NY NY - Chaim Weiss, 15, Long Beach, 1 Nov 1986

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Found this link concerning a different elderly Jewish couple that were also bludgeoned to death several years after Chaim's death...

Published Nov. 22 1992
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/22/nyregion/75-year-sentence-in-slaying-of-elderly-couple.html

"Judge Anthony Kane of Sullivan County Court said Anthony Burton committed "almost unspeakable violence" last year by killing 75-year-old Eliezer Papier and his 67-year-old wife, Miriam, in their summer bungalow in Kiamesha Lake. The couple, Polish Jews who had survived the Holocaust, lived in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn.

The authorities said Mr. and Mrs. Papier were bludgeoned to death with a hammer and a vase on July 8, 1991".

In this case, a 24 year old kitchen worker was found responsible for the killings.
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/18/nyregion/hotel-worker-held-in-catskills-killings.html

No coincidence in my mind.
An exterminator.
Perhaps he was part of a group of neo-nazi's.

Where was he living or frequented when Chaim was murdered?

Thank you but, do you have a source for the second thing? I'm not saying you're making it up but I'd like to read more about it.

I agree. I think there's a chance of a copycat but it seems more likely that if there were similarities between the crimes that the perp was the same. I think it's too lazy to dismiss the idea of them being linked just because the other murders took place in private residences and the victims were much older than Chaim. Sometimes there's no pattern other than location, sometimes there are patterns that aren't so obvious and IMO they should be looked into.

I wonder if LE ever discussed that possibility, I'd be interested in knowing what they said.

Do we know who the victims of the murders that happened around that time were?

Veidt, What the Medical Examiner found remarkable was that Chaim's head wounds were pretty much identical to one of the other murder victims. It sounds like the ME thought it was the same killer.... i have not been able to get any info about the other two victims.

Further back in this thread there is a news article with much detail, and that is where this information about the other two victims comes from. I do not make up information in my posts. what on earth would be the point in doing such a thing ? liz.

Veidt, What the Medical Examiner found remarkable was that Chaim's head wounds were pretty much identical to one of the other murder victims. It sounds like the ME thought it was the same killer.... i have not been able to get any info about the other two victims.

Further back in this thread there is a news article with much detail, and that is where this information about the other two victims comes from. I do not make up information in my posts. what on earth would be the point in doing such a thing ? liz.

I didn't think you were making it up, that's why I said I wasn't saying you were, so don't worry. I just wanted to know if you could find the source so I could read it and see if anything else stood out to me. If it's in this thread then I'll go looking for it when I have some spare time to go through all the pages again.

I'm trying to search for any murders in the area at the time of Chaim's death. I haven't been able to find the cases newspapers refer to other than in articles about Chaim's death. Everything I've found has been about Long Beach in California not Long Beach New York.

Found this link concerning a different elderly Jewish couple that were also bludgeoned to death several years after Chaim's death...

Published Nov. 22 1992
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/22/nyregion/75-year-sentence-in-slaying-of-elderly-couple.html

"Judge Anthony Kane of Sullivan County Court said Anthony Burton committed "almost unspeakable violence" last year by killing 75-year-old Eliezer Papier and his 67-year-old wife, Miriam, in their summer bungalow in Kiamesha Lake. The couple, Polish Jews who had survived the Holocaust, lived in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn.

The authorities said Mr. and Mrs. Papier were bludgeoned to death with a hammer and a vase on July 8, 1991".

In this case, a 24 year old kitchen worker was found responsible for the killings.
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/18/nyregion/hotel-worker-held-in-catskills-killings.html

Thank you for sharing this info. I wouldn't rule a connection despite the perp's age, he would have been 19 around 1986 so it seems possible. Are the two areas close enough together? This guy may have travelled or moved but in Chaim's case, IIRC the other murders that took place around the same time were in the same area.

This is concerning the recent murder of a Hasidic Jew from the area..

[video=youtube;G2Aas_7FU8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Aas_7FU8Y[/video]

This horrific murder in the news has nothing to do with Chaim's case, however it shares a few common denominators, imo fwiw.
It occurred on Halloween and the victim, a young woman was bashed on the head repeatedly ( with a flashlight).
The killer, as in CW's case, was very bold, imo. in that other people were not far away.
Taylor's screams were heard, but disregarded by some because it was Halloween night.
The perp. was protected by his father...

initialed and bbm.

"N B, a custodian at the nearby elementary school, was visiting Burylo at the time and also heard one scream. She said it was “high-pitched,” as if somebody was trying to “scare you really bad.” Since it was Halloween night, she gave it no further thought, she said. "

See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/taylor...ls-murder-trial-1.922557#sthash.VLb2GEbL.dpuf

Prayers for Chaim and his family.
God give someone the wisdom and courage to speak.

bbm
Wonder if the hair or hairs, can be compared to relatives of the now deceased school janitor?

http://hamodia.com/2013/05/28/da-reopens-baffling-tragedy-of-chaim-weiss-zl/

"Detective Vincent Garcia said that there were some hairs and other things which he declined to identify that may be used for DNA evidence. While in 1986 it was considered unviable to extract evidence, it may be usable now. But he said that testing for DNA destroys the evidence, and “I’m unwilling to destroy that evidence until I’m sure.”

