Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The night-train from Fauske is 22h, when his mobiles made connection in the area. Since he did not made any hotel-bookings, as far as known, it makes sence to take the night-train. Then AK had time between 14 and 22 to do something, for example kayaking or mountaining, for a couple of hours and nearby the station. The satelite domes are visible from Fauske harbour, maybe he wanted to have a closer look and a selfie? Did he have any appointment with somebody there ? A woman said she saw him at Rema 1000 in Fauske, a store to buy food, maybe for a tour and/or the train as the they don't offer much to eat on the night train. Another witness says she may have seen that Arjen Kamphuis was picked up by a car hitch hiking in Saltstraumen area, between 16-17h (same day i belive). Another witness says he saw him at Rognan same afternoon/evening, if so, AK could not go by train or bus back to Fauske area where his phone pinged at 22h. If a "normal" person picked him up by car he/she would have contacted the police if reading news. I would like to have some more information about the hiking-witness, anyone who has ?

Last edited:
Summary: The article questions if the radarstation at Fauske could be the place he went to. His friend Ancilla van de Leest thinks he would go there to get a selfie or something with the station in the background. She thinks it is a mystery to where the rest of the luggage is gone - why take it with him in the kayak? And the condition of the kayak isnt good.
It is also a bit about the speculations and teories on web - connection to Wikileaks, something criminal act done against him or he has been arrested. And then the pings in Indre Salten (not spesifict Fauske, but the area that covers Tussvika) and at Vikeså...
Thank you Lorrie, this regards the article https://www.an.no/arjen-kamphuis/fa...egget-ha-vart-arjen-kamphuis-mal/f/5-4-868581 (?)

How would the title be translated best?
-> "Kan-dette-spion-anlegget-ha-vart-arjen-kamphuis-mal?"
-> "Could AK have been a spy?"

EDIT: Never mind, I have managed to see the translation behind the paywall. Could this spy plant have been AK's goal?

Last edited:
Arjen was supposed to give a lecture at a university in The Netherlands on the 24th of August:
CYBERSECURITY IN DANGER?
vrijdag 24 augustus 2018
De lezing door Arjen Kamphuis gaat wegens omstandigheden niet door. (The lecture by Arjen Kamphuis is cancelled due to circumstances.)

Digital security is of the utmost importance in a world where nearly all vital information is stored in computers and clouds. Arjen Kamphuis is a real expert in this field. He has helped secure the information systems of corporates, national government and NGO’s. His work ranges from security-awareness up to countering espionage against companies, journalists and governments. To keep up technically Kamphuis is involved with the global hacker-scene and keeps in touch with (former) employees of spy agencies and other professionals who work at the front of critical infrastructure protection.

In cooperation with Inter-Actief, Brunel, Enschede for Peace and Science Shop UT.
Nieuws | Cybersecurity in danger? | Universiteit Twente
A number of renowned researchers believe two new Norwegian satellites for the high north can be attacked by Russia and China. The intelligence service fears cyberwar. -Did AK fear this too ? Did he find interest in this while spending time in the north and wanted to have a closer look at the military arenas ? – Norge kan bli dratt inn i en stjernekrig

A number of renowned researchers believe two new Norwegian satellites for the high north can be attacked by Russia and China. The intelligence service fears cyberwar. -Did AK fear this too ? Did he find interest in this while spending time in the north and wanted to have a closer look at the military arenas ? – Norge kan bli dratt inn i en stjernekrig
Perhaps Arjen feared this too. The only thing is that his name is not mentioned in this item. Only US researchers are mentioned...

Arjen has done so much good work and he has vanished. As if he never existed.

Sometimes I wonder whether he's been kind of placed in quarantine. And I wonder what the Dutch government is doing to locate him.

Thank you Lorrie, this regards the article https://www.an.no/arjen-kamphuis/fa...egget-ha-vart-arjen-kamphuis-mal/f/5-4-868581 (?)

How would the title be translated best?
-> "Kan-dette-spion-anlegget-ha-vart-arjen-kamphuis-mal?"
-> "Could AK have been a spy?"

