NY NY - Chaim Weiss, 15, Long Beach, 1 Nov 1986

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Speculation, imo.

Chaim is one of those cases that haunts a person!
Very interested to know how the investigation has proceeded since the renewed media interest in recent years.
Have they decided to take a chance and test the one hair retrieved at the scene of the crime?

Thinking again how little dna seems to have been found, could there be any chance at all, that Chaim was murdered elsewhere and returned to his bed?
Could that explain why a dorm room door was apparently briefly opened, was the killer looking for the appropriate empty room, to return Chaim after death?
What if Chaim was not deceased at that point, but severely hurt, perhaps accidentally and then placed in his own bed?

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/05/more_than_26_years_later_fathe.html
rbbm.

"Chaim was last seen by a fellow student at 1:25 a.m. According to a 1990 report from Newsday, a dorm counselor found him, dressed in his pajamas, after he didn't show at Sabbath services. His window was found open, the shade raised and draped over itself, and an autopsy showed that soon after his slaying, his body had been moved from the bed to the floor, according to the Newsday report. A few days later, a lighted religious candle appeared in his room, Newsday reported.

The slaying sparked tensions initially, with militant Jewish groups conducting armed patrols around the school, but an FBI profile later suggested that the killer was someone Chaim knew well, and was possibly around his age."

<<<snip >>>

"Detectives have DNA evidence from the scene -- a strand of hair, according to a report in Newsday -- but are reluctant to test it and potentially destroy the sample, until they have someone to compare it to, Azzata said."

The lock on the door to the school was broken, was it just a fluke coincidence that a terrible crime took place, at that very time?
Who, besides the people associated with the school, would know ahead of the time that the lock was broken?
Thinking that either somebody told someone about the lock, or the perp had been checking out the place beforehand, maybe even trying the locks on a number of doors in the community and not specifically that one.

Wondering why the lock was broken in the first place?

It must have been one strong teen to inflict that much damage, based on the info we have heard. If the FBI think it was a fellow teen, then this case becomes all the more solvable. Who had such a grudge? It really is time for those boys to speak up. Grown men now. How can you live knowing you have knowledge of what happened?

It must have been one strong teen to inflict that much damage, based on the info we have heard. If the FBI think it was a fellow teen, then this case becomes all the more solvable. Who had such a grudge? It really is time for those boys to speak up. Grown men now. How can you live knowing you have knowledge of what happened?

Chaim was apparently quite athletic and enjoyed basketball. Did he play against someone that he had words with and perhaps felt humiliated by Chaim?
Did he make disparaging comments against an opposing school's team?
Did he win a sporting bet of some kind?

Athletes tend to be strong, young, competitive and sometimes, violent... imo.

There were rabbis (only a few) who went into Chaim's room. But, maybe they all had gray hair and, so this hair can't belong to anyone with legit access to the room? (I am not accusing the rabbis of murder, they lit a candle after Chaim was discovered).

Repost from 2012..
Wonder why there does not seem to be any follow-up news reports?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05...-to-announce-increased-reward-in-1986-murder/
"MINEOLA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) &#8211; Who would kill a rabbinical student in his bed, in cold blood &#8211; and why?

The mystery has haunted police detectives in Nassau County for more than a quarter century, and on Tuesday night, a new effort was launched to find the killer, CBS 2&#8217;s Carolyn Gusoff reported.

The victim&#8217;s family also launched an appeal to now-grown Long Beach classmates to come forward.

Chaim Weiss was found murdered on Nov. 1, 1986. Police said the 15-year-old was stabbed to death in his sleep at the Mesivta of Long Beach.

No weapon was ever recovered, but authorities believe the killer may have used a hatchet, 1010 WINS&#8217; Mona Rivera reported.

Authorities said at the time there were no signs of forced entry into the building, robbery or sexual assault".

I still wonder if maybe this had nothing to do with Chaim per se, but was directed toward an adult (the murderer killed Chaim to hurt the adult). If it was something of that nature, then the murderer might have done quite of bit of planning before he committed the murder and that would include breaking the lock if it was at all possible in order to allow quicker access to the building. The murderer might have also figured out how to get in and out of Chaim's room before the night of the murder.. maybe even some months before. The room had a large window and only one boy in it, what if that is the reason Chaim was chosen and nothing to do with him personally?

This is just a tenuous theory... I just feel that if it was someone personally upset with Chaim enough to do such a thing then some clues to this person's identity would've surfaced by now.

Chaim was apparently quite athletic and enjoyed basketball. Did he play against someone that he had words with and perhaps felt humiliated by Chaim?
Did he make disparaging comments against an opposing school's team?
Did he win a sporting bet of some kind?

Athletes tend to be strong, young, competitive and sometimes, violent... imo.

Did Chaim's school have a basketball team? Was Chaim on it? I thought there was just a basketball net near his dorm and that he sometimes played games there. Maybe he was good at basketball, but I didn't think he was really on a team that competed with other schools. I could be wrong about that, of course.

I know there has been a lot of speculation about a polish janitor; not sure whatever happened there.
If the FBI truly has some notion that this could be another teen or student that murdered Chaim, then it would be *very* interesting to investigate where all these "kids" are now, and how there lives have progressed. Has anyone committed any violent crimes? Is anyone in prison? Did anyone commit suicide? This type of followup with the students would be very interesting. Perhaps some of this data could be ascertained from the alumni club?

