NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see this post, I am glad you brought it forward. Yes, very strange. You can see the racetrack in your map. Very close together.

All this time, I had imagined SK further south in Vegas....yet, he pings on one of the northernmost AT&T towers ... and the call ends up on "Rocket" tower (which I've yet to find). That indicates he's driving. Steven could have made it back to St George, as quickly as GW, then.

Has anyone else located any of the other towers?

All this time, I had imagined SK further south in Vegas....yet, he pings on one of the northernmost AT&T towers ... and the call ends up on "Rocket" tower (which I've yet to find). That indicates he's driving. Steven could have made it back to St George, as quickly as GW, then.

Has anyone else located any of the other towers?

I found this map showing towers in LV area, by several companies.

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=las vegas&state_abr=nv

I found an AT&T tower named PECOS -- I'm not seeing that site name, but the ID is 10457 and FCC ID is 1023168. As per tower logic, it's nowhere near Pecos Blvd.

PECOS Details
Site ID: 10457 FCC ID: 1023168
5380 NOVAK
LAS VEGAS, NV 89115

MAP showing location in the middle of the huge wrecking yards north of Vegas.

This hit occurred while SK was talking to GW, with GW near the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
The PECOS tower is just four miles south of the Speedway.

Far be it from me to toot my own horn but I think I called that. The "Pecos" tower is in North Las Vegas a little over a mile north from the truck stop at Craig and Pecos. On the Google Map, you can see the truck stop south of it.

I posted this a few days ago regarding the "Pecos" tower. Granted, there was some luck involved but I just had a hunch that the "Pecos" tower was not in East Vegas but in North Las Vegas. . . .

But, then I noticed something. FOREVER, we have been wondering where Steven spent the night between the 12th and 13th. Well, it just so happens that Pecos if you follow it north runs into Craig Rd. up in North Las Vegas and the largest truck stop in Las Vegas is there. It's a Pilot Truck Stop. Is that a coincidence?

See the I-15 for a long time runs parallel to Pecos but eventually the I-15 curves and it and Pecos almost meet up. And as a local I forgot all about that. Well, I knew it, I just don't go up that way much.

Follow me here. . .is it not possible, and maybe probable, Steven drives down from St. George that night. He gets tired. He pulls off the highway in North Las Vegas at that truck stop at Pecos and Craig. Very, very logical thing to do. The next morning, he gets woken up by his phone ringing. And the antenna that is being used is one right there at Pecos and Craig. It would probably be a powerful one since all the truckers stay there and talk.

So, it's GW on the phone. They talk. Then, Steven goes inside cleans up. Does this. Does that. Then, two hours later he simply gets back on the I-15 heading to SCA. Then, the next ping hits him on the I-15 when he is near Bermuda/Cactus since he is headed to the St. Rose Parkway exit which is in far south Las Vegas. And that is on his way to SCA.

I will labor to find what the "rocket" tower name could mean. I am guessing a restaurant or some kind of hobby shop.

So are we now saying that SK was not three miles away from 10am call at 8am, and both towers relatively close to SCA?

I don't understand how tower locations are determined then. I thought there was something to it, maybe not exact address, so somewehere on road, that kind of thing, but N. LV versus E. LV?

Is there any basis for this tower location to be better than previous tower location?

Just wondering... :)

rd

Some new information. . .

One of my best friends. . .known him for thirty years. . .works on E. Craig. He can see the "Pecos" cell phone tower from his work building. I called him to see if anything with the name "Rocket" was in the area. He could not think of anything but he is going to ask his vendors when they come in if they know of anything in the N. Las Vegas area that could be named "rocket" and thus the cell phone tower would get its name.

In addition, he volunteered that if Steven was coming down the I-15 that morning he would have run into a major construction area just south of Craig. So, there would be no way he was going the regular speed limit which would be like 65 in that area. It narrowed to one lane each way and was like that until February. So, if Steven was on the highway talking he would not have gotten very far even if it was 8am on a Sunday. So, if the call started on the "Pecos" tower and end on the "rocket" tower, then the towers are very close to each other given the short length of the call and Steven's reduced driving speed IF he was on the I-15.

Do you suppose SK might have been in Henderson to help somebody move? He might have parked the car so he could drive or travel in a rented U-Haul or in the other person's car. Maybe a relative of a friend, or something. That's something that might even be a "$100, free meal, and gas" payment.

I notice that there's a large storage facility just off the intersection of I-515 and Russell where the last two pings came from.

Extra Space Storage - Self Storage Henderson
1051 North Stephanie Street
Henderson, NV 89014
(702) 436-6066

If you Google directions from Savannah Springs to the storage facility, it looks like you'd be going in the vicinity of most of those towers.

What happened after? That I couldn't begin to guess.

There is a storage facility near Cactus and Bermuda also. Address is on Bermuda.

There is a quarry on Cactus between Bermuda and Maryland Parkway also. Just throwing this fact in the pot.

So are we now saying that SK was not three miles away from 10am call at 8am, and both towers relatively close to SCA?

I don't understand how tower locations are determined then. I thought there was something to it, maybe not exact address, so somewehere on road, that kind of thing, but N. LV versus E. LV?

Is there any basis for this tower location to be better than previous tower location?

Just wondering... :)

rd

What I think happened was that everyone got confused by where that particular tower point was put on the Google Map. And if you don't live here, you may not understand how the streets work here.

The Pecos tower mark was put on Pecos Road in an area near where Pecos goes into Henderson. However, that was just a guess. A good guess because most of the other calls are in that general area. BUT, that original plot point is wrong.

We now know that the "Pecos" tower, through a hunch from me and research by laytonian, is actually on the opposite side of the city. The tower mark should not be in South Vegas/Henderson, where it was originally put. It should be firmly in N. Las Vegas, about ten miles away. Pecos starts in N. Las Vegas (where the tower is), runs directly south through the City of Las Vegas and Clark County and ends in Henderson, turning into St. Rose Parkway which loops around to the I-15. You can see how it runs in the Google satellite photos.

So, Steven got his first call when he was near the Pecos tower in N. Las Vegas. Then, then the call ends with him at a tower called Rocket. Then, two hours later, the next call is in the Southern Highlands area. . .that is technically Southwest Las Vegas. And ends in the Cactus/Bermuda area. . .those streets are to the east of the I-15, Southern Highlands is directly on the opposite of the I-15 from them. That makes sense because the call was not long. Hence, the towers are very close to each other.

I guess no one else thought this was interesting?

It kinda does two things:

Shows Steven was coming IN to Vegas, since that tower is on the very outskirts .... and it's a strange coincidence about two people talking to each other while literally passing each other on I-15. Especially two people from the same town, both in another town.

Laytonian, Sorry, I caught this too, but didn't respond. I kinda gave a WOW! Just didn't know what to say.

Some new information. . .

One of my best friends. . .known him for thirty years. . .works on E. Craig. He can see the "Pecos" cell phone tower from his work building. I called him to see if anything with the name "Rocket" was in the area. He could not think of anything but he is going to ask his vendors when they come in if they know of anything in the N. Las Vegas area that could be named "rocket" and thus the cell phone tower would get its name.

In addition, he volunteered that if Steven was coming down the I-15 that morning he would have run into a major construction area just south of Craig. So, there would be no way he was going the regular speed limit which would be like 65 in that area. It narrowed to one lane each way and was like that until February. So, if Steven was on the highway talking he would not have gotten very far even if it was 8am on a Sunday. So, if the call started on the "Pecos" tower and end on the "rocket" tower, then the towers are very close to each other given the short length of the call and Steven's reduced driving speed IF he was on the I-15.
'

Is that a Rocket gas station that is just east of the I-15 off of Craig or maybe Cheyenne. I may have the name totally wrong, but it's across from a Burger King on the north side of the street. There's a Taco Bell just east of the gas station.

Laytonian, Sorry, I caught this too, but didn't respond. I kinda gave a WOW! Just didn't know what to say.

Nice catch on that guys. . .uh. . .girls. I missed it myself. I think GW's explanation of that call just went right out the window. We always thought his recollection of that call was lame. I guess we underestimated how lame it really was.

What does it mean? Could that have been a "meetup" call and that is the reason it was so short? Was GW the one who gave Steven directions to SCA? DId GW hook Steven up with someone?

Now our imaginations are just going to run wild. . .

Cannot find the actual name of this gas station/truck stop, but it's just off of I-15 & Craig Rd. cross street to north is Mitchell St, and the cross street becomes N. Pecos to the south of Craig. The truck stop portion one can see on mapquest, and it's on the back of the property.

Cannot find the actual name of this gas station/truck stop, but it's just off of I-15 & Craig Rd. cross street to north is Mitchell St, and the cross street becomes N. Pecos to the south of Craig. The truck stop portion one can see on mapquest, and it's on the back of the property.

That is a Pilot Truck Stop. It's the one I mentioned in my post. It is on Craig at the I-15. Have been in that truck stop MANY, MANY, MANY times when my brother was a truck driver. Prostitutes all over that place. Nasty ones.

There is another truck stop down at Cheyenne and the I-15 but it is on the opposite side of the I-15.

Sorry to be such a nut, but Rocket is ringing a bell with me. I'll sit on this, and ask some friends. Sorry to leave you all hanging, but I just got a call requesting I be a taxi driver/designated driver for a few friends who have been drinking too much.

That is a Pilot Truck Stop. It's the one I mentioned in my post. It is on Craig at the I-15. Have been in that truck stop MANY, MANY, MANY times when my brother was a truck driver. Prostitutes all over that place. Nasty ones.

There is another truck stop down at Cheyenne and the I-15 but it is on the opposite side of the I-15.

Gotcha Fasteddy...you are so right!

Rocket fuel factory fire
Main article: PEPCON disaster
In 1988, the PEPCON rocket fuel factory became engulfed in fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

This was called the rocket factory, I haven't put it on a map, so not sure where exactly it is other than Henderson.

Rocket would refer to the old PEPCON rocket fuel plant in Henderson.

rd

Unfortunately, most of the people who live here don't even know where the plant used to be or that it even blew up. Moreover, the people who live in the apartments that sit right on that ground now for sure don't even know it.

But for anyone that is interested, the site used to be around the area of Stephanie/Wigwam and Gibson/Wigwam. You will see how many buildings that are there now. But, in the original video of that explosion there is absolutely nothing there except for PEPCON and a marshmallow plant that got leveled in the blast. Just shows you how big Vegas and Henderson have gotten since 1989 when it happened. Any true local will tell you where they were when the thing went off. . .it left quite an impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlitedragon