Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #2 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"An official from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children testified at the Etan Patz murder trial Thursday that a 2004 tip about defendant Pedro Hernandez was sent to New York State and city authorities eight years before action was taken.

Robert Hoever said center records corroborated testimony from a Hernandez relative who called its hotline in July 2004, but said he had no idea what the NYPD and the New York State Missing Persons Clearinghouse did with the "lead report" the center sent them."

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...had-tip-on-suspect-as-early-as-2004-1.9956600

"An NYPD detective testified at the Etan Patz murder trial Friday that defendant Pedro Hernandez turned pale as a ghost when he first learned in 2012 that cops wanted to question him about an old missing-persons case.

"At that point, he like lost all color in his face -- like his lips, the skin in his face, like he lost all the blood from his face," said Det. David Ramirez, who went to Hernandez's home in Maple Shade, New Jersey, early on May 23, 2012, after cops got a tip from a relative."

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...testifies-in-etan-patz-murder-trial-1.9960261

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The prosecution and defense Friday were preparing jurors for a new video, which could amount to a bombshell in the trial of the man who confessed to killing Etan Patz.

Continued

"On Friday, police officers testified for the prosecution about the other interrogations that took place off camera. The testimony was leading up to the release next week of a police video that the defense said shows Hernandez at times getting chummy with detectives.

“He’s a client who has issues,” said defense attorney Harvey Fishbein.
Fishbein said Hernandez’s confession is all a big lie. He said the previously unseen video runs half an hour long, and will show the manipulation of a client he said has a low IQ and is easily swayed."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/02...ial-claim-interrogation-video-is-a-bombshell/

<snip>
Three boxes of evidence from the investigation into the 1979 disappearance and presumed death of schoolboy Etan Patz have turned up while a suspect is on trial for the killing, and his attorney said Monday she could have to seek a mistrial or at least recall witnesses who have already testified.

Alice Fontier, one of the attorneys representing Pedro Hernandez, said there were more than 1,400 pages of information on the case in one box alone.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/evidence-boxes-etan-patz-case-found-police-station-29166926

<snip>
Jurors Monday saw [Hernandez] say he didn't know why he did it -- "It was just something that happened." They saw him sign an Etan missing poster with the words, dictated by police, "This is Etan Patz. I choked him."

After the session -- in which Hernandez sobbed and was praised by police for showing the "strength of the Lord" -- he was transported to Manhattan, Ramirez testified, and showed his route from the bodega to the Thompson Street site. If he picked a spot that was a bakery in 1979, Fishbein said, it could be because he made it up.

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...-body-in-1979-was-actually-a-bakery-1.9969155

Omg that's unbelievable. How can they possibly continue with the trial with that much evidence found this week? It just seems to go on and on and on. ...
One of Hernandez's attorney's said they may need to move for a mistrial. What next??!

<snip> During his confession, Hernandez told detectives that he tossed the boy’s bag up onto a freezer in the basement of the convenience store.

“If the freezer is still there, the book bag should be there,” Hernandez told detectives. But the shop was closed and cleared out in the early 1980s, its contents tossed, and it’s not clear whether police were present at the time. The owners have died, and the bag never made it into evidence. No body was ever found.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/02...reates-obstacles-in-prosecution-of-patz-case/

"A psychiatrist testified at the Etan Patz murder trial Friday that defendant Pedro Hernandez was wracked by guilt when she saw him at Riker's Island a month after he confessed to police that he strangled the 6-year-old in 1979.

Dr. Flavia Robotti, who talked to Hernandez on June 27, 2012, when he was transferred from a monthlong stay at Bellevue Hospital, said he repeated his May confession to NYPD detectives and told her, "I want to die."

Now I feel terrible," she quoted Hernandez as saying. ". . . I have been thinking about choking myself. I can't sleep. I can't eat. I cry, I pray, I don't know what to do anymore. I am in constant pain."

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...testifies-at-etan-patz-murder-trial-1.9987511

New article about the hearing today.

"NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) &#8211; One of the first detectives to question Pedro Hernandez in the 1979 killing of 6-year-old Etan Patz testified Monday about the interview that led to a murder confession.

Detective James Lamendola told jurors he coaxed Hernandez into his confession by talking to him about the cycle of abuse, WCBS 880&#8217;s Irene Cornell reported.