EDIT: Never mind, I have managed to see the translation behind the paywall. Could this spy plant have AK's goal?
Kan-dette-spion-anlegget-ha-vart-arjen-kamphuis-mal?
C this spy-construction have been Arjen Kamphuis target ?
The night-train from Fauske is 22h, when his mobiles made connection in the area. Since he did not made any hotel-bookings, as far as known, it makes sence to take the night-train. Then AK had time between 14 and 22 to do something, for example kayaking or mountaining, for a couple of hours and nearby the station. The satelite domes are visible from Fauske harbour, maybe he wanted to have a closer look and a selfie? Did he have any appointment with somebody there ? A woman said she saw him at Rema 1000 in Fauske, a store to buy food, maybe for a tour and/or the train as the they don't offer much to eat on the night train. Another witness says she may have seen that Arjen Kamphuis was picked up by a car hitch hiking in Saltstraumen area, between 16-17h (same day i belive). Another witness says he saw him at Rognan same afternoon/evening, if so, AK could not go by train or bus back to Fauske area where his phone pinged at 22h. If a "normal" person picked him up by car he/she would have contacted the police if reading news. I would like to have some more information about the hiking-witness, anyone who has ?
Here it says a woman spotted him at Rema the 21st of August, if so, where did he sleep in between the 20th and 21st ? Leder: Den mystiske forsvinningen

Arjen was supposed to give a lecture at a university in The Netherlands on the 24th of August:
CYBERSECURITY IN DANGER?
vrijdag 24 augustus 2018
De lezing door Arjen Kamphuis gaat wegens omstandigheden niet door. (The lecture by Arjen Kamphuis is cancelled due to circumstances.)

Digital security is of the utmost importance in a world where nearly all vital information is stored in computers and clouds. Arjen Kamphuis is a real expert in this field. He has helped secure the information systems of corporates, national government and NGO’s. His work ranges from security-awareness up to countering espionage against companies, journalists and governments. To keep up technically Kamphuis is involved with the global hacker-scene and keeps in touch with (former) employees of spy agencies and other professionals who work at the front of critical infrastructure protection.

In cooperation with Inter-Actief, Brunel, Enschede for Peace and Science Shop UT.
Nieuws | Cybersecurity in danger? | Universiteit Twente
The date of the lecture in Enschede was September 18th. He had his first meeting in Amsterdam on August the 27th.

The date of the lecture in Enschede was September 18th. He had his first meeting in Amsterdam on August the 27th.
Thank you for your post, Family of Arjen. I wish you much strength in this ordeal.

Can you explain how the University of Twente could have already known that Arjen was missing on the 24th of August and that he was expected to remain missing for the weeks to come (until sept. 18th)?

TIMELINE: Please help correct and fill in:

06. August: AK arrives at Trondheim flyplass
10. Aug. AK checks in at Radisson Blu Bodø
17. Aug. AK checks out of Radisson Blu Bodø
17. Aug. AK checks in at Scandic Bodø (Radisson Blu was full-booked)

20. Aug. kl 14: AK checks out of Scandic Bodø with baggage
20. Aug: kl 17:30: A witness says he sees AK with a baggage in Rognan city center, just after the train from
Bodø arrived. The same witness believes to observe him about kl. 20 and 21 walk down to the shore of the wharf
area, first time with baggage, second time without bags. Is the following statement true due to signal coverage ? This can only be AK if he travelled by car from Rognan to Fauske as no train or busses went from Rognan to Fauske at that time. He did not have a drivers lisence.
20. Aug kl:22: AKs mobilephone gives signal in the Fauske area
21. Aug. A witness believes she sees AK at Rema in Fauske, at what time?
22. Aug. AK does not use its flight ticket from Trondheim to Amsterdam, what was the time for departure ?
29. Aug. AK is reported missing to the police when he has not appeared at work-when did the police go official about his missing ?
30. Aug. Signal from his mobile gives in 3 different base stations south of Stavanger. It is switched from Dutch to German SIM card, both registered on AK. The mobile phone is on for approx. 20 min. The police claim it has been opened with the SIM code. - Is this the same mobile that gave signal in Fauske ? How do they know he used a code ?
01. Sept. Paddle found in the fjord between Fauske and Rognan - given to the police two weeks afterwards
11. Sept. Daytime Fisherman finds his wallet to clip on a belt including money and ID papers in the fjord at Kvænfloget (between Fauske and Rognan) belonging to AK
11. Sept. Evening. The police find kayaks dragged on land (some media are writing by privatperson, others not) at Kvænfloget

Last edited:
Thanks for the overview @eeqaz!

From what i understood, the kayak was found by the people who use the holiday home and it had washed ashore. This from the video from Dutch evening news, made by Rolien Créton with help of Tarjei Abelsen.

@eeqaz, see writing in red. Perhaps others can pitch in:

13. Aug. AK checks out of Radisson Blu Bodø
13. Aug. AK checks in at Scandic Bodø (Radisson blu var full-booked)

20. Aug. kl 14:00 AK checks out of Scandic Bodø with baggage
20. Aug: kl 17:30: A witness says he sees AK with a baggage in Rognan city center, just after the train from Bodø arrived. The same witness believes to observe him about kl. 20 and 21 walk down to the shore of the wharf area, first time with baggage, second time without bags. Is the following statement true due to signal coverage ? This can only be AK if he travelled by car from Rognan to Fauske as no train or busses went from Rognan to Fauske at that time. He did not have a drivers lisence. By the end of September, this witness account has been classified as unreliable by police.

21. Aug. A witness believes she sees AK at Rema in Fauske, at what time? In the morning
Dagen etter, 21. august, kan et vitne ha sett Kamphuis på Fauske. Vitnet sier til Saltenposten at hun ikke er sikker, men at personen lignet 46-åringen. Observasjonen var tidlig på dagen. Her er ni svar i Arjen Kamphuis-saken

22. Aug. AK does not use its flight ticket from Trondheim to Amsterdam, what was the time for departure ?
24 Aug. University of Twente places on its website that AK’s lecture of Sept. 18th has been cancelled “due to circumstances”. How did the Uni know that Arjen was missing and that he would remain to be missing for weeks to come? (Arjen was known to prolongue his holidays by a day or so (source: Ancilla) On the 24th of Aug. Arjen had not yet been reported as missing.

29. Aug. AK is reported missing (by friends / Ancilla) to the police when he has not appeared at work-when did the police go official about his missing ?
30. Aug. Signal from his mobile gives in 3 different base stations south of Stavanger. It is switched from Dutch to German SIM card, both registered on AK. The mobile phone is on for approx. 20 min. The police claim it has been opened with the SIM code. - Is this the same mobile that gave signal in Fauske ? No, I have read somewhere (Twitter findarjen?) that it was a different phone. AK had brought TWO phones with him. The one that pinged in/at Fauske has never been found. The other pinged at Vikesa. How do they know he used a code ?
01. Sept. Paddle found in the fjord between Fauske and Rognan - given to the police two weeks afterwards
11. Sept. Daytime Fisherman finds his wallet to clip on a belt including money and ID papers in the fjord at Kvænfloget (between Fauske and Rognan) belonging to AK
11. Sept. Evening. The police find kayak dragged on land (some media are writing by privatperson, others not) at Kvænfloget

@Chiatos
About the university of Twente and their announcement of the cancellation,I saw that on (cancellation) the google newsfeed a few weeks ago,so I really think that they added/edited on the same website as soon as the news of his disappearance reached them..that it was cancelled
Cookies op tubantia.nl | tubantia.nl

Last edited:
@worldwatcher, thank you for your info and the link to Tubantia. The thing is that the website of the Uni dated the cancellation on Friday the 24th of August.
If I would be a family member of AK, I would investigate this further.

@worldwatcher, thank you for your info and the link to Tubantia. The thing is that the website of the Uni dated the cancellation on Friday the 24th of August.
If I would be a family member of AK, I would investigate this further.
Maybe I didnt make myself clear but I really think that the University put the lecture online on August 24 when Arjen would give a speech/meeting and it was updated on September 6 on the same webpage when they found out of his missing
That is was cancelled for their students to see so they knew it had been cancelled,it was a free meeting and if tickets were sold the University could reach the students or their ICT staff or other persons who would attent had interest by email but in this case they (imo) only had to use the same page from the orginal announcement so people would know..and also put it in the local newspaper for a bigger reach
I often check the time and location several times,when I am interested in these events

I do not think that the date of August 24 says that much...the university must have added his disapaerance,when they found out

@worldwatcher: in Dutch we say : op die fiets.
So the announcement was placed on August 24th and the cancellation was added at a later date.

