DNA Solves
DNA Solves

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
patch.com

Upper West Side Man Has Been Missing For Almost A Month, Police Say

[...]

Drexyll Tolstoy, 26, was last seen on Sept. 26 around 9:25 p.m. near 39 W. 32nd St., police said.

The address is the location of Black Fish Tattoo, which appears in a bio for an Instagram page that seems to belong to Tolstoy.

Police describe him as white, 5 feet, 9 inches tall, 150 pounds, with a thin build, brown hair, green eyes, a goatee, and tattoos on both arms.

He was last seen wearing a black and blue baseball hat, a white t-shirt, black skinny jeans, and camouflage pattern Nike sneakers.

[...]

Tolstoy left Black Fish Tattoo, at 39 W. 32 Street, where he was a tattoo artist, at around 9:25pm, according to police. He texted his former girlfriend that he had gone to the movies shortly after, “and that was the last time I heard from him,” she said. “We’re very, very worried. Drexyll was a person who thrived on routine. This is totally unlike him.” She called Tolstoy “a great artist…a gentle soul, a bit unstable, who needs to be found.”

UPPER WEST SIDE, NY — A new photo has been released of an Upper West Side man who has been missing for nearly two months, police said.

Drexyll Tolstoy, 26, was last seen on Sept. 26 around 9:25 p.m. near 39 W. 32nd St., police said.

The address is the location of Black Fish Tattoo, which appears in a bio for an Instagram page that seems to belong to Tolstoy.

He lives near West 106th Street and Columbus Avenue, according to police.

1668778951782.png

DEC 18, 2022
[...]

“Our hope by coming to New York is that we will either be able to somehow get lucky and find him or bring attention to people in the area to have them look out for him,” KT said.

[...]

Tolstoy had been living in the city for the past six years. He left work about 6 p.m. — with a security camera taking a picture of him then.

His girlfriend of 10 years, KG, 27, saw that he didn’t come to work on Sept. 26 and reported him missing that night.

[...]

“He told me that he was at the movies around 9 or so, and that was the last I heard of him,” she said. “He said he was going to go see ‘Bullet Train.’”

But cops said there was no showing of that movie at that time.

[...]

He’d been having some difficulties lately both with his relationship and with some depression issues through COVID, she said.

Drexyll had been on mood medication for about five years, but the type of meds he was on had been changed about a week earlier, his mother said.

[...]

He was born in Naples, Italy, and grew up in Detroit. His parents are both Gulf War veterans and were stationed in Italy when they met.

DEC 21, 2022
Kellie Tolstoy said she spoke with her son, her only child, later that night and then his phone turned off.

"He's never gone multiple days without contacting any of us," she said.

Drexyll didn't show up for work the next day. He left behind all his clothes and his medications in his apartment.

Kellie Tolstoy said Drexyll doesn't have a wallet or identification. She said Drexyll told her a week or two ago that someone stole his wallet or he lost his wallet, she couldn't recall which.

“No leads at all,” she said. “Nothing. No cell phone activity, no social media activity, nothing on his metro pass. Nobody, nothing. Everyone who knows him knows it isn’t like him.”

Me: “Was there anything that could have precipitated his disappearance?”

Kellie: “Well, you know, he was having a hard time with the COVID, like the rest of us, you know, struggling with some issues like depression and pretty much what everybody else I know is going through. But he also was going through a breakup. When he disappeared, he didn’t have any of his meds with him and that’s got us even more terrified.”

[...]

Details/Updates:
Home | HelpusfindDrexyll.com

Volunteers Needed:
VOLUNTEER SIGN UP SHEET

JAN 10, 2023
[...]

Drexyll’s phone has been turned off since that night, he did not show up for work the next day, and his belongings including his medications were left in his apartment. He is not believed to be carrying any identification as he told his mother a few days prior to his disappearance that his wallet had been either lost or stolen.

“He doesn’t have any ID, he doesn’t have any of his meds; I’m hoping for the best but planning for the worst,” said Tolstoy.

There is a $5,000 reward for a tip leading to the whereabouts of Macomb County native Drexyll Tolstoy who has been missing for four months. (PHOTO COURTESY OF KELLIE TOLSTOY)

Drexyll is Tolstoy’s only child and since she last spoke to him on the night of Sept. 25 she has been embroiled in a situation every parent fears. Her son is missing, there have been no leads as to his whereabouts, and the disappearance of a young adult is often viewed by law enforcement as possibly being voluntary as opposed to something demanding a sense of urgency as would the disappearance of a young child.

[...]

Tolstoy recently returned from a six-day trip to New York with her partner, Tom Campbell, to try and find answers to Drexyll’s disappearance. It is their second trip to the city since Drexyll’s disappearance. They put up posters near Black Fish Tattoo and in the Upper West Side neighborhood where he lived.

