NY NY - Queens, Leben Home for Adults, WhtFem 50-99, UP2800, Crawl space of freezer rm in bsmnt, Aug'93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

madamx

Reaction score
1099UFNY_LARGE.jpg

Date of Discovery: August 6, 1993
Location of Discovery: Queens, Queens County, New York
Estimated Date of Death: 1 to 5 years prior
State of Remains: Partial skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 50-99 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'3"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: A partially-healed fracture of left distal radius, for which she wore a cast. Possible healed fracture of her nose.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Edentulous.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent's partial skeletal remains were found in a crawl space of a freezer room in the basement of a home for the mentally impaired at 80-08 45th Avenue in Queens by the new owner.

Unidentified Person Case

Location Found Map
Street Address 80-08 45th Ave Queens, New York 11373
CountyQueens County

Circumstances of Recovery
Skeletal remains were found in the basement of a facility in Queens (Leben Home for Adults). The remains were found in a crawl space in the basement. Postmortem interval is likely greater than one year.

The Lost & The Found
Skeletal remains were found in the basement of a home for mentally impaired by the new owner. The remains were in a crawl space in freezer room. Postmortem interval is likely greater than one year.

NAMI Calls for Investigation in New York State | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

Dear Governor Pataki:

On behalf of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill's 220,000 members and 1200 affiliates, nationally and in New York State, we ask your immediate assistance to begin a comprehensive investigation into the neglect and abuse of people with severe mental illnesses in the state's "board and care" industry, and to seek legislative reforms aimed at improving housing and other living conditions for one of the most vulnerable segments of the state's population.

Our concern arises in part from the recent report in The New York Times ("Inquiry Finds Mentally Ill Patients Endured 'Assembly Line' Surgery," March 18, 2001) that 24 residents of the Leben Home for Adults in Elmhurst, N.Y. were subjected to prostate surgery without legitimate examinations, informed consent, or case management. Furthermore, the Leben Home, a for-profit facility with about 350 residents, has a long reported history of unsanitary conditions, ineffectual state sanctions, and bizarre incidents, including in 1993 the discovery of a decomposed body wedged behind a freezer.

We believe that the reported conditions at the Leben Home are only the tip of an iceberg. In some cases, the State of New York may even be complicit in such outrages through neglect and inaction.

In recent years, NAMI members have reported deplorable conditions at the Leben Home and other facilities to state authorities. In some cases, their concerns have been dismissed. In others, penalties, which have resulted, have been wholly ineffective. Only when complaints have been turned over to the New York Times or other media does it ever seem that such cases are taken seriously.

The Doe Network: Case File 2818DFNY

AAbbas.jpg

AAbbas1.jpg

Arlene Abbas
Missing since January 6, 1989 from Brooklyn, New York City, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date of Birth: October 12, 1952
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 36 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 160 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Strawberry blonde hair; blue eyes.
    • Clothing: May be wearing traditional Muslim clothing.
    • Medical: Mental health issues
    • Dentals: Not available.
    • AKA: Arlene Day Abbas
    • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Arlene Abbas was born in Indiana and eventually married and went to live in New Orleans with her husband and children. Arlene converted to the Islamic faith at the time of her marriage. In the mid 1980's Arlene and her husband were divorced and Arlene went to New York, leaving her small children with her husband.
In 1989 she was hospitalized in New York city for mental health issues and subsequently released to a halfway house in Brooklyn. Arlene left the halfway house in Brooklyn on January 6, 1989 and was never seen again.
It is possible Arlene is institutionalized or does not know how to contact family members.

