NY - Dr. Krystal Cascetta, 40, and baby dead in apparent murder/suicide - Westchester, Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

airportwoman

Reaction score
As of now, it appears that SHE shot the baby, whose name, age, and gender remain unconfirmed, and then took her own life. She was a prominent oncologist, and her husband was not at home when it happened but her parents were.

This is such a horrible story!

As of now, it appears that SHE shot the baby, whose name, age, and gender remain unconfirmed, and then took her own life. She was a prominent oncologist, and her husband was not at home when it happened but her parents were.

Women in prominent medical positions.... this is the third in such a short time...
wow, such a painful story. Again.

My deep hope is that this case acts to convince doubters about the severity (and illogic) of PPD. She had it all and she suffered and here we are, for the hundredth time? There’s no reasoning with a story like this. PPD is real and I pray for the future of its care. In full disclosure my brother lives in Somers, as do many of my colleagues, and LinkedIn tells me we have at least eleven mutual friends and I’m too saddened to see who they are tonight. Such a gifted woman, such a horrible event, such a loss - her daughter - and such a loss to us all tonight really.

My deep hope is that this case acts to convince doubters about the severity (and illogic) of PPD. She had it all and she suffered and here we are, for the hundredth time? There’s no reasoning with a story like this. PPD is real and I pray for the future of its care. In full disclosure my brother lives in Somers, as do many of my colleagues, and LinkedIn tells me we have at least eleven mutual friends and I’m too saddened to see who they are tonight. Such a gifted woman, such a horrible event, such a loss - her daughter - and such a loss to us all tonight really.

It is so hard to disagree with you.... This is heartwrenching. But why is it appearing so much with highly trained, and respected high level medical professionals.

I do think we are going to see more research with dispair, specifically with health care professionals. It still makes no sense to me. But PPD really makes no sense to those that do not experience.

Cops were called to the home of Dr. Krystal Cascetta at least twice before she shot dead her 4-month-old daughter and fatally turned the gun on herself, an upstate neighbor told The Post on Sunday — as it surfaced the oncologist’s parents were in the house at the time of the slay-suicide horror.

“They had ambulances and police come to their house two, maybe three times this summer. At least twice,” recalled neighbor Bob Stuart, 71, who lives near the 40-year-old cancer doctor’s million-dollar home in Somers, Westchester County. “I saw the police and ambulances arrive.”

I saw this article yesterday, and was simultaneously flabbergasted and broken-hearted.

My identical twin sister had breast cancer when we were 31 years old. We are 65 now. I’m checked twice a year and still have not had it.

Doctors like this were the literal lifeline for my sister and the metaphorical lifeline for our family.

Although Dr. Cascetta would have been a child when my sister was sick, the breast cancer doctors in 1989 gave her excellent care and truly saved her life. Since then, anyone specializing in breast cancer care holds a special place to me.

From the outside looking in we see a beautiful woman, greatly respected in her field, loving husband and a late-in-life baby, perhaps joyfully anticipated.

IMO it must be PPD. A baby does create havoc with a woman’s hormones and emotions, then of course there is the lack of sleep and all the responsibility that comes with being a working mother.

It may be that her parents were there because they knew she was suffering. Perhaps they were there for emotional support and/or to care for the child so Dr. Cascetta could work.
They must have been the ones to find her and her child.

Staggering grief.

This loss is profound in so many ways, but there will be many future breast cancer patients who will no longer be able to avail themselves of her care, skills, and research in oncology.

PPD is a monster that must be taken seriously.

IMO

Cops were called to the home of Dr. Krystal Cascetta at least twice before she shot dead her 4-month-old daughter and fatally turned the gun on herself, an upstate neighbor told The Post on Sunday — as it surfaced the oncologist’s parents were in the house at the time of the slay-suicide horror.

“They had ambulances and police come to their house two, maybe three times this summer. At least twice,” recalled neighbor Bob Stuart, 71, who lives near the 40-year-old cancer doctor’s million-dollar home in Somers, Westchester County. “I saw the police and ambulances arrive.”

Good heavens! If police had been there at least twice, why on earth did she have access to a gun? NY has strong Red Flag laws. This tragedy was preventable. smh

It is so hard to disagree with you.... This is heartwrenching. But why is it appearing so much with highly trained, and respected high level medical professionals.
Wondering about two potential theories,
1) It’s coverage bias. The beautiful doctor who murder/suicides a baby in wealthy NY suburb is more of a story than the dozens of other comperable cases that just don’t attract attention. I don’t know if that’s factually true, purely a theory, and
2) She was able to keep herself alive longer because she had support and assets. I am MOO guessing that she made it further, more months, than a parallel case where there was no parental support, no partner in the picture, no income to buffer, no maternity, no comprehensive healthcare insurance, no stable housing. She had access to a lot of stabilizing forces. I wonder if in other cases this is more commonly a newborn tragedy.
So sad.
Repeating: All MOO

Last edited:
"The Mount Sinai community is greatly saddened by the tragic loss of a Mount Sinai Health System doctor and her child. We extend our deepest sympathies to Dr. Cascetta's family, friends, colleagues, and patients."

Town Supervisor Robert Scorrano posted a message on his Facebook page stating, “I ask our Somers residents to please allow those directly impacted by this tragic event the time to grieve. We are Somers and will find a way to support one another and heal from this tragedy. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family."

"This is shocking. I don't understand. Beautiful young woman, very young, very petite. Her husband was a very nice guy. He fussed over her,” said Hadaluz Carballo, Cascetta’s next door neighbor.

"It's devastating that someone would do that to their own child and themselves,” said another neighbor. "I can't imagine what she was going through to bring her to such a place. Depression is horrible and affects everyone differently.”

Her husband Tim is an energy bar tycoon - Talty Bar. Looks like they were married in 2020.

I hate the headlines -"Prominent or Renowned NYC Cancer Doctor" ... as if because of her occupation she would be immune from PPD. Same with Lindsey Clancy, people speak horribly about her.

Last edited:
Maybe no one knew she had access to a gun. People who are determined to kill themselves can be very resourceful :(
She didn't just kill herself, she shot her defenseless child. I find it impossible to believe her husband did not know a gun was in the house. I'm also betting LE asked about access to weapons when they responded to the previous 911 calls.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc
Back