Hernandez, who is on trial for murder, told officers of being beaten with a horse whip as a child by his drunken father in Puerto Rico. The detective repsonded by saying that people who have been abused as children often grow up to abuse children themselves."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03...dro-hernandez-confessed-to-killing-etan-patz/

I know I've said it before....I'm still torn...I don't know if he is just very severely mentally I'll or he really did it

The strangest thing for me about this case is that Jose Ramos did hurt and possibly kill a blonde boy that day. If it wasn't Jose, what happened to that little boy?

That has always been Jose's defense: the boy I hurt was taller than Etan.

Pedro Hernandez fits better than Jose, though. The bagoda and the soda were on Stan's list and the dogs rushed all over in a zig zag style, possibly the pattern of garbage trucks.

I know I've said it before....I'm still torn...I don't know if he is just very severely mentally I'll or he really did it

It's a difficult case I'm concerned about reasonable doubt and the other suspect who the Patz sued. Do people that are mentally ill normally confess in detail to crimes they didn't commit when they were actually near the scene of the crime at the time? That's the question I ask myself. I'm more inclined to believe he is the perp than Ramos. It is a horrendous case and there will never be closure for the Patz family.

Another article with additional information from yesterday's hearing.

"A former clerk at the bodega where prosecutors say 6-year-old Etan Patz was strangled testified Monday that employees had access to the basement key.

Pedro Hernandez confessed to killing the child in 1979, saying he lured him there, strangled him, put him in a trash bag and left him in an alley.

Hernandez's defense lawyers say he's mentally ill and and doesn't know what he did.

Previous testimony indicated that the basement's key was regulated, so Hernandez might not have been able to attack the boy there, but a former bodega clerk told jurors that he would walk around with the key during his shift."

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/manhattan/ne...ays-employees-had-access-to-basement-key.html

Hernandez's attorney, Harvey Fishbein, said the testimony had holes.

"I think that witness's memory was very questionable," Fishbein said. "He couldn't remember when he worked there, when he left, how long he worked there, so his memory of where the keys might have been at any given time, I'll let the jury decide if they believe that or not."

The prosecution expects to wrap up its murder case against Pedro Hernandez by the end of the week. The defense will then start calling its witnesses.

It's a difficult case I'm concerned about reasonable doubt and the other suspect who the Patz sued. Do people that are mentally ill normally confess in detail to crimes they didn't commit when they were actually near the scene of the crime at the time? That's the question I ask myself. I'm more inclined to believe he is the perp than Ramos. It is a horrendous case and there will never be closure for the Patz family.

I gotta tell you, I don't think I could convict anyone in this case confession or not without some real solid evidence. They don't have his body. They don't have anything but his confession. People calling to say they are Etan is crazy but it begs consideration. How can they know for sure? I don't think I could convict anyone with what I see so far.

Yes. They can. I've seen severely mentally ill people confess and claim things they had nothing to do with. What's been the case is that they got a fixation on the incident for one reason or another, not always logical, and get so into it they convince themselves they were there or they did it. There are good reasons why mentally ill are not always good reliable witnesses, unless they have something strong that goes with their story. They also can be easy to persuade and highly easy to influence. He has nothing to back up his story

Latest update from yesterday's hearing.

"Prosecutors in the Etan Patz murder trial rested their case Friday after showing jurors dramatic pictures of a staged demonstration of the way they believe defendant Pedro Hernandez stuffed the body of the 6-year-old into a banana box in 1979.

Deputy Chief Medical Examiner Michele Slone said she re-created a piece of Hernandez's disputed confession by having a 48-inch, 45-pound child volunteer similar in size to Etan squish facedown into a Chiquita box lined with a black garbage bag.

Slone told prosecutor Joan Illuzzi-Orbon that the child -- called "Little C" -- fit "neatly" into the box, and did not report any difficulty. But on cross-examination she was asked if she also tested Hernandez's claim that he carried the 50-pound box on his shoulder 11/2 blocks to an alley."

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...rial-rests-after-box-demonstration-1.10027375

Yes. They can. I've seen severely mentally ill people confess and claim things they had nothing to do with. What's been the case is that they got a fixation on the incident for one reason or another, not always logical, and get so into it they convince themselves they were there or they did it. There are good reasons why mentally ill are not always good reliable witnesses, unless they have something strong that goes with their story. They also can be easy to persuade and highly easy to influence. He has nothing to back up his story

Thanks for your reply I hadn't came across it before. I'm glad I'm not on the jury I think it will be difficult for everyone on it to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J_M_U