NY - NYC Mayor Eric Adams indicted on federal criminal charges - Sept. 25, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Next in line would be NYC Advocate, who is Jumaane Williams. AFAIK, Williams has not been a target of any investigations.

jmo
Replying to myself, NYC Public Advocate, Jumaane Williams, would fill the spot of mayor should Adams step down (I hope he does) or is removed, but would only serve for 80 days until a special election is held. Williams could run for that, but so could others.

I don't see Mayor Adams as having the public or political support to soldier through these allegations AND run this complicated and complex city at the same time. Stay tuned, I guess.

jmo

Feds searched Gracie Mansion early this morning:

"Federal agents early Thursday swept in to search the official residence of Mayor Eric Adams, a stunning and aggressive move that capped a lengthy corruption investigation into whether the mayor conspired with the Turkish government to funnel illegal foreign money into his campaign coffers.

The search at Gracie Mansion on the Upper East Side began about 6 a.m., just hours before the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York and officials from the F.B.I. and the city’s Department of Investigation were expected to announce federal charges against Mr. Adams."

2 years earlier

'....his party lifestyle has also drawn condemnation from critics, who question how he affords to hang out at the swanky members-only NoHo club Zero Bond and pricey Midtown eatery Osteria La Baia.
The social lawmaker visited the high-end restaurant 14 times in one month over the summer — on his $258,750 annual salary.'

ps
this isn't a vegan restaurant

Last edited:
Interesting. I bought Eric Adam's cookbook, long before he became Mayor of NYC, when he worked for the NYPD, he became vegan.

"Healthy At Last: A Plant-Based Approach to Preventing and Reversing Diabetes and Other Chronic Illnesses,”.

The book is pretty amazing, and follows his own story of being diabetic, and changing his diet. I guess if he goes to prison, he can still be committed to a vegan diet.

Another report on the search.

"Another black SUV that was spotted pulling into the property under the cover of darkness appeared to be a prisoner transportation vehicle with a steel partition separating the front and back seats clearly visible, photos taken by The Post show.....

Despite the law enforcement presence outside Gracie Mansion, Adams wasn’t expected to surrender to authorities until early next week, the sources added."

Reactions: byo
2 years earlier

'....his party lifestyle has also drawn condemnation from critics, who question how he affords to hang out at the swanky members-only NoHo club Zero Bond and pricey Midtown eatery Osteria La Baia.
The social lawmaker visited the high-end restaurant 14 times in one month over the summer — on his $258,750 annual salary.'

ps
this isn't a vegan restaurant
To be honest, as a NYer and American, I'm less concerned about his partying than I am with the idea he took money that potentially undermines city and national security. And, I also think that is not the only issue - I think the financial corruption will be more widespread.

jmo

To be honest, as a NYer and American, I'm less concerned about his partying than I am with the idea he took money that potentially undermines city and national security. And, I also think that is not the only issue - I think the financial corruption will be more widespread.

jmo
Could he face federal charges for that?

Investigators have focused since 2021 on whether Mr. Adams and his campaign conspired with the Turkish government to receive illegal foreign donations, and on whether Mr. Adams pressured Fire Department officials to sign off on the opening of a Manhattan high-rise consulate building for the Turkish government despite safety concerns.

jmo
Yes I selected it to emphasise the quote which hints at unknown funding sources. (Even the NYPost is more interested in that question because they say this venue doesn't fit with Adams own lifestyle.)

The allegations against the Cabans and the Banks brothers are shocking and subpoenas for his officials interactions with China, Qatar, Israel, South Korea and Uzbekistan are intriguing too.

Yes I selected it to emphasise the quote which hints at unknown funding sources. (Even the NYPost is more interested in that question because they say this venue doesn't fit with Adams own lifestyle.)

The allegations against the Cabans and the Banks brothers are shocking and subpoenas for his officials interactions with China, Qatar, Israel, South Korea and Uzbekistan are intriguing too.
I wouldn't say "even the NYPost" as that newspaper is very anti-Adams. He deserves criticism (and I think he should leave office) and I'm not saying the mayor's partying was necessarily on the up and up (I don't know), but just putting a word of caution about the source. And Adams is not charged with spending money on partying. I'm focused on the actual charges at the moment, not just any annoying thing about him (and there are plenty!).

But yes, the issue is money. But not his self-described swagger or diet.

jmo

Last edited:
Adams also received what the indictment described as “free rooms at opulent hotels, free meals at high-end restaurants and free luxurious entertainment while in Turkey.”

Eric Adams’s Turkey Ties: Travel, Donations and a Meeting With Erdogan

Mr. Adams, a Democrat in his second year in office, has longstanding ties to Turkey. The mayor has said that he met the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, when he was Brooklyn borough president, and that he has visited the country at least six times.

Now federal prosecutors and the F.B.I. are investigating Mr. Adams’s connections to Turkey, including whether he pressured city officials to sign off on the Turkish government’s new consulate building in Manhattan and the role of a Brooklyn building company owned by Turkish immigrants that organized a fund-raising event for him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back