NY - NYC Mayor Eric Adams indicted on federal criminal charges - Sept. 25, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

clearskies1

Reaction score
Mayor Eric L. Adams has been indicted on federal criminal charges, according to people with knowledge of the matter, and will be the first mayor in New York City history to be charged while in office.

The indictment is sealed, and it was unclear what charge or charges Mr. Adams will face or when he will surrender to the authorities. Federal prosecutors are expected to announce the details of the indictment on Thursday.

“I always knew that If I stood my ground for New Yorkers that I would be a target — and a target I became,” Mr. Adams, 64, said in a statement Wednesday night. “If I am charged, I am innocent and I will fight this with every ounce of my strength and spirit.”

The unprecedented indictment comes a little less than a year after federal agents searched the home of Mr. Adams’s chief fund-raiser and seized the mayor’s electronic devices as he left a public event in Manhattan.

The mayor and his aides have said he was cooperating with the authorities, and Mr. Adams has continued to insist that he has done nothing wrong.

Mayor Eric L. Adams has been indicted on federal criminal charges, according to people with knowledge of the matter, and will be the first mayor in New York City history to be charged while in office.

The indictment is sealed, and it was unclear what charge or charges Mr. Adams will face or when he will surrender to the authorities. Federal prosecutors are expected to announce the details of the indictment on Thursday.

“I always knew that If I stood my ground for New Yorkers that I would be a target — and a target I became,” Mr. Adams, 64, said in a statement Wednesday night. “If I am charged, I am innocent and I will fight this with every ounce of my strength and spirit.”

The unprecedented indictment comes a little less than a year after federal agents searched the home of Mr. Adams’s chief fund-raiser and seized the mayor’s electronic devices as he left a public event in Manhattan.

The mayor and his aides have said he was cooperating with the authorities, and Mr. Adams has continued to insist that he has done nothing wrong.

well... this is an uncomfortable nightcap.

well... this is an uncomfortable nightcap.
It's been wild with the recent federal raids in NYC. Unclear if these recent raids are related to the indictment.

Last edited:
Apparently, he's saying he won't resign. How can he effectively run the city? I find it alarming.

"A defiant Adams said in a taped message that he is not stepping down if charged.

“I put the people of New York before party and politics. Now, If I am charged, many may say I should resign because I cannot manage the city while fighting the case,” he said

“Make no mistake, you elected me to lead this city and lead it, I will.”

Last edited:
Apparently, he's saying he won't resign. How can he run the city? I find it alarming.

"A defiant Adams said in a taped message that he is not stepping down if charged.

“I put the people of New York before party and politics. Now, If I am charged, many may say I should resign because I cannot manage the city while fighting the case,” he said

NY citizens does not deserve this circus show. Unless he feels he was set up by the Feds but so many of his administration have been investigated. 2024 has been wild . IMO

Apparently, he's saying he won't resign. How can he run the city? I find it alarming.

Next in line would be NYC Advocate, who is Jumaane Williams. AFAIK, Williams has not been a target of any investigations.

jmo

It's been wild with the recent federal raids in NYC. Unclear if these recent raids are related to the indictment.

Clearly I'm going to have to brush up on the details of this case!
(Unfortunately I'm traveling in the near future and may not have time to keep up, so I'll have to rely on others here on WS to keep me updated!)
What's with all of these corrupt power figures? (Of course I'm not so naive to think that this hasn't gone on back to the beginning of organized civilzation.)

Last edited:
The Mayor can be removed by the Governor, but this has never been done before. https://pix11.com/news/local-news/is-adams-still-mayor-after-a-criminal-indictment/

I looked at the NYC Charter and it's not detailed about removal:

"The mayor may be removed from office by the governor upon charges and after service upon him of a copy of the charges and an opportunity to be heard in his defense. Pending the preparation and disposition of charges, the governor may suspend the mayor for a period not exceeding thirty days."

"Sources who are familiar with the matter told THE CITY that Adams is being charged with acting as an unregistered foreign agent for taking actions in his official capacity after receiving donations from foreign sources."

"Sources who are familiar with the matter told THE CITY that Adams is being charged with acting as an unregistered foreign agent for taking actions in his official capacity after receiving donations from foreign sources."
"Details about the exact accusations remained unclear, but are believed to be connected to allegations of the Turkish government illegally funneling money into his mayoral campaign in exchange for approval of the Turkish consulate in Manhattan, according to sources." NYC Mayor Eric Adams indicted in federal investigation: Sources

"Details about the exact accusations remained unclear, but are believed to be connected to allegations of the Turkish government illegally funneling money into his mayoral campaign in exchange for approval of the Turkish consulate in Manhattan, according to sources." NYC Mayor Eric Adams indicted in federal investigation: Sources

So much corruption looms over our country. It doesn’t matter what party you support, it’s everywhere.

How do these things work? Did the Turkish government initiate it? Do they find candidates who are running and appear like they will eagerly turn gangster?

Consulate property in USA is not considered "foreign soil," but there is diplomatic immunity. I would think it's a big deal to allow a consulate in NYC (and I am kind of surprised the mayor would have the sole decision-making power about that....guess we're about to learn about this when following this case!).

This info about diplomatic and consular immunity might be helpful as we go along: https://www.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/2018-DipConImm_v5_Web.pdf

jmo

Consulate property in USA is not considered "foreign soil," but there is diplomatic immunity. I would think it's a big deal to allow a consulate in NYC (and I am kind of surprised the mayor would have the sole decision-making power about that....guess we're about to learn about this when following this case!).

This info about diplomatic and consular immunity might be helpful as we go along: https://www.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/2018-DipConImm_v5_Web.pdf

jmo
From that government document linked above, I'm learning there are different levels of diplomatic immunity. Diplomatic agents are the top level, followed by employees doing administrative work, followed by service staff who are janitors, etc.

Here's the level of immunity for the top level, Diplomatic Agents:

"Diplomatic agents enjoy the highest degree of privileges and immunities. They enjoy complete personal inviolability, which means that they may not be handcuffed (except in extraordinary circumstances), arrested, or detained; and neither their property(including vehicles) nor residences may be entered or searched. Diplomatic agents also enjoy complete immunity from the criminal jurisdiction of the host country’s courts and thus cannot be prosecuted no matter how serious the offense unless their immunity is waived by the sending state."

They also "enjoy complete immunity from the obligation to provide evidence as witnesses and cannot be required to testify even, for example, if they have been the victim of a crime.

Family members forming part of the household of diplomatic agents enjoy precisely the same privileges and immunities as do the sponsoring diplomatic agents."

Just saying.

jmo

edited to add; This is in regards to the allegations that Adams took campaign money from Turkey in exchange of a consulate in NYC.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back