“Another thing we did, and it was pretty brutal. I’m not going to lie, we went to the chief medical examiner’s office and I left a sample of my DNA,” said Tolstoy, who has spent the past four months calling morgues in the New York City area.

[...]

“Someone reached out to the television reporter saying they saw someone fitting Drexyll’s description under the stoop at a specific address,” said Tolstoy. “We drove out there and didn’t find him but I had brought some of his favorite Arabic snacks from Michigan and I left those under that stoop just in case.”

That address was just 10 blocks from the apartment he shared with his ex-girlfriend and Tolstoy said a woman who she approached with one of the flyers told her she also saw a man who looked like Drexyll near that same address.

“My ex husband, Drexyll’s dad, lives in New York and just got back in town last night and he is going to keep going by that address and checking,” said Tolstoy.

Meanwhile, Tolstoy is making plans to make a third trip to New York in the coming weeks. She has considered hiring a private detective to assist with the search and would like to try and gather some volunteers who could help post flyers and canvass the neighborhoods he frequented.

[...]

Starting in November, iirc, metrocards began to be phased out with the goal of fully gone by 2024. Omny is now used instead, and you can pay by tapping your debit card or using a contactless payment method on your phone.

However - the flimsy yellow metrocards are still readily available in every station and it's really easy to get another one for $1 if you lose yours. If he lost his wallet or it was stolen, his metrocard was likely in that, and he was going to work the week leading up to his disappearance, so IMO he got another metrocard that the police have not been able to track?

Booth agents selling cards only take cash. So if he lost his wallet and had no cards, he likely bought another untrackable metrocard with cash.

Also, "upper west side" is vague - does anyone know specific cross streets near where he lived, and who he lived with?

He was with his girlfriend for 10 years and his mom states he was going through a breakup, per Instagram it looks like they lived together for several years. His facebook says he is engaged. It's really odd that his partner or very recent ex-partner has not said anything at all except for right after he went missing and is not mentioned in the reports.

Last edited:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP98141Drexyll Tolstoy, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact September 25, 2022
NamUs Case Created December 12, 2022
Missing From New York, New York
Missing Age 26 Years
Current Age 26 Years
Height 5' 9" (69 Inches)
Weight 140 lbs
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description short
Left Eye Color Green
Right Eye Color Green

Tattoo: words stating "DREXYLL, STAY YOU + I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! LOVE-MOM" ON LEFT SIDE OF NECK

Case Photo

Case Photo
Case Photo

Circumstances of Disappearance MISSING PERSON LAST SEEN IN NEW YORK. THE MISSING IS KNOWN TO FREQUENT WEST 32 STREET AND BROADWAY IN NYC.

April 8, 2023

A family’s six-month search for a missing Manhattan tattoo artist ended when cops found his decomposed body steps from wherehe was last seen, his devastated mother told the Daily News.
“How was he found right there? He was there the whole time,” Kellie Tolstoy told the Daily News on Saturday. “He’s been laying there for six months.”

Found in the rear of the tattoo shop building. Do they mean physically within the building then? Or within the sort of fenced off enclosure lots of buildings have which houses the electrical box dumpster etc...

Found in the rear of the tattoo shop building. Do they mean physically within the building then? Or within the sort of fenced off enclosure lots of buildings have which houses the electrical box dumpster etc...
My understanding is that he was found behind the building. MOO

APR 7, 2023
“I’m sorry, everyone,” Kellie wrote on Friday in a update tinged with grief and anger. “Drexyll’s body was found a few days ago. They had to use dental records to identify my son. He was found behind his work building. A high-ranking police [official] said to me on the day it was confirmed that it WAS my son’s body: “why are you asking all these questions, you know it won’t bring your son back,” and told me not to call them anymore.

Last edited:
Quote from the nydailynews article above snipped by me that answers some questions for me:

Police recently obtained surveillance footage from a nearby hotel that showed Tolstoy re-entering his workplace. That sent cops back to the address.

GoFundMe

Drexyll Tolstoy's body was discovered April 3 behind a building at 39 W. 32nd St. in New York City, according to The New York Daily News and WestSideRag.com.

The 27-year-old was found "with injuries indicative of falling from an elevated position," a spokesperson for the New York Police Department (NYPD) said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.
Drexyll's mother Kellie Tolstoy told the Daily News that the 17-story commercial building is home to the tattoo parlor where her son worked prior to his death.

"How was he found right there? He was there the whole time," she told the Daily News on Saturday. "He's been laying there for six months."

Police originally said Drexyll was last seen on Sept. 25 near West 106th Street and Columbus Avenue on Manhattan's Upper West Side, according to CW affiliate WPIX.

However, police later uncovered surveillance footage from a nearby hotel that showed Drexyll at his place of work near W. 32nd Street and Sixth Avenue later that evening, per the Daily News.

Drexyll had left his job at the tattoo parlor, Black Fish Tattoo, shortly before he was reported missing in September, per ABC affiliate WABC-TV.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back