Strange that the date of the event of 18 sept. was not mentioned anywhere in the announcement. And apparently the date-field was used as announcement-date-field.

But the date of the event has been mentioned in this announcement; Programma | Cybersecurity in danger? --> Cancelled
This time the same date-field has been used as event-date-field, not as announcement-date-field.....

Anyhow..... disregard my posts about the 24th of August. :)

@Chiatos Yes I do think that is how it went with the date.Twente and that region had the latest summervacation of the country...so they must have started for the new school year,around end of August/begin September...around the time AK was reported missing

And am not really sure @eeqaz but I did read somewhere that BOTH phones were on, on August 30th

20. Aug: kl 17:30: A witness says he sees AK with a baggage in Rognan city center, just after the train from Bodø arrived. The same witness believes to observe him about kl. 20 and 21 walk down to the shore of the wharf area, first time with baggage, second time without bags. Is the following statement true due to signal coverage ? This can only be AK if he travelled by car from Rognan to Fauske as no train or busses went from Rognan to Fauske at that time. He did not have a drivers lisence. By the end of September, this witness account has been classified as unreliable by police.

21. Aug. A witness believes she sees AK at Rema in Fauske, at what time? In the morning
Dagen etter, 21. august, kan et vitne ha sett Kamphuis på Fauske. Vitnet sier til Saltenposten at hun ikke er sikker, men at personen lignet 46-åringen. Observasjonen var tidlig på dagen. Her er ni svar i Arjen Kamphuis-saken

24 Aug. University of Twente places on its website that AK’s lecture of Sept. 18th has been cancelled “due to circumstances”. How did the Uni know that Arjen was missing and that he would remain to be missing for weeks to come? (Arjen was known to prolongue his holidays by a day or so (source: Ancilla) On the 24th of Aug. Arjen had not yet been reported as missing.

29. Aug. AK is reported missing (by friends / Ancilla) to the police when he has not appeared at work-when did the police go official about his missing ?
30. Aug. Signal from his mobile gives in 3 different base stations south of Stavanger. It is switched from Dutch to German SIM card, both registered on AK. The mobile phone is on for approx. 20 min. The police claim it has been opened with the SIM code. - Is this the same mobile that gave signal in Fauske ? No, I have read somewhere (Twitter findarjen?) that it was a different phone. AK had brought TWO phones with him. The one that pinged in/at Fauske has never been found. The other pinged at Vikesa. How do they know he used a code ?
11. Sept. Evening. The police find kayak dragged on land (some media are writing by privatperson, others not) at Kvænfloget

Thank you for corrects and adds, please continue! Hoping to understand some more of the movements here..
Starting with the first days; AK did no known bookings, travel or accommodation, between Trondheim and Bodø. If not calculating night train/busses only, this could mean he has equipment to sleep outdoor, and that he planned to sleep outdoor on his way back to Tr.heim again. If his belongings are still in the area, I belive his equipment would be in an walking distance form Fauske, in a natural place for sleep over.

Louis Kramer is a Dutch native living in Bodo. He was interviewed by Hart van Nederland earlier this week.

Louis kramer‏ @louiskramer
Louis kramer on Twitter

Dit staat in de lokale webkranten van Bodø. Een getuige heeft Arjen Kamphuis bij Saltstraumen net even buiten Bodø gezien op de 20 augustus.

This has been published in the local web papers of Bodø. A witness saw Arjen Kamphuis at Saltstraumen just outside Bodø on the 20th of August.

BBM

The local paper, Avisa Norland is behind a strict paywall. Only the front page can be viewed without payment.

Picture on the front page:

ajk.jpg

Have you seen a white station wagon?
Witness may have seen that Arjen Kamphuis was picked up in Saltstraumen

Btw, Saltstraumen is a small strait with one of the strongest tidal currents in the world. It is located in the municipality of Bodø in Nordland county, Norway. It is located about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) southeast of the town of Bodø. (Wikipedia)

Was this verified? @ZaZara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members