Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He may not have sailed in the kayak after Bodø, I do not think so. Other people may have performed the bad assembly of the kayak, between Rognan and Fauske :(

I would hate to go to the restaurant with so much luggage, but I would just leave the supervision to a travel mate I already knew.

Impressive:)

IMHO AK brought his luggage to the railway station and left it in a locker after he checked out of the hotel. He only kept what he would have needed to pass a few hours in or around the town. We do not know what he was planning to do.

He may have left the kayak in a locker when he returned from his last trip, no need to carry it to the hotel. That said, do we know with certainty that he did go kayaking in the Bodø area and elsewhere? Did he send pictures to his friends, did he take lessons, did he ask around for the best places for beginners?

I have some doubts about possible other persons who may have assembled the kayak. Of course everything is possible, but to me the kayak looked battered by the elements. The rope lines on the top of the hull looked as if they snapped, could AK have transported a bag there? and it seemed like they were covered in salt (?) when they should have been pitch black, but this may be due to a flashlight.

If persons unknown assembled the kayak, perhaps they consulted the internet. Can it be checked who (IP-adress) consulted websites about ORU kayaks around August 20 in the Bodø area?

If persons unknown assembled the kayak, perhaps they consulted the internet. Can it be checked who (IP-adress) consulted websites about ORU kayaks around August 20 in the Bodø area?
As it looks like on police picture. I think so many persons would be able to assemble it without the small time consuming details, even without the internet, just som straps. It's going to be fast if the same people are going to activate a phone in Fauske around 22:00 in this scenario... Where the kayak makes it look like an accident and it is hard to turn into money, If the Rognan witness is valid, they have had an hour for planning ("normal criminals" in transit):(

another map over military installations: ArcGIS Web Application Digital version, gives a litte different expression than the drawn one, and also shows hole of Norway, plus with search function for area

This article came today in VG:
"Top secret military bases revealed. The National Security Authority (NSM) has published a map of the Armed Forces installations and facilities, including strictly secret facilities. In connection with new regulations on airborne sensor systems, the National Security Authority has published this map."
Topphemmelige militærbaser avslørt
The ArcGis map shows the no-fly zones for drones in Norway (no-drone zones).
The publication of ArcGis map is being highly criticised by expert(s) who believe that it's causing insecurity instead of security.

In this article, Bodø is mentioned as an example (Google translation):
Experts critical for the publication of maps with Norwegian military facilities
"Now I'm zooming in to places in Norway where there are many military facilities. For example, zooming in on Bodø shows up about ten points marked as forbidden zones. Then you can click on and see what kind of installations this is by looking at the map and aerial photo, "says Ulriksen.
Eksperter kritisk til publisering av kart med militære anlegg

Apparently(?), the map has been published on the 22nd of August (2018):
Luftbårne sensorsystemer
Google translation:
All over Norway there are military and other installations and facilities that require protection from surveillance and mapping for the sake of the security of the nation. If sensitive information about activity, security systems or other details related to such facilities and installations becomes widely known, it will weaken Norway's defense capability and / or strategic advantage on its own territory.

At and around such installations and facilities there are established areas where restrictions are imposed, including access restrictions, photo bans and prohibitions on photography / filming from the air and the use of other airborne sensors.

Violation of these provisions is punishable.

Arjen was supposed to give a lecture at a university in The Netherlands on the 24th of August:
CYBERSECURITY IN DANGER?
vrijdag 24 augustus 2018
De lezing door Arjen Kamphuis gaat wegens omstandigheden niet door. (The lecture by Arjen Kamphuis is cancelled due to circumstances.)

Digital security is of the utmost importance in a world where nearly all vital information is stored in computers and clouds. Arjen Kamphuis is a real expert in this field. He has helped secure the information systems of corporates, national government and NGO’s. His work ranges from security-awareness up to countering espionage against companies, journalists and governments. To keep up technically Kamphuis is involved with the global hacker-scene and keeps in touch with (former) employees of spy agencies and other professionals who work at the front of critical infrastructure protection.

In cooperation with Inter-Actief, Brunel, Enschede for Peace and Science Shop UT.
Nieuws | Cybersecurity in danger? | Universiteit Twente

Im sorry but this really sounds off..I do not think he would -ever- leave his belongings unguarded!

