VERDICT WATCH NY - Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein confidante, arrested on Sex Abuse charges, Jul 2020 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen extensive coverage on CNN, Washington Post, New York Times, etc.
If you mean why aren't they showing the actual trial, no cameras allowed in this courtroom.
I guess what I mean is where is the outrage? I watch the news and haven’t seen much. It’s like it’s being sept under the rug. Nothing to see here! It’s upsetting.

early on I recall Ghislaine saying she had her own copies of Epstein's shenanigans ( hers too I'm sure) and she was going to squeal if she didn't get what she wanted, so what happened to that? Why hasn't she narced on all the other perves in this case?

@benbwieder

In late night filing, Ghislaine Maxwell’s lawyers push back on prosecutors’ proposed restrictions to maintain anonymity of accusers “the government’s direct examination of Jane [anonymized name of first accuser] today would have violated its own proposal

Ghislaine Maxwell's lawyers to continue questioning accuser in sex abuse trial

"How do you describe any of this to any one of your peers or your siblings when all you feel is shame and disgust and confusion?" Jane said.

She said she eventually told a former romantic partner, known by the pseudonym Matt, about Epstein's abuse. Matt is expected to testify once Jane finishes, prosecutors said.

innercitypress

OK, they're back. Judge Nathan: The jury is ready. AUSA: We do have one issue to raise at sidebar. Judge Nathan: Let's see if we can get to the break without. Before the defense shows the jury the [confidential] binder, raise it here.
Assistant US Attorney: We have an objection to tabloid articles from the Internet being introduced as evidence. Judge Nathan: You have a general Internet objection? AUSA: No, we'll raise them one by one. Judge Nathan: Let's bring out the jury. Clerk: All rise!

Maxwell's lawyer Menninger: Did you turn 17 in your final year at Interlochen [art/music school]? Pseudonymous witness "Jane" - No, I was 16.
Menninger: Jurors, pick up the smaller binder under your chairs and turn to J-3.
Menninger: And your application said you came from a "long and loving family," right? Jane: That's what it says. Menninger: Do you recognize the document? Jane: I do not recognize it per se. But I see my signature. Menninger: It's your application to Interlochen

Menninger: When you spoke to your younger brother, you didn't mention there was a woman, correct? Jane: I don't think so. Menninger: And you told a news source that you were approached by Ghislaine, no mention of Ghislaine, correct? Jane: I don't remember that.

Menninger: When you got to Epstein's house with your mother - your house was in West Palm Beach, right? Jane: No, it was in Palm Beach - Menninger: You didn't cross any state lines, did you? Jane: No I didn't. There were only the 3 of us having tea.
Menninger: Have you ever spoken with your sisters about your boyfriends? Jane: I didn't have any boyfriends... Assistant US Attorney: Can we have a brief sidebar about this? Whispered sidebar.

Sidebar finally over. Maxwell's lawyer Menninger: Look at the last line in the top paragraph. You told the agents that Epstein would decide where everyone sat -- AUSA: Objection! She should only ask, Does it refresh your recollection.
Judge Nathan: Go ahead and ask. Menninger: Does it refresh your recollection? Jane: Yes. Menninger: And there was nothing sexual in the theater. Jane: Right [Note: Jury may hear about New Mexico movie theater acts later in trial]

Menninger: Yesterday, it said it was shortly after the pool house that you had this incident with Epstein and Ghislaine, right? AUSA: Objection as to form. Judge Nathan: Specify what you're talking about. AUSA: Objection. Menninger: This is foundational.

Menninger: You told the government you do not have a specific memory of your first time with Ghislaine -- AUSA: Objection! Menninger: You have come up with the memory in the last two years? Jane: I don't believe I have come up with memory, no.
Jane: It is not typed up right on this form.
Maxwell's lawyer Menninger: Another typo by the government.
AUSA: Objection!
Menninger: You told the government Ghislaine never used sex toys or a vibrator on you, correct? Jane: Correct. [Note: that's what was asked]

Menninger went on to ask Jane if Ghislaine ever saw her perform oral sex on Epstein (no), hand job (no), intercourse (no). Note: We're not going blow-by-blow for this portion. Menninger: Look at 39-008 at Page 5, does this refresh your recollection? Jane: No.
Menninger: You said Ghislaine never saw you perform oral sex on Epstein. Jane: I don't recall. Menninger: Look at the document. Judge Nathan: Let's take a break.

Last edited:
innercitypress

OK, they're back. Judge Nathan: The jury is ready. AUSA: We do have one issue to raise at sidebar. Judge Nathan: Let's see if we can get to the break without. Before the defense shows the jury the [confidential] binder, raise it here.
Assistant US Attorney: We have an objection to tabloid articles from the Internet being introduced as evidence. Judge Nathan: You have a general Internet objection? AUSA: No, we'll raise them one by one. Judge Nathan: Let's bring out the jury. Clerk: All rise!

