Found Deceased NJ - Nicholas Pratico, 18, West Windsor, 19 Sept 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is horrible. I still think he may have been lured somewhere by a “casting agent” with nefarious intentions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pratico's Mercer County Community College identification card was found near the college by a searcher on Sept. 22 - two days after he went missing - but the lead did not pan out. A volunteer searcher found the ID card on a campus lawn near the Edinburg Road entrance. An officer retrieved it, handling it on the edges only, and it was brought to Hamilton police headquarters, where an "experienced" evidence technician examined it and found no fingerprints - including Pratico's. The security pictures of Pratico were from the booth where he received the ID, and it's unlikely he'd even handled that much and its discovery was deemed not useful to the investigation.

praticoID.jpg

Pratico was last seen at freshman orientation at the school in West Windsor.

Come Home Nick Pratico- friends posted a nearly 12-minute video to YouTube filled with messages of thoughts and prayer they hope he will see, and lead to his return.
[video=youtube;DXKFLePBnBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXKFLePBnBI[/video]

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2017/10/missing_2_weeks_loved_ones_holding_out_hope_for_mi .html

Pratico's Mercer County Community College identification card was found near the college by a searcher on Sept. 22 - two days after he went missing - but the lead did not pan out. A volunteer searcher found the ID card on a campus lawn near the Edinburg Road entrance. An officer retrieved it, handling it on the edges only, and it was brought to Hamilton police headquarters, where an "experienced" evidence technician examined it and found no fingerprints - including Pratico's. The security pictures of Pratico were from the booth where he received the ID, and it's unlikely he'd even handled that much and its discovery was deemed not useful to the investigation.

praticoID.jpg

Pratico was last seen at freshman orientation at the school in West Windsor.

Come Home Nick Pratico- friends posted a nearly 12-minute video to YouTube filled with messages of thoughts and prayer they hope he will see, and lead to his return.
[video=youtube;DXKFLePBnBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXKFLePBnBI[/video]

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2017/10/missing_2_weeks_loved_ones_holding_out_hope_for_mi .html

My blood ran cold when I saw the part about the ID. Did Nick ditch it himself? Did someone else get a hold of his possessions and throw it out? It almost feels staged. I am not sure what to think. I prefer to believe Nick made this decision on his own, but from what everyone has said, it seems out of character. The messages on the video suggest his loved ones think Nick left on his own steam.

Speculation only: he was not excited about going to community college and wanted to be somewhere else instead.

Speculation only: he was not excited about going to community college and wanted to be somewhere else instead.

I hope that’s the case, but it’s been almost three weeks, and he hasn’t contacted anyone. [emoji20]

Has there been any debit card or credit card usage?

I don't know if any of that has been publicized. There's not a lot of information out there. It's been a long time now. [emoji853]

Did he register for the classes or did he decide that is not what he wanted to do and tossed the ID on the ground. Is he involved with someone romantically that the family disapproved of and decided to move away with her/him and live his own life? I can almost picture him calling someone to come pick him up and tossing his ID out of the window, hopefully this is it and he is alive and well.

How did he get to the campus? I read that he wasn't driving his car that day. Did he catch a ride or what?

I know the ID isn't helpful in terms of fingerprints, but it's very significant as a clue.

I just can't see someone snatching him in that area with so many people and students all around.The message his family sent to him "And we want to know that you are fighting, if you need to be." 'This statement makes me think he may have a mental disorder.I just don't think they would have wanted to make that public if that's the case.The police would be aware I'm sure.I am also thinking maybe he ditched the card,that is one card you need to hang on to if in school.It looks like it would have went straight in his wallet.This is JMO

some background info from a friend:

“He always wanted to make it big in acting and stuff like that. We had the same passion for theater, so us sharing the stage together gave us that bond together.”

“He would tell his parents ‘This is what I what to do.’ His family fully supported him going into acting but they also support the idea of reality because the chances of becoming an actor anywhere -- there’s a 95 percent chance of failure. So they wanted him to get some education at home before going out to make it big with acting.”

With his parents' advice in mind, Pratico enrolled in Mercer County Community College for the fall of 2017. His heart was still set on acting, though, and he’d even recently gotten accepted to a theater college in New York City. “Him getting accepted to the college in New York was a really big deal -- he got really excited about that, I supported him with those dreams.”

"A couple of weeks ago, I got a text from our friend who went to high school with us, and he texted saying he thought that Nick was acting “off” because he hadn’t heard from him. I basically told him not to worry about it, Nick’s phone probably died or he was busy. I said I’d reach out to Nick the next day to see if I got a response. But the next day, he was missing.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/mis...ch-out-someone-family-missing-college-n809086

Any lakes,ponds (water) close by?
Yes. MCCC is adjacent to Mercer County Park (which is somewhat infamous in the true crime world as the park where Megan Kanka of Megan's Law was dumped). Mercer County Park is a very large park surrounding a big lake, Mercer Lake, where they hold regattas and the NJ triathalon, among other things.

Any lakes,ponds (water) close by?

some background info from a friend:

“He always wanted to make it big in acting and stuff like that. We had the same passion for theater, so us sharing the stage together gave us that bond together.”

“He would tell his parents ‘This is what I what to do.’ His family fully supported him going into acting but they also support the idea of reality because the chances of becoming an actor anywhere -- there’s a 95 percent chance of failure. So they wanted him to get some education at home before going out to make it big with acting.”

With his parents' advice in mind, Pratico enrolled in Mercer County Community College for the fall of 2017. His heart was still set on acting, though, and he’d even recently gotten accepted to a theater college in New York City. “Him getting accepted to the college in New York was a really big deal -- he got really excited about that, I supported him with those dreams.”

"A couple of weeks ago, I got a text from our friend who went to high school with us, and he texted saying he thought that Nick was acting “off” because he hadn’t heard from him. I basically told him not to worry about it, Nick’s phone probably died or he was busy. I said I’d reach out to Nick the next day to see if I got a response. But the next day, he was missing.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/mis...ch-out-someone-family-missing-college-n809086

Yes. MCCC is adjacent to Mercer County Park (which is somewhat infamous in the true crime world as the park where Megan Kanka of Megan's Law was dumped). Mercer County Park is a very large park surrounding a big lake, Mercer Lake, where they hold regattas and the NJ triathalon, among other things.

I have been very worried about Nick. Happy to see the NBC report and very much appreciate his friend's honest, insightful comments, especially the following:

"A couple of weeks ago, I got a text from our friend Dan, who went to high school with us, and he texted saying he thought that Nick was acting 'off' because he hadn’t heard from him,' Pierson told Dateline. 'I basically told him not to worry about it, Nick’s phone probably died or he was busy. I said I’d reach out to Nick the next day to see if I got a response. But the next day, he was missing.'"

Also from the article:
"According to a post on the Find Nick Pratico Facebook page, family and friends have been 'searching in a smaller group around the Mercer County and Hamilton areas.' Authorities said a volunteer searcher found the ID card on a campus lawn. The ID was brought to police headquarters and examined, but no fingerprints were found. That wasn’t unexpected, they said, since he’d only received the ID that day at freshman orientation.

Sgt. Brian Schroeder of the Hamilton Police Division tells Dateline the 'Mercer County Sheriff’s Office K-9 unit, in conjunction with the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office helped us with a search of the grounds at the Mercer County Community College early in the investigation. He adds that 'the Mercer County Community College security staff have also been very helpful and conducted multiple sweeps of their facilities.'

[...]

Sgt. Schroeder also told Dateline that 'the New Jersey State Police Cyber Unit and their Missing Person’s Unit have worked with us tirelessly to locate a digital trail. That has also been unsuccessful thus far, but they are continuing to assist.'" (BBM)

Additional information on the discovery of Nick's college ID from a nj.com article published two days ago:
"One tidbit the police confirmed was that Pratico's Mercer County Community College identification card was found near the college by a searcher on Sept. 22 - two days after he went missing - but the lead did not pan out.

[...]

A volunteer searcher found the ID card on a campus lawn near the Edinburg Road entrance, Hamilton police Sgt. Brian Schroeder." (BBM)
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2017/10/missing_2_weeks_loved_ones_holding_out_hope_for_mi.html

While the NBC report states volunteers have been searching "around the Mercer County and Hamilton areas," I wonder if they have looked at all in Mercer County Park or Mercer Lake.

According to Google Maps, the distance between the Edinburgh Road entrance and the Boathouse at Mercer Lake is only 1.7 road miles: https://goo.gl/maps/XDJQEGvDTaU2

Also located just 2 miles southeast of MCCC campus is Miry Run, a tributary of the Delaware River called Assunpink Creek, which actually flows into Mercer Lake upstream: https://goo.gl/maps/ogA1vZbvBgT2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assunpink_Creek

While hoping for a positive outcome, it worries me that he apparently stopped communicating with friends prior to his disappearance ....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avatour360
Back