NY NY - NY, 201 W 24th St, WhtMale 20-40, UP6896, box on sdwlk, Tatts: Libra, Oct 3, butterfly, Feb'96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If we can find out from Namus where 'elsewhere' is, we could get a name. It is unlikely for two places to have his prints, both with no name. Does anyone on this thread know anyone from Namus?

Your weather report is interesting madamx, it snowed close to the date he died. That cardboard box would have been wet. Making it an almost impossible task to set alight.

I agree with you that he could have been caught in bed with someone, it would explain the lack of clothes. But then if he was conscious I assume he would have defended himself agsinst his attacker and the body would have defensive wounds. Or if he got blipped over the head, the ME would have listed an abrasion or contusion to the head.

Dustin Driscoll and I are pretty chummy as I've sent him many matches and we've gone back and forth a whole lot. Lori as well. I will send them direct to Dustin once we have a full list of matches to make things more cohesive and seamless for him.

Yes the ME doesn't give a cause of death but also does not indicate any other injury than 'charring of body'.

Madamx says it was bitterly cold when he was found and he had no clothes on. Might indicate death from exposure.

Smoking a cigarette can lead to your scarf or jacket, which is near your face, to catch alight.

This happened in front of the fashion institute. I don't see them letting him continue to shelter in his box right out side the institute. They would more likely chase him away.

1) His fingerprints are on file elsewhere according to Namus entry. Where is elsewhere?
2) Someone at the fashion institute may or may not have set the box alight. Almost certainly someone from the institute called the fire station.
3) He's not on Interpol, the doe network or the charley project. Although I must still go through one file from doe.

And the search continues.

It doesn't seem they found any other evidence than his body though. No clothing. No blanket or any drug paraphernalia. Just a naked guy partially charred in a cardboard box in an area you typically don't find homeless. They couldn't get an eye color on him so that is why I'm thinking his head is what was burned.

I think the fingerprints might still be on file with the NYC coroner's office? Perhaps they haven't released them to namus for whatever reason - maybe b/c namus hasn't had a match submitted to compare them yet? hm.

Thank you Daisychains. The only thing I have accomplished on this thread is to play devil's advocate and kill off any possible possibilities.

I'm going to go back to where I searched today - the name of the site eludes me right now, but there was one new face that I didn't see on all the other sites. He sticks out because he's not mentioned anywhere else. Ribeiro, with all the coincidental happenings, is on the Doe network and Namus. If you search all the missing sites, the usual suspects appear regularly. It could very well be him. I don't want to confuse the issue so I'll check properly if he is still missing before adding to this thread. He has a record for vagrancy.

The Doe's DNA is available. I always go back to the tattoos. Surely if one ME takes pictures of the tattoos the ME who did Ribeiro would also have taken pictures of the tattoos?

There's no ME associated with Ribeiro. His description would come from whatever the family or friends who reported him missing could remember. So for example, if he always wore long sleeves at home, his mother might not know about the Libra design.

"Sample not available" for DNA usually means they didn't submit anything for testing and probably don't have anything. But sometimes it just means the Namus file hasn't been updated, and once in a while, it means local LE is holding the sample rather than uploading it.

"Fingerprints available elsewhere" for an unidentified decedent usually means that for whatever reason, the fingerprints weren't uploaded to the national database. You have to have ten good prints for that; if the decedent's hands were burned, they might not have been able to get a complete set. There are other technical reasons too.

There's no ME associated with Ribeiro. His description would come from whatever the family or friends who reported him missing could remember. So for example, if he always wore long sleeves at home, his mother might not know about the Libra design.

"Sample not available" for DNA usually means they didn't submit anything for testing and probably don't have anything. But sometimes it just means the Namus file hasn't been updated, and once in a while, it means local LE is holding the sample rather than uploading it.

"Fingerprints available elsewhere" for an unidentified decedent usually means that for whatever reason, the fingerprints weren't uploaded to the national database. You have to have ten good prints for that; if the decedent's hands were burned, they might not have been able to get a complete set. There are other technical reasons too.

That clears things up, thank you carbuff

Nampn and charleyproject still
both offline for everyone like they are for me?

going to search newspapers.com tomorrow to see if I can reference any articles about this Doe as well as maybe find article about missing persons matching the Doe. Bc usually Nampn is my go to :(

Charley project is running, nampn still asks me if I want to buy the domain. If you click on the links below it takes you everywhere but where you want to go. At least on my side that is.

I don't know about NAMPN, but I've been told the Charley project site and database are being upgraded and restructured and it could be down for a while.

