NY NY - Chaim Weiss, 15, Long Beach, 1 Nov 1986

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wondering if and how the investigation would be any differently perceived if religion was taken out of the equation?
If Chaim was at a non-religious boarding school, would that change what people may think happened in that room and by whom?

Great question. I noticed that the FBI profile points to " someone who knew Chaim very well.Someone around his own age ". Sounds like another student,or students ? Yet, according to other reports early in the case everyone in that dormitory took and passed a poly...who would that leave ? jmo

Since that time have any of the people who were questioned been charged with a crime of any sort, or been diagnosed with a serious mental illness?
Anyone who would do that would surely crack living with the guilt and horror of such a crime especially if they were close to Chaim imo.

Would it be terrible to consider that a student/teacher/parent of student, with strong feelings of lust/envy could not control themselves and" destroyed" the popular and clever Chaim?
Could feelings of shame destroy a community and so "for the better good" people who may have known something refuse to say anything?

Great question. I noticed that the FBI profile points to " someone who knew Chaim very well.Someone around his own age ". Sounds like another student,or students ? Yet, according to other reports early in the case everyone in that dormitory took and passed a poly...who would that leave ? jmo

Did Chaim ever have anything to do with anyone getting expelled or punished? It could have even been someone who graduated who had a past grievance. It certainly had to be someone strong to inflict that type of damage. Forgive me if this has already been stated; did LE determine much about the weapon? Did it come from the kitchen? Was said weapon every traced to a local shop? I suspect there is much more that is known to LE that has not been released. Have there been any subsequent crimes of a similar nature that can potentially be tied to Chaims murder?

My prayers and hopes for answers go to Chaims dear family. Someone knows. Maybe a girlfriend or mother of the killer. Let them come forward and clear their conscience.
God bless!

Bumping for Chaim and his family. They need answers.

Not good video quality, but ' Unsolved Mysteries" is watchable fwiw.
LE say they asked the students if they noticed anything unusual and were "met with stoney silence".
Everyone has something to say about the murder of a young person, surely all these years later, something must be bugging someone...
Are they quite sure that no one scaled the building from street level or even slip down from the roof into Chaim's room?

[video=youtube;DTLUxhsKNdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTLUxhsKNdU[/video]

Have not previously read of the possibility of a hatchet being used, who goes around with one of those without having a plan to hurt someone with it? For that matter, what student would have one in the first place and why?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05...-to-announce-increased-reward-in-1986-murder/

"Nassau County Police Seek Clues In Student’s 1986 Murder
15-Year-Old Chaim Weiss Was Found Murdered, Possibly With A Hatchet"

http://www.examiner.com/article/pol...on-1986-slaying-of-long-beach-yeshiva-student
bbm.
"the student, Chaim Weiss was found dead of multiple stab wounds around 8 a.m. on Nov. 1, 1986 near his bed in a dorm room at Torah High School, an Orthodox Jewish yeshiva located at 63 East Beach St. in Long Beach, Det. Lt. John Azzata, the commanding officer of the Nassau County Police Homicide Squad said at the press conference.

Azzata said Weiss suffered multiple stab wounds during the attack. Although the Nassau County medical examiner’s office previously said Weiss was attacked with a “hatchet-type” weapon, investigators declined Tuesday to discuss the weapon used in the case, beyond saying that Weiss was stabbed multiple times"

http://sectionhiker.com/a-beginner’s-guide-to-hatchets-by-ross-gilmore/
bbm.

Wondering if this is why Chaim was pulled to the floor? Did someone intend to "behead" CW in one fell swoop but could not maintain control?
Any chance a hatchet was used to scale the building?

"Why Use a Hatchet

It is an unavoidable fact that hatchets and axes are heavy tools. An average hatchet will have a 1.25lb head, which tends to make the whole hatchet close to 2lb. That type of weight must be justified by a significant use value".

Snip>

"Hatchet safety

Both hatchets and axes are dangerous tools. They rely on weight and momentum to do their job, and if control is lost, the results can be very serious. I have mentioned one safety precaution, i.e. staying low to the ground so in case you miss your target, the hatchet hits the ground before it hits you.

This general approach goes for most safety issues when it comes to hatchets. For each swing, plan out where the head will land if you miss, and make sure that no part of your body is there. Once the hatchet is in mid swing, it becomes very hard to make rapid adjustments"

Did the school have one of those old fashioned fire alarms, complete with hatchet? If so, it could've been used, washed and returned to it's case on the wall.

Did the school have one of those old fashioned fire alarms, complete with hatchet? If so, it could've been used, washed and returned to it's case on the wall.

Never thought of that Stella! Very good call!

Could it be an alumni of the school?

Could it be an alumni of the school?

Anything is possible, but I suspect an adult who was affiliated in some way. It could be as remote as someone who made routine supply deliveries, etc.

The family sued the school blaming it for not providing for the security of their son. I wonder what they specifically said was unsafe. That might shed some light on who may have been able to gain access to Chaim's room. For example, maybe the codes weren't changed often enough or maybe too many people had them.

The family sued the school blaming it for not providing for the security of their son. I wonder what they specifically said was unsafe. That might shed some light on who may have been able to gain access to Chaim's room. For example, maybe the codes weren't changed often enough or maybe too many people had them.

December,
I had read and posted about this. There had been two murders in the neighborhood where the Yeshiva is located before Chaim went there.. Both elderly people, and both murders were similar to Chaim's murder. In fact, the pathologist went so far as to say that the head injuries in one of the murders were identical to the head injuries suffered by Chaim. When he enrolled his son at the school, Anton Weiss was not aware of these nearby murders.And he stated that the school authorities did not tell him.He said that had he known,he would not have enrolled his son at that school.

December,
I had read and posted about this. There had been two murders in the neighborhood where the Yeshiva is located before Chaim went there.. Both elderly people, and both murders were similar to Chaim's murder. In fact, the pathologist went so far as to say that the head injuries in one of the murders were identical to the head injuries suffered by Chaim. When he enrolled his son at the school, Anton Weiss was not aware of these nearby murders.And he stated that the school authorities did not tell him.He said that had he known,he would not have enrolled his son at that school.

Liz B., I did see your post about the other two murders. I didn't realize that was the only point they made in regard to lack of security.

I had forgotten that the head wounds in one of the cases was deemed to be identical. So strange that the killer then went on to a young boy.

No, they just have standard industrial sized fire extinguishers hanging on a hook.
Anything is possible, but I suspect an adult who was affiliated in some way. It could be as remote as someone who made routine supply deliveries, etc.
There were no deliveries made to the dormitories - only to the school building 3 blocks away.
The only people that I ever saw in the dorm in all my years were students and the Polish workers.

Chaim had a sore throat which required antibiotics, did this mean he went outside of the school to see a doctor?
Did this affect his ability to speak, or horrors- scream?
Did he miss any classes that might have put him in contact with different/other students or school workers?
Did anyone in that neighbourhood celebrate Halloween the previous evening and if so, would Chaim or any other student watch from the windows?

Could the candles be lit in CW's room to help the killer see after the deed, or maybe a lit candle was brought in with the killer as he navigated the hallways to Chaim's room?

Wouldn't the killer be covered in blood and leaked everywhere?
Any chance that Chaim was murdered " cleanly" elsewhere and then returned to his room
and "sullied"?

Longbeach,
What all did these polish workers do? I believe they were poly'ed?
I wonder if there was any connection between them and the elders that were killed?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221
Back