NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did again, posted above. No more posting tonight. Question - were the employees of Brennan's cross examined by Diaz-Cobo?
It doesn’t appear that they were.

But they probably will be, IMO, on Tuesday (Asbury Park Press previously reported the trial would be held Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and is expected to take four to six weeks).

“Sarah Stern murder: Victim told friend she was moving to Canada with accused killer”
KATHLEEN HOPKINS | ASBURY PARK PRESS | 8 minutes ago

“FREEHOLD - Sarah Stern told a lifelong friend

on the day she went missing that she was going

to move to Canada with Liam McAtasney, the
childhood friend now on trial for her murder,
according to testimony on Thursday.

But Stern on past occasions said she was going to move to different places, Florida, Canada or California, and never did, Carly Draper told the jury weighing McAtasney's fate.

So, Draper said she didn't believe Stern this time.

[SBM]

Stern came to Draper's house on Ridge Terrace in Neptune City with McAtasney during the day on Dec. 2, 2016 to drop off a cardboard box and a bin of items she was cleaning out of her own house, Draper said.

‘She told me she was moving to Liam's apartment in Canada,'’ Draper said.

‘Who actually said that?’ asked Christopher Decker, an assistant Monmouth County prosecutor.

‘Sarah,’ the witness replied.

Stern that day told Draper about money she found in a second house that her family owned.

‘She said that she found $20,000 in a safe in a house that they had in Avon,’ Draper testified.

Stern also shared her thoughts about her father that day, the childhood friend said.

‘She said, 'I lost all respect for my father,’ Draper said, adding that McAtasney chimed in, ‘Well, who hasn't?'

[SBM]

McAtasney's former roommate, Preston Taylor, testified Wednesday that McAtasney convinced Stern to take the money out of a safe-deposit box at the bank so that they could take a trip or move to either Canada or California.

[SBM]

‘She seemed very happy and excited because she thought she was going to Canada,’ Draper said.

[SBM]

Stern's aunt told the jury she saw her niece that same day, but Stern never mentioned to her that she was moving or that it would be the last time she would ever see her.

[SBM]

McAtasney, usually stoic, dabbed at tears while listening to the testimony of Laura Carmody, a waitress and former co-worker of his at Brennan's Steakhouse in Neptune City. Carmody described McAtasney as an ‘excellent’ employee.

[SBM]

Carmody's testimony apparently was offered by prosecutors to corroborate Taylor's story that McAtasney had lost his phone the day he said he killed Stern, and that he had come home several times that day to look for it.

Carmody said McAtasney came in that day, ready to start his shift, and then realized he didn't have his phone, so he went to his car to look for it.

‘He had said he was helping a friend move furniture in the afternoon, and that's when he might have lost it,’ Carmody testified.

She said McAtasney was scheduled to work the following day, but never returned to work after closing up the restaurant that night.

Taylor testified Wednesday that McAtasney told him he planned to quit his job after pulling off the robbery.

[SBM]”
Sarah Stern murder: Victim told friend she was moving to Canada with accused killer

Just remembering and thinking. I participated in the search for Sarah . At that time LE let us know what article of clothing Sarah was last seen wearing. After PT led LE to 2 spots, Sandy Hook and Shark River area, where LE found buried items. Some items were Sarah's clothes.
So when the Defense was cross examing PT, regarding urine and vomit, that Sarah had produced while being strangled, I started to think . First, was LM being honest about the details of strangling Sarah to PT? Did LM clean up Sarah's bodily functions, to leave no evidence ? Why would Sarah have been stripped of her clothes? We're the clothes buried of Sarah's, the ones she was wearing when murdered?

First, was LM being honest about the details of strangling Sarah to PT? Did LM clean up Sarah's bodily functions, to leave no evidence ? Why would Sarah have been stripped of her clothes? We're the clothes buried of Sarah's, the ones she was wearing when murdered?
RSABBM for focus

Thank you for bringing this up.

“Taylor later confessed to the killing, bringing authorities to two buried safes in Sandy Hook and Shark River Park in Wall. Authorities said one contained the cash from the robbery and another had pieces of Stern's clothing.“ (BBM)
A year later, Sarah Stern's dad reflects on loss

“Relying on Mr. Taylor’s confession, the police have recovered two buried safe boxes, one in Sandy Hook containing about $7,000 and another in Shark River Park containing Ms. Stern’s clothing.“ (BBM)
They Helped Look for Her. Now They’re Accused in Her Murder.

LE have always said it was Sarah’s clothes that were found buried, which leads me to believe her DNA was found on them.

I don’t believe it was ever reported whether it was the clothes she was wearing at the time of her murder. Hopefully, PT will help clear that up. Also, if the investigators were able to find traces of urine or vomit on them, then the jury may infer that they were indeed what Sarah was wearing when she was killed, and that PT was likely telling the truth during his testimony about what LM told him as to how he killed her, how much time passed before she was dead, etc.