Dustin Driscoll and I are pretty chummy as I've sent him many matches and we've gone back and forth a whole lot. Lori as well. I will send them direct to Dustin once we have a full list of matches to make things more cohesive and seamless for him.

Hey DaisyChains if you are in contact with Lori and have spoken to her before.. would it be possible to ask her a couple of questions about this John Doe.. like did he happen to have clothing or any bags or belongings that they just never wrote down? and if it appeared that he died of the fire or was dead before the fire and then set on fire.. and I guess anything else that may come to mind.

I know that in the case of the woman found on the Bronx roof someone called and was able to get more photos of tattoo photos and even a postmortem get listed on namus.. I don't know if that could happen in this case but I thought it might be worth a shot if you have spoken to them before. This is the thread iam talking about and its on post #24 that its mentioned. Just some thoughts and thank you xox
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-multiple-tattoos-Mar-90&highlight=bronx+1990

Charley project is running, nampn still asks me if I want to buy the domain. If you click on the links below it takes you everywhere but where you want to go. At least on my side that is.

Yes I got the same thing it says it expired on 1/12/2018 Its frustrating and I am having issues with Charley Project still..

http://nampn.org/?reqp=1&reqr=nzcdYz92LKDhpTW6

I requested information from the DOC - To: Records Access <records.access@doc.nyc.gov>; OpenRecords Support <openrecords@records.nyc.gov>
Subject: RE: [OpenRecords] FOIL Request Submitted to Department of Correction (DOC)

Sadly they require a name and a DOB before they can help.

I happen to come across this guy and thought maybe the LIBRA tattoo reads a 2 instead of a 3 ? and the birthday is OCT. 2? please give me your thoughts because I came across this guy and the stats sort of line up.. Let me know what you guys think?

3500DMDEU[1].jpg

Stefan Rombusch
Missing since September 29, 1989 from Marl, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: October 2, 1970
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 178 cm - 5'10"
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Short, blond hair; blue-green-eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Stefan Rombusch was last seen on 29 September 1989.
In a letter dated 30 September 1989, (sent from Essen) he told his parents he had to disappear for a while.
Investigation through Interpol revealed that one day earlier Stefan Rombusch had travelled to New York.
However, poster campaigns, appeals on TV and research through consulates in the United States and Latin America proved fruitless.
Stefan had taken only summer clothing so he was thought to head for warmer regions.
From 23 June to 21 July 1989 Stefan had participated in a language class in Los Angeles. Other participants didn't notice that he had contacts with any strangers during that time.

this is the only other Oct 3rd birthday I have found that went missing Before this UID was found. I found 2 others who went missing after and some women with that Birthdate but that is all..
I find this guy and his situation to be a bit impossible for it to be our John Doe but I am putting him on the thread since he is the only Oct 3rd birthday I have found that has gone missing before the date. He seems older and his height is a bit off also.. But here goes

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3657dmco.html

I happen to come across this guy and thought maybe the LIBRA tattoo reads a 2 instead of a 3 ? and the birthday is OCT. 2? please give me your thoughts because I came across this guy and the stats sort of line up.. Let me know what you guys think?

attachment.php

Stefan Rombusch
Missing since September 29, 1989 from Marl, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: October 2, 1970
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 178 cm - 5'10"
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Short, blond hair; blue-green-eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Stefan Rombusch was last seen on 29 September 1989.
In a letter dated 30 September 1989, (sent from Essen) he told his parents he had to disappear for a while.
Investigation through Interpol revealed that one day earlier Stefan Rombusch had travelled to New York.
However, poster campaigns, appeals on TV and research through consulates in the United States and Latin America proved fruitless.
Stefan had taken only summer clothing so he was thought to head for warmer regions.
From 23 June to 21 July 1989 Stefan had participated in a language class in Los Angeles. Other participants didn't notice that he had contacts with any strangers during that time.

Interesting madamx that you found this missing person. I don't think it's our John Doe (blond straight hair instead of brown curly) but this will be a man with the "wait a minute effect" looking at other UID's in the future.

these photos are all from 1988 from the NYC DOB site they are from 1988 but by 1996 it pretty much looked similar

IMG_7933.jpgthis is a photo of the building the that the box with the guy was found in front of it probably did not have scaffolding by 1996 but who knows

IMG_7934.jpgthis is the building right across the street from where the man and the box were found not the large building that we see on google maps now I think new building was built in 2000

IMG_7937.jpgthis is the building that I had posted earlier by mistake.. its a little down the block across the street

IMG_7936.jpgthese are the 3 little buildings in between the building that the guy was found and the Fashion school.. those buildings are still there also..you can see them on google the trees are much larger

anyway I had found these and thought I should post to give a little more idea of what it looked like then

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back