Criminals who work in gangs are very well organised,they work,at least as a trio.
One who is on the look out,the second destract and the third snatched it before you know it!

And they rob on order..most of the time..if AK took the train,..well imo he could have been seen with a load of luggage,alone..if he was robbed,it seems more likely that it happend between the train stops

As for the vessels...for me..I do not think,its going to be panned out,they all have radio on board and at least I hope the police followed these rumours and ruled it out by now

But so far,we do not know...I do hope his family gets more answers then questions!
When I am at my cabin up north, I never lock my car or cabin. When Im not there the key is hanging outside, in quite an abvious place to hide it. I put camera and pc\s worth a lot unguarded, and would have no problem doing that on a beach, in the woods etc if I thought I was going to be away for a few hours.If i leave my hat in a cafe, people will take picture of it and put it on FB; who lost their hat, found it at the kafe etc. If his luggage was unguarded for days, some people might got tempted to take it. The act of stealing or if having some connection with criminality, they would not go to the police, even if they have nothing to do with his disappearance. If so I hope they see this and give, anonymously or not, a note to the police, because then the phone signals south will make sence.

Last edited:
When I am at my cabin up north, I never lock my car or cabin. When Im not there the key is hanging outside, in quite an abvious place to hide it. I put camera and pc\s worth a lot unguarded, and would have no problem doing that on a beach, in the woods etc if I thought I was going to be away for a few hours.If i leave my hat in a cafe, people will take picture of it and put it on FB; who lost their hat, found it at the kafe etc. If his luggage was unguarded for days, some people might got tempted to take it. The act of stealing or if having some connection with criminality, they would not go to the police, even if they have nothing to do with his disappearance. If so I hope they see this and give, anonymously or not, a note to the police, because then the phone signals south will make sence.
Okay that I understand but Arjen isnt Norwegian local,and here in NL we are used to lock everything ... our car,the house...our bike so coming from Dutch roots...I do not believe he would change his habits,he lives in Amsterdam...

Could someone be so kind to post the names of the hotels again,where he stayed?
The last hotel,where he checked out was Radisson Blu hotel,if Im correct..?

The hotel in the video is Scandic Havet, but the police officer says Hotel Scandic Bodø and that is a different hotel closer to the railway station, so I have no clue why they stands outside wrong hotel... In the local newspaper they have always said and had pictures from Scandic Bodø Hotel...

Most tourists use Bodø as an gate to the Lofoten islands or to travel around in the area, not staying in town for a long periode. But I imagine the archipilago is quite nice to paddle kayak in - a lot of local people does that so maybe that was his reason to stay put.
And this one: Hotel Scandic Bodø

Was just comparing (booking.com) these hotels and the Scandic Hotels offers bicycle rental,don't know wich kind of bikes,cargo bikes..perhaps? (Try to find out by email)
But that was his first choice to stay,right? It could also that he made his decision to book there for the location or other facilities,they offer
" This waterfront hotel is located next to Bodø Harbor and 200 meters from Bodø Train Station. Free WiFi is available in all areas.
The hotel rents bicycles for exploring the area. The hotel staff is happy to recommend restaurants, bars and shops in the area. The Bodø Ferry Terminal is about 1 km from the hotel.
Trainstation 400 meters
Reception open 24/7

The other Radisson Blu hotel offers tickets public transport (surtax)
"Ideally located in Bodø's harbor area, Radisson Blu Hotel Bodø offers rooms with cable TV and free Wi-Fi. It is 200 meters from the Glasshuset Shopping Center
Bodø Airport is a 5-minute drive away. The Norwegian Aviation Museum is a 20-minute walk from the hotel.
Reception open 24/7

Last edited:
Do not want to overwhelm you with my post (wich I am doing now)
But a reply came soon after my email send
Seems that they offer good service:
"
Thank you for your email.

We offer bike rentals for free for guests at the hotel.

The kind of bikes we have is regular city bikes. No cargo or duo bikes.

Med vennlig hilsen, / Best regards,
Front Desk

Scandic Bodø

What is an.no saying? I don't recall which WS-er has access to an.no?

https://www.an.no/arjen-kamphuis/fa...egget-ha-vart-arjen-kamphuis-mal/f/5-4-868581

This is old and it has been amply discussed. See page 28 for a report about the article.

