NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your comment reminded me of this graphic video that was in the NYC MSM of an ambush of a 30 something year old female walking down a very safe neighborhood during the end of June.

The perp quickly begins beating her when she fought back kicking & screaming.

Attack was about one block from an entrance to Prospect Park.

Bold also attacking directly outside residential homes, cameras outside, residents heard & responded etc.

WARNING: VIDEO IS GRAPHIC/DISTURBING

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...d-be-rapist-brooklyn-street-article-1.2689180

http://pix11.com/2016/06/27/neighbo...o-captures-attempted-rape-in-windsor-terrace/

Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBBM : They have done things like this and worse. They are not as portrayed in the movies or TV. I agree,though, a predator rapist is more likely. The problem I have is that we have heard that "no one runs there", and "locals never go in there"... and that "no one followed her in there". given these things, it is such an unlikely spot for a predator to troll. kwim ? jmo
So why would a smart, lovely woman (albeit strong and fast) go there alone? Especially after her father purposefully warned her not to?!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

RBBM : They have done things like this and worse. They are not as portrayed in the movies or TV. I agree,though, a predator rapist is more likely. The problem I have is that we have heard that "no one runs there", and "locals never go in there"... and that "no one followed her in there". given these things, it is such an unlikely spot for a predator to troll. kwim ? jmo
I'm thinking predator rapist... but it does make you think... all that high end travel... not cheap.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So why would a smart, lovely woman (albeit strong and fast) go there alone? Especially after her father purposefully warned her not to?!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Razz, I asked myself that. Especially since most locals avoid the fire lanes area. K. must have been jumped from behind. jmo Those earbuds are not helpful to women running/walking alone. :(

I'm thinking predator rapist... but it does make you think... all that high end travel... not cheap.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Do we know if she went to Nice, France with her dad or ex-bf? It sounds like the ex-bf is NOT a suspect and obviously NOT the dad. Is it possible she attracted a stalker?
She has a large following on Instagram, social media.

I believe it was a psychopathic Sexual Predator who stalked her, someone who possibly knew her peripherally through her social circles and/or from her social media activity.

Mother of Slain Jogger Promises That 'Justice Will Be Served'
Aug 7, 2016, 2:37 PM ET
http://abcnews.go.com/US/mother-slain-jogger-promises-justice-served/story?id=41184674

Philip Vetrano turned the microphone over to his wife Cathy Vetrano, who spoke directly to the killer of her daughter, using words like like "pathetic," "puny," and "weak."

She called the him a "piece of filth."

"Whoever you are," she said, her voice hard with determination. "I'm here to remind you that it's the whole entire world against you."

http://abc7ny.com/news/parents-of-slain-howard-beach-jogger-justice-will-be-served/1460435/

"Vetrano's father Philip began the press conference outside the family's home by expressing thanks to the NYPD, as well as friends and neighbors.

Her mother Cathy delivered a strong message directed towards the killer."

"Justice will be served. That's why we have the PD. That's why we have God," said Philip Vetrano.

Outside the home was a floral arrangement dedicated to Karina. "11 was her favorite number," said Mr. Vetrano. "She loved butterflies, she loved rainbows, she loved nature, and that's what this represents. She loved cats, also."

Hi everyone, new here and a lifelong Brooklynite. Very sad to hear about Karina. I haven't read through the whole thread here so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything, but I wanted to run some thoughts I've had by you all:

1. The brutality and intimacy of strangling/beating/raping someone else suggests to me that it was not a vagrant or a transient who attacked KV, even if vagrants or transients tend to hang out in that area. The sheer aggression points to someone who she knew or who felt they knew her--an important distinction if you believe that it was e.g. a stalker who knew her from a place like her gym (assuming she went to one because she was in such good shape) or workplace OR who had somehow found and read her blog.

2. On that last point: her Instagram is private, but she has a lot of followers. Since it is doubtful that she has acquired more posthumously unless someone else has access to it and for some reason has been accepting new followers, perhaps it was someone she didn't know but whose request to follow she had accepted along with thousands of others. She was pretty active on IG, too--800+ posts. As for her personal website, people who pay for a domain name (which she did) tend to advertise that new website on other social media of theirs, so if the person who killed her followed her on Instagram, they may have read a self-advertising post directing them to her new blog.

3. The majority of the comments on her blog are flattery from men, apparent strangers to whom she responds very kindly and cheerfully. A lot of the posts involve her talking in first person to someone referred to as "you," which could be appealing to a certain kind of reader who's desperate for some semblance of intimacy with a woman, whether she knows it and reciprocates or not.

4. The media is reporting (as if to blame her for her death) that her father had cautioned her against running on this path alone. Women, especially women in New York, are generally not going to ignore a) that kind of advice from a parent and b) their intuition. Few women native to New York would want to spend the entirety of their run in an isolated place. Though I'd like to see a map to bolster this theory, perhaps she was running elsewhere but encountered someone/something she didn't like on her real route and diverted to the fire lane in an attempt to avoid it/them. If this is the case, eventually she got far enough away (or else the person appeared to leave) that she felt safe enough to stop and text a friend (please correct me if I'm wrong; I read that she was messaging someone when she was assaulted), but the person attacked her when standing still.

