GUILTY NY - Former cop sentenced to probation and 10 jail weekends for raping 13-year old girl - Aug 16, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Ontario County DA’s Office said the sentencing agreement happened because they were placed in a position where they had to weigh the impact of the victim testifying to the crime or consider taking the guilty plea.

“She was a child and she was going to have to face the accused in a courtroom,” said prosecutor Kelly Wolford.

The DA’s Office added they were not satisfied with the sentencing for Jordan and hopes something like this doesn’t happen again.

Probabtion and 10 weekends in jail :oops:

Per the Rochester First article he plead guilty in March 2023, but I think it means March 2024. It is unusual to me that the defendant would plead guilty without any sort of deal, but then get IMO a very lenient deal so that there wouldn’t have to be a sentencing hearing which would likely require the involvement of the victim. I would have thought they would work that out while he was pleading guilty.

Reading between the lines, it seems like there were concerns the victim wouldn’t or wouldn’t be able to testify, or the trauma of doing so would be too harmful. The assault(s) happened in 2022, and it may be the case that the victim and family wanted to prioritize moving on. There are other charges and accusations awaiting Shawn Jordan.

I’ve got to think this was done with the approval of the victim and family. But if he does anything in the next 10 years of probation, and I think he probably will, hopefully law enforcement will have their eyes on him.

This is genuine insanity. There isn't a single reason on the planet that would make this sentence acceptable.
Not one.
Can't a minor testify remotely or by some other means? He's still facing charges in another County, but they certainly won't carry the same weight of a rape charge.

"The DA’s Office added they were not satisfied with the sentencing for Jordan and hopes something like this doesn’t happen again".

Yeah me too, but the plea deal you made with this monster - makes the odds higher that it will happen again. SMDH

Can't a minor testify remotely or by some other means? He's still facing charges in another County, but they certainly won't carry the same weight of a rape charge.

"The DA’s Office added they were not satisfied with the sentencing for Jordan and hopes something like this doesn’t happen again".

Yeah me too, but the plea deal you made with this monster - makes the odds higher that it will happen again. SMDH
I world think not; they have to face each other in person. Constitutional right of the accused isn't contingent on outside factors.

Agree with Mack's comment above, that this plea agreement had to have gotten the OK from the victim. (If not, like we saw with Epstein, this isn't over and the conviction can be overturned.) It's infuriating that this guy isn't getting a double-digit sentence, but when the prosecutor's case hinges on the victim's testimony (which it especially would if the victim didn't go to the cops right away), their hands were tied. It's unfortunate in this case, but the pursuit of justice can't be guaranteed to be trauma-free. It was the up to the victim to decide, and unfortunately she felt more comfortable allowing a sentence based on what they already had than going through testimony and cross-examination.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Forgotten Murders
Back