NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not reveal that weeks ago, when memories would be fresh?

IM confirmed on FB that a "minimal" transaction did take place at the scrap yard. Soooo.....if ID is required at these places and he didn't have any, how does the transaction take place? He's a regular at the yard and they allow the transaction? Is he wearing a work badge that they accept? Perhaps car registration is always in the glove compartment and they accept that? (no photo) Does any of this matter?

IM confirmed on FB that a "minimal" transaction did take place at the scrap yard. Soooo.....if ID is required at these places and he didn't have any, how does the transaction take place? He's a regular at the yard and they allow the transaction? Is he wearing a work badge that they accept? Perhaps car registration is always in the glove compartment and they accept that? (no photo) Does any of this matter?

call them and ask

was he at the scrap yard on his bike in his car or took the train a little help here

One thing I used to do with my bike was take the front tire off to get it into the back seat of my car when I didn't have a bike rack.

was he at the scrap yard on his bike in his car or took the train a little help here

You wouldnt ride your bike in this area. It is totally industrial. Plus, if you are at a scrap yard, you would typically haul stuff there to turn in for cash. He wouldnt be able to carry much, if anything at all if he was riding a bike.

Forgetting the bike for a moment.....

Arrow Scrap located almost dead center of Rte 110 and Train station. It totally fits (cell phone pinged on Rte 110 and went dead at 2:45pm) that he traveled after work right to the scrap yard to turn in some left over material from work. There are many scrap yards, some closer to his home, so my guess is what others have suggested that he knew someone there, they were friendly, etc...or why would he go out of the way?

My theory is something went badly for RM at the scrap yard, or shortly after he left. Perps could have easily outnumbered him and harmed him there. He's in a hot red car, its an easy target. I know it may not seem probable at that time during the day light, but you never know. Many of these places employ illegals and day laborers...some of them being more gang like (with nothing to lose) than others that are simply trying to make food money.

I don't know a motive, if money was involved they would surely have chopped up the car for some extra bucks, but they left it perfectly in tact. Maybe he just had words with someone and it got out of control.

If this theory prevails, and I sure hope it does not..... there are dumps along that section of West Babylon, and many many industrial places that are desolate at night. It would be a great place to stash a body. And as I speculated before, perps wait until dark, drive his car (seat pulled up) to the train station, get a spot right up front (since at this point at night the station parking is much lighter--VERY UNLIKELY you would get a spot that good if you went before cars cleared out, figure 6pm) and simply walk away making it seem like he split town. Remember what IM said, he never took the train, hating leaving his car. Perp has NO WAY of knowing that, and in their heads it seems like a great idea to leave the car there.

Or, he simply rode right to the train station after getting a few bucks at the scrap metal yard and voluntarily disappeared. I am hoping for this scenario, as it is the best one available.

His wife just confirmed on the FB it was Arrow Scrap in West Babylon where he was seen last.

My instinct based on website seems they are legit. (I could be wrong)
http://www.arrowscrap.com/about-arrow-scrap-corp

IM also mentions transaction was minimal. (There was a transaction)

In regard to my own question about bike paths I found this:

Bethpage Bikeway

https://www.dot.ny.gov/bethpagebikeway

Why bring up the bike if not a clue? IDK, but if it was not pertinent, it would have never been mentioned. JMHO.

My question is did Mr Mayer get his hand caught in the cookie jar were it did not Belong taking wireing or copper from his job site and was about to get caught whether by the police or by the mafia maybe the scrap metal yard would have gotten in trouble for this also who really knows how long this has been going on and how much was made did he steal these wires or copper from the construction site bad decesions have been made in the past is this another

Since he was in construction, they may well have known him at the scrap yard and not required him to show ID. I went to the website too and agree that it looks very legit and professional, more of a recycling place - however I do know that material like copper pipes and wiring get stolen and sold constantly.

I'd really like to know if they interviewed anyone there. And what kind of transaction? Was he just bringing in stuff to recycle or did he sell something? And if so, how much money did he get? Was it enough to buy a bus or train ticket to someplace far away? I'm not sure if you need ID or a credit card to buy bus/train tickets nowadays, though - I bet you do...

My instinct based on website seems they are legit. (I could be wrong)
http://www.arrowscrap.com/about-arrow-scrap-corp

IM also mentions transaction was minimal. (There was a transaction)

In regard to my own question about bike paths I found this:

Bethpage Bikeway

https://www.dot.ny.gov/bethpagebikeway

Why bring up the bike if not a clue? IDK, but if it was not pertinent, it would have never been mentioned. JMHO.

The last I heard, Captain Byrnes stated on the day of the most recent search that there MIGHT be a bike involved so they were looking for that. Has it been established that in fact there was a bike and that along with Robert the bike was also missing?

Wedding ring?

The last I heard, Captain Byrnes stated on the day of the most recent search that there MIGHT be a bike involved so they were looking for that. Has it been established that in fact there was a bike and that along with Robert the bike was also missing?

Why say it if not a concern. Why was it brought up in the first place?
From what I say saw on video, these are real search and rescue with dogs.
I going with his word on this. It's all I have right now. :twocents:

Since he was in construction, they may well have known him at the scrap yard and not required him to show ID. I went to the website too and agree that it looks very legit and professional, more of a recycling place - however I do know that material like copper pipes and wiring get stolen and sold constantly.

I'd really like to know if they interviewed anyone there. And what kind of transaction? Was he just bringing in stuff to recycle or did he sell something? And if so, how much money did he get? Was it enough to buy a bus or train ticket to someplace far away? I'm not sure if you need ID or a credit card to buy bus/train tickets nowadays, though - I bet you do...

Don't go by the website, on how it looks, etc.....

Stealing scrap metal and making cash is a big business, don't be fooled. Just search Two Brother's Scrap Metal & the Long Island RailRoad. Employees from the LIRR were nailed stealing material from their own jobs. Would transport in their own PERSONAL vehicles to scrap metal place. They netted about $250,000 before they were caught.

This could be a theory to go on....
Let's hope RM was not involved in something like this. It is possible that Much Different from the LIRR, the "bosses" who he stole from (think of who runs the unions, construction, trash hauling, in NY) took matters into their own hands if they found out about him, set him up after learning of his routine, and harmed him.

Why say it if not a concern. Why was it brought up in the first place?
From what I say saw on video, these are real search and rescue with dogs.
I going with his word on this. It's all I have right now. :twocents:

I know the searches are real, and I have no reason to doubt the officer's word. I wasn't implying anything like that.

Captain Byrnes stated, "He might have a mountain bike", and it may be a fact. But, if I assume it to be true I could overlook or even dismiss other possibilities concerning Robert's point last seen or his last known type of transportation if they conflict with the bicycle theory.

Captain Byrnes sounded to me like he thought there might be a bike, but he, nor Ida have stated to my knowledge that he definitely or even most likely had or was seen with or on a bike that last day. If I hear those words from LE or Ida, I will consider it fact. Until then I'll still explore the bike (possibly a folding bike?) theory along with him walking off, taking the train, or other theories.

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/37375

You don't need ID to purchase a LIRR ticket.

What is really bothering me is that here he has been missing for 4 weeks and we are only hearing he was last seen at this particular scrap yard NOW. What about people who may have seen him? The time to get people's memory is at the beginning.

Don't go by the website, on how it looks, etc.....

Stealing scrap metal and making cash is a big business, don't be fooled. Just search Two Brother's Scrap Metal & the Long Island RailRoad. Employees from the LIRR were nailed stealing material from their own jobs. Would transport in their own PERSONAL vehicles to scrap metal place. They netted about $250,000 before they were caught.

This could be a theory to go on....
Let's hope RM was not involved in something like this. It is possible that Much Different from the LIRR, the "bosses" who he stole from (think of who runs the unions, construction, trash hauling, in NY) took matters into their own hands if they found out about him, set him up after learning of his routine, and harmed him.

Thanks again Jerry. As I mentioned earlier I worked for an electrician. He was a former union member. Stories he told me, shocked even me. He bragged a lot. I've been around the block a few hundred times and I have good instincts.

Truth is, there's a lot of corruption out there. LOTS.
I have a feeling there is more here than we are all seeing right now. :twocents:

I know the searches are real, and I have no reason to doubt the officer's word. I wasn't implying anything like that.

Captain Byrnes stated, "He might have a mountain bike", and it may be a fact. But, if I assume it to be true I could overlook or even dismiss other possibilities concerning Robert's point last seen or his last known type of transportation if they conflict with the bicycle theory.

Captain Byrnes sounded to me like he thought there might be a bike, but he, nor Ida have stated to my knowledge that he definitely or even most likely had or was seen with or on a bike that last day. If I hear those words from LE or Ida, I will consider it fact. Until then I'll still explore the bike (possibly a folding bike?) theory along with him walking off, taking the train, or other theories.

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/37375

Red Herring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members