NY - Mark David Chapman & the murder of John Lennon, 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow,Thats something Songline to be that close.
I was in the middle of reading John and Yoko's interview in the new Playboy ,sketching randomly and listening to a Vacouver Bc radio station(the only one I could get in western Montana at the time) The DJ announced that he'd been shot, played a song he had cued up ('Another One Bites The Dust' which was a hit for Queen at the time "..out of the doorway the bullets rip..." I think about that night everytime I hear that song to this day.) and came back on and announced that John was dead.
For some reason I reached down and wrote 'John Lennon 1980' on the sketch I was working on.
It felt so surreal hearing his words in my head while I read that interview then to hear he was gone like that.
It wasnt until days later I learned that what I wrote was exactly what John had written on Mark David Chapmans album. Needless to say it was creepy and sad at the same time.
That piece of paper managed to follow me around for decades through many moves until about five years ago it popped up again and I burned it.
Enough, I figured.

WOW...great story..Amazing how intuition is so awesome,
I wish I used mine more often.

I got an original post card that he drew my friend gave it to me as a gift.
and I cant find it..I have to tear this house up and find it.
:)

WOW...great story..Amazing how intuition is so awesome,
I wish I used mine more often.

I got an original post card that he drew my friend gave it to me as a gift.
and I cant find it..I have to tear this house up and find it.
:)
Definitely! I would locate that card.
I went to my daughters Christmas Choir program last night she was excited because she said I was really going to like one of the selections...they sang 'Imagine' with piano backing.
Its amazing she wasnt even born until 1999.I was 20 in 1980 and now ive outlived John by 10 years.
Its times like that you really feel the passage of time.

I grew up with the Beatles. Meet The Beatles was my first album I ever bought. I was in my 20's when John Lennon was killed. I remember how shocking it was then. Violence wasn't as common as it is now. Everyone I knew was very upset about his death. I remember the next day everyone drove to work with their headlights on as a tribute to John Lennon (and this was in California). He seemed to be in such a good place in his life, with his music, his marriage, and being a dad to his son, Sean. Sad.

I was 8 month pregnant when the Beatles first came to the USA. LOL
Kennedy Airport New York 1964. Pregnant, with my husband and two friends
and wall to wall people screaming, to see them land.
We were 2 feet away from them. I was young so I thought it was a WOW!
I would never even think of doing that now. LOL

Definitely! I would locate that card.
I went to my daughters Christmas Choir program last night she was excited because she said I was really going to like one of the selections...they sang 'Imagine' with piano backing.
Its amazing she wasnt even born until 1999.I was 20 in 1980 and now ive outlived John by 10 years.
Its times like that you really feel the passage of time.

:) That is a timeless song, as are many of their songs.
that is why they were legends. :)
I am glad you enjoyed your daughter doing Imagine.

I was 8 month pregnant when the Beatles first came to the USA. LOL
Kennedy Airport New York 1964. Pregnant, with my husband and two friends
and wall to wall people screaming, to see them land.
We were 2 feet away from them. I was young so I thought it was a WOW!
I would never even think of doing that now. LOL
I still think its a Wow! Songline!
Besides just from the standpoint of their impact on music and musicians like me they had a huge impact on western culture in many,many aspects.
You were certainly witnessing an historic moment first hand.
You were at JFK in 1964 and you heard the shots that killed John all those years later.
Amazing. Life can be very strange sometimes.

I still think its a Wow! Songline!
Besides just from the standpoint of their impact on music and musicians like me they had a huge impact on western culture in many,many aspects.
You were certainly witnessing an historic moment first hand.
You were at JFK in 1964 and you heard the shots that killed John all those years later.
Amazing. Life can be very strange sometimes.

They were legends for sure., and forever will be. Their music is timeless; and loved by all of us, they were a real WOW In our day, How difference music is today.
But at my age now LOL... I would not think to go to the airport for a wall to wall gathering of fans.
I still live three blocks from the Dakota where Yoko lives.

Glad you are a musician, I so admire that talent. My girl friend sings Jazz and her BF is a well known guitarist I go out once a week to hear them and unwind from life.
I recently read an article about a women who survived concentration camp, she is 106 years old,
and when asked how she does it she said, the music of course. :)

Wow, songline..I just saw all your posts about hearing the gunshots and living so close to the Dakota. That's incredible. Also, to be so close to them back in 1964 at the airport. I was only 11 then, but I remember that time period so well. I can still see us carrying on and screaming about them in the schoolyard. And also watching them on the Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964. You are so lucky to have gotten so close to them. It was such a fantastic time. I don't think anyone who didn't live through the mania of the Beatles back then will ever understand what the experience was like and how special it was.

They were legends for sure., and forever will be. Their music is timeless; and loved by all of us, they were a real WOW In our day, How difference music is today.
But at my age now LOL... I would not think to go to the airport for a wall to wall gathering of fans.
I still live three blocks from the Dakota where Yoko lives.

Glad you are a musician, I so admire that talent. My girl friend sings Jazz and her BF is a well known guitarist I go out once a week to hear them and unwind from life.
I recently read an article about a women who survived concentration camp, she is 106 years old,
and when asked how she does it she said, the music of course. :)
Absolutely...I cant imagine(no pun intended) life without music even if you dont play an instrument or sing just to listen is magic.
No matter whats happening if I can just sit quietly and strum one of my Fenders I will feel better.

