NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When my husband heard about the pepper, he roared and said that was straight out of 'Cool Hand Luke' with Paul Newman (1967).

I read up a bit on medical status (edit: only a bit; I'm not at all an expert), and apparently "critical" isn't always as immediately life-threatening as the public perception of the word is. Also, sometimes when a patient is moved from one hospital to another (or looked at by different doctors) the patient's medical status may officially change while in reality he has not become any better or worse off.

You have to have "will to live".

I read up a bit on medical status (edit: only a bit; I'm not at all an expert), and apparently "critical" isn't always as immediately life-threatening as the public perception of the word is. Also, sometimes when a patient is moved from one hospital to another (or looked at by different doctors) the patient's medical status may officially change while in reality he has not become any better or worse off.
You are correct Dreamwanderer.

I am so glad that they got him and it's no longer a concern. Good job LE. :seeya:

I have been following along with this I promise. I didn't miss it!
I had some final baby prep to do today and I had to go pick up some things.
But I have been here, no more in labor than yesterday. :baby:

Still hoping that he will stay put at least another 10 days or longer. :baby:
I promise I will leave a note when I head to the hospital. I won't leave you all hanging.
If I disappear just check my recent posts and you'll find an update, I promise! :seeya:

Good luck - I will be thinking of you.

One would assume that, yes. Did you watch the presser? The doctor began by saying a decision regarding surgery is premature.

I think they were trying to get him stable so they could perform surgery. It could still go either way - stable or die.

There is a a lot of talk about Sweat and Matt working the guards over for years about the terrain, the hunting cabins, the paths, the whole geography of the area. They both had a really good idea of what they were getting into with plan B. These guys were slick, the timing was right down to the right day of the year.

""I hope he will be OK and he just stays there where he belongs," she said. "I have always told my kids you do the crime you do the time." She said David had often given her trouble while he was growing up.

<snip>

Pamela Sweat said she always wanted to see her son while he was in prison, but could not make the drive because of injuries.

If she could speak to her son now, she said, she knows what she would say.

"I love you," she said. "I always have and I always will. If I can see you, I will.""

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/...444959/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So many victims, including his family. As soon as the pic of him shot was published, I thought of his Mom. As a parent you flash back to the day your son was born and was so loved. When they are suffering, you feel their pain no matter how they turned out later in life. He is still her baby. I have a son who is 37 and never in trouble with the law, however, I think he is kind of an axxhole, but if I saw him in that picture, it would kill me..

--PS. Vermont State Police issued a statement praising NY LE for their work and not mentioning their own. That's Vermont. :) The officer who took Matt down was 100%, for a fact, Vermont LE working Border Patrol (my SIL is Vermont LE....horse's mouth, so to speak). Given all those joining forces to help out, it could have ended up being any one from a lot of places, but....it wasn't. Good job, VT LE.
It was stated in the media by AP News, Saracuse.com news and a few others 2 days ago on June 26, 2015 at 6:59 PM that the Border Patrol Officer is from Vermont.

Saracuse.com said:
MALONE, N.Y. (AP) — One of two convicted murderers who staged a brazen escape from an upstate maximum-security prison three weeks ago was shot and killed Friday in a gunbattle with law enforcement officers in a wooded area about 30 miles from the prison, and the other is on the run.

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, who was briefed by the U.S. Border Patrol and U.S. Marshals Service, said Richard Matt was fatally shot by a Border Patrol agent from Vermont. Officers are trucking in floodlights to where David Sweat is believed to be hiding, not far from where Matt was killed.

So relieved for the people in the area that they can finally get back to their normal routines without having to worry about being ambushed by these two! Congratulations and good job LE! What would we do without you?

Appears to be one of the first photos of Sweat after his capture, perhaps before emergency personal arrived.

Screen_Shot_2015_06_29_at_12_06_32_AM.png

Sheriff: Prison escapee David Sweat shot, taken to hospital
TIMES STAFF AND JOHNSON NEWSPAPERS
PUBLISHED: SUNDAY, JUNE 28, 2015 AT 4:10 PM
UPDATED: SUNDAY, JUNE 28, 2015 AT 9:57 PM

CONSTABLE — David Sweat, the second of two convicted killers who staged an elaborate escape from Clinton Correctional Facility three weeks ago, has been shot and taken into custody.

New York State Police Superintendent Joseph D’Amico said at 3:20 p.m. Sunday, Sgt. Jay Cook spotted a suspicious man walking down a roadway in the town of Constable.

The state police officer, who was by himself at the time, opened fire around 3:30 p.m. after the man, proven to be Clinton Correctional Facility escapee David Sweat, ran from him toward a tree line near the Canadian border after refusing a command to stop. D’Amico said Sgt. Cook was by himself when he shot and wounded Sweat and the men may have used pepper to mask their trail. He said DNA was recovered from pepper shakers found at one suspected camp.

Sweat was taken into police custody alive, then taken to Alice Hyde Medical Center in Malone for treatment of his injuries. Sweat was not armed when he was taken into custody.

Franklin County Sheriff Kevin A. Mulverhill said Sweat was shot near the intersection of Poplar Street and Coveytown Road in the town of Constable. He said Sweat is expected to be transported to an Albany hospital sometime Sunday evening. A trauma unit is standing by.

Read more: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/...e-david-sweat-shot-taken-to-hospital-20150628

they said EMTs, radiologists, trauma doctors, vascular surgeons, critical care doctors are all working on him.

I bet one shot was close to the heart. JMO

I was thinking maybe they hit a lung...?

So relieved for the people in the area that they can finally get back to their normal routines without having to worry about being ambushed by these two! Congratulations and good job LE! What would we do without you?

Are you kidding? How was it a good job after 3 weeks? I'd say the two escapees did a better job staying away from the 1000 or so LE after them.

So many victims, including his family. As soon as the pic of him shot was published, I thought of his Mom. As a parent you flash back to the day your son was born and was so loved. When they are suffering, you feel their pain no matter how they turned out later in life. He is still her baby. I have a son who is 37 and never in trouble with the law, however, I think he is kind of an axxhole, but if I saw him in that picture, it would kill me..

It's nice to read a post with a little compassion.

Are you kidding? How was it a good job after 3 weeks? I'd say the two escapees did a better job staying away from the 1000 or so LE after them.

It all seems so easy sitting behind a computer screen.

One would assume that, yes. Did you watch the presser? The doctor began by saying a decision regarding surgery is premature.

Did this doctor actually examine him? Considering Sweat was shot twice in the torso and losing blood, I fail to see why a doctor would think that a surgery can be avoided.

I was thinking maybe they hit a lung...?

Looks like it from another pic I saw too. Looks like a shot from left upper back through left upper chest which probably punctured the left upper lung resulting in a pneumothorax and/or hemothorax. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/424547-overview
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2047916-overview They prob put a chest tube in and will do surgery if he continues bleeding. Jeesh, just a little more to the left and they would have killed him by hitting the heart and major vessels. I don't know where the second shot hit but when you think of all of the major organs and vessels encapsulated in the torso->wow!

It's real life, not the movies. Nobody else was killed or harmed. One is dead and one is in custody. LE did an excellent job.

It all seems so easy sitting behind a computer screen.

Not really. They got M&S. Period. As far as it being a good job. I don't think it was. And it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these crack LE people are not real proud of the job they did, especially when you add up the cost, etc. <modsnip>

Appears to be one of the first photos of Sweat after his capture, perhaps before emergency personal arrived.

Screen_Shot_2015_06_29_at_12_06_32_AM.png

Eek! McAfee virus protector gave me a RED warning when I went to look at that picture (I don't know why?)! :thinking:

I did get a look at it before the warning, though. It's a long shot of the one of Sweat with the men in latex gloves holding onto him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413