NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the ***k? Laughing their *advertiser censored* off? !I'd dismiss the person who contacted this person. Review the rules of communication between jurors , and continue the trial! ***king plant! #tomanyviewingsofrunawayjury

I hope this will be the outcome and NOT a mistrial. Blatant disregard of their role as jurors

What a disgusting person.
Indeed.

“Other jurors were questioned this morning about whether they knew about the post, the dismissal and whether this would affect their own judgement.

Some had heard about the post, but most said it wouldn’t affect them as jurors, but the judge still took a recess to consider the situation.” (BBM)
Juror in the Sarah Stern murder trial dismissed; judge considers request for mistrial

So I am assuming at least one juror told the judge the post would affect him/her.

I’m about to throw up.

The juror was dismissed about 4:30 p.m. Thursday after Judge Richard English’s chambers received a call that someone spotted a comment posted by the juror.

The comment was in response to a news article about the case and said, “Sitting on the jury LMFAO" (laughing my f---ing a-- off), Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said Wednesday.

‘Sitting on the jury LMFAO,’ juror in Sarah Stern murder trial posts on Facebook

ETA

Doyle and Christopher Decker, the other assistant prosecutor on the case, appeared visibly angered by the break. The state was planning to call its final witnesses Wednesday in a trial that has lasted 21 days.

What a disgusting person.
And how would this jury have ever been able to have fair and mindful deliberations with such a member among them.

Really? --Laughing their a s s off while serving on a murder trial.

I'm so disgusted.

I wonder if a fellow juror reported this person, or if the Court was suspicious leading to an investigation of juror social media/facebook.

I see no choice here but to declare a mistrial. :eek:

So sorry for SS family and friends. :(

Did this all happen TODAY??!!

Meaning the defense asked for a mistrial this morning - and Judge excused the jurors today?

And how would this jury have ever been able to have fair and mindful deliberations with such a member among them.

Really? --Laughing their a s s off while serving on a murder trial.

I'm so disgusted.

I wonder if a fellow juror reported this person, or if the Court was suspicious leading to an investigation of juror social media/facebook.

I see no choice here but to declare a mistrial. :eek:

So sorry for SS family and friends. :(

BBM. I was on a murder trial jury once years ago. I had signed up for LinkedIn at some point when it first came out but I never did use it. After the trial was over and I freely went back about my normal business (YES I stayed off line for two weeks even though it was just a local trial), I saw a notification in my email that somebody had been snooping around my linkedin page, it was the Defense Attorney.

Did this all happen TODAY??!!

Meaning the defense asked for a mistrial this morning - and Judge excused the jurors today?
No decision until tomorrow.

The juror was dismissed last Thursday at 4:30pm, no court on Friday, and set to resume on Tuesday 2/12. Court was canceled Tuesday due to weather, so all this went down today. This morning the Judge asked each juror if they had knowledge of juror dismissal and half the panel said they did. Judge dismissed them for the day, and will make a decision tomorrow about mistrial or not.

ETA: Defense just asked Judge today to declare mistrial. I think we will know tomorrow.

If five of the jurors knew why Juror #13 was released, that indicates they were talking amongst themselves. They're supposed to discuss the weather and the state of the roads, and very little outside of that ONLY. I wonder if those five will be dismissed and hence, mistrial. Damn, this makes me FURIOUS

OK Attorneys out there. What is the rule regarding communications between jurors on active trial? I do believe this was a set up .It may be my Jaded Jersey coming out .I really do not believe it needs to be a mistrial.

After listening to the hidden tape of LM by AC, I did not think anything could make me feel worse but the disrespect shown by one or more jurors cuts like a knife. What is humorous about Sarah's murder? Any murder? :eek:

I'm very aware that the Judge reminds jurors every day before dismissal to keep their minds suspended, no communication about the case, no communication with each other, and NO FACEBOOK .....,etc. This misconduct was nothing short of deliberate.

My heart breaks for Sarah's Dad, family, and friends. This is justice delayed folks.

“[SBM]

Because five of the jurors heard about the social media post shows that McAtansey cannot get a fair trial and is grounds for a mistrial, argued McAtasney's attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo.

Meghan Doyle, assistant Monmouth County prosecutor, accused Diaz-Cobo of trying to delay the trial and distance the jury from a videotape they viewed on Thursday of McAtasney confessing in detail to strangling his childhood friend and discarding her body.

[SBM]

When she was questioned about it late Thursday afternoon, the juror claimed it was posted by her 15-year-old sister, the judge said. The post has since been taken down, he said.

[SBM]”
Sarah Stern murder: 'LMAO' Facebook post gets juror booted

OK Attorneys out there. What is the rule regarding communications between jurors on active trial? I do believe this was a set up .It may be my Jaded Jersey coming out .I really do not believe it needs to be a mistrial.
I promise this is not the end.

If trial is allowed to continue, the defense will immediately file a motion to overturn/impeach the verdict due this juror #13 misconduct, and the impact it had on the others this late in the trial.

Defense will present a litany of extraneous. prejudicial influences they believe the jurors had to deliberate under. Most important-- the defense will focus on the context of juror #13 facebook post: "Sitting on the Jury LMFAO" to present their best argument i.e., that the Court cannot prove to the defendant that all the impaneled were not laughing -- contending they just didn't post about it.

Whether a mistrial or an appeal, I have no doubt that justice for Sarah will be delayed.

MOO

The juror dismissed from the Sarah Stern murder trial over a comment on Facebook said she is relieved to be away from the trial, which was causing vivid nightmares, but said she didn’t make the comment.

The juror was dismissed about 4:30 p.m. Thursday after Judge Richard English learned she wrote a Facebook comment about the case. “Sitting on the jury LMAO" (laughing my a-- off), read the comment on a news article about the trial, Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said in court Wednesday.

In an interview with NJ Advance Media over Facebook Messenger, the juror, who asked to be identified as a 21-year-old Middletown resident, also claimed the Facebook comment was made by her younger sister, with whom she shares an account — though the account only lists the juror’s name and her claim could not be independently verified. The juror said she deleted the comment as soon as she saw it.

She said the case, which has been going on for several weeks, was “taking a toll on me emotionally.”

“A lot of people kept telling me I looked like (Stern) and everyone involved was my age and so it was a lot to handle,” the juror said in a Facebook message. “I started having really vivid nightmares about it and I couldn’t take it anymore. It was too much.”

Last week, the jury watched a secretly recorded video of Liam McAtasney speaking to a cooperating witness in detail about how he strangled Stern, 19, and then watched her die. He also laid out how he studied Stern for months and plotted to make her death appear as if she had committed suicide.

“I can’t say much about the video other than it was extremely difficult to watch,” the dismissed juror said. “I can’t go into detail until the case is actually over but like I said, very hard to watch.”

McAtasney is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Stern. Authorities allege he killed her during a robbery at her Neptune City home on Dec. 2, 2016. He then enlisted the help of Preston Taylor, his roommate and Stern’s junior prom date, to help remove her body from the house and toss it over the Route 35 bridge in Belmar, authorities said. Stern’s body was never found.

Taylor has admitted his role in the case and testified against McAtasney on the first day of the trial. Taylor testified that the two thought they would get up to $100,000 from Stern but only made away with about $10,000.

The dismissed juror declined to answer a question about whether she believes McAtasney is guilty.

“I didn’t get to hear the defense’s arguments, so I would’ve been curious,” she said. “I can’t have a verdict without hearing the defense.”

The juror said she is relieved to back into a normal routine.

“I do wish I had tried harder not to take it so much to heart,” she said, “just so I could be a part of the case because it is such an intense and important case.”

The dismissal of the juror wasn’t made public until Wednesday, just prior to the state calling its final witnesses.

Before the start of the proceedings Wednesday, the jury was called into the courtroom and then asked one by one if they had knowledge of why the juror was dismissed. Five of the jurors said they learned the dismissed juror had posted something about the case on Facebook but that they had no knowledge of the contents of the post.

McAtasney’s attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo, asked English to take the rest of the day Wednesday to research the issue and write a brief seeking a mistrial. English granted the defense’s request.

Doyle and Christopher Decker, the other assistant prosecutor on the case, appeared visibly angered by the break.

English is scheduled to rule on Diaz-Cobo’s motion for a mistrial on Thursday.

Dismissed juror in Sarah Stern murder trial blames sister for being kicked off jury

The juror dismissed from the Sarah Stern murder trial over a comment on Facebook said she is relieved to be away from the trial, which was causing vivid nightmares, but said she didn’t make the comment.

The juror was dismissed about 4:30 p.m. Thursday after Judge Richard English learned she wrote a Facebook comment about the case. “Sitting on the jury LMAO" (laughing my a-- off), read the comment on a news article about the trial, Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said in court Wednesday.

In an interview with NJ Advance Media over Facebook Messenger, the juror, who asked to be identified as a 21-year-old Middletown resident, also claimed the Facebook comment was made by her younger sister, with whom she shares an account — though the account only lists the juror’s name and her claim could not be independently verified. The juror said she deleted the comment as soon as she saw it.

She said the case, which has been going on for several weeks, was “taking a toll on me emotionally.”

“A lot of people kept telling me I looked like (Stern) and everyone involved was my age and so it was a lot to handle,” the juror said in a Facebook message. “I started having really vivid nightmares about it and I couldn’t take it anymore. It was too much.”

Last week, the jury watched a secretly recorded video of Liam McAtasney speaking to a cooperating witness in detail about how he strangled Stern, 19, and then watched her die. He also laid out how he studied Stern for months and plotted to make her death appear as if she had committed suicide.

“I can’t say much about the video other than it was extremely difficult to watch,” the dismissed juror said. “I can’t go into detail until the case is actually over but like I said, very hard to watch.”

McAtasney is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Stern. Authorities allege he killed her during a robbery at her Neptune City home on Dec. 2, 2016. He then enlisted the help of Preston Taylor, his roommate and Stern’s junior prom date, to help remove her body from the house and toss it over the Route 35 bridge in Belmar, authorities said. Stern’s body was never found.

Taylor has admitted his role in the case and testified against McAtasney on the first day of the trial. Taylor testified that the two thought they would get up to $100,000 from Stern but only made away with about $10,000.

The dismissed juror declined to answer a question about whether she believes McAtasney is guilty.

“I didn’t get to hear the defense’s arguments, so I would’ve been curious,” she said. “I can’t have a verdict without hearing the defense.”

“I do wish I had tried harder not to take it so much to heart,” she said, “just so I could be a part of the case because it is such an intense and important case.”

The dismissal of the juror wasn’t made public until Wednesday, just prior to the state calling its final witnesses.

Before the start of the proceedings Wednesday, the jury was called into the courtroom and then asked one by one if they had knowledge of why the juror was dismissed. Five of the jurors said they learned the dismissed juror had posted something about the case on Facebook but that they had no knowledge of the contents of the post.

McAtasney’s attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo, asked English to take the rest of the day Wednesday to research the issue and write a brief seeking a mistrial. English granted the defense’s request.

Doyle and Christopher Decker, the other assistant prosecutor on the case, appeared visibly angered by the break.

Dismissed juror in Sarah Stern murder trial blames sister for being kicked off jury
And now we have it -- I believe the 21 year old juror wanted out, and responsible for the comment made on her fb. Deliberate action. MOO

I call her shared account with her sister BS!

And now we have it -- I believe the 21 year old juror wanted out, and responsible for the comment made on her fb. Deliberate action. MOO
Omg OK young 21 year old person ,is there any reason why you shouldn't sit on this jury? ?Perhaps, the details of this case disturbs me,and I do not trust my judgement,as my brain isn't done maturing! Perhaps in my reckless judgement I may sabatage an entire murder trial?! How about that Dumb***, but please interview me, and print it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova