Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a selfish brat.

Completely agree. I am SO disgusted by her. Many juries have to deal w/emotionally draining cases but they soldier on and do it because they want justice for the victims. Her comment about the trial “taking a toll on me emotionally” really grinds my gears. Imagine how much of a toll the trial is taking on Sarah's family and friends!!! Now, they will probably have to sit through another emotionally draining trial because of her and her stupid, selfish actions. And I don't think for a minute it was her sister. SMDH.

Completely agree. I am SO disgusted by her. Many juries have to deal w/emotionally draining cases but they soldier on and do it because they want justice for the victims. Her comment about the trial “taking a toll on me emotionally” really grinds my gears. Imagine how much of a toll the trial is taking on Sarah's family and friends!!! Now, they will probably have to sit through another emotionally draining trial because of her and her stupid, selfish actions. And I don't think for a minute it was her sister. SMDH.
Agreed. Saying prayers for the Stern family, and the judge.

Attorney seeks mistrial after murder trial juror’s social media post”

“[SBM]

We believe there are issues that would cause a potential mistrial in this case and deals with my client’s Sixth Amendment right to a fair trial,’ [Defense attorney Carlos] Diaz-Cobo said.

But the prosecution argued that a mistrial is not needed. Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said that the Facebook post made by Juror 13 simply stated that she was on the jury for the case.

‘Nothing about the facts of this case were discussed in that Facebook post. No one read the article. Not one juror knew anything about the contents of it, where it was posted, or anything like that,’ Doyle said.

[SBM]

Judge English called a recess to allow both parties to research and consider a motion for mistrial. But he also warned the jury about the rules.

‘I’m going to indicate again and warn you not to go on Facebook at all, to put up anything relevant to this case, to do any independent research on this case or review media articles,’ he said.

Jurors were told to be back in court Thursday at 10:30 a.m. The prosecution has two more witnesses to call to the stand – both investigators with the Monmouth County Prosecutor’ Office. Then they are expected to rest their case.

The defense will present their case next, which should include three to five witnesses.“ (BBM)
Attorney seeks mistrial after murder trial juror’s social media post

I call her shared account with her sister BS!

Nobody shares a FB account with their 15 year old sister. Please.
Judge English agrees, IMO (as I do):

“[SBM]

When the juror was questioned about it late Thursday afternoon before being dismissed from the case, ‘her excuse was - whether it's believable or not - that her sister, 15 years old, had posted this post,’ English said.

I couldn't tell you if that's true or not,‘ the judge added.

The post was taken down soon afterward, he said.” (BBM)
Sarah Stern murder: 'LMAO' Facebook post gets juror booted

On the juror:
Oh, my word, what a selfish child, if that was a spawn of mine she'd NEVER hear the end of it. I'd disown her. JUST disgusting.

On the trial-- I have this feeling Judge English will let it continue, with an alternate. But even on the off chance that he doesn't, I know in my core that there is no jury on earth that will let such a menace to society walk free ever again.

And Niner, my thoughts will be with your family and sister, this Friday. May the PET scan be clean or very mostly clean. I will keep good positive thoughts coming her way all day Friday, and in the days ahead while waiting.
Crossing everything.

~hug~
Kav

Attorney seeks mistrial after murder trial juror’s social media post”

“[SBM]

We believe there are issues that would cause a potential mistrial in this case and deals with my client’s Sixth Amendment right to a fair trial,’ [Defense attorney Carlos] Diaz-Cobo said.

But the prosecution argued that a mistrial is not needed. Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said that the Facebook post made by Juror 13 simply stated that she was on the jury for the case.

‘Nothing about the facts of this case were discussed in that Facebook post. No one read the article. Not one juror knew anything about the contents of it, where it was posted, or anything like that,’ Doyle said.

[SBM]

Judge English called a recess to allow both parties to research and consider a motion for mistrial. But he also warned the jury about the rules.

‘I’m going to indicate again and warn you not to go on Facebook at all, to put up anything relevant to this case, to do any independent research on this case or review media articles,’ he said.

Jurors were told to be back in court Thursday at 10:30 a.m. The prosecution has two more witnesses to call to the stand – both investigators with the Monmouth County Prosecutor’ Office. Then they are expected to rest their case.

The defense will present their case next, which should include three to five witnesses.“ (BBM)
Attorney seeks mistrial after murder trial juror’s social media post
Thank you for this post.

Holy crap. My head is about to explode. How inconsiderate. Im guessing she had plans for this weekend and didn't want to miss them. UGH.

I bet they call a mistrial (not that I agree...) and Sarah's family has to sit through all of it again. God bless them. If I were in their shoes, I would want to physically hurt the person who caused a mistrial on my Childs case, intentionally.

Kavya said:
And Niner, my thoughts will be with your family and sister, this Friday. May the PET scan be clean or very mostly clean. I will keep good positive thoughts coming her way all day Friday, and in the days ahead while waiting.
Crossing everything.

Thank you!
vil2_peace.gif

I too don't think the Judge will call a mistrial. Does anyone know the makeup of the jurors - men vs women? TIA! :)

Thursday, February 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 9) (@ 10:30am ET) - NJ - Sarah Stern (19) (Dec. 2, 2016, Neptune City; not found) - *Liam McAtasney (21/19 @ time of crime) charged (2/1/17) & indicted (2/2/17) with 1st degree murder, 1st degree robbery, felony murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, desecrating human remains (2nd degree), tampering with physical evidence & hindering his own apprehension. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA seeks Life.
Trial started 1/23/19; should last 4 to 6 weeks & will only be on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays.
Skipping over Day 1 thru 6 - reference post #832 here: Still Missing - NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2
2/7/19 Day 7: State witnesses: Anthony Curry. DA played the video Curry recorded on Jan. 31, 2017, McAtasney laid out in detail choking Stern for a half hour. Edward Curry, Anthony's father, to corroborate his son’s story. Trial continues on Tuesday, 2/12.
2/12/19 Day 8 – cancelled: Monmouth County courts are CLOSED today due to the impending winter weather. Courts will re-open tomorrow as per the normal schedule. Trial continues to 2/13.
2/13/19 Day 8: Juror #13 (21 yrs old lady) was dismissed for posting on social media. "Sitting on the jury laughing my a— off.” That was the Facebook post that got a juror on the Sarah Stern murder trial kicked off the case. And now, the attorney for Stern’s accused killer is asking for a mistrial because of it. The juror in question was dismissed Thursday (2/7/19) at the end of the day over the social media post. That prompted him today to question the remaining 15 panelists individually about what, if anything, they knew of her removal. Because five of the jurors heard about the social media post shows that McAtansey cannot get a fair trial & is grounds for a mistrial, argued McAtasney's attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo. Judge English said he will decide Thursday (2/14) whether a mistrial will be declared at 10:30am. The prosecution has two more witnesses to call to the stand – both investigators with the Monmouth County Prosecutor’ Office. Then they are expected to rest their case. The defense will present their case next, which should include three to five witnesses.
His accomplice *Preston Taylor (19) faces up to 20 years in state prison and is subject to the No Early Release Act. (Was facing up to life in prison on the felony murder charge and 51 years for the additional charges). He pleaded guilty (4/27/17) to 1st degree robbery, 2nd degree conspiracy to commit robbery, 2nd degree distributing or desecrating human remains, 2 counts of 3rd degree hindering apprehension & 4th degree tampering with physical evidence. His sentencing will be adjourned until later in the year, pending McAtasney’s trial. Testified at LMc's trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova