As in, how long after her disappearance?

Next, what is causing Mr. Murray to zero in on this one house? Specifically, that his cadaver dog searches and radar used in the basement show there's "something there" and he believes it's Maura's body.
He's wanting LE to dig up a basement floor 15 years after Maura disappeared. Why now? AND, it's not his call and it's not his house either.

There are some fairly interesting photos here:
Dad believes new info will lead to missing nursing student's remains 15 years after she vanished | Daily Mail Online

I absolutely agree with you.

Something wasn’t right with her before she disappeared, and the alcohol in the vehicle, and the situation itself, paints a grim picture.

She crashed, panicked, wandered into the woods, and died.

The odds of anything else happening, with all of those factors present, is beyond unlikely.

I have a theory about what wasn't right with her before she disappeared. Maura Murray was crashing and burning for some time before the actual car crash and her disappearance. I believe she did die very soon after the crash, likely due to hypothermia or another outdoor related accidental death.

Regarding WHY she may have left like she did:
Like all student nurses, Maura knew there is a code of ethics and conduct for both nursing students and registered nurses with licenses.

Students are and have always been monitored very carefully by their professors and clinical instructors, because the nursing programs are rated separately from the college's accreditation and standing. A pass rate on the licensing exam after graduation, called the NCLEX- RN of at least 90% is considered adequate, and the best schools have a consistent yearly average passing rate of around 98%.This rate is very important to the Dean Of Nurses for each college's nursing program as the programs for nurses are professionally rated by an outside national team which receives all of the NCLEX-RN scores for all accredited nursing schools annually and compiles the data independently. The data for each nursing program is either stated online or it's available from the professional group which does the rating ( sorry, but they recently changed names and I do not have the current name at hand).It's crucial for the nurse graduate and the nursing school to be known as producing top quality graduates, excellent nurses in practice, and for the nursing school to maintain an excellent standing with their annual national rating after the students take and pass or fail the NCLEX-RN exam. The term " passing rate" applies to the actual national exam, the NCLEX- RN, which is taken by graduate nurses in order to be licensed.. ( NCLEX stands for National Council Licensure Examination) and being qualified to sit for the exam, taking it, and passing is the only way for a graduate student to become an RN.

I believe, personally, from my long career as a registered nurse in a very competitive nursing program at a great SEC college, that Maura thought, or maybe already knew she had messed up to the point of expulsion from her nursing program. It hadn't already happened, as far as we know, but this girl, from all accounts, was way too messed up emotionally, and with alcohol abuse, ( as crashing 2 cars in a short period of time while impaired and the petty thefts she was starting to engage in through very foolish means easily detected ( not that there's a smart way), and the alcohol in her car are, when put together, signs of alcohol abuse) to continue her studies, clinical hands on care, to graduate and become a registered nurse at that time. She could have dropped out for personal reasons, and re-registered after she had dealt with her problems ( with a letter of explanation and extra references), but I've never read any indication that she wanted any changes in these problem areas of her young life.

Her personal problems would be a valid urgent reason to panic and perhaps leave, if being a nurse was her true calling and passion. I don't know if it was, but if not, she'd likely already reached that conclusion as well. I've never seen the issue of " wanting to be a nurse" addressed, just that she was in a nursing program.

Maybe her despair was as great as the percentage of students who were kicked out of my class year after year. I don't know. Some of the people who failed in my class were devastated, and some never found any other career. They only wanted to be nurses.

I don't think she had concrete plans about doing anything else with her life when she packed and took off, just wanted to escape from the pressure, and maybe to go drink to forget for a while, and maybe finish falling apart. And, maybe she did just that on her own terms, in her own way. It's so sad that she didn't get help from school counselors or student advisors, or an outside source of professional help.

. Respectfully, IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members