Maxwell's lawyer Menninger: Did you turn 17 in your final year at Interlochen [art/music school]? Pseudonymous witness "Jane" - No, I was 16.
Menninger: Jurors, pick up the smaller binder under your chairs and turn to J-3.
Menninger: And your application said you came from a "long and loving family," right? Jane: That's what it says. Menninger: Do you recognize the document? Jane: I do not recognize it per se. But I see my signature. Menninger: It's your application to Interlochen

Menninger: When you spoke to your younger brother, you didn't mention there was a woman, correct? Jane: I don't think so. Menninger: And you told a news source that you were approached by Ghislaine, no mention of Ghislaine, correct? Jane: I don't remember that.

Menninger: When you got to Epstein's house with your mother - your house was in West Palm Beach, right? Jane: No, it was in Palm Beach - Menninger: You didn't cross any state lines, did you? Jane: No I didn't. There were only the 3 of us having tea.
Menninger: Have you ever spoken with your sisters about your boyfriends? Jane: I didn't have any boyfriends... Assistant US Attorney: Can we have a brief sidebar about this? Whispered sidebar.

Sidebar finally over. Maxwell's lawyer Menninger: Look at the last line in the top paragraph. You told the agents that Epstein would decide where everyone sat -- AUSA: Objection! She should only ask, Does it refresh your recollection.
Judge Nathan: Go ahead and ask. Menninger: Does it refresh your recollection? Jane: Yes. Menninger: And there was nothing sexual in the theater. Jane: Right [Note: Jury may hear about New Mexico movie theater acts later in trial]

Menninger: Yesterday, it said it was shortly after the pool house that you had this incident with Epstein and Ghislaine, right? AUSA: Objection as to form. Judge Nathan: Specify what you're talking about. AUSA: Objection. Menninger: This is foundational.

Menninger: You told the government you do not have a specific memory of your first time with Ghislaine -- AUSA: Objection! Menninger: You have come up with the memory in the last two years? Jane: I don't believe I have come up with memory, no.
Jane: It is not typed up right on this form.
Maxwell's lawyer Menninger: Another typo by the government.
AUSA: Objection!
Menninger: You told the government Ghislaine never used sex toys or a vibrator on you, correct? Jane: Correct. [Note: that's what was asked]

Menninger went on to ask Jane if Ghislaine ever saw her perform oral sex on Epstein (no), hand job (no), intercourse (no). Note: We're not going blow-by-blow for this portion. Menninger: Look at 39-008 at Page 5, does this refresh your recollection? Jane: No.
Thanks.

Grrrr…this is starting out ugly. We can see how this is headed…

https://mobile.twitter.com/KlasfeldReports

This may be a bit in the weeds for those unfamiliar with covering federal criminal cases. But it's crucial context—accessibly stated by
@MitchellEpner
—for understanding the cross-examination of "Jane" in the Ghislaine Maxwell trial.

A legal explainer here courtesy of @MitchellEpner, an ex-federal prosecutor who led intake on sex trafficking cases for the District of N.J. It goes into the admissibility of alleged prior inconsistent statements in government interviews — the heart of this line of questioning.

upload_2021-12-1_11-58-53.png

The then-14-year-old was at Camp Interlochen in Michigan that summer when she was between seventh and eighth grades. Her dad had died suddenly of leukemia about nine months earlier, and her family had lost their home.

She was sitting on a bench with her friends when a “tall, billowy” woman came over with a Yorkshire terrier dog, and a man soon followed.

“[My] classmates left and I was there by myself eating my ice cream and the man sat across from me,” she said.

“He seemed very interested to know what I thought about the camp,” adding that he was a benefactor who gave musically gifted kids scholarships.

She identified the man and woman as Epstein and Maxwell.

'Just turned into this orgy': First accuser testifies at Ghislaine Maxwell trial
It sounds extremely believable.

early on I recall Ghislaine saying she had her own copies of Epstein's shenanigans ( hers too I'm sure) and she was going to squeal if she didn't get what she wanted, so what happened to that? Why hasn't she narced on all the other perves in this case?

I'm guessing she wants to keep her feet firmly on the ground of her cell?

Ghislaine Maxwell's Accuser 'Jane' Testifies That Jeffrey Epstein Introduced Her to Trump at Mar-a-Lago When She Was 14

“Jane,” the first accuser to testify against Ghislaine Maxwell at her sex trafficking trial, agreed that Jeffrey Epstein introduced her to Donald Trump when she was 14 years old, long before he became a U.S. president.

Pressed by Menninger, “Jane” agreed that she said Epstein drove her to Mar-a-Lago in a dark green car when she was 14.

The defense attorney did not explore the alleged interaction much further during her questioning. “Jane” did not make any allegation about sexual abuse—or any other type of wrongdoing—by the man who would later become the 45th president of the United States.

You remember Prince Andrew being on a flight with you?” Menninger asked.

“Jane” again said yes, without making any allegation against the British royal.

On Wednesday morning, “Jane” spent the better part of the morning trying to undermine her memory of events that took place as far back as 1994. Throughout her cross-examination, Menninger tried to suggest that “Jane’s” memory was inconsistent with what notes suggest that she told the government in 2019.

“Jane” insisted repeatedly during cross-examination that many of the notes were inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oakes