Wow, songline..I just saw all your posts about hearing the gunshots and living so close to the Dakota. That's incredible. Also, to be so close to them back in 1964 at the airport. I was only 11 then, but I remember that time period so well. I can still see us carrying on and screaming about them in the schoolyard. And also watching them on the Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964. You are so lucky to have gotten so close to them. It was such a fantastic time. I don't think anyone who didn't live through the mania of the Beatles back then will ever understand what the experience was like and how special it was.
A little more fun for you :)
It was also very exciting for me to walk beside them in the street, always giving them some space, and privacy. lol
And when they shopped for cloths in the local Antique clothing store, the store used to close down for them :) I used to shop in the same store. Named Jezebels, which no longer exists, but she opened a Restaurant in the midtown area, and decorated it with all the antique table clothes, vases, and art of days gone by.
She also used to have a signed picture of Yoko and John; I have not been to the restaurant in a few years not sure what her restaurant looks like today.

A little more fun for you :)
It was also very exciting for me to walk beside them in the street, always giving them some space, and privacy. lol
And when they shopped for cloths in the local Antique clothing store, the store used to close down for them :) I used to shop in the same store. Named Jezebels, which no longer exists, but she opened a Restaurant in the midtown area, and decorated it with all the antique table clothes, vases, and art of days gone by.
She also used to have a signed picture of Yoko and John; I have not been to the restaurant in a few years not sure what her restaurant looks like today.
Thats so cool!
One thing John said in several of his interviews is one of the many things he loved about New York was that after years of not being able to step outside without someone trying to tear his arm off for a souvineer was to be able to walk around at will and if anyone recognized him at all it was just 'Hey,John! Hows it goin?" as they passed.
Im sure it must have been very refreshing.

Last night I watched "The Last Days of John Lennon" on Fox. It was quite good I thought. Very well done.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4446730/the-last-days-of-john-lennon/

But very sad. They went through the murder itself at the Dakota, Yoko Ono's reaction, the fans reactions, details from a reporter that was in the hospital at the time Lennon was brought in. There were facts I didn't know before: that John Lennon was shot with hollow point bullets, and that he lost 80% of his blood supply. I think the saddest thing for me was they covered how much he enjoyed being a father and spending time with Sean. I still don't know why Chapman's wife never warned LE about what her husband had planned. I still blame her for Lennon's death. Just tragic. We lost such a talent that day. No one can ever fill his shoes.

Last night I watched "The Last Days of John Lennon" on Fox. It was quite good I thought. Very well done.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4446730/the-last-days-of-john-lennon/

But very sad. They went through the murder itself at the Dakota, Yoko Ono's reaction, the fans reactions, details from a reporter that was in the hospital at the time Lennon was brought in. There were facts I didn't know before: that John Lennon was shot with hollow point bullets, and that he lost 80% of his blood supply. I think the saddest thing for me was they covered how much he enjoyed being a father and spending time with Sean. I still don't know why Chapman's wife never warned LE about what her husband had planned. I still blame her for Lennon's death. Just tragic. We lost such a talent that day. No one can ever fill his shoes.
Ive often wondered the same thing.....especially since he'd made a trip to NY City in November then came home and told her all about it(he even made her hold the 38.caliber handgun so she would realize what he 'could' have done.)I believe it was during that trip he contemplated killing David Bowie who was at the time staring on Broadway in 'The Elephant Man'.
I work in the mental health sector and Im sure expressing homicidal ideation was grounds for commital then just as it is now....even a 72 hour hold might have helped I think all anyone would have had to done was talk to him for 15 minutes to know something was seriously wrong.
Of course as the spouse of a psychopath he probably had her so cowed and questioning her own sanity by that point she may have just not had the courage to act.

Here's a look at what could have been.

John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, and Elvis Presley are among the iconic musicians who were gone too soon. Now a new campaign called Rock Heaven, which is a partnership between Sachs Media Group and photo manipulation company Phojoe, kicks our sense of nostalgia into overdrive by imagining how these greats would appear — and what they would be doing — if they were still alive today.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/music-news/see-john-lennon-look-73-hint-kind-college-162042896.html

Elvis' image is not flattering, at all… which makes sense, given that he didn't lead a very healthy life style. Janis looks like the grandma that would be cool to hang with… she would be really good at making her special "herb" brownies and sharing tales from her days on the road going from gig to gig. :)

Id say the Lennon one is pretty spot on...only he would be dressed much cooler.

Elvis' image is not flattering, at all… which makes sense, given that he didn't lead a very healthy life style. Janis looks like the grandma that would be cool to hang with… she would be really good at making her special "herb" brownies and sharing tales from her days on the road going from gig to gig. :)

:goodpost:

LOLOLOL :floorlaugh:

Telegraph:

Cynthia Lennon - obituary
Wife of John Lennon whose 10-year relationship fell apart when he met Yoko Ono

Wikipedia:

She was once asked if Lennon had written any songs about their time together, and answered: "It was too sloppy when you were young to dedicate anything to anybody. Macho Northern men didn't do that in those days". In contrast, Lennon said he wrote the 1965 song "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" about an affair he was having, but rendered it in "gobbledegook" so that Cynthia would not know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back