Also, the place she was found was accessible from the Belt Parkway--was it near a part of the Belt with a shoulder? There's a lot of construction going on at the moment, so if there is normally a shoulder nearby, it might be closed off. But if not, perhaps the person came in a car that they left on the shoulder or else on the street nearby. Again, a map would be very helpful here. I'm not at all familiar with the geography of Howard Beach and I don't know the exact spot where she was found.

Hi everyone, new here and a lifelong Brooklynite. Very sad to hear about Karina. I haven't read through the whole thread here so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything, but I wanted to run some thoughts I've had by you all:

1. The brutality and intimacy of strangling/beating/raping someone else suggests to me that it was not a vagrant or a transient who attacked KV, even if vagrants or transients tend to hang out in that area. The sheer aggression points to someone who she knew or who felt they knew her--an important distinction if you believe that e.g. a stalker who knew her from a place like her gym (assuming she went to one because she was in such good shape) or workplace OR who had somehow found and read her blog.

2. On that last point: her Instagram is private, but she has a lot of followers. Since it is doubtful that she has acquired more posthumously unless someone else has access to it and for some reason has been accepting new followers, perhaps it was someone she didn't know but whose request to follow she had accepted along with thousands of others. She was pretty active on IG, too--800+ posts. As for her personal website, people who pay for a domain name (which she did) tend to advertise that new website on other social media of theirs, so if the person who killed her followed her on Instagram, they may have read a self-advertising post directing them to her new blog.

3. The majority of the comments on her blog are flattery from men, apparent strangers to whom she responds very kindly and cheerfully. A lot of the posts involve her talking in first person to someone referred to as "you," which could be appealing to a certain kind of reader who's desperate for some semblance of intimacy with a woman, whether she knows it and reciprocates or not.

4. The media is reporting (as if to blame her for her death) that her father had cautioned her against running on this path alone. Women, especially women in New York, are generally not going to ignore a) that kind of advice from a parent and b) their intuition. Few women native to New York would want to spend the entirety of their run in an isolated place. Though I'd like to see a map to bolster this theory, perhaps she was running elsewhere but encountered someone/something she didn't like on her real route and diverted to the fire lane in an attempt to avoid it/them. If this is the case, eventually she got far enough away (or else the person appeared to leave) that she felt safe enough to stop and text a friend (please correct me if I'm wrong; I read that she was messaging someone when she was assaulted), but the person attacked her when standing still.

Also, the place she was found was accessible from the Belt Parkway--was it near a part of the Belt with a shoulder? There's a lot of construction going on at the moment, so if there is normally a shoulder nearby, it might be closed off. But if not, perhaps the person came in a car that they left on the shoulder or else on the street nearby. Again, a map would be very helpful here. I'm not at all familiar with the geography of Howard Beach and I don't know the exact spot where she was found.

Thanks for your interesting post and welcome to WS.

For your information Karina Vetrano's instagram was open until a couple of days ago, so everyone could look/read and post on it before her murder.

And I guess I have some of the same thoughts as you do, here is a copy of a post I posted earlier today:

"I believe it was a psychopathic Sexual Predator who stalked her, someone who possibly knew her peripherally through her social circles and/or from her social media activity."

Thanks for your reply! Was it only made private after her death, then, or a few days before? Because someone must have accessed her account (or just used her actual phone) to change that setting. I don't think Instagram would change it of its own volition. I agree it was probably someone who knew her but I'm not sure it was a sexual predator--the goal of the attack doesn't seem mostly sexual; I think they went after her wanting her to die, possibly with that classic stalker thought of "if I can't have you, no one can."

1. The brutality and intimacy of strangling/beating/raping someone else suggests to me that it was not a vagrant or a transient who attacked KV, even if vagrants or transients tend to hang out in that area. The sheer aggression points to someone who she knew or who felt they knew her--an important distinction if you believe that it was e.g. a stalker who knew her from a place like her gym (assuming she went to one because she was in such good shape) or workplace OR who had somehow found and read her blog.

The case of Haruka Weiser, the U.T. student walking alone on campus at night, is very similar in the sense that she also was brutally raped and murdered, and it ended up being completely random, a crime of opportunity by a young homeless man.

Police have said what they think in terms of the perp probably being a 'transient.' Karina herself didn't know she'd be running alone until her father begged off with his back hurting. This wasn't someone in her 'social' circle, this was someone hiding out in tall weeds on a remote fire trail. It was a crime of opportunity. It just as easily could have happened to any woman that was running by -- that early evening it was Karina who was caught in the trap.

ITA. Nobody knew she was going to run there alone that day. If nobody was following her, then the perp was in the park. Perp might have been in the park, not necessarily looking for victims, but saw an opportunity.

The case of Haruka Weiser, the U.T. student walking alone on campus at night, is very similar in the sense that she also was brutally raped and murdered, and it ended up being completely random, a crime of opportunity by a young homeless man.

Exactly. Just because the crime is brutal, doesn't mean it's committed by somebody who knew the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow