NM NM - Leah Peebles, 23, Albuquerque, 22 May 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We can never forget Leah or her champion -- her father, John -- who passed away this year. Thinking of them both tonight. :heartbeat:

leah-peebles.jpg

Must have been extremely difficult holidays for the loved ones of Leah and her father John. Thinking of them and wishing them strength and peace. May they get closure in Leah's case one day.

She looks completely different in all of her photos. If she is still alive, I think she'd need to come forward in order to be returned safely. I'm not sure she'd be recognised otherwise.

She looks completely different in all of her photos. If she is still alive, I think she'd need to come forward in order to be returned safely. I'm not sure she'd be recognised otherwise.

Yes. She looks so different in all of those photos, and that is without spending years on the street involved in hard drugs and prostitution. (If indeed that is where Leah ended up, and if indeed she is still alive).

We can never forget Leah or her champion -- her father, John -- who passed away this year. Thinking of them both tonight. :heartbeat:

leah-peebles.jpg

I didn't realize her father had passed away this year. How tragic to not know what has become of his daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realize her father had passed away this year. How tragic to not know what has become of his daughter.

:wagon: to Websleuths, mwhite10!

Thanks for joining us in Leah's thread! :gthanks:

Here are the links to Leah's father's obituary and a short blurb in an article about his death:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/218746801.html?ipad=y

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cantonrep/obituary.aspx?n=john-daniel-peebles&pid=166314836

So sad. :(

Sometimes I still think it is very possible that Leah is still alive, but the lifestyle she was living is unsafe, so definitely not a likely possibility. She probably did feel like a burden to her family and decided to get money by working for a drug dealer as a prostitute. However I don't think she would abandon her family completely. I find this case to be pretty unclear. I do think it is very likely that they killed Leah, because her father was learning to much about what they were doing. Otherwise, I think they may of sold her to a pimp outside of Albuquerque or New Mexico. JMO

I'm leaning towards the scenario that she is still alive but has either move from Albuquerque or has become so deeply involved with drugs and prostitution that making contact with her family is the farthest thing in her mind. So sad that her father passed never knowing. I truly hope LE is able to locate her alive. Although the possibility that she was murdered as a result of her lifestyle cannot be discounted.

FYI -- The Disappeared episode is re-running today on Investigation Discovery

:bump:

It's very nice to see Leah's name in there and seeing her family still remember her, but it's very sad her father died, and so young too! It's a shame that his death didn't make Leah reach out (if she is alive and has easy access to a phone and she heard about it, of course), but this makes me think she isn't alive, or is somewhere against her will as she seemed to care about her family a lot.

I agree with you, CircuitGuy. He was talking to prostitutes and people who do drugs - they're doing illegal things and he's inquiring too much, they're going to become really suspicious. They don't know if he's an undercover cop and just saying he's missing his daughter to find out more about them and their activities. Although I do think it is very likely that Leah went with these people, they most likely kept her away from her father as he was asking about her and they didn't knows who he is, not because they wanted to keep a daughter from a father. I also wonder if they did assume he was a cop, if they killed Leah because they thought she was a cop too.

He did find out a lot more than the police did in a short amount of time, however. The police should've been doing what he was doing, but I have a feeling they probably didn't because they considered Leah's past and the fact that she most likely had run off doing illegal things.

I also just want to add - I hate how girls like Leah are treated when they make a claim of rape. Disappeared said she was blamed for it because she was drinking and wore provocative clothing or something, and I can't remember if the charges were dismissed or they thought she wouldn't have a case so they decided not to pursue it. It's really horrible she had to go through the ordeal of rape, then have the world against her when she wanted to press charges and be blamed for this horrible and traumatic thing happening to her. They should be in jail.

I think this girl was very damaged and it's so sad that the rape (as well as the molestation) was her downfall while the people who did it roam free without facing the consequences. It's always the victim who suffers.

It was even worse than you think. I just watched the Disappeared episode - when she was raped, they encouraged her parents not to press charges because when her friend knocked on her window, she let him in. That's ALL. She let a friend into her room, he raped her, and maybe it was her own fault for letting him in. Sickening.

I'm leaning towards the scenario that she is still alive but has either move from Albuquerque or has become so deeply involved with drugs and prostitution that making contact with her family is the farthest thing in her mind. So sad that her father passed never knowing. I truly hope LE is able to locate her alive. Although the possibility that she was murdered as a result of her lifestyle cannot be discounted.

I very much wonder as well if she is alive and under such a deep influence of drugs that contacting family is in the back of her head. I also wonder if maybe she's gotten so messed up on drugs that she cannot recall her identity or if she has became very disoriented from drugs and is being held captive and taken advantage of. JMO

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there will be new episodes of disappeared produced?

I would love that. Many of the shows on ID are so hokey. Disappeared really does drum up interest in these old cases, though! I think Disappeared is usually very well done and one of the most worthwhile shows on ID. I love that they spotlight cases in which both the family/friends and LE are willing to participate, so the viewers can get a well-rounded perspective.

I haven't heard anything about a new season though, unfortunately :/

My sister just made a tip to crimestoppers about a girl, completely unrelated to the show. It was something that someone said to her. Everything she told me lines up exactly with Leah. Wow.

My sister just made a tip to crimestoppers about a girl, completely unrelated to the show. It was something that someone said to her. Everything she told me lines up exactly with Leah. Wow.

Can you elaborate?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back