NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the COs were sleeping on the job the night before as well (dry run), and the night before that

and the night before that and

the night before that and...

Six months. But Matt didn't get the hacksaw blades and drill bits until six days before they escaped:

"Prison tailor shop supervisor Joyce Mitchell, who has been charged with helping Matt and David Sweat escape, asked Palmer on Friday, May 29, to get a package of frozen meat from a freezer and deliver it to Matt’s cell the next day, Brockway said."
http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...cle_2758483e-1a85-11e5-90eb-0f67165d3ecb.html

So what did they use six months ago to saw through their cell walls, which enabled them to get onto the catwalks to get to the power tools they used on the steam pipe? And who gave them THOSE saws?

And not to be forgotten... Who gave them the blueprints or layout of the bowels of the prison? Someone did. They knew exactly where to climb down from six floors up, knew if they broke through that brick wall they could get to that steam pipe, knew exactly which pipe to saw though, knew exactly where to saw out of the pipe to put them directly under the manhole, and knew they could cut a lock from the inside to remove the manhole cover.

Sweat can claim only Tillie helped all he wants, but it's very clear they had way more help.

I bet there's a book in the prison library with PRISON BLUEPRINTS embossed in gold on the front cover

Isn't it SOP to remove the top officials during any investigation in both government & the private sector?
..... I am still rattled to learn that murderers were wearing street clothes, cooking in their cells & living in an "Honor Block." IMO if you have committed such a serious crime that society had to separate you from the rest of us, you by golly, deserve real prison. No extras because your family sends money for snacks & personal tvs. And by the way, killing & dismembering your boss IS a heinous crime.

As a very young child, I remember seeing chain-gang convicts clearing the roadside with scythes. And the guards were nearby with their rifles pointed at them. Sweating in the hot Georgia sun or freezing in the cold wind, was a bit more incentive to stay on the right side of the law than hot wings & movie night on the old cell block. GMAB!

I would like to see convicts working, if it's just digging holes & covering them back up. Real physical labor, not sewing class/bumping uglies in climate controlled buildings. I'll have to look into it now & I WILL be contacting elected officials to advocate for harsher penalties, but in my state, car tags used to be produced by inmates. And I think they did make prison uniforms, work in the kitchen, laundry or somewhere. Every able-bodied person had a job. Hopefully they were supervised closely enough to not allow that extra-curricular activity.

If the bleeding hearts want to give them an incentive plan, let them come in off the chain gang a couple hours early on Friday & maybe even allow them to see a tv show. I suggest Telletubbies.

I don't mind my tax dollars used for someone to learn vocational skills while incarcerated for minor offenses. That's very different.

I needed to unload. I'll step down off my bandbox now.

They didn't work nights. She and Lyle worked the same shift, days, and drove both ways together in the same car. On the way home from work they had dinner then she got chest pains so he took her to the hospital where she spent the night and he went home.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/husband-pr...ll-accused-helping-convicts/story?id=31865459

"On the night of the escape, Dumas said, the couple left work, "drove through town, stopped at the Chinese restaurant here in town, had dinner, drove home. As they were driving home Joyce said she was having some chest pains, some flushing in her face, so he decided he was going to take her to the hospital."

According to Clinton County District Attorney Andrew Wylie, Joyce Mitchell had planned to meet Matt, 48, and Sweat, 35, at a power plant near the prison the night of their escape and expected to drive them to a wooded area about seven hours away. In addition, Joyce Mitchell had talked to Matt and Sweat about killing her husband, who also worked at the prison, Wylie said.

In the end, though, instead of driving the getaway car, Mitchell checked herself into a hospital, complaining of a panic attack, Wylie said. "

"When Lyle Mitchell got back home from the hospital, he "slept for about four hours, came back to the hospital and spent the morning with Joyce," Dumas said. "Subsequently, the police started contacting him, started asking some questions. At that point, he didn't realize Joyce was involved. He just thought they were just following up on all the employees in the area." "

Jumping off your post, how did Lyle Mitchell ever obtain a driver's license if he couldn't read or write???

I was under the impression that only RM had the cutout from behind his bed? (this was
stated by a guest contributor on CNN) hmmm... I guess they both did. that makes more since... I kept wondering how DS would get into RM's room each night.

How did they get the green paint to touch up cutout? wouldn't the cell have had a strong odor off fresh paint.

They both did, but I believe Matt cut his first from inside his cell and then cut Sweat's from the catwalk.

18532211692_1839ce8bf9.jpg

http://blog.timesunion.com/newsnow/tweets-timelines-and-video-from-the-manhunt-on-sunday/582/

There is an old saying that a good boss delegates authority because it is impossible for the head of a large institution be involved with every important detail in the running of a large company or institution. IMO, this is true. However the problem is selecting the right people for the delegated authority. Probably most of us here have, at one time or another in our life, been deceived or harmed by someone we trusted explicitly. We need to select our subordinates carefully & not just blindly assume they are dutifully performing their jobs correctly.

So the COs were sleeping on the job the night before as well (dry run), and the night before that

and the night before that and

the night before that and...

I want to create a list of all the "jaw droppers" that this case has. The list is huge at this point. Things like:

-Employee helping smuggle in hacksaw blades
-Employee helping smuggle in frozen dinners and hand delivered to cell.
-COs allowing inmates to work behind their own wall to rig up electric to cell
-Inmates allowed to have a lucrative art sale/trade business for favors
-Widespread Heroin smuggling and use in the prison
-Guards COs sleeping on the job. This 1 is amazing. Cant guard inmates too well while sleeping.
-Employee having sex with inmates

And the list goes on and on and on.

I can only imagine what we dont know. Yet!!!

Jumping off your post, how did Lyle Mitchell ever obtain a driver's license if he couldn't read or write???

I've only seen that reported by the Daily Mail who stated it came from an unnamed source. The source claimed that a friend went with Lyle to help him fill-out his job application bc he had difficulty reading & writing. IOW, the info is from a gossiper imo

That then somehow morphed into Lyle being both unable to read and unable to write.

Per CNN Palmer would bring in photos of his camping trips. Casual convo. Clothing Sweat and Matt wore were taken from Cabins which made it difficult for the dogs. They were getting scent from the stolen clothing.

Per CNN Palmer would bring in photos of his camping trips. Casual convo. Clothing Sweat and Matt wore were taken from Cabins which made it difficult for the dogs. They were getting scent from the stolen clothing.

How lucky for them they were able to find fatigues that fit them perfectly! :rolleyes:

Anyone else besides me find it suspicious that the camouflage clothing was not reported missing from any cabin like the shotgun from the first and the boots from the last were?

7 Eyewitness News ‏@WKBW 15m15 minutes ago

#DavidSweat tells DA he didn’t use power tools - only hacksaw blade - to cut thru prison’s steel walls http://bit.ly/1R2qm1m
#PrisonBreakNY

Sweat says he didn't use any power tools at all:

Authorities said the pair used the tools to cut through steel walls in the maximum-security prison and then cut through a steam pipe to shimmy to freedom.

But Sweat tells a different story. He says he did not use power tools - only a hacksaw blade...

http://www.wkbw.com/news/sweat-tells-da-he-started-making-escape-in-january

Sweat also claims he didn't pick any lock on contractor's toolbox that was left in the catwalk.

No I'm not surprised by the clothing. We dont know exactly how many cabins they broke into and most folk leave things like that behind. If they were not a perfect fit I'm sure they were happy to have some protection from the elements.

I think they were very close to the prison on Wed or Thursday after the early Sat. morning escape. The dogs hit on their scent at the Mobile station (1 mile from prison, and also 1/2 mile from Palmer's house) and followed it east out into the woods, where they found a place where someone had laid down in the grass and there were food wrappers consistent with what was sold at the prison commissary. Then there were several sightings in the Cringle Road area about 8 miles or so from the prison. I believe they may have possibly been staying on Palmer's property, or in the general area, and may have been trying to make it east to the rail line (which would have taken them into Canada), but then things got too hot in that area -- LE were swarming. So, then they made their way west to the Owl's Head cabin. Possibly had help from Palmer, but also may have just followed the power lines west -- the first part of that trek would have taken them through wilderness area where few roads, so little chance of detection. The downside would be not much food sources, but if they were following the power lines they could have made pretty good time, and the power lines go fairly close behind the cabin. They may have hung out at the Owls Head cabin for maybe up to a week, confident that they were between hunting seasons, so unlikely anyone would come to the cabin.

I'm just catching up on the 13 or so pages in the last 11 or so hours. Is this food wrapper thing common knowledge? I don't remember reading that they were consistent with commissary wrappers.

IMO they were travelling on their own. Had they had outside help in the woods I would expect to have seen more weapons and better provisions. Common for cabins and cottages to have maps. Many maps especially hunting cabins.

I'm just catching up on the 13 or so pages in the last 11 or so hours. Is this food wrapper thing common knowledge? I don't remember reading that they were consistent with commissary wrappers.

It was stated early in when this story broke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member