Found Alive NY - Constantinos 'Danny' Filippidis, 49, Lake Placid, 7 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's a pretty straight shot... for 2900 miles.
13a077c229fe8d0d89dc7407f67ce28b.jpg

This is so bizarre. Reminds me another case a few years ago. I can't remember the details but a guy went missing and was found 1000s miles away along the side of the road. He couldnt remember how he got there either. Weird.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-f...nia-after-going-missing-in-new-york-1.3801957
While speaking with Sacramento police, Filippidis said he was missing and declined the fact that he was a victim of a crime.

“He identified himself and he was transported from our custody to a local hospital where he is getting treatment,” Sgt. Shaun Hampton with Sacramento police told CP24 in an interview over the phone on Tuesday evening. “He believes he suffered a head injury at some point but is unclear as to when that occurred.”
It is not known how Filippidis was able to get from New York to California as union officials said he did not have identification on him at the time.
Hampton said Filippidis told officials he slept for a great deal of the trip from the east to west coast of the United States.
“After speaking with him (Filippidis) it sounds as if he may have gotten a ride in a big rig – he was unable to provide us with a description of the big rid or a description of the driver of the big rig – but he was found with cash in his possession and a Visa card and a cell phone he had recently purchased,” he said.

Hampton added officers believe he was a “willing participant” of this journey and said that drugs or alcohol did not appear to be a factor in the incident.

Did he have ski boots on still?? :waitasec:

Reminding me of Dar Heatherington...fwiw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dar_Heatherington

I had the same thought, because both incidents happened when the people were away on work-related trips, without their spouses. Maybe that was a trigger for some underlying issues to surface and overwhelm them, when they're away from steadying home and spouse?

DH was revealed to have had psychological problems, but was pilloried as a liar. Good thing this guy isn't giving any public explanation. I'm sure it's deeply shameful for a first responder to feel he caused a big search, but hopefully he'll be treated kindly.

Did he have ski boots on still?? :waitasec:

That's what I was wondering. LE mentioned that he had cash and a visa card with him in Sacremento so that was pretty handy. Also, he was apparently on a big rig and was unable to provide any details about the rig or the driver. From CP24.

He had a cell phone that he recently purchased? And his wife didn't have the number? uhhhhhh.....

Could he have told a trucker that he was trying to get to Toronto, and the driver thought he meant Toronto, California? If this happened in Canada, we'd be joking that he got a ride with Canada Post.

Wonder if any rental cars in Sacramento have been returned from- oh I don't know - upstate New York or Toronto lately??????????

By persons of the female persuasion......

Could he have told a trucker that he was trying to get to Toronto, and the driver thought he meant Toronto, California? If this happened in Canada, we'd be joking that he got a ride with Canada Post.

:what:

Toronto CA???

Never heard of it...

BUT there is an Ontario, CA....

Can you find Toronto CA on a map and link it???

:tyou:

:wave:

:fishy:

maybe even CATFISHY...

:moo: :cow:

He told deputies he'd forgotten how he arrived at the airport or who drove him there, but that he rode in a "big rig-style truck" and slept "a lot."

Between the Adirondacks and Sacramento, Filippidis bought an iPhone, he told deputies, which he used to call his wife on Tuesday.

Filippidis told deputies a truck dropped him off in downtown Sacramento, where he got a hair cut.

He forgot how he traveled from downtown Sacramento to the airport -- approximately 11 miles.

Filippidis was still dressed in his ski pants, ski jacket, boots and had his helmet.

Though deputies said they don't know how Filippidis arrived in Sacramento aside from what he's told them, the sheriff's office is not currently investigating the incident.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/adiro...issing_skier_told_deputies_he_crossed_th.html

bbm, asked above, yes, he was still dressed in his ski boots.

Were his skis and poles ever found during the search?

Wow.

The only thing I can figure out is he was very sick and when he gave directions he may have said something that made the trucker think he needed to go to Sacramento.

There is a Sacramento Road in Toronto so maybe he lives near that road and maybe said Sacramento to the driver.

I looked up the fire association from the article and no updates there. From link it mentions Toronto Firefighters Local 3888. There is some SM for that group but I could not find any updates more than we know already.

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Missing-skier-found-alive-in-California-473916753.html

Prayers for him that he gets better. He is obviously ill. I dont think anything he did on purpose from what we know so far.

The same article talks about a snowstorm that closed the lifts around the time he went missing.

Ive been skiing before and that can cause trouble when lifts close. The mountains have strict policy about lifts and wont open them back up when they shut them down.

I was once stuck on the backside of a mountain once after we stayed too late in an area and the lifts closed. It was a lot of anxiety and worries. We had to wait for a shuttle bus to take us to the other side of the mountain. Took around two hours before we got back.

So if there was a blizzard and he somehow got stuck like that then its possible all the commotion triggered some illness he had. The blizzard alone would cause lots of stress.

"He was reported missing from Whiteface in Northern New York after the lifts closed that day, and in the midst of a snowstorm."

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Missing-skier-found-alive-in-California-473916753.html

IF (and it is a big 'if' in my mind) he was indeed picked up by a trucker in Lake Placid, and told the trucker he needed to go to "Ontario" or "Toronto" or even Sacramento- what are the odds a trucker (a single trucker apparently) would be take him all the way to California if he seemed confused and unsure of where he was/ who he was/ where he wanted to go AND was dressed in ski gear? From a really SMALL town in upstate New York- clear across the country?

Also- he bought an actual iPhone? Really?

Color me EXTREMELY skeptical of this entire adventure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back