I dont remember reading Sarah was stripped of her clothes, but she very well may have been. PT may be able to help clear this up as well. If the clothes were found intact, then my guess would be that they took them off of Sarah’s body to make identification a little more difficult in case her remains were found.

What does bother me is that I have read several times it was “pieces of” Sarah’s clothing that were found. If true, I wonder if LM kept them as a “trophy.” Perhaps he thought he would use them as a prop in a video. Extremely disturbing, but very well could be the case, IMO.

RSABBM for focus

“Taylor later confessed to the killing, bringing authorities to two buried safes in Sandy Hook and Shark River Park in Wall. Authorities said one contained the cash from the robbery and another had pieces of Stern's clothing.“ (BBM)

“Relying on Mr. Taylor’s confession, the police have recovered two buried safe boxes, one in Sandy Hook containing about $7,000 and another in Shark River Park containing Ms. Stern’s clothing.“ (BBM)

LE have always said it was Sarah’s clothes that were found buried, which leads me to believe her DNA was found on them.

I don’t believe it was ever reported whether it was the clothes she was wearing at the time of her murder. Hopefully, PT will help clear that up. Also, if the investigators were able to find traces of urine or vomit on them, then the jury may infer that they were indeed what Sarah was wearing when she was killed, and that PT was likely telling the truth during his testimony about what LM told him as to how he killed her, how much time passed before she was dead, etc.

I dont remember reading Sarah was stripped of her clothes, but she very well may have been. PT may be able to help clear this up as well. If the clothes were found intact, then my guess would be that they took them off of Sarah’s body to make identification a little more difficult in case her remains were found.

What does bother me is that I have read several times it was “pieces of” Sarah’s clothing that were found. If true, I wonder if LM kept them as a “trophy.” Perhaps he thought he would use them as a prop in a video. Extremely disturbing, but very well could be the case, IMO.
RSABBM for focus

Also ,the box of cash at the Avon house. First LM describes as 100,000. Big difference between 20,000. Was that intentional on LM part ? Did he use 100,000 as a lure to PT? Not that it matters ,unfortunately Sarah is still dead. Just trying to understand all of what would make LM and PT do this.

Tuesday, January 29th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9am ET) - NJ - Sarah Stern (19) (Dec. 2, 2016, Neptune City; not found) - *Liam McAtasney (21/19 @ time of crime) charged (2/1/17) & indicted (2/2/17) with 1st degree murder, 1st degree robbery, felony murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, desecrating human remains (2nd degree), tampering with physical evidence & hindering his own apprehension. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA seeks Life.
Trial starts 1/23/19; should last 4 to 6 weeks & will only be on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays.
1/23/19 Day 1: Opening Statements. State witness: Preston Taylor (accomplice).
1/24/19 Day 2: State witnesses: Preston Taylor. Carly Draper (Sarah's friend). Shirley Longo (Sarah's aunt). Michelle Bahr (Sarah's cousin). Kearny Bank Branch Manager Raymond Bloetjes & teller Lynda Capobianco. A detective with the financial crimes unit of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office. Laura Carmody, a waitress & former co-worker of Liam at Brennan's Steakhouse. Trial continues on Tuesday, 1/29.
His accomplice Preston Taylor (19) faces up to 20 years in state prison and is subject to the No Early Release Act. (Was facing up to life in prison on the felony murder charge and 51 years for the additional charges). He pleaded guilty (4/27/17) to 1st degree robbery, 2nd degree conspiracy to commit robbery, 2nd degree distributing or desecrating human remains, 2 counts of 3rd degree hindering apprehension & 4th degree tampering with physical evidence. His sentencing will be adjourned until later in the year, pending McAtasney’s trial. Will testify at LMc's trial.

Not sure. I'm sure her dad MS will get some blame. Let's not forget the victim herself. Honestly I do not know how Sarah's family can bear what they hear .
SS is quoted as saying that she'd lost respect for her dad, and the notion was seconded by LM. I imagine SS had to be getting a strange vibe off her alleged friends LM and PT-- leading up to day of her death, but why was SS also down on her dad?

SS is quoted as saying that she'd lost respect for her dad, and the notion was seconded by LM. I imagine SS had to be getting a strange vibe off her alleged friends LM and PT-- leading up to day of her death, but why was SS also down on her dad?
I could speculate but I might be wrong. As a parent myself, and a Jersey Girl, sometimes we just annoy our kids. Also, there's not a person from NJ that doesn't occasionally say, I gotta get out of Jersey, IMO. I'm sure Sarah did not mean for those words to be the last words her father would hear.

I could speculate but I might be wrong. As a parent myself, and a Jersey Girl, sometimes we just annoy our kids. Also, there's not a person from NJ that doesn't occasionally say, I gotta get out of Jersey, IMO. I'm sure Sarah did not mean for those words to be the last words her father would hear.
Thanks. After I read the post "I'm sure her dad MS will gets some blame," -- I was afraid I'd missed something Dad did that SS was upset about.

No one tweeting from the court room in this case? I haven't found any one....

TIA if anyone does! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member