NJ - Costas 'Gus' Christofi, 55, shot to death, Alexandria Twp, 14 Feb 2002

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope the state retries on the charge of Reckless Manslaughter. I don't know how they got hung on that one. My opinion is that he is guilty of that one for sure.

So do you guys think they will retry on the Reckless Manslaughter charge?

Hope so - I am losing faith. I still can't believe this. :furious:

Good question Joanie. DA held a news conference afterwards, just saw part of it, he said the case is "still alive". CTV says the jurors were split 8 NG to 4 G on the manslaughter charge. Jurors think it was an accident, one juror told CTV.

LP Moderator said:
What a freaking joke! :mad:

No not a joke. It just goes to show you how a DA can screw up.I tried to catch as much as I could on TV at lunch. And I saw alot of places where the DA case had holes in it.
I think the joke was Benjamin he was out to get Willaims from the get go. And the funny part was a few of the DA witnesses they gave bargains to actually help the defense. Like the three that could not agree if Jaysin said anything to Gus before Gus was shot.
Now that we have seen this. I hope the DA in the Petersons case will not blow it. And in MHO they won't.
And remember Williams was tried in court and judge by a jury of his peers. :angel:

Justice is for sale in the USA. I will never believe a person who owns guns doesn't know what can happen when you point a loaded rifle at someone. This was no accident, he was showing off and being a bad *advertiser censored*. A man is dead......the rich guy got off.

Billy Martin did a good job for his client. I wonder if his fees will increase. I did like his style even if I disagree with the results.

I am literally sick to my stomach! I cannot believe that he is basically walking on this murder. What is our justice system coming to???

I was so disgusted when I watched the verdict today. :furious: I can NOT understand how in the world the jury came to this verdict. The man is so obviously guilty of being reckless with that gun! I wonder how that jury will be able to live with themselves.....Gus sure didn't get justice.

I'm betting that they will retry him on the count that the jury was hung on. I sure hope so anyway. Not that it will do any good. I agree that the more money you have, the more you can get away with in this country. :furious:

joanie10 said:
I hope the state retries on the charge of Reckless Manslaughter. I don't know how they got hung on that one. My opinion is that he is guilty of that one for sure.

So do you guys think they will retry on the Reckless Manslaughter charge?

I'll be really surprised if there is another trial. The vote was 8 innocent and 4 guilty on the charge. From what was said on CTV the county spent a lot of money on this trial, it is a small county and probably won't want to spend the money on another trial especially with the 8-4 vote. I've always believed that it was an accident but was really surprised that he wasn't found guilty of being reckless because he was reckless. With all of those guys in that room any one of them could have gotten shot. It seems that Gaffney and Morris are the only men that the jury wanted to hear again. I thought they were believable and level headed. They all said they discounted Benoit Benjamin right from the beginning. I would agree with that. He was so angry at Jayson W. and it was so obvious. The Pros didn't help their case by holding back evidence until after the Defense rested. If I were on a jury I would really be suspious about that. I think that the jury might have come to different conclusions if they knew JW's history with guns. Not only what he did to his dog which just creeps me out but that he left a practice at one time...walked out to the parking lot and got his gun from his car and shot it right over the head of one of his team members! What the heck! I hope that he isn't allowed to have guns anymore along with whatever else sentence he is given. Scary for someone like that to still be allowed to have guns isn't it?

Not meaning to be contrary to everyone else, but I was never convinced that Gus wasn't shot on purpose in some kind of macho rage. I guess money talks

After his former Nets teamate came forward with his official take on the dog shooting incident... Now I DO wonder if JW shot Gus purposely. Apparently he gets nuts when he drinks too much.

Bobbisbargains said:
They all said they discounted Benoit Benjamin right from the beginning. I would agree with that. He was so angry at Jayson W. and it was so obvious.
Can anyone tell me why Benoit Benjamin was angry at Jayson Williams? Did their problem go beyond this case? I missed this during the trial. Thanks.

I think it just had to do with plain old jealousy! I'm not aware of any other reason, anyway. Does anyone else know?

Newswolf said:
DA is going for retrial on the reckless manslaughter charge.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Snorky don't celebrate too much yet! LOL He is NOT sentenced yet on the charges he was convicted on, and the trial date is now Jan 10 next year so he's free for the 6 plus months. The DA wants to try to introduce prior bad acts at the retrial (shooting his own dog grrr).
(per CTV)

mommyd said:
I think it just had to do with plain old jealousy! I'm not aware of any other reason, anyway. Does anyone else know?

I heard that he had asked Jayson for a job and was turned down and so he was really angry. Boy, his body language spoke louder than his words. You could see anger written all over him.

Boy, his body language spoke louder than his words. You could see anger written all over him.

You can say that again! I really don't think he did the prosecution any good at all and even hurt the case. I bet they don't use him again this next time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back