NV - Jeff German, 69, investigative reporter, stabbed to death, Las Vegas, Sept 2022 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The defendant’s narrative testimony continues...

@Vanessa_Murphy

Says “Holy crap!” when he says he realized the suspect vehicle was just like his.
Says he washed his cars as distraction.
Says he cut his finger while making lunch for his daughter.
Court staff trying to get pic showing cut on his finger.

Telles: I believe I would not be washing my vehicles…with serious finger injury.
Also says he wouldn’t be working out with serious finger injury.
Says he superglued the injury/finger, used scissors to cut tip of bottle, & forgot to clean blood off scissors.

Refers to search warrant being obtained, he gets pulled over on 9/7/22 after he dropped stepson to school, says officers had guns drawn on him, three police cars, scared, had no idea what was going on.
Says they yelled at him, patted him down, threw him in back of patrol car.

Says he was distraught.
Telles: I believe you heard how distraught I was about my family & wife about what they were going through.
Thought he was going to police station to give DNA, return to his vehicle & be on his way.
Learns his vehicle was towed away.

NARRATIVE TESTIMONY​

Narrative testimony attempts to tell a story about an incident or transaction without prompting by an attorney with specific questions. Whether or not to allow narrative testimony is left to the broad discretion of the trial court.{footnote}United States v. Young, 745 F.2d 733 (2d Cir. 1984).{/footnote} Most courts do not allow a witness to testify in narrative form, since opposing counsel is often denied an adequate opportunity to object before the witness says something which is inadmissable. Where narrative testimony is allowed, a prompt motion to strike is required to preserve an objection to anything inadmissable.{footnote}Silva v. Dias, 46 Cal. App. 2d 662 (1941).{/footnote}

You can generally do narrative if you're the defendant as long as you stick to the allowed topics. It's not going to help him here because the evidence is overwhelming IMO

@cathyrusson

Robert Telles is being allowed to testify in a narrative without his attorney asking any questions. I've only seen that happen with Pro Se defendants OR if an attorney knows his client is going to lie. I'm not saying that's what happened, but this is very unusual for a represented defendant to testify in the narrative.

1724289582052.png6:56 PM · Aug 21, 2024

Why is he speaking about mortgages, foreclosure, and that the extra $50K (as far as he is concerned) is due to the family? Did he forget he's the defendant in a murder trial? moo
"If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!" It looks like he's going for a true Chewbacca defense. This is the first time I've seen such a Chewbacca-y Chewbacca defense since South Park.

My transcript from livestream video below

Robert Telles testimony:

"So, first of all, and excuse me I’m just a little nervous, this is a, it’s a day I’ve been waiting for for nearly two years, this thing’s been kind of a nightmare frankly. Again, I want to thank you for being here and right now I want to say unequivocally I’m innocent, I didn’t kill Mr German, and I’ve got a lot to share with you all. Um there’s been a lot of testimony and my concern is making sure that you hear what I think about all these things and, you know, what would, you know, the concerns that I have with some of these things that have been brought up.

So, during my testimony I’m gonna be sharing opinions, um I know that, you know, folks like Zack Schilling and Mr Mogg shared their opinions with you. And these opinions were, you know, almost I guess you could say argumentative in a sense right, um, basically Zack Schilling said well you know ‘I’m an expert on shoes’ and, you know, ‘I think that those shoes um that the killer was wearing are the same ones that I’ve seen Mr Telles wearing all the time’, right?, um so he’s [inaudible @ timestamp 5.11.09] you that he’s an expert and you should believe him. And I think the same goes for Mr Mogg. Right, so I think that when I share an opinion with you, um some, you know, someone might say it’s argumentative and when I say someone I guess I specifically mean the State, um but I think that when I share an opinion with you that’s my right and it’s your right to decide whether or not you agree with my opinion or not, whether you want to adopt my opinion or not. So, I’m just hoping that, you know, my, I’m not stopped from sharing with you what I have to say.

Um, one might, I guess right off the bat I’ll share an opinion with you. Uh, the Medical Examiner testified about how Mr German was murdered, and, you know, I had to see pictures of Mr German’s body, you know, in preparation for the case, and it’s obviously, it’s ugly,
but when the Medical Examiner testified that’s the first time I had learned how Mr German was murdered. You know, you know, I think it’s, the way that he was murdered speaks to I think something or someone who knows what they’re doing, um, you know, the idea that Mr German’s throat was slashed and his heart was stabbed um, you know, I think that’s, I mean I don’t know if anybody could just do that, right, without some kind of training, without some kind of expertise. So, I mean and I’m not, I’m personally not combat trained, I’ve, you know, none of that. So, I just, it seems to me that when I heard that I thought you know, my God, you know. But, so that’s, I guess, one example of like the type of opinion I’ll be sharing with you."

My opinion - this is a trick used by liars to 'hide' or bury their main point in with a lot of other verbiage, as if it's an aside, and not their main point, because they don't want it to be so obvious, but in doing so it becomes obvious that it has been deliberately crafted to get to that point. This whole BS intro was to manipulate the jury into thinking he can't be the killer because he had no idea how Jeff German was killed until the ME testified, and secondly that this killer must have been a veteran to know that going for the neck and the heart will kill someone, and his opinion ought to weigh equally to those of the professionals because it's his right (roll eyes). Textbook deception. Not that there's not enough evidence to convict him anyways of course, but just interesting to see this same methodology play out time and time again. It's irrelevant whether it was the first or hundredth time he had heard how JG was killed to form an opinion that it must have been a trained killer, making it a huge red flag. MOO

I'm curious as to how today will play out - will his attorneys have given him advice to change his approach for today?

The back and forth arguing about objections with the judge is also not a good look but the narrative testimony is baffling, to me.

Although one thing I'm confused about - some argument about the wheels on the suspects vehicle being different to the ones on RTs vehicle? Has this been covered elsewhere in the case or any testimony come in about this? Regardless, DNA from JGs fingernails linking RT, the cut up pieces of clothing and shoes... how does all this eventually get to a not guilty verdict...?

There are pictures of both in the 48 hours documentary and they look exactly the same to me. He doesn't have a defense other than taking the stand and saying he's innocent. He has no counter evidence. IMO
Ah, have not seen the documentary so will watch that at some point. Yeah, he is bang to rights. No way out of a guilty verdict.

@kyleJpaine

As the #TellesTrial juror enters room for day two of defendant's testimony... Telles remains standing and swears the oath to tell the truth, the whole truth, repeats that his last name, phonetically, is Tey-es, which is mind boggling.

To begin day two of defendant's testimony in #TellesTrial, Telles moves to show jury a video. Objection. Prosecution w/draws objection and Telles moves from discussing corruption allegations to "suspect's" pants... which he wore with that orange get-up and straw hat.

#TellesTrial defendant, testifying for second day on his own behalf, wants to tell jury his story and discuss certain items of evidence, but like yesterday, nothing is at his fingertips. It's slowgoing. And there is no set time limit for this type of testimony.

@kyleJpaine

At #TellesTrial, defendant testifies that "killer's" jeans don't match jeans that police took off his body when he was detained, when his vehicles were impounded. Points out to jury that the police didn't take any other pants.

At #TellesTrial, Defendant testifying that he was detained, photographed, swabbed for DNA and denied an attorney because his rights were "suspended" while police conducted a search. Media was outside at home. Mentions @Vanessa_Murphy chasing him into his garage.

Didn't mention living legend @Vanessa_Murphy by name, but she is in front row at #TellesTrial and more people in courtroom know Telles is referencing her than don't know about her epic interrogation as he tries to get into his home.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LRebeccaB
Back