Deceased/Not Found NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 #3 *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MTV Promises to Reveal "Twist" in Investigation of Sarah Stern's Death

"MTV is revisiting the disappearance of Sarah Stern — the Neptune High School graduate authorities say was choked to death by a high school friend, and whose body was never found.

MTV, in promoting its upcoming “True Life Crime” series, set to begin in January on MYC and VH1, asks if the death was a "suicide or sinister scheme" — though authorities have long since made their determination in the case."

MTV promises to reveal 'twist' in investigation of Sarah Stern's death

"According to the New York Times, at the time of her death, McAtasney listed Stern under the “family” section of his friends on Facebook.

Judge Richard English said, “This is really a heinous event since this involved two people who knew each other since grammar school.

Assistant Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said, “He has no remorse. His tears today are fake and if nothing else, insulting… Maybe he’s scared, maybe he’s sorry he got caught, but there’s no remorse.”

Liam McAtasney was sentenced to life in prison without parole. An inmate locator search reveals that McAtasney is currently serving time in New Jersey State Prison."

Liam McAtasney: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

So what was the Twist that MTV promised? I watched it and didn't learn anything new. I didn't see any "Twist"

There was no new information revealed.
The premise of the new series investigates social media mysteries ..where haunting questions remain?
When Niev introduces the episode he says
Sarah’s exclassmate goes under cover to reveal the truth and discovers a twist no one could have expected- meaning that Liam had an accomplice in Preston.
It was nice to hear some of her friends and family talk about her but nothing new at all was revealed. Only haunting question that remains is how could someone be so evil?

There was no new information revealed.
The premise of the new series investigates social media mysteries ..where haunting questions remain?
When Niev introduces the episode he says
Sarah’s exclassmate goes under cover to reveal the truth and discovers a twist no one could have expected- meaning that Liam had an accomplice in Preston.
It was nice to hear some of her friends and family talk about her but nothing new at all was revealed. Only haunting question that remains is how could someone be so evil?

MTV's promo tagline says they'd "reveal a twist". We already knew all the information they showed. They didn't "reveal" anything

Missing Neptune, NJ Teen The Focus Of 'Shark River Mystery' TV Special

Back in January, I shared my concern, sadness, and disgust for what happened to Sarah Stern and the circumstances surrounded her disappearance. This Sunday night we'll learn more about "The Shark River Mystery" as HLN's documentary airs nationwide.

Lies, Crimes, & Video on HLN (aka CNN Headline News) will explore what happened to Sarah Stern from Neptune Township in a new documentary this Sunday night (March 7th, 2021) at 10 pm.

While this mystery has been profiled on Dateline NBC, HLN will share another angle, "terrifying 911 calls, police interrogations jailhouse recordings, body camera and surveillance video captured as part of a criminal investigation.

Episodes feature riveting stories that incorporate video evidence in criminal cases and shocking courtroom testimony. The lies, deceit and bad behavior are all caught on camera and presented in this candid true crime docu-series

Never Before Seen Footage: Missing Neptune Teen The Focus Of 'Shark River Mystery' TV Special

"In December 2016, artist Sarah Stern, 19, went missing and her car was found abandoned on a bridge in Belmar, NJ.

In the aftermath of her disappearance, Curry remembered his high school friend Liam McAtasney, who was close with Stern, pitching an idea for a movie in which he killed a girl. He came to the shocking realization that this wasn’t a tale that simply lived in his friend’s imagination — and he went to the police, who helped him set up a sting. Curry filmed McAtasney’s chilling confession — leading to his conviction and a life sentence."

2/3/2023

In a ruling Friday in the Sarah Stern murder case, an appellate court upheld the conviction and life prison sentence of Liam McAtasney, the Neptune City man who unwittingly admitted on a secretly taped video that he strangled his childhood friend and threw her body off a bridge in a robbery that netted $10,000.

In perhaps the most highly publicized murder case in Monmouth County in recent times, a three-judge panel with the Appellate Division of Superior Court rejected McAtasney’s arguments for a new trial, among them that the jury should have been precluded from watching his chilling videotaped confession.

Judges Heidi Willis Currier, Jessica R. Mayer and Avis Bishop-Thompson, in a 63-page opinion, let stand McAtasney’s 2019 convictions for murder, felony murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, desecration of human remains, tampering with evidence and hindering apprehension.

The convictions, secured by assistant Monmouth County prosecutors Christopher Decker and Meghan Doyle, resulted from a jury trial that spotlighted a startling plot by Stern’s former high school classmates to kill her for her money, dispose of her body and stage her car on the Route 35 bridge between Belmar and Neptune to make it look like she committed suicide.

"Of course, I'm kind of elated that it's over, after waiting three years,'' said Michael Stern, the victim's father, upon learning of the appellate court ruling. "It's been hanging over me. It's always been there in the back of my mind for the past three years.

"He should have gotten the death penalty, as far as I'm concerned,'' Michael Stern said of his daughter's killer. "He took my daughter for no reason. His rationale and reasons were evil.''
McAtasney, now 25, is serving life in prison without the possibility of release on parole, the most severe punishment in New Jersey since the state abolished the death penalty in 2007.

His former roommate and accomplice, Preston Taylor, also 25, is serving an 18-year prison term after admitting he took part in the conspiracy to rob Stern - his date for the Neptune High School junior prom and helped to throw her body off the bridge.

Sarah Stern's killer Liam McAtasney's conviction upheld by appellate court

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michelemelton03