One clue came when a jogger reported seeing an unidentified individual sitting at the beach several blocks away from the yeshivah early that fateful morning. But all efforts to find out who that individual may have been have proved unsuccessful.

Vincent Garcia said that police are still looking into all possibilities, including one theory involving a janitor in the building, described as troubled, who was no longer employed soon after the tragedy. He had an alibi at the time but has since returned to his native Poland. Police have questioned him and are continuing to speak to his family, since he is no longer alive.

Although a polygraph test was administered to most, if not all, of the staff and students on a voluntary basis, not a shred of additional information came out of it.

The questions asked at the time remain to this day. Sadly, no one has come forward with a clue, an idea, an answer, even an untoward occurrence that they saw, even if it may have no significance.

Do you know something? An anxious family is waiting for you to contact Crime Stoppers and share whatever information you may have, even if you believe it has no significance"

Hoping that after all the hoopla about reopening this case, there would be an update of some kind.
Could the silence mean LE have a suspect in mind but just need to dot all the i's and cross the t's?
What about the one hair that was found at the scene, have they decided to go ahead and test it?
Speaking about that one hair, how is it that only one hair was found at what must have been a messy crime scene?
Was the perp bald??

imo.

Hoping that after all the hoopla about reopening this case, there would be an update of some kind.
Could the silence mean LE have a suspect in mind but just need to dot all the i's and cross the t's?
What about the one hair that was found at the scene, have they decided to go ahead and test it?
Speaking about that one hair, how is it that only one hair was found at what must have been a messy crime scene?
Was the perp bald??

imo.

Maybe he wore a hat or something like that? Or, I guess, he could've been bald.

Nothing new, except oddly enough, this recently posted episode of Unsolved Mysteries, dubbed in Spanish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQGanbUUTK8

" Published on Sep 30, 2014

Misterios Sin Resolver Serie de los Noventa en español, con Robert Stack"

Having just learned of this case, it's my hope that there will be justice for Chaim and a measure of comfort for his family. I would not assume to have any idea what his family has endured, but I hope that they can realize that despite all the horrors of this world, there are good people who care! As a person of faith, I believe that the good will prevail, that love triumphs over hate, and that, with God, all things are possible.

Bumping for Chaim and wondering why we have heard no further appeals for information from the public, from LE or Chaim's father?

Was the perp bald??

It seems so impossible - but it happens more often than I even realised that killers can go into a house, spend time there, commit heinous acts of violence and not leave even a trace of DNA or a fingerprint behind them. There's several cases now, where I have seen this happen, DNA is 'too small a sample' or 'mixed tiny fragments' or whatever, and there's NO fibres or hairs at all.

I think Chaim's killer must have got in out real quick, it's not like it was an isolated location and the risk of someone seeing or hearing something, if not the crime, then his coming and going, must have been high. The less time spent there, the less risk he'd run of leaving bits of himself behind. And if he went there with a plan to kill, perhaps he was covered up to make sure he wasn't shedding evidence - gloves, maybe a head covering..

Even the hair might tell police nothing - if there's not a root tag attached to it, I believe getting usable dna is difficult? (I might be wrong there..) And even then, if the killer is not on any database anywhere, it's useless unless a suspect is identified.

I have see SO many cold cases get resolved this year, some I never dreamed would *ever* get solved after three, four decades went by... I have much more faith now, that some day Chaim's killer (and many more like him) will be brought to justice.

Stopping by Chaim's thread to post a prayer that during this holy season, that someone finds it in their heart to speak up give Chaim's family the answers and closure that they have been praying for. If there is a tortured soul reading this who has knowledge of Chaim's passing, I would send you the blessing of courage and righteousness to speak up, even anonymously.

I am convinced there are those who know what happened, but have been too fearful to come forward. As such, their lives have been filled with turmoil, fear, and unhappiness. I would encourage them to speak and unburden their soul.

Stopping by Chaim's thread to post a prayer that during this holy season, that someone finds it in their heart to speak up give Chaim's family the answers and closure that they have been praying for. If there is a tortured soul reading this who has knowledge of Chaim's passing, I would send you the blessing of courage and righteousness to speak up, even anonymously.

I am convinced there are those who know what happened, but have been too fearful to come forward. As such, their lives have been filled with turmoil, fear, and unhappiness. I would encourage them to speak and unburden their soul.

Also thinking about Chaim and his family at this time and hoped to express in some way, what you have succinctly and beautifully, done.

On this holy Christmas day, I am praying to the angels for intercession to help reveal answers of Chaim's passing to his beloved family. I would also ask our merciful Lord to help these good people find closure, and justice. God Bless.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back