Melissa Ann Montoya

No_Image_Available_female.jpg
  • Case Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Missing Since: March 09, 2001
  • Location Last Seen: Dulce, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico

Description:

• Date of Birth: circa 1959***
  • Race: Indigenous/Native American
  • Height: 5' 7" - 5' 8" (67 - 68 inches)
  • Weight: 155 - 165 lbs.
  • Hair Color: Black
  • Eye Color: Brown/Wears contact lenses
  • Nickname/Alias: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
  • Clothing & Jewelry: Blue jeans & brown boots.
  • Identifiers: Dental records, fingerprints, and DNA available.
  • Other: Tribal information - Jicarilla Apache
***Some agencies report her age as 33 at the time of her disappearance.

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Montoya was last seen in Dulce, New Mexico on March 9, 2001. She attended a St. Patrick's Day party at the Apache House of Liquor and has never been heard from since. Few details are available regarding her disappearance and her whereabouts remain unknown.

Investigators:
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs - Jicarilla Agency: (575) 759-3951
    Reference Case Number: Unavailable
  • Jicarilla Apache Nation Police Department: (575) 759-3222
    Reference Case Number: 010007
NamUs Case Number: MP8420
NCIC Case Number: Unavailable

3135DFNM - Melissa Ann Montoya
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Melissa Montoya, Missing from New Mexico since 2001.

Sept 27, 2023

<<Melissa Ann Montoya, an enrolled member of the Jicarilla Apache Nation, disappeared on St. Patrick’s Day, 2001. Knowing Gomez was studying law at UNM, Montoya’s family sought her help. Gomez did the best she could to answer legal questions and assisted in the search for Montoya.

At the time of her disappearance, Montoya had been living in a remote area of Colorado, just across the New Mexico state line. Gomez said it was extremely difficult to get agencies to work together, but she enlisted the help of Gabe Valdez, a New Mexico State Police Officer who had spent most of his career in Dulce.

“Valdez knew everyone in Dulce and the surrounding area, including the Colorado communities on the other side of the state line,” said Gomez. “To the best of his ability, Valdez tried to work with Colorado law enforcement to solve the case.”

But nothing much happened, and when Valdez retired, the case went cold.

Gomez was appalled to discover that only a silhouette of Montoya was attached to her name on missing persons websites. In October 2022, after Gomez lobbied the FBI, her photograph was added to the missing person databases. Gomez was also instrumental in getting Montoya’s story profiled on an episode of Uncovered.>>

May 9, 2023- Melissa is mentioned

She said that Melissa broke up with her boyfriend just days before she disappeared. The family believes he may have been abusive.

"It was the St. Patrick's Day dance. And I remember they hadn't opened the dance up to the public yet. And so she stopped to visit with me. And we talked for probably a good hour and a half before she left to go to the dance. So I was one of the last people to speak with her," Melody said.

Darlene Gomez has been working on the case for 23 years and may have recently found a clue about where Melissa might be.

"I received an email from a woman who was looking for her loved one who went missing from California. So she came across the NamUs record stating that bones and a skull had been found in Dulcie, New Mexico. And they were a female that was between 30 and 60 years of age and Native American. And so she did her own research. And she found that there was only three women missing from the area, and Melissa Montoya was one of them," Darlene Gomez said.

Those bones were entered into a database, discovered in 2020.

Darlene is now fighting to get those remains tested to see if it could be Melissa.

"The Office of the medical investigator did tell me that there are no funds available to test these bones," Darlene Gomez said. @othram

So she reached out to the Jicarilla Apache Police Department to actively work the case. Claiming that investigators are now reaching out to family members for DNA testing.

"It was really hard when my grandmother was alive. She would say quite often that she hoped that Melissa would be found, you know, that Lisa, something would come of her disappearance before she passed away. And it was sad that when my grandmother died, she didn't know what happened to Lisa," Melody Gomez said.

While the family doesn't know exactly what happened to Melissa, they suspect her ex-boyfriend might have had some details.

"Maybe three or four months after she went missing. I believe he committed suicide. So I believe that his body was found just, you know, a couple of miles down the road into Colorado, at the ranch home that they shared together," Melody Gomez said.

The family told KOAT that the ranch he lived on with Melissa was set on fire a few days later.

"I saw the flames. When I was getting closer, I rolled down the window to try to see more and the heat was so extensive that you couldn't even really roll down your window," Melody Gomez said.

"It'll be three years ago that my mom passed away, and she had dementia. And she kept asking me about Melissa. 'Que Paso?' Where is she? And so I kind of felt like maybe she had this premonition that if I worked on MMIW more and kept Melissa's name in the media that, you know, she would be found, or we would get answers," Darlene Gomez said.

<snipped & BBM>
Bones found in the Dulce area were tested and determined not to belong to missing woman Melissa Montoya, leaving her family still searching for answers.

"She had a lot of family, a large family, but I think he kept a lot of people who were close to her at a distance for a reason," Melody Gomez, Montoya's cousin, said.

[...]

The bones had been sitting in a law enforcement room untested until Darlene Gomez, an advocate and attorney for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Peoples (MMIP), fought to get the evidence tested.

"So the update is really sad. Currently, we were told that the bones belonged to a male," Darlene Gomez said. "We were extremely hopeful that the remains would be Melissa Montoya's, and they're not."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabrina Sleuth
Back