I know there has been a lot of speculation about a polish janitor; not sure whatever happened there.
If the FBI truly has some notion that this could be another teen or student that murdered Chaim, then it would be *very* interesting to investigate where all these "kids" are now, and how there lives have progressed. Has anyone committed any violent crimes? Is anyone in prison? Did anyone commit suicide? This type of followup with the students would be very interesting. Perhaps some of this data could be ascertained from the alumni club?

One guy did commit suicide on his wedding night. I read an article about it in a regular paper and then I read about it on a Jewish site (I don't usually read that site, I went to read about this man). His wife was trying to talk to him, but she didn't know (then, at least) why he did it. The regular paper said she was 'in bed' (or 'sleeping'), but people who said they knew her said she was awake and trying to help her husband. This may have nothing to do with Chaim, of course. But, there has been at least one suicide.

One guy did commit suicide on his wedding night. I read an article about it in a regular paper and then I read about it on a Jewish site (I don't usually read that site, I went to read about this man). His wife was trying to talk to him, but she didn't know (then, at least) why he did it. The regular paper said she was 'in bed' (or 'sleeping'), but people who said they knew her said she was awake and trying to help her husband. This may have nothing to do with Chaim, of course. But, there has been at least one suicide.

While this may have nothing to do with Chaim, it is certainly worth a follow up.....I would think. Perhaps LE or a PI might attempt to chat with this woman? Of course it would have to be approached in a respectful and sensitive manner, but I think she should be questioned. MOO.
Further, I would suggest this fellow's school record and interactions with Chaim be vigorously examined for any potential flags.

While this may have nothing to do with Chaim, it is certainly worth a follow up.....I would think. Perhaps LE or a PI might attempt to chat with this woman? Of course it would have to be approached in a respectful and sensitive manner, but I think she should be questioned. MOO.
Further, I would suggest this fellow's school record and interactions with Chaim be vigorously examined for any potential flags.

I agree. It might relate to the school, thus indirectly to Chaim at the very least. (Maybe.) If it was done very gently, then they should be able to see if they need to pursue further investigation into the suicide.

Tragic story, sad for this man, his wife and family.imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ5NDyx4Kxk

Tragic story, sad for this man, his wife and family.imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ5NDyx4Kxk

Yes, this is a very tragic story....and after watching the video, I am even more adamant that any connection to Chaim should be examined....carefully....including mutual connections to individuals considered POI related to any alleged criminal act such as child molestation, etc. Perhaps Chaim was going to be a whistle blower, but never got the chance? I definitely think this connection needs to be carefully examined. MOO.

On a related note, I absolutely loved the friend of the deceased in this video, who put the reporter in her place. Loyal friend, God Bless her.

Don't know if the below article was posted before ...Nothing much unknown but still interesting and worth a read for the ones who haven't seen it..

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/04/nyregion/our-towns-the-world-brutally-intrudes-on-a-yeshiva.html

What an incredible group of young men; I'm sure they grew up to be outstanding citizens.
Such a sad article. I agree with the psychologist quoted; it was the act of a mad man, not anti-sematic. However, the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Don't know if the below article was posted before ...Nothing much unknown but still interesting and worth a read for the ones who haven't seen it..

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/04/nyregion/our-towns-the-world-brutally-intrudes-on-a-yeshiva.html

Thanks for the nice article, wondering if chaim was one of the boys seen outside playing basketball?
From the link..

''They don't watch movies about cops and robbers,'' Mr. Burr said. ''They don't read novels about these things. So this is devastating. These are relatively sheltered children who are not exposed to violence, even in their recreation.''

Occasionally, neighbors see the boys shooting baskets at a hoop beside the school. They take off their suit coats and play between classes, in white shirts and slacks".

Members of Australia's Orthodox Jewish community who assist police investigating alleged child sexual abuse have been pressured to stay silent, secret tape recordings and emails obtained by Fairfax Media reveal.

The details of the pressure being exerted on victims have emerged as the Royal Commission into child sex abuse prepares to hold public hearings next week to examine the responses of Melbourne and Sydney's yeshivah centres to alleged offences dating back to the 1980s.

In one secret, legally recorded 2011 telephone conversation, prominent Melbourne criminal lawyer Alex Lewenberg tells a victim of St Kilda Yeshivah centre sex offender David Cyprys he should not have co-operated with police.

"I am not exactly delighted that another Yid [Jew] would assist police against an accused no matter whatever he is accused of and that is the reason why I was very disappointed," Mr Lewenberg, who was defending Cyprys at the time of the conversation, told the victim.

http://m.theage.com.au/national/jew...-tapes-and-emails-reveal-20150127-12zcfa.html

This really made me wonder...

Yes, this is a very tragic story....and after watching the video, I am even more adamant that any connection to Chaim should be examined....carefully....including mutual connections to individuals considered POI related to any alleged criminal act such as child molestation, etc. Perhaps Chaim was going to be a whistle blower, but never got the chance? I definitely think this connection needs to be carefully examined. MOO.

On a related note, I absolutely loved the friend of the deceased in this video, who put the reporter in her place. Loyal friend, God Bless her.

Seems unlikely this would be related. The man was 24 when he took his life, in 2010. That meant he was born in 1986... the year Chaim was murdered.

This case haunts me; I've been a frequent poster about it on the sitcomsonline UM board.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back