If you want to know what Lorrie or anyone wrote on this thread, go to the search window in the upper right corner, fill in the name by posted by member and tick this thread only.

As it looks like on police picture. I think so many persons would be able to assemble it without the small time consuming details, even without the internet, just som straps. It's going to be fast if the same people are going to activate a phone in Fauske around 22:00 in this scenario... Where the kayak makes it look like an accident and it is hard to turn into money, If the Rognan witness is valid, they have had an hour for planning ("normal criminals" in transit):(
someone is still questioning where it was found, in sea by privat persons and then on land by police or on land only ? Imgur https://video.twimg.com/dm_video/10...2u2ICZ5Vcy9FOhgWeBaN9oInLiiM65wuOJY.mp4?tag=1

Leder: Den mystiske forsvinningen

The circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Arjen Kamphuis will lead to speculation until he is found.

Dutchman Arjen Kamphuis (47) disappearance in Indre Salten is a mystery that has kept busy local and national media since he was reported missing on 29 August.

Already a month later, the police have found no solution.

The last traces of the 47-year-old are from Rognan and the area at Kvænflåget. Much indicates that something dramatical has happened here.

His kayak and a leather bag with money and ID papers were found here.

These are the last traces of the Dutchamn affiliated with WikiLeaks and concerned about intelligence using the internet.

He fought against this form of surveillance.

The last safe observation of him happened on August 20, when he left the hotel in Bodø and took the train to Rognan.

A woman would have seen him at Rema on Fauske the following day.

The mobile phone entered a base station at Fauske in the evening of August 20th. Ten days later another of his mobile phones was registered in Rogaland.

This makes the confusion even bigger.

The police have spent considerable resources on the investigation, and have been given assistance from the Armed Forces for search in the Skjerstadfjord. They have also been helped by Dutch police.

But still they do not know what has happened.

In Saturday's edition, Saltenposten could tell that Kamphuis's friends did not know that he was thinking about going to Bodø and Salten.

To them, he had just told them he was going to Norway.

The friends have launched a search campaign on the internet. They also think that the disappearance is mysterious.

Among other things, because his luggage is also gone.

The explanation can be so simple that the 47-year-old has become a casualty in the Skjerstadfjord.

Here people have perished before without being found.

But the background of Arjen Kamphuis and the circumstances surrounding the disappearance will lead to speculation until he is found.

The theories about what happened at the Kvæn fleet Monday evening August 20 will continue to flourish.

BBM

There is no new news. The reports move to overviews, opinions and speculation.

Leder: Den mystiske forsvinningen

The circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Arjen Kamphuis will lead to speculation until he is found.

Dutchman Arjen Kamphuis (47) disappearance in Indre Salten is a mystery that has kept busy local and national media since he was reported missing on 29 August.

Already a month later, the police have found no solution.

The last traces of the 47-year-old are from Rognan and the area at Kvænflåget. Much indicates that something dramatical has happened here.

His kayak and a leather bag with money and ID papers were found here.

These are the last traces of the Dutchamn affiliated with WikiLeaks and concerned about intelligence using the internet.

He fought against this form of surveillance.

The last safe observation of him happened on August 20, when he left the hotel in Bodø and took the train to Rognan.

A woman would have seen him at Rema on Fauske the following day.

The mobile phone entered a base station at Fauske in the evening of August 20th. Ten days later another of his mobile phones was registered in Rogaland.

This makes the confusion even bigger.

The police have spent considerable resources on the investigation, and have been given assistance from the Armed Forces for search in the Skjerstadfjord. They have also been helped by Dutch police.

But still they do not know what has happened.

In Saturday's edition, Saltenposten could tell that Kamphuis's friends did not know that he was thinking about going to Bodø and Salten.

To them, he had just told them he was going to Norway.

The friends have launched a search campaign on the internet. They also think that the disappearance is mysterious.

Among other things, because his luggage is also gone.

The explanation can be so simple that the 47-year-old has become a casualty in the Skjerstadfjord.

Here people have perished before without being found.

But the background of Arjen Kamphuis and the circumstances surrounding the disappearance will lead to speculation until he is found.

The theories about what happened at the Kvæn fleet Monday evening August 20 will continue to flourish.

BBM

There is no new news. The reports move to overviews, opinions and speculation.

I know the title of that article suggested that already
But thanks for the translation of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads