NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello all,

I just wanted to jump back in and comment on a few things that I've read as of late.
To start off I wanted to reply to CheerioDoggo that any publicity is good publicity, and I always advocate for more press and coverage.

Hey Ian,

Sorry for disappearing. I have a lot on my plate at the moment, but when things settle down I'll ask around. I know some people at some of the media orgs that might be able to point me in the right direction (this wouldn't be their topic area at work). No promises I can pull anything off, but I'll send it around soon.

I hope you and your parents are doing well and I hope you guys have still managed to find some bright spots in life in the last few years despite it all.

Since it is the topic of this thread as of late, if it is any comfort to anyone, know that some of us have called things in. Some people spoke way too freely around me when we were in high school and even though most of it was probably useless, I did report it when I was old enough to realize its possible no one else did. I was at just the right age that his disappearance and its implications were very traumatic -- I still remember the day after Colin's disappearance down to the minute. Seeing as nothing has come out of it, it was likely a nothing-burger, but Colin (and the rest of you) occupy some space in my mind and many of us still want to help. I'll see if I can pull anything off here & will be in touch if I do.

Last edited:
Gulp....double gulp, apparent AT passed away very very recently. I don't know more or how or anything...was just keeping up with some of the info in the case. He was not a suspect so 'technically' so can't be sleuthed here but wow.
I don't know what to say.

Hey all,
Here just checking in as always. Thank you Andalso for your vigilance in bumps, and yes it is unfortunate that AT passed away due to his recreational habits.

CheerioDoggo, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to promote interviews at this point. Being 9 1/2 years into the open case I'm sure I'll be getting messages for interviews in time for the 10 year "anniversary." You also mentioned you were in high school with me at the time, and I wouldn't mind a little more disclosure on the details in private messages. The Tupper Lake rumour mill is top notch and runs at a pace unprecedented so I'm not surprised that you might have heard your fair share of crazy things nonchalantly.

Thank all of you for your constant support and I hope you all have a lovely end to your year. With me moving states and being employed with a new company things have been a little hectic but I'll try to check in as much as I can.

Much love,
Ian

Gulp....double gulp, apparent AT passed away very very recently.

Thank you for sharing. I am far removed from the town where I grew up and it was not on my radar. I didn't keep any overlapping friend groups with him, for what I hope is obvious reasons.

I also just thought I'd confirm for transparency purposes for the sleuths here that I did let Ian know who I was; I realize in hindsight I looked a little suspicious concealing my identity and apologize for that. For the context of the public forum, I was in high school at the same time as both Colin and Ian and knew/know them both. I'm not sure if that is a claim large enough to need mod proof, but if so, let me know. I'm not particularly useful with any local Tupper Lake information now that Ian posts here, but I'll check-in occasionally to check on the case.

As a complete aside, while I often find myself very uncomfortable with True Crime communities (I am sure due to knowing Colin), I appreciate that you guys do seem to listen to Ian and local sources. I've read a couple posts on other websites and found it very frustrating some of the comments that come out of it, mostly how the revert to Occam's razor.

So, if it helps, I can give a few more comments I can give as a local who is about Colin's age, since the circumstances around his disappearance comes up a lot in discussion. I'm sure Ian has addressed some of it, but from another perspective: every single kid in Tupper Lake did exactly what Colin did that night, and we all did it like, every weekend. I hated bringing my coat anywhere growing up because it was so bulky and took forever to take on or off, I'd take freezing for a few minutes over dealing with it any day of the week. And to be honest, you were probably still cold wearing your coat in a Tupper Lake winter anyway, what difference did it make? I regularly had to walk to school in the morning when it was -35F outside. IIRC, that night was pretty balmy by Tupper Lake standards, and teenage boys run like sweaty furnaces 90% of the time anyway. I'm more shocked he wasn't wearing shorts like most Tupper Lake teenage boys in March than I am by the alleged lack of Colin's coat.

I walked home from friend's houses at 1:00am on the other side of town all the time; there were only a handful of employers in TL that all of our parents worked at, and most of those places had super early shifts that may or may not give your parents the full weekend off. I was never allowed to take the car because my mom had to get up at something like 4:00am. And, Tupper Lake is in a high poverty area, often the same rate of poverty as the Bronx in NYC. Some kids had their own cars, but I'd say most of us didn't. If you needed to go somewhere after your parents went to bed and they didn't want you to have the car (either because they couldn't risk missing work if something went wrong, or they didn't trust you, or you couldn't drive), you were walking home, regardless of weather or hour. It was totally normal.

I also only had cheap flip phones throughout high school because it was so hard to get service in the area anyway; we really were always climbing on things and waving our arms trying to get a text or call to go through. I once even flipped over a desk in high school because I stepped on a weak part and flipped it over while trying to send a text to my parents. That hurt.

Our PE classes in school, starting in Kindergarten, focussed on getting us familiar and comfortable with the woods in Tupper Lake. I mean like, our underfunded and poor school literally got donations for things like snow shoes so that P.E. classes could bring us into the woods starting when we were five years old and teach us basic survival skills. I cannot emphasize how heavily "the woods is dangerous, but we will teach you how to manage it" was drilled into our head from the start of pre-K, and on top of that, most kids are forced into some sort of Boy/Girl Scouts to add onto those survival skills.

I know many people have attributed some of his behavior to being allegedly intoxicated on a variety of possibly substances, but I just want to clear the air that Colin's behavior actually seems pretty darn normal to a local who grew up in the area at the time who, to this day, has never touched any sort of impairing substance (I was an excessively boring teenager and college student; I am the DD/mom friend permanently in my friend group and always have been).

So, take all of that as you do. I don't think I shared anything about Colin specifically here, but of course, if Ian would like me to remove any of this, please let me know.

@GWOBrother I wish you success with your move to a new state and new career! Congratulations on both! Remember, it can take time to adjust so be patient and kind with yourself!

Re: AT's passing... maybe, just maybe, people will feel more comfortable/safe to come forward now that he is not an issue? Total speculation, but I always thought BN knew more but didn't say more out of fear of AT, maybe it'd be good to re-interview some of these people now? Of course, there is still the issue of fear of NT.

Almost 10 years, wow. You're right, Ian, that will likely cause renewed interest in Colin's case, which in turn will bring a lot of the pain back to the surface for you all. We are here for you, not just to solve to case (that would be great) but also to support you and your family. I hope beyond hope that you all get some answers soon.

Peace, light, hope and Justice!

andalso

Also: Did the police ever have forensics test Colin's personal possessions found on Setting Pole Dam Road for fingerprints/DNA? And who was the friend Colin was allegedly meeting? Did the police ever find out a name?

ADMIN REMINDER:

This post lands at random.

Websleuths is fact based. Rumors or hearsay are not allowed.

Also, racial discussion is not allowed unless it is known to be factor in the case as indicated by LE or MSM. Do not introduce racial discussion in a thread. It is a violation of Websleuths TOS and may result in Warning points that remain permanently on a member's account, and/or may result in a loss of posting privileges.

Please read The Rules and post accordingly.

Thank You.

Always thinking about Colin. It's coming up on 10 years. Where is Colin? Where is Justice for Colin??????

Still and always hoping for answers for the family.

Hey all,
Here just checking in as always. Thank you Andalso for your vigilance in bumps, and yes it is unfortunate that AT passed away due to his recreational habits.

CheerioDoggo, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to promote interviews at this point. Being 9 1/2 years into the open case I'm sure I'll be getting messages for interviews in time for the 10 year "anniversary." You also mentioned you were in high school with me at the time, and I wouldn't mind a little more disclosure on the details in private messages. The Tupper Lake rumour mill is top notch and runs at a pace unprecedented so I'm not surprised that you might have heard your fair share of crazy things nonchalantly.

Thank all of you for your constant support and I hope you all have a lovely end to your year. With me moving states and being employed with a new company things have been a little hectic but I'll try to check in as much as I can.

Much love,
Ian
Ian,

Can you confirm that Jordan Nason was the first cop on the scene when Colin disappeared?

Ian,

Can you confirm that Jordan Nason was the first cop on the scene when Colin disappeared?

I'm obviously not Ian and I can't 100% confirm this but from everything I know, I believe this to be the case. I don't know how to get the police report but I sure would like to see it.

AT was dating BN at the time this happened. BN was pregnant with AT's baby. JN was a police officer as was BN's dad. BN's dad's name is Bruce. Look him up, include the word 'cover-up' in your google search (not as it relates to Colin but as it relates to different coverup.)

More and more I believe that the police covered up a crime. When I say more and more, I mean I actually have thought that the entire time. I never believed Colin was missing in the woods.

AT literally put himself as the last person to see Colin.

It's beyond ridiculous that Colin hasn't been found and this angle openly investigated.

I feel confident that BN and her family knows more then she has shared as well as NT (AT's brother).

AT is now dead. It seems like it would be fine to release the police report at this time.

JUSTICE FOR COLIN!!!!!

(my opinion only)

I'm obviously not Ian and I can't 100% confirm this but from everything I know, I believe this to be the case. I don't know how to get the police report but I sure would like to see it.

AT was dating BN at the time this happened. BN was pregnant with AT's baby. JN was a police officer as was BN's dad. BN's dad's name is Bruce. Look him up, include the word 'cover-up' in your google search (not as it relates to Colin but as it relates to different coverup.)

More and more I believe that the police covered up a crime. When I say more and more, I mean I actually have thought that the entire time. I never believed Colin was missing in the woods.

AT literally put himself as the last person to see Colin.

It's beyond ridiculous that Colin hasn't been found and this angle openly investigated.

I feel confident that BN and her family knows more then she has shared as well as NT (AT's brother).

AT is now dead. It seems like it would be fine to release the police report at this time.

JUSTICE FOR COLIN!!!!!

(my opinion only)
I think that you and I are on the same page.

If Colin was run over and killed, how would JN, BN, and AT have cleaned up the blood? With all of the searches that were done, wouldn't someone have spotted the blood in the road? I guess cleaning it up would have been possible, but it seems like it would have been very difficult.

I'm thinking that maybe Colin was killed elsewhere and that his personal effects were planted by JN, BN, or AT.

According to this article from 2014, it was in fact a state trooper that showed up.

"Around 2 a.m. on March 11, Mr. Gillis was seen stumbling erratically along the main thoroughfare, according to news media reports. Rich Rosentreter, at the time the editor of the Lake Placid News, saw Mr. Gillis, but fearful of stopping at that hour on the unlighted road with his elderly mother in the car, did not stop until reaching the local police station to report the wandering young man. Mr. Gillis’s relatives said it took 30 to 60 minutes for the authorities to respond to the sighting, near the border of Franklin and St. Lawrence Counties. By the time a state trooper arrived, Mr. Gillis was gone."

After 2 Years of Hoping, Upstate New York Family Has Few Leads on Man Who Vanished (Published 2014)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butterfliesfly777
Back