The Doe Network: Case File 2818DFNY

AAbbas.jpg

AAbbas1.jpg

Arlene Abbas
Missing since January 6, 1989 from Brooklyn, New York City, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date of Birth: October 12, 1952
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 36 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 160 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Strawberry blonde hair; blue eyes.
    • Clothing: May be wearing traditional Muslim clothing.
    • Medical: Mental health issues
    • Dentals: Not available.
    • AKA: Arlene Day Abbas
    • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Arlene Abbas was born in Indiana and eventually married and went to live in New Orleans with her husband and children. Arlene converted to the Islamic faith at the time of her marriage. In the mid 1980's Arlene and her husband were divorced and Arlene went to New York, leaving her small children with her husband.
In 1989 she was hospitalized in New York city for mental health issues and subsequently released to a halfway house in Brooklyn. Arlene left the halfway house in Brooklyn on January 6, 1989 and was never seen again.
It is possible Arlene is institutionalized or does not know how to contact family members.

Great find, madamx! :) Little off on the age, but we've seen UIDs with wrong estimated age before, sooooo... Is there any information on Arlene's height?

She's listed as 5'0 according to TCP; Jane Doe is 5'3.
Arlene Day Abbas – The Charley Project

Have you called her in? Seems like they both have DNA in, but I still think it's worth a shot since their stories are quite similar and the timelines add up.
No I have not called her in. I just found her today. If you want to call her in you can. Oh great that you found her height. I guess the UID is just a couple of inches taller but I wonder if it's that much of a difference.

No I have not called her in. I just found her today. If you want to call her in you can. Oh great that you found her height. I guess the UID is just a couple of inches taller but I wonder if it's that much of a difference.

Finders keepers! ;) You've earned it!

I found it a bit odd that Jane Doe's height was measured with such precision, especially when only skeletal remains w/missing parts were found (according to NamUs), when even UIDs who's only been dead for a few hours are measured with estimated height.

Finders keepers! ;) You've earned it!

I found it a bit odd that Jane Doe's height was measured with such precision, especially when only skeletal remains w/missing parts were found (according to NamUs), when even UIDs who's only been dead for a few hours are measured with estimated height.
Yeah I often wonder how correct really is the info if height when body remains are founds. Also the same with Age. I think the only thing I go with is teeth and hair.

I never called her in.. feel free to call her in.

NY - NY - Theresa Schroeder, 65, Queens, 28 September 1992

Theresa Schroeder
NamUs

No photos located

Demographics
Missing Age: 65 Years
Current Age: 94 Years
First Name: Theresa
Last Name: Schroeder
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 2" - 5' 2" (62 - 62 Inches)
Weight: 160 - 160 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: September 28, 1992
NamUs Case Created: June 16, 2020
Last Known Location Map
County: Queens County
Missing From Tribal Land: Unknown
Primary Residence on Tribal Land: --
Circumstances of Disappearance: Missing

Physical Description
Hair Color: Gray or Partially Gray
Left Eye Color: Gray
Right Eye Color: Gray

Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing: LIGHT GREEN SUIT, BLACK SHOES SIZE 7

Seriously, looks like one of the dementia suffering or mentally ill residents got lost in the freezer room and died there and nobody bothered looking for her. Maybe unintentially, maybe on purpose to collect her insurance checks.
Have the nursing home resident records been checked?

Her earlier files question residents who were found dead in their rooms, fires and a desperate need for improved security.

McKenzie said one woman was reported missing only to have been found in the basement.

Love It Or Leben, Adult Home Eyesore Gets State Thumbs Up

I wonder if that is the same woman found in the basement or are they talking about another person ?

Below is a newspaper.com article from when it happened. I can’t blow it up I don’t have an account.

Attachments

• 78132FEC-5085-40BC-91E1-971B58F4A88C.png
    78132FEC-5085-40BC-91E1-971B58F4A88C.png
    393.2 KB · Views: 11
Also it is not clear if the woman reported missing was found dead or alive in the cellar.
But I guess our JD is a similar case, if not indeed the same... she does not appear to have been an intruder from the outside and had recent medical care. I guess she was mentally ill or had dementia or alzheimers and wandered off unnoticed until she locked herself in the cellar by mistake.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psychesleuth
Back