NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The state contends that the main reason for the fire at the pc home was to make it look like the two families were targeted. They do not believe that there was any intention by pc to murder his family, and that he set the fire at his own home as a Russe to destroy evidence and to give the appearance of being targeted.

I am not the least bit surprised by this outcome.

I said on day one he started both fires to make it look like both families were being targeted by the same suspect. That was so obvious imo.

Often people will commit heinous murders in order to protect a secret from being exposed.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had been embezzling from the businesses for quite sometime.

Since he took documents from his brother's home when he murdered them all imo there is evidence Keith had in his possession showing criminal activity by Paul.

If he wasnt even working much he sure couldn't legally afford his extravagant lifestyle so he took what he didnt deserve to have.

Another horrifying case of financial greed where he was willing to murder them all even innocent children.

It shows what a diabolical piece of crap he truly is. Cold to the bone.

Jmo

Gramiccioni said Paul Caneiro apparently set fire to his own residence both as an attempt to destroy evidence he had brought back from Colts Neck, and as "a ruse" to make it appear the whole Caneiro family had been targeted.

His attorney, Robert Honecker Jr., has maintained his client's innocence and said Paul Caneiro loved his family. Honecker did not return a phone call seeking comment following the press conference
Colts Neck murders: Man killed his brother's family over business dispute, prosecutor says

I am curious as to what kind of evidence Paul took from Colts Neck. Was it some kind of paperwork from the business or evidence that Paul had set the fire?

More info on the business

Gramiccioni declined to elaborate as to why investigators believe Paul Caneiro carried out the slayings, but said the motive may be related to businesses the brothers operated in Asbury Park.

A techology business ran by the brothers, Square One, had been struggling financially to stay afloat, according to a law enforcement source.

Furthermore, a former Columbia University classmate of Keith Caneiro told NJ Advance Media that Caneiro was actively seeking to walk away from Square One. The classmate, who did not want to be named, said Caneiro had recently sent him his resume and indicated he was willing to relocate to California for a new opportunity.

Colts Neck murders: Man killed his brother's family over business dispute, prosecutor says

On Thursday, his attorneys, Robert A. Honecker Jr. and Michell J. Ansell, issued a statement that said, in part, Caneiro "had absolutely nothing to do with these horrific crimes."

"Paul's family means more to him than anything else in the world," the statement continued. "Paul's brother Keith and his family similarly were everything to Paul. He worked with his brother Keith for 31 years and he loved his sister-in-law as if she was his sister. Paul Caneiro always participated in the lives of Jess and Sophia from watching them at their various events at school and spending time with them frequently. Paul Caneiro just couldn't say no to his family.

There is absolutely no reason in the world for Paul Caneiro to have committed the crimes he is alleged to have comitted," it continued.

His brother was shot multiple times
His sister in law was shot and stabbed to death
His niece and nephew were stabbed to death

This PC was very difficult to to listen to, unbelievable! No one can comprehend the killing of innocent children. Especially when they are family.

Here is the youtube link if you want to try and view again

Is it at all possible to see this entire press conference without it cutting in and out?

More info on the business

Gramiccioni declined to elaborate as to why investigators believe Paul Caneiro carried out the slayings, but said the motive may be related to businesses the brothers operated in Asbury Park.

A techology business ran by the brothers, Square One, had been struggling financially to stay afloat, according to a law enforcement source.

Furthermore, a former Columbia University classmate of Keith Caneiro told NJ Advance Media that Caneiro was actively seeking to walk away from Square One. The classmate, who did not want to be named, said Caneiro had recently sent him his resume and indicated he was willing to relocate to California for a new opportunity.

On Thursday, his attorneys, Robert A. Honecker Jr. and Michell J. Ansell, issued a statement that said, in part, Caneiro "had absolutely nothing to do with these horrific crimes."

"Paul's family means more to him than anything else in the world," the statement continued. "Paul's brother Keith and his family similarly were everything to Paul. He worked with his brother Keith for 31 years and he loved his sister-in-law as if she was his sister. Paul Caneiro always participated in the lives of Jess and Sophia from watching them at their various events at school and spending time with them frequently. Paul Caneiro just couldn't say no to his family.

There is absolutely no reason in the world for Paul Caneiro to have committed the crimes he is alleged to have comitted," it continued.

True, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t commit the crimes.

I think it's a strong possibility that things went south after Paul's car accident. We don't have any evidence, yet, of pain killers playing a role, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's not that uncommon.

There was mention in an article upthread that Paul changed after the accident. Pain killers could do that. Head injury as well.

speculation only

jmo

My cousin had severe head injuries in an accident, his demeanor completely changed.

Maybe, just a big Maybe, it was Keith who had taken all the money out of the company. He had the larger home with the paid-off mortgage. He was the one thinking of walking away to a job in California. Paul found out, and flipped out, killed them all thinking he would inherit what he felt Keith had unfairly taken? Just a possibility.

Lt Kendra on motive for murder: Money, Love or Revenge.

Maybe, just a big Maybe, it was Keith who had taken all the money out of the company. He had the larger home with the paid-off mortgage. He was the one thinking of walking away to a job in California. Paul found out, and flipped out, killed them all thinking he would inherit what he felt Keith had unfairly taken? Just a possibility.

Lt Kendra on motive for murder: Money, Love or Revenge.

It was Keith’s company though, right? Even if he did take all of the money out of the company, if it was his company then it is what it is. He seemed to work very hard to get where he was in life. Unlike Paul who seems like he rode Keith’s coat tails.

It wouldn't surprise me if PC was abusing perscription drugs, starting from his injuries from a previous car accident.

Yep, when read about the accident, I thought the same -- and a thread to pull for a potential defense. Not just abusing prescriptions but that the medication(s) altered his behavior, thinking.

I realize we are all looking for reasons why a seemingly nice family man could do something so heinous. As far as I’m concerned, injuries, pain killers and a lost business opportunity have absolutely NO bearing on stabbing two innocent children, shooting and stabbing their mother, shooting their father (your brother) multiple times and setting their house and bodies on fire. Even if KC was a total jerk, it is indefensible, inexcusable, and PC clearly knew it was wrong. He endangered his own family trying to cover it up.

This guy has a history of living big and trying to be a big fish in his small pond. Lots of people experience the setbacks he has and don’t commit murder.

Of course, we all know that the defense attorneys will try to smear KC and invite the press to a pity party in order to get PC off. That’s a given and it will be ugly to watch.

All this by way of saying that I expect there will be a LOT of pushback on this thread if the excuses and victim-blaming start. Been there, saw that on the Watts thread and it’s ugly. There’s nothing to understand except that this was cold-blooded family annihilation. Period.
IMO, JMO, MOO etc

Last edited:
I realize we are all looking for reasons why a seemingly nice family man could do something so heinous. As far as I’m concerned, injuries, pain killers and a lost business opportunity have absolutely NO bearing on stabbing two innocent children, shooting and stabbing their mother, shooting their father (your brother) multiple times and setting their house and bodies on fire. Even if KC was a total jerk, it is indefensible, inexcusable, and PC clearly knew it was wrong. He endangered his own family trying to cover it up.

This guy has a history of living big and trying to be a big fish in his small pond. Lots of people experience the setbacks he has and don’t commit murder.

All this by way of saying that there will be a LOT of pushback on this thread if the excuses and victim-blaming start, under the guise of trying to understand why it happened. There’s nothing to understand except that this was cold-blooded family annihilation. Period.
JMO MOO etc
Of course. I agree 100%. Any problems Paul might have had are no excuse. That is without question.

However, aren't you interested in WHY he committed the crime? I sure am. Knowing what caused it doesn't mean the crime is excused or in anyway acceptable.

How is it victim-blaming to want to know the truth? I haven't seen any victim blaming so far and would be disappointed if that started.

But I don't see the need to silence delving into why this happened.

jmo

Of course. I agree 100%. Any problems Paul might have had are no excuse. That is without question.

However, aren't you interested in WHY he committed the crime? I sure am. Knowing what caused it doesn't mean the crime is excused or in anyway acceptable.

How is it victim-blaming to want to know the truth? I haven't seen any victim blaming so far and would be disappointed if that started.

But I don't see the need to silence delving into why this happened.

jmo

I’m not trying to silence anyone. Read carefully. It’s starting. But remember that LE is not required to show motive in order to get a conviction. I honestly don’t think it’s possible for any of us to get inside the mind of a cold-blooded killer and “understand” why he decided the lives of beloved family were expendable. As Sandy pointed out upthread, Detective Kenda lists three motives: Money, Love or Revenge. Or all of them. Or the person is insane. What difference does it make when people are dead? It doesn’t prevent the next murder.

Having watched Shann’an Watts get sweetly skewered in the interest of “understanding” why CW murdered her along with their daughters, I’m a tad bit sensitive on this subject. This is my opinion. Feel free to disagree. It’s OK. :)

They got the guy. I'm sure he'll be convicted.

I'm extremely interested in motive but not even remotely interested in defending that interest on a crime discussion board. Tedious to have to explain why motive is interesting.

Ciao.

They got the guy. I'm sure he'll be convicted.

I'm extremely interested in motive but not even remotely interested in defending that interest on a crime discussion board. Tedious to have to explain why motive is interesting.

Ciao.

Hey, I’ll back off. I may have gone too far in explaining why I feel so strongly. You don’t have to defend being interested in motive. Most of us are, in general. In some cases (like the Watts case) it can be a slippery slope. I will now wait and see where